Let's imagine that you (or your customer) have a great idea of a project. You are working on it locally alone. Later you build a team and you need to share code among teammates and show an intermediate result to a client. You are not a DevOps - you dont know each teeny-tiny technical detail of server configuration. More than that - you dont want to know. You like just to code! And, of course, you dont want to hire a special person to do it. What to do? You are searching for a shared hosting. And what you can see - almost all shared hostings provide you with an ugly cPanel interface and force you to upload code via SFTP. SFTP? Are you kidding me? It is not the year 2000! You need at least: an SSH access, Git, and Drush. Youd like to have a simple and convenient administration panel which allows you to do some minimal server or PHP configuration. Youd like to have isolated environments and technical domains. And of course, youd like to keep it simple.
Sounds like a story of your life? If the answer is yes - this article is for you.
In this and the following articles, we will tell you about popular cloud hostings: Pantheon and Acquia Cloud. Well observe advantages and disadvantages based on our development experience.
Let's talk about Patheon first. Pantheon is a Website Management Platform. It allows you to work with Drupal and WordPress projects.
You can start a new Drupal 7, Drupal 8 or WordPress project in a few clicks. You just have to enter a project name. Thats all: Pantheon cloud will do all the things for you.
Also, you can migrate an existing website to Patheon following these steps:
A manual migration option is also available. If you are familiar with SSH and Linux CLI - this option is for you. If you choose the manual migration, Pantheon will create an empty project for you. You have to upload a codebase, the DB, and the static files manually via SSH and using Git. See the manual here.
Ok, you created a new project or migrated an existing one and now you have an access to the Pantheon dashboard.
The Pantheon dashboard is really nice and well-designed. In comparison to standard cPanel - it has an intuitive UI. The Pantheon dashboard allows you to perform different actions on a project very easy. You can:
More than that you can:
All these features are really useful and help with some route tasks of managing your project and environments.
Out of box Pantheon provides 3 environments: dev, test, and prod. Pantheon creates technical domains for each environment in the following format:
Lets assume that the dev environment is your working environment. Changes are available right after you push commit. You don't need to pull changes - Patheon will pull everything automatically.
The test environment can be very close to the prod environment. You deploy some ready features into this environment to test it before going live.
The live environment will include all tested features.
Of course, a way of using these environments is up to you.
Starting with this, let's talk about development experience and a workflow.
There are two types of workflow provided by Pantheon: standard and multidev.
You are working in the master branch. Of course, you or your teammates can create a branch as you used to, but Patheon doesnt see any of them and you cant switch an environment to use any of these branches.
Pantheon provides the autopull feature so that you shouldnt pull your commits: it will be done automatically out of box. All your commits go to the dev environment.
To deploy changes into the test environment, you have to open this test environment and click deploy or do it with Terminus tool.
So, if you need some changes to be deployed to live, they should be deployed to the test environment at first and then to the live.
It sounds like a good flow: it means that you are testing all your features before they go live. But it is just on the one hand.
On the other hand, let's imagine that you are not working alone on a project. You push a feature to the dev, your teammate pushes another feature too. You are working on the same branch. At the particular moment, you have to deploy changes to the test or to the live. As far as you are working on the same branch, your teammates changes will be deployed too. But you only need your changes. In this case, you have to revert teammates changes, deploy yours, and then revert teammates changes on the dev again. Not a very good experience, do you agree?
It can be solved with enabling the multidev feature.
The multidev workflow allows to fork the entire stack (code and content), work independently, then merge code changes back into the master. Each forked branch will have its own separate development environment, including a database, files, and a separate Git branch. Now, you can create a separate environment for every task or feature on your project and work independently.
It is more flexible, isnt it?
Yes, but I still need more flexibility. And it is the only thing I dont like in Pantheon.
I dont have a full control of my repo. Of course, the idea of the dev -> test -> live flow is the right idea. But sometimes I want to have separate Git branches for different environments. There is no way to have it in Patheon.
Another bad thing - hotfixes.
What if I need to push a fix very fast to live? Should I still forward my commit through the dev-test-live deployment chain? What if there are some outstanding commits in the dev? They will be deployed too and, of course, I need to avoid it. How to solve it?
Pantheon uses the tags system for deployment. So, if you deploy something to the test, pantheon_test_
So, to create a hotfix to live you have to:
After that, the new live tag will be automatically deployed to live. It sounds like a hack - but it is the only way to create a hotfix in Pantheon.
As I said, this is the only bad thing in Pantheon from my point of view.
Lets examine other Pantheon cool features.
Another important feature is a command line interface which provides advanced interaction with the Pantheon cloud platform. Terminus enables you to do almost everything in a terminal that you can do in the dashboard, and much more:
If you are familiar with the Linux terminal - it is a good alternative to a UI dashboard.
Cloud hosting platforms are the next level of hosting solutions. In this article, you learned about the popular platform called Pantheon and how easy you can deploy the development-ready environment just in a few clicks. If you are still using an old hosting platform with cPanel - it is a good time to migrate your project to a cloud hosting.
Migrate my site
- Ways In Which Cloud Hosting Affects SEO Services And Results - HostReview.com - January 13th, 2020
- Home Office reinforces commitment to AWS with 100m cloud hosting deal - ComputerWeekly.com - January 13th, 2020
- WSL 2: Where is it, and where is it going? - TechRepublic - January 13th, 2020
- The biggest govtech deals of the week (13/01/20) - NS Tech - January 13th, 2020
- Lost in Migration? Attributing carbon when outsourcing to cloud - Data Economy - January 13th, 2020
- UKCloud announces new discounts to help organisations thrive and build an increasingly independent national capability - RealWire - January 13th, 2020
- How Cloud Computing is Driving the Industrial Revolution 4.0 - Elets - January 13th, 2020
- Informatica expands its leadership team and appoints Amit Walia as CEO - Data Economy - January 8th, 2020
- Enhancing Hyperscale Cloud Growth at the infra // STRUCTURE Summit - Yahoo Finance - January 8th, 2020
- Green House Data Adds Digital Transformation Expert Victor Tingler to Executive Team to Lead Enterprise Consulting Services - Yahoo Finance - January 8th, 2020
- Five Things To Do in St. Cloud, Jan. 13-17 - SC Times - January 8th, 2020
- FASB cloud computing cost standard to soon take effect - Compliance Week - January 3rd, 2020
- Amazon, Google, Microsoft: Who had the best year in cloud in 2019? - The Register - January 3rd, 2020
- Recovery In The Cloud: An Online Alternative To Face-To-Face AA Meetings - Forbes - January 3rd, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market Future Investment Initiatives, Growing with Technology Development, New Innovations, Competitive Analysis and... - January 3rd, 2020
- Five Things To Do in St. Cloud, Jan. 6-10 - SC Times - January 3rd, 2020
- Are you ready to rock? City of St. Cloud hosting annual New Year's Eve event - Osceola News-Gazette - December 30th, 2019
- The biggest government tech stories of 2019 part one - PublicTechnology - December 30th, 2019
- The year of the French unicorns - TechCrunch - December 30th, 2019
- Startup Events This Week: Pulse42 and Mixer By Inc42, Drone Festival - Inc42 Media - December 30th, 2019
- Head to Head Survey: Snap (NYSE:SNAP) and Infinite Group (NYSE:IMCI) - Trent Times - December 30th, 2019
- Microsoft and Oracle extend their international cloud love-in - Data Economy - December 26th, 2019
- GDS publishes guidance on avoiding cloud lock-in - UKAuthority.com - December 26th, 2019
- Three Most Valuable Benefits that Encourage Companies to Adopt Serverless Architecture - Embedded Computing Design - December 26th, 2019
- Year-end Experience with the future prediction from Leaders - APN News - December 26th, 2019
- Key Factors behind Colocation and Managed Hosting Services Market Climbs on Positive Outlook of Booming Sales - Market Reports Observer - December 26th, 2019
- Will 2020 Be the Year of LoRa Networks? - Embedded Computing Design - December 26th, 2019
- Building Tech Solutions And Giving Back - Forbes - December 26th, 2019
- Allscripts Healthcare Solutions (NASDAQ:MDRX) Upgraded to Hold by ValuEngine - Slater Sentinel - December 26th, 2019
- Unisys objects to CFPB cloud award - Washington Technology - December 19th, 2019
- Cloud Hosting Service Market Size Will Grow Profitably In Upcoming Estimation, Challenges And Future Forecast 2025 - Bulletin Line - December 19th, 2019
- BP selects AWS over Azure for cloud-first strategy and climate ambitions - Diginomica - December 19th, 2019
- How to Eliminate IT Complexity and Succeed - Marketing Tech Outlook - December 19th, 2019
- Checkmarx Recognized as AWS Provider of Application Security Testing Solutions for Public Sector - HostReview.com - December 19th, 2019
- Bidco to acquire cloud firm after Boards agree on 79.4m deal - East Midlands Business Link - December 19th, 2019
- Bare Metal Cloud Market Scope and Opportunities Analysis 2017 2025 - News Cast Report - December 19th, 2019
- Kubernetes Security Leader Alcide Releases 2020 Predictions: Kubernetes on the Edge, Intelligent and Automated K8s Security and the Rise of... - December 19th, 2019
- Understanding the Benefits of Microsoft Azure Consulting for your Business - The Future of Things - December 19th, 2019
- Leaseweb USA Research Reveals that Nearly Two Thirds of Organizations Cite Hybrid or Private Cloud as the Future Infrastructure of Choice -... - December 19th, 2019
- Cloud Hosting Service Market Competitive Landscaping Mapping The Key Common Trends, Growth Analysis and Forecast 2024 - News Tribune - December 16th, 2019
- How SmartLogic helped these teams grow and manage scale with DevOps support - Technical.ly Brooklyn - December 16th, 2019
- Summit acquires fellow hosting company to boost its SMB reach - Data Economy - December 16th, 2019
- Atlassian welcomes third-party developers into the cloud with Forge - SDTimes.com - December 16th, 2019
- Working at the heart of digitalisation - Data Economy - December 16th, 2019
- Bare Metal Cloud Market 2019 In-Depth Analysis and Future Forecast 2019-2026 | Key Players include IBM Corporation , Oracle Corporation , Centurylink... - December 16th, 2019
- The Top 13 Cloud Computing Conferences to Attend in 2020 - Solutions Review - December 14th, 2019
- Oracle Plans To Ride ERP And Database To Greater Cloud Glory - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - December 14th, 2019
- Understanding Control, Security and Risk When Moving to Cloud - - Enterprise Times - December 14th, 2019
- 8 Cloud Outages That Shook The Tech World In 2019 - Analytics India Magazine - December 14th, 2019
- Microsoft Is Ignoring Amazons Dispute Over The U.S. JEDI Cloud Contract - Wccftech - December 14th, 2019
- Schneider Electric Wins 'AI/ Machine Learning Innovation' and 'Edge Project of the Year' at the 2019 SDC Awards - EnerCom Inc. - December 14th, 2019
- Firms believe hybrid or private cloud to be the future, research shows - DevOps Online - December 14th, 2019
- Global Bare Metal Cloud Market Foresight by 2019 2025| Key Companies IBM Corp., Oracle Corporation, Centurylink Incorporation, Rackspace Hosting... - December 14th, 2019
- What is Platform-as-a-Service? Everything you need to know about PaaS - TechRadar - December 9th, 2019
- Data security and the cloud: 3 things your team needs to know - TechBeacon - December 9th, 2019
- Australian animation studio, Animal Logic, partners with AWS to render films in the cloud - Which-50 - December 9th, 2019
- G7CR Technologies - The Journey of 2019 Microsoft Country Partner - Techstory - December 9th, 2019
- Service Express Addresses the Failure Curve at Gartner IT Infrastructure, Operations & Cloud Strategies Conference 2019 - PR Web - December 9th, 2019
- Global Cloud Hosting Service Market 2019 Industry Research, Segmentation, Key Players Analysis and Forecast to 2024 - News Midget - December 4th, 2019
- Logz.io Unveils First-Ever Open Source-Based Cloud Observability Platform Powered by ELK and Grafana - GlobeNewswire - December 4th, 2019
- 'Big 3' Public Cloud Providers: 4 Reasons Not to Use Them - ITPro Today - December 4th, 2019
- Global Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market 2019 by Manufacturers, Countries, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 - World Industry Reports - December 4th, 2019
- Join Us For The IBM i On The Public Cloud Webinar - IT Jungle - December 4th, 2019
- Amazon reveals new server chip to take on Intel - MyBroadband - December 4th, 2019
- SysGroup (LON:SYS) Hits New 1-Year Low at $33.50 - TechNewsObserver - December 4th, 2019
- How to match your IT workloads to the right cloud - TechBeacon - December 2nd, 2019
- Application modernisation in 2020 and beyond why businesses need to be ready now - CIO Australia - December 2nd, 2019
- Cloud Performance Varies Across the World, New Report Finds - ITPro Today - December 2nd, 2019
- Black Friday & Cyber Monday: These web hosting offers come only once a year - MyHostNews.com - November 30th, 2019
- HostNOC offering a big discount on its hosting and dedicated servers - Press Release - Digital Journal - November 30th, 2019
- Processing 30 billion images a month, heres how ImageKit delivers 98% of the optimised images in under 50 mil - YourStory - November 30th, 2019
- Cloud-based Database Market 2019 to Perceive Biggest Trend and Opportunity with Key Players Google, Amazon Web Services, IBM, Microsoft, Oracle,... - November 30th, 2019
- This Week in Jobs: We're one wild turkey - Technical.ly - November 30th, 2019
- Data Center Outsourcing and Hybrid Infrastructure Managed Services Market Revenue, Region Analysis, And Forecast 2024 - Space Market Research - November 30th, 2019
- Why Is Apple Trusted More Than Google? - Forbes - November 30th, 2019
- Ryuk ransomware attack on cloud hosting company affected 110 hospitals - TEISS - November 28th, 2019
- Embrace the Journey of Technological Transformation - CIOReview - November 28th, 2019
- Global Disaster Recovery-as-a-Service (DRaaS) Market 2018-2022 | Evolving Opportunities with IBM and iland | Technavio - Business Wire - November 28th, 2019
- Join In For The IBM i On The Public Cloud Webinar - IT Jungle - November 28th, 2019
- If tsoHost is lecturing us on sleep hygiene, Brit outfit really does have hosting back to front - The Register - November 28th, 2019