Microsoft has announced that all Windows 365 customers can now deploy cloud PCs running Windows 11, its new operating system.
Last month, the company opened up Windows 11 cloud PCs to Windows 365 Enterprise customers (with at least 300 deployments), but businesses of all sizes can now spin up Windows 11 desktops via the virtualization service.
At its annual Ignite conference, Microsoft explained that host devices will not be required to adhere to the strict Windows 11 system requirements, which will be fulfilled instead by a virtual TPM (vTPM) chip built into Windows 365 itself.
Windows 11 is now supported across all virtual desktop configurations with at least 2 vCPUs and 4GB of RAM, of which there are eleven in total. The cheapest - with 2 vCPUs, 4GB RAM and 64GB cloud storage - is available for $28.00/23.90 per month.
Microsoft first unveiled Windows 365 in the summer, promising customers a new way to experience Windows 10 or Windows 11.
The virtualization service allows users to stream a Windows 10 or 11 desktop to any of their devices and from any location, effectively turning the host device into a thin client. Instead of hosting the operating system and applications locally, using up both storage and compute, Windows 365 lets users stream their apps, data and settings to any of their devices - including those that run on macOS, Linux and Android.
According to Microsoft, the service opens up a host of new opportunities for businesses, from a cost, administration and productivity perspective. And while no consumer-focused use cases have been announced, we wouldnt be surprised if something is in the pipeline.
Although Windows 365 didnt support Windows 11 cloud PCs at launch, customers will now be able to take advantage of the upgrades on offer with the new Microsoft OS, as well as the flexibility afforded by the PC-as-a-service model.
In addition to provisioning brand new Windows 11 cloud PCs, administrators can also upgrade existing Windows 10-based deployments by changing the gallery image in Microsoft Endpoint Manager and triggering a reprovision.
To check whether existing cloud PC deployments are compatible with Windows 11, administrators can consult the Work from anywhere dashboard in Endpoint Analytics.
For companies confused by Microsoft's messaging around Windows 11 system requirements, or those whose hardware does not meet the grade, Windows 365 could prove a blessing.
Also check out our lists of the best business laptops, best mobile workstations and best business tablets.
- Rebranded Ransomware Group Sabbath Hitting Hospitals and Schools - JD Supra - December 3rd, 2021
- This 10TB cloud storage is cheaper than buying a Starbucks but it ends today - TechRadar - December 3rd, 2021
- Crypto Promoter Charged With Scamming Investors Out of Millions | Chief Investment Officer - Chief Investment Officer - December 3rd, 2021
- Coevolve announces important new hires and expansion in the European market - EnterpriseTalk - December 3rd, 2021
- Top trends in tech transformation - Lexology - December 3rd, 2021
- Verint Announces Strong Third Quarter Results, Raises Guidance and Three-Year Targets - marketscreener.com - December 3rd, 2021
- Network monitoring makes the cloud Connection | Daily News - IBC365 - December 2nd, 2021
- Let's Talk About IT Ep. 23 The Transformation of the DOD in the Cloud - FedScoop - December 2nd, 2021
- Key features of the newly launched Virto Commerce Cloud - AppleMagazine - December 2nd, 2021
- Cloudbazaar 2021 Brings Together Internet Leaders To Discuss The Future Of E-commerce - Yahoo Finance - December 2nd, 2021
- gotomyerp Co-founder And CEO, Robert Eppele, Has Been Named One of the 10 Best Inspiring Leaders of the Year 2021 by CIO Bulletin - PR Web - December 2nd, 2021
- Brighton and Hove News Brighton tech business wins national award - Brighton and Hove News - December 2nd, 2021
- Qatar among the biggest adopters of cloud in region - The Peninsula - December 2nd, 2021
- Lost SEO traffic in 2021? Here are 3 potential reasons why (and how to recover your rankings heading into 2022) - Search Engine Land - December 2nd, 2021
- $3.98 for 10TB online is what the best Cyber Monday cloud storage costs and it's exclusive to TechRadar - TechRadar - December 2nd, 2021
- Explore cloud-native vs. cloud-based vs. cloud-enabled apps - TechTarget - November 28th, 2021
- Clevelands vision for Blockland has stalled. Could Northeast Ohio still be a hub for blockchain? - cleveland.com - November 28th, 2021
- gotomyerp Has Been Listed As One Of The Top 50 Best Companies Of 2021 By The CEO Views - Longview News-Journal - November 28th, 2021
- Lumberjacks honor McPhail with jersey retirement - and 15th-straight win - St. Cloud Times - November 28th, 2021
- Accenture to Drive Organon's ERP Transformation with SAP on AWS - Inside SAP Magazine - November 28th, 2021
- FlashDrive Automates The Process Of Hosting Apps for Businesses in A Revolutionary Way - Yahoo Finance - November 24th, 2021
- The cloud complexity storm & changing organizational dynamics of IT Highlights from VotE: Cloud, Hosting & Managed Services - S&P Global - November 24th, 2021
- Adobe : How to send documents and information with enhanced security - marketscreener.com - November 24th, 2021
- Axtria to Lead Several Events on the Future of Digital Transformation, Product Design, and Product Leadership Opportunities for Women at NASSCOM... - November 24th, 2021
- HEALTHCARE TRIANGLE, INC. Management's discussion and analysis of financial condition and results of operations. (form 10-Q) - marketscreener.com - November 24th, 2021
- Great Tips For Web Optimization That Can Also Help In Mobile Application Development - WhaTech - WhaTech - November 24th, 2021
- Udacity to host international STEM Forward with Women conference featuring industry leaders from Microsoft, Saudi Telecom, HSBC, Sky, KPMG & more... - November 24th, 2021
- How to Preserve and Share Grandma's Recipes - WIRED - November 24th, 2021
- Google Cloud partially fixes load balancer SNAFU that hit Discord, Spotify, others today - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- TI will splash out up to $30B on wafer fabs - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- Intel audio drivers give Windows 11 the blues and Microsoft Installer borked following security update - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- Ubuntu desktop team teases 'proof of concept' systemd on Windows Subsystem for Linux - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- Netlify acquires OneGraph: One API to rule them all? - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- Boffins find way to use a standard smartphone to find hidden spy cams - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- Thousands of Firefox users accidentally commit login cookies on GitHub - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- America, when you're done hitting us with the ban hammer, see these on-prem Zoom vulns, says Positive - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- VMware pulls vSphere update that only made things worse - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- Everything but the catch: '90s pop act or a successful mission for Rocket Lab? - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- Ready, player anyone? China's gaming ban left cloud providers looking for someone to play with - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- Riverbed Technologies files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection following pandemic 'headwinds' - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- AWS adds Linux app streaming alongside Windows to 'greatly lower' cost - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- Korea gives Google and Apple another kick for requiring their own payment systems - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- Citrix initiates 'Restructuring Program' jobs and facilities to go - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- MediaTek's flagship 5G chip for top-of-the-line Android smartphones is coming right up - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- Is mass cloud adoption going to last forever, or is it just a phase? - ITProPortal - November 20th, 2021
- 'We are not people to Mark Zuckerberg, we are the product' rages Ohio's Attorney General in Facebook lawsuit - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- The Rust Foundation gets ready to Rumbul (we're sure new CEO has never, ever heard that joke before) - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- Sage Sessions X3 kicks off in Orlando with focus on empowering customers and partners to thrive - Yahoo Finance - November 15th, 2021
- Telenor taps Google Clouds AI and analytics expertise to target a bigger slice of the digital transformation market - TelecomTV - November 15th, 2021
- New Apprenticeship Hosting Webinar As Part of National Apprenticeship Week To Help Address Tech Talent Gap - Yahoo Finance - November 15th, 2021
- Cybersecurity and OWASP in an Increasingly Digital World - tripwire.com - November 15th, 2021
- Successful CEO Guru Releases New Spin on Business Leadership and Audios of His Entrepreneur How-To Guide and Savvy Disruptive Tech Prediction Books -... - November 15th, 2021
- Domopalooza Returns to Salt Lake City Focusing on Future of Business and Data - Business Wire - November 15th, 2021
- During this pre-Black Friday sale, get an additional 15% off domain names and lifetime web hosting deals - ZDNet - November 8th, 2021
- Valeo Networks Acquires On Time Tech, Further Accelerating National Growth Strategy - PRNewswire - November 8th, 2021
- Huobi is migrating its spot trading business from Seychelles to Gibraltar - The Block Crypto - November 8th, 2021
- Outlook on the Cloud Hosting Service Market to 2026 by Application, End-user and Geography - Northwest Diamond Notes - November 8th, 2021
- Overview of the Different Types of Web Hosting - E/The Environmental Magazine - November 8th, 2021
- Microsoft bags major win over Amazon in cloud battle - TechRadar - November 8th, 2021
- 6 web hosting and domain deals on sale - Mashable - November 8th, 2021
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market to Witness Rapid Growth by 2028 | Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft, Tata Communications The Host - The Host - November 8th, 2021
- QuestDB snares $12M Series A with hosted version coming soon - TechCrunch - November 8th, 2021
- Using Open-Source Intelligence for Mergers and Acquisitions - Security Intelligence - November 8th, 2021
- Huawei might have to sell its server division following US sanctions - TechRadar - November 8th, 2021
- Bitdeer Group Showcases Diversity With New Filecoin Mining Option Press release Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - November 8th, 2021
- Teledata and Sudlows win New Design/Build Data Centre Project of the Year at Prestigious DCS Awards - Business Manchester - November 8th, 2021
- Linda Visnick: Observing the Business World with an Innovative Eye - Analytics Insight - November 8th, 2021
- Southeast Asia Web Hosting Services Market 2021 Size Strong Revenue and Competitive Outlook : Amazon Web Services, AT & T, Google, GoDaddy,... - November 8th, 2021
- Cloud computing in the public sector: a distant dream or the near future? - ComputerWeekly.com - November 1st, 2021
- NSA, CISA Weigh in on Shared Responsibility for Cloud Security in the 5G Era - Nextgov - November 1st, 2021
- "wasmCloud allows us to rethink the cloud as just a stop on the way" - JAXenter - November 1st, 2021
- Why should organizations look towards the power of hybrid cloud? - ITProPortal - November 1st, 2021
- How To Choose The Best Website Hosting Platform 2021? Film Daily - Film Daily - November 1st, 2021
- Firstsource Selects NICE WFM Cloud to Unlock the Power of Digital Transformation - Business Wire - November 1st, 2021
- Bare Metal Cloud Service Market Overview and Forecast Report 2021-2026 | Amazon Web Services, Bigstep, Dell Technologies, IBM, CenturyLink, Oracle,... - November 1st, 2021
- The Rise of BGP Hijacking and Why You Need a Response Plan Immediately - Entrepreneur - November 1st, 2021
- Debunking SASE myths: How it has helped productivity - TechRadar - November 1st, 2021
- COVIDSafe total cost was AU$9.2 million to October 4 with AU$2.8 million on hosting - ZDNet - November 1st, 2021
- IT Infrastructure Services Market Is Booming Worldwide | HCL, IBM, Verizon Communications Inc., Accenture, HPE and more The Host - The Host - November 1st, 2021
- Russian cyber spies target CSPs and resellers to abuse delegated access - Reseller News - November 1st, 2021