Yony Feng, Co-founder, CTO & CIO, Peloton Interactive
Yony Feng is Co-founder, and Chief Technology Officer at Peloton. After graduating from the College of Engineering at Georgia Tech with an M.S. in Electrical and Computer Engineering, Yony moved to the bay area to work for Silicon Valleys hottest companies such as Cisco, Skype, and Ticketfly. He was a key contributor and pioneer in event driven distributed systems, using asynchronous communication.
Today, Yony runs a processing platform that transcodes more than 600 hours of video a month as well as applications and services that power its real-time leaderboard serving more than 20,000 users competing simultaneously.
In the light of your experience, what are the trends and challenges youve witnessed in the AWS space?
Over the past decade, cloud hosting has evolved from providing a bare minimum service of hosting our process or posting our data in our own data center on a cloud platform to an increased focus on higher level of services, such as distributed data storage, distributed caching, and serverless processing. The focus is more on these value-added services, whether its for managing machines or implementing frameworks to run data pipeline on a cloud platform. Amazon Web Services (AWS), the worlds most comprehensive and broadly adopted cloud platform, now offers serverless offerings, such as AWS Lambda and AWS Glue, which enables data to be migrated and processed from one service to another more seamlessly.
With a large number of high-level abstract services being offered by AWS, one trend that is gaining momentum is complete end-to-end serverless tooling, such as AWS Lambda, application load balancing, and Dynamo DB. These services can be horizontally scaled and integrated with many other AWS high-level services. This abstracts away many of the complexities of managing virtual machines on the cloud platform. It simplifies standard hardware resource management, such as networking and hard-drive IOPS, and memory management as well. A word of caution, before migrating existing services into new AWS offerings, always be sure to understand the characteristics, limitations, and strengths of these high-level services.
The journey of technological transformation is not a sprint but a marathon, so I advise any aspirants in this industry to just pace themselves and absorb the technical journey before we actually embark on creating new technologies
Could you talk about your approach to identifying the right partnership providers from the lot?
To identify which partners to use or engage with, we need to have a clear understanding of what member-facing value-add the intended partnership is going to provide. Theres a due diligence phase of assessing a newly proposed partnership, versus an existing partnership, to provide us with the same incremental value-add for our members at home. Once this assessment phase is conducted, the gap in assessing the current coverage of our needs, any new initiatives, or evaluating different partners comes down to understanding how much more complexity we are adding to our architecture. This phase drives towards an ROI analysis of whether the benefits given to our members through the partnership are actually worth investing in. It also helps us keep the partnership solution simple and drive direct member benefits.
Could you elaborate on some interesting and impactful project/initiatives that youre currently overseeing?
We recently launched a new home screen for the Peloton Bike and Tread that revamped how we deliver the log in experience for our members at home. We leveraged the high-level services capabilities on AWS, driving towards personalized experiences for members. Enabled by data portability capability of AWS, this project allows our members to view personalized recommendations on a per-member basis.
How do you see the evolution of the AWS arena a few years from now concerning some of its potential disruptions and transformations?
Given the unique position of AWS in how involved it is in managing the compute, data, and process of transporting and accessing data, I think theres a massive opportunity for them to focus on a platform-wide security insight. Its a world of opportunity for AWS to change the landscape by focusing on the aspect of security and intelligence within the detection, monitoring, and reaction against any unintended data access and transport.
What are some of the key strategic points you adapt to steer the company ahead of the competition, and can you also draw an analogy between your hobbies and how they reflect on your leadership strategy?
Im an engineer at heart, so driving the passion for technology as a hobby at work and outside is vital to steering ahead of the competition. Im always exploring new systems, framework, language, or database and, hopefully, I inject the same passion and excitement for technology to my leadership team as well. I always warn my team to be open-minded to new technology and be objective in assessing how new technology can be a value-add to the company.
The core of how we drive our technology and business goals roadmap is to look at where the technology landscape is developing and evolving, find opportunities that are different from current architecture and then make the incremental drive towards becoming better. Besides, one of the critical aspects of aligning our technology in IT roadmap is being onboard with the whole notion of the members-first and deliver member value-added functionality enabled by technology. Although its not just about learning the current and future technology ecosystem but filtering the component of evolution that can be absorbed into the Peloton technology stack and have a meaningful impact on our members at home.
Do you have any suggestions or advice for budding entrepreneurs looking to embark on a similar professional journey along the lines of your service and area of expertise?
In the years Ive experienced in the technology industry, I have learned that theres more uncertainty, especially when we open our mind to the horizon of possibilities and product offerings. Both with new technology and strategy on the evolving technology landscape, one needs to look for trade-offs in new pieces of technology, be connected to what value it is offering to customers, and not just sprint or fad in it. The journey of technology transformation is not a sprint but a marathon, so I advise aspirants in this landscape to pace themselves and absorb the technical journey before embarking on creating new technologies.
- Ways In Which Cloud Hosting Affects SEO Services And Results - HostReview.com - January 13th, 2020
- Home Office reinforces commitment to AWS with 100m cloud hosting deal - ComputerWeekly.com - January 13th, 2020
- WSL 2: Where is it, and where is it going? - TechRepublic - January 13th, 2020
- The biggest govtech deals of the week (13/01/20) - NS Tech - January 13th, 2020
- Lost in Migration? Attributing carbon when outsourcing to cloud - Data Economy - January 13th, 2020
- UKCloud announces new discounts to help organisations thrive and build an increasingly independent national capability - RealWire - January 13th, 2020
- How Cloud Computing is Driving the Industrial Revolution 4.0 - Elets - January 13th, 2020
- Informatica expands its leadership team and appoints Amit Walia as CEO - Data Economy - January 8th, 2020
- Enhancing Hyperscale Cloud Growth at the infra // STRUCTURE Summit - Yahoo Finance - January 8th, 2020
- Green House Data Adds Digital Transformation Expert Victor Tingler to Executive Team to Lead Enterprise Consulting Services - Yahoo Finance - January 8th, 2020
- Five Things To Do in St. Cloud, Jan. 13-17 - SC Times - January 8th, 2020
- FASB cloud computing cost standard to soon take effect - Compliance Week - January 3rd, 2020
- Amazon, Google, Microsoft: Who had the best year in cloud in 2019? - The Register - January 3rd, 2020
- Recovery In The Cloud: An Online Alternative To Face-To-Face AA Meetings - Forbes - January 3rd, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market Future Investment Initiatives, Growing with Technology Development, New Innovations, Competitive Analysis and... - January 3rd, 2020
- Five Things To Do in St. Cloud, Jan. 6-10 - SC Times - January 3rd, 2020
- Are you ready to rock? City of St. Cloud hosting annual New Year's Eve event - Osceola News-Gazette - December 30th, 2019
- The biggest government tech stories of 2019 part one - PublicTechnology - December 30th, 2019
- The year of the French unicorns - TechCrunch - December 30th, 2019
- Startup Events This Week: Pulse42 and Mixer By Inc42, Drone Festival - Inc42 Media - December 30th, 2019
- Head to Head Survey: Snap (NYSE:SNAP) and Infinite Group (NYSE:IMCI) - Trent Times - December 30th, 2019
- Microsoft and Oracle extend their international cloud love-in - Data Economy - December 26th, 2019
- GDS publishes guidance on avoiding cloud lock-in - UKAuthority.com - December 26th, 2019
- Three Most Valuable Benefits that Encourage Companies to Adopt Serverless Architecture - Embedded Computing Design - December 26th, 2019
- Year-end Experience with the future prediction from Leaders - APN News - December 26th, 2019
- Key Factors behind Colocation and Managed Hosting Services Market Climbs on Positive Outlook of Booming Sales - Market Reports Observer - December 26th, 2019
- Will 2020 Be the Year of LoRa Networks? - Embedded Computing Design - December 26th, 2019
- Building Tech Solutions And Giving Back - Forbes - December 26th, 2019
- Allscripts Healthcare Solutions (NASDAQ:MDRX) Upgraded to Hold by ValuEngine - Slater Sentinel - December 26th, 2019
- Unisys objects to CFPB cloud award - Washington Technology - December 19th, 2019
- Cloud Hosting Service Market Size Will Grow Profitably In Upcoming Estimation, Challenges And Future Forecast 2025 - Bulletin Line - December 19th, 2019
- BP selects AWS over Azure for cloud-first strategy and climate ambitions - Diginomica - December 19th, 2019
- How to Eliminate IT Complexity and Succeed - Marketing Tech Outlook - December 19th, 2019
- Checkmarx Recognized as AWS Provider of Application Security Testing Solutions for Public Sector - HostReview.com - December 19th, 2019
- Bidco to acquire cloud firm after Boards agree on 79.4m deal - East Midlands Business Link - December 19th, 2019
- Bare Metal Cloud Market Scope and Opportunities Analysis 2017 2025 - News Cast Report - December 19th, 2019
- Kubernetes Security Leader Alcide Releases 2020 Predictions: Kubernetes on the Edge, Intelligent and Automated K8s Security and the Rise of... - December 19th, 2019
- Understanding the Benefits of Microsoft Azure Consulting for your Business - The Future of Things - December 19th, 2019
- Leaseweb USA Research Reveals that Nearly Two Thirds of Organizations Cite Hybrid or Private Cloud as the Future Infrastructure of Choice -... - December 19th, 2019
- Cloud Hosting Service Market Competitive Landscaping Mapping The Key Common Trends, Growth Analysis and Forecast 2024 - News Tribune - December 16th, 2019
- How SmartLogic helped these teams grow and manage scale with DevOps support - Technical.ly Brooklyn - December 16th, 2019
- Summit acquires fellow hosting company to boost its SMB reach - Data Economy - December 16th, 2019
- Atlassian welcomes third-party developers into the cloud with Forge - SDTimes.com - December 16th, 2019
- Working at the heart of digitalisation - Data Economy - December 16th, 2019
- Bare Metal Cloud Market 2019 In-Depth Analysis and Future Forecast 2019-2026 | Key Players include IBM Corporation , Oracle Corporation , Centurylink... - December 16th, 2019
- The Top 13 Cloud Computing Conferences to Attend in 2020 - Solutions Review - December 14th, 2019
- Oracle Plans To Ride ERP And Database To Greater Cloud Glory - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - December 14th, 2019
- Understanding Control, Security and Risk When Moving to Cloud - - Enterprise Times - December 14th, 2019
- 8 Cloud Outages That Shook The Tech World In 2019 - Analytics India Magazine - December 14th, 2019
- Microsoft Is Ignoring Amazons Dispute Over The U.S. JEDI Cloud Contract - Wccftech - December 14th, 2019
- Schneider Electric Wins 'AI/ Machine Learning Innovation' and 'Edge Project of the Year' at the 2019 SDC Awards - EnerCom Inc. - December 14th, 2019
- Firms believe hybrid or private cloud to be the future, research shows - DevOps Online - December 14th, 2019
- Global Bare Metal Cloud Market Foresight by 2019 2025| Key Companies IBM Corp., Oracle Corporation, Centurylink Incorporation, Rackspace Hosting... - December 14th, 2019
- What is Platform-as-a-Service? Everything you need to know about PaaS - TechRadar - December 9th, 2019
- Data security and the cloud: 3 things your team needs to know - TechBeacon - December 9th, 2019
- Australian animation studio, Animal Logic, partners with AWS to render films in the cloud - Which-50 - December 9th, 2019
- G7CR Technologies - The Journey of 2019 Microsoft Country Partner - Techstory - December 9th, 2019
- Service Express Addresses the Failure Curve at Gartner IT Infrastructure, Operations & Cloud Strategies Conference 2019 - PR Web - December 9th, 2019
- Global Cloud Hosting Service Market 2019 Industry Research, Segmentation, Key Players Analysis and Forecast to 2024 - News Midget - December 4th, 2019
- Logz.io Unveils First-Ever Open Source-Based Cloud Observability Platform Powered by ELK and Grafana - GlobeNewswire - December 4th, 2019
- 'Big 3' Public Cloud Providers: 4 Reasons Not to Use Them - ITPro Today - December 4th, 2019
- Global Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market 2019 by Manufacturers, Countries, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 - World Industry Reports - December 4th, 2019
- Join Us For The IBM i On The Public Cloud Webinar - IT Jungle - December 4th, 2019
- Amazon reveals new server chip to take on Intel - MyBroadband - December 4th, 2019
- SysGroup (LON:SYS) Hits New 1-Year Low at $33.50 - TechNewsObserver - December 4th, 2019
- How to match your IT workloads to the right cloud - TechBeacon - December 2nd, 2019
- Application modernisation in 2020 and beyond why businesses need to be ready now - CIO Australia - December 2nd, 2019
- Cloud Performance Varies Across the World, New Report Finds - ITPro Today - December 2nd, 2019
- Black Friday & Cyber Monday: These web hosting offers come only once a year - MyHostNews.com - November 30th, 2019
- HostNOC offering a big discount on its hosting and dedicated servers - Press Release - Digital Journal - November 30th, 2019
- Processing 30 billion images a month, heres how ImageKit delivers 98% of the optimised images in under 50 mil - YourStory - November 30th, 2019
- Cloud-based Database Market 2019 to Perceive Biggest Trend and Opportunity with Key Players Google, Amazon Web Services, IBM, Microsoft, Oracle,... - November 30th, 2019
- This Week in Jobs: We're one wild turkey - Technical.ly - November 30th, 2019
- Data Center Outsourcing and Hybrid Infrastructure Managed Services Market Revenue, Region Analysis, And Forecast 2024 - Space Market Research - November 30th, 2019
- Why Is Apple Trusted More Than Google? - Forbes - November 30th, 2019
- Ryuk ransomware attack on cloud hosting company affected 110 hospitals - TEISS - November 28th, 2019
- Global Disaster Recovery-as-a-Service (DRaaS) Market 2018-2022 | Evolving Opportunities with IBM and iland | Technavio - Business Wire - November 28th, 2019
- Join In For The IBM i On The Public Cloud Webinar - IT Jungle - November 28th, 2019
- If tsoHost is lecturing us on sleep hygiene, Brit outfit really does have hosting back to front - The Register - November 28th, 2019
- DHA SDD Shifting Health IT Outlook for 2020 - GovernmentCIO Media - November 28th, 2019