A host of challenges will confront CPA firms heading into the new decade. Some challenges will be familiar and some are unknownsthe rapid pace of technological advancement in artificial intelligence (AI), machine learning, robotics and IT make it hard to predict what kind of change the next 10 years will bring.
What is abundantly clear, however, is that CPA firms that have resisted investing in stronger IT infrastructure, like the cloud, for example, are behind the proverbial eight ball. Even CPA firms that have been slower to adopt modern IT and security technology and best practices have put themselves at risk of falling too far behind to catch up.
Leveraging the cloud, AI and other modern, sophisticated IT approaches that enable stronger, more secure access, increased data security and scalabilityto name just a few advantages over increasingly outdated legacy IT ecosystemshas become the norm for an emerging new class of forward-thinking CPA firms that are set up to thrive and adjust to what is sure to be a rapid and possibly unpredictable decade of change.
So, the first thing CPA firms need to know is this: if you havent invested time, treasure and human capital into upgrading your IT ecosystem to the cloud, youre already in a precarious position heading into 2020. Its time to take a leap forward so you not only keep up with other CPA firms, but also adapt and scale right alongside technological advancements and your firms growth.
In addition to data security concerns, which will continue to be a major focus, there are a host of other items to be cognizant of as a CPA firm heading into the new decade.
Lets take a look at four key areas to keep an eye on as your CPA firm heads into 2020:
The cyber threat matrix is almost inconceivably vast and constantly changing, making it nearly impossible for even highly experienced, larger IT teams to counter every data threat. Add to this the increased regulations around data privacy in Europe (GDPR) and the impending push for stronger data privacy laws in the U.S., and CPA firms have a complex data security and data privacy environment to navigate.
The cloud, AI and automation are a CPA firms survival kit for the next decade. Effective human-only, manual monitoring of any given legacy IT network is extremely difficult today and will become impossible in the next decade.
Cloud-enabled AI Network Scanning, which is always-on, reduces vulnerabilities and increases incident response times. AI-driven, cloud-enabled email monitoring for phishing emails is consistently more effective than other methods.
Having automated, AI-led email monitoring is really the only effective approach to mitigating the biggest cybersecurity risk of all: an employee willing to open an email and click on a button that lets the bad guys in. Whats more, AI eliminates the lag inherent in most antivirus software programs, which are always attempting to catch up to the latest threats because of required signature updates.
The anytime, anywhere access capabilities, consistent, reliable data backups, data redundancy and greater document sharing and controls, make the cloud and AI ideal tools for maintaining current and future data privacy compliance. While data security and data privacy will remain huge issues for CPA firms, many see the cloud, AI, automation and Big Data radically altering the way firms will operate in the impending decade.
CPA firms that were early adopters of the cloud have enjoyed greater efficiency, stronger security and increased productivity, particularly when they partner with an experienced cloud services provider. Increased automation and decreased reliance on human beings executing manual processes (like software updates, security updates and more) has empowered CPA firms with an invaluable resource: time.
IT firms with well-run cloud ecosystems have moved beyond Break and Fix Mode and can now focus on larger, strategic initiatives and improving innovation. Data security amplified by AI has reduced vulnerabilities due to human error and traditional security software lag.
AI and automation, in particular, are being deployed to handle paperwork, rote, mundane jobs and many back-office tasks that were labor intensive and time consuming. In the next decade (some even say in the next five years), CPA firms that leverage the cloud, AI and automation will have more time to innovate and provide greater strategic advisory services to their clientele.
As the audit and compliance process changes radically over the next decade, CPA firms in a strong IT position will be able to provide more valuable services and increase profit margins by removing previously inefficient and time-eating manual processes. What is likely to occur is that more progressive, modernized CPA firms will be able to provide greater value to their clients while improving their bottom lines.
The adoption of AI, machine learning and even blockchain technology will fundamentally and permanently alter the way auditing is done. AI has the ability to organize and analyze unstructured Big Data in real time.
CPA firms traditionally perform audits using highly structured, already aggregated data. In the new decade, AI will start with unstructured financial data, organize it from various sources, and output data sets and financial analyses to a dashboard. AI will be able to do all of this at the transactional level and in real time.
Again, CPAs will be freed up to shift their focus from gathering historical data, which will be done automatically, to providing strategic advice based on analytics produced in real time. AI and Big Data collection, aggregation and analysis will fundamentally change the way CPA firms do business in the next five to 10 years.
As AI and Big Data play a more prominent role in the way CPA firms operate, data science and engineering talent will become increasingly valuable hires. Data scientists and data engineers will direct AI so that it can understand the nature and structure of the data sets it will be processing and analyzing.
Whats more, the CPAs at a given firm will need to work closely with data scientists and engineers to provide the business context for this data. Big Data and AI mean new and different workforce talent will be infused into accounting and the business experts, CPAs, will have to add to their skill set to act as a bridge between tech and business strategy.
In many ways, CPA firms face similar challenges to nearly every conceivable industry as the next decade approaches. Whether its data security, data privacy, new ways of operating or adapting new business models to meet a clienteles evolving needs, having the right IT tools, IT talent, and cloud hosting and service partner will be essential to CPA firms looking to thrive in 2020 and beyond.
The original article was posted in the Boomer Consulting blog section.
Have You Looked at Your Firm's IT Lately?
Using Add-Ons for Your Firm's Security Needs
- Cloud Hosting vs Dedicated Server Hosting Which one is better? - PC-Tablet - April 9th, 2020
- Southeast Asia Web Hosting Services Market Research Report: Market Analysis on the Future Growth Prospects and Market Trends Adopted by the... - April 9th, 2020
- Demand for e-learning continues to grow as Moodle announces their newest Certified Moodle Partner: South Africa-based company The Training Room Online... - April 9th, 2020
- Data Center Outsourcing and Hybrid Infrastructure Managed Services Market What Factors will drive the Data Center Outsourcing and Hybrid... - April 9th, 2020
- Latest Technology Trends in Business - 1redDrop - April 9th, 2020
- Global Video Hosting Software Market Analysis, Growth By Top Companies, Trends By Types and Application, Forecast To 2024 - Science In Me - April 9th, 2020
- AWS: the worlds most comprehensive cloud platform - Gigabit Magazine - Technology News, Magazine and Website - April 6th, 2020
- Summit Hosting Offers 90 Days of Free Cloud Hosting to Help Small and Medium Businesses Operate Remotely During COVID-19 - Benzinga - April 6th, 2020
- Why large non-profits opt for small hosting companies over the cloud - BestTechie - April 6th, 2020
- Special Report on Cloud ERP in the Aftermath of COVID-19 to Be Hosted by ERP Advisors Group - EconomyWatch.com - April 6th, 2020
- On the tech horizon: Here's a look at what's coming across NC in May - WRAL Tech Wire - April 6th, 2020
- Top 9 Reasons Your District Should be Moving to the Cloud - STN Media - School Transportation News - April 1st, 2020
- MSPs: Time to Reinvent - Channel Futures - April 1st, 2020
- Global Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market 2020 Industry Statistics on Key Trends, Growth and Opportunities to 2025 - Monroe Scoop - April 1st, 2020
- Health Catalyst Launches Four Additional COVID-19 Solutions and a Modular Bundle - The Herald Journal - April 1st, 2020
- Tech pitches in to fight COVID-19 pandemic - Computerworld - April 1st, 2020
- Transitioning Your Enterprise Workload? Read This First - Forbes - March 23rd, 2020
- Hybrid cloud - The business infrastructure of tomorrow - Techerati - March 23rd, 2020
- On the horizon: 57 meetups, conferences & networking events across NC in April - WRAL Tech Wire - March 23rd, 2020
- The Four Main Reasons Your Cloud Spending Is Out of Control - Cloud Wars - March 21st, 2020
- Everyone needs the cloud now more than ever. So understand AWS, Azure and more for under $25. - The Next Web - March 21st, 2020
- Zoom warns investors they may become a victim of their own success as costs spiral - MSPoweruser - MSPoweruser - March 21st, 2020
- Leostream to the Remote Access Rescue - Associated Press - March 21st, 2020
- AMD and Intel have a formidable new foe but youll never guess who it is - TechRadar - March 21st, 2020
- Business Process-as-a-Service (BPaaS) Market To Reach USD 120.70 Billion By 2026 Growing at a CAGR of 12.6% - Weather News Point - March 21st, 2020
- Realising the impact of unsecured container deployments: A guide - Cloud Tech - March 20th, 2020
- Leostream to the Remote Access Rescue - Yahoo Finance - March 20th, 2020
- Friday night music jam hosted by Tony Oldand goes live online tonight for musicians and music fans looking to be cheered up - Beach Metro News - March 20th, 2020
- This Week in Jobs: Puppies and Rainbows Edition - Technical.ly Brooklyn - March 20th, 2020
- Firms go remote at breakneck speed in response to coronavirus - Accounting Today - March 20th, 2020
- Web Hosting Services Market 2019-2023 | Increase in the Number of E-commerce Vendors to Boost Growth | Technavio - Yahoo Finance - March 20th, 2020
- COIN.HOST: Security, Privacy and Excellence Applied To Web Hosting In The Crypto Market - UseTheBitcoin - March 20th, 2020
- YouTube fails to clarify whether reduced streaming quality will impact live events - Cloud Pro - March 20th, 2020
- Are two clouds better than one? - ITWeb - March 20th, 2020
- Will coronavirus change the way we view tech? - BusinessCloud - March 20th, 2020
- QualiSpace Launched Tally on the Cloud - IT News Online - March 13th, 2020
- BeBop, Sony Ci to Hold Post-Production in the Cloud Webinar March 18 - Media & Entertainment Services Alliance M&E Daily Newsletter - March 13th, 2020
- Disruptive tech trends: Fintech leads Twitter mentions in February 2020 - Verdict - March 13th, 2020
- Minimize business impact of coronavirus - IT World Canada - March 13th, 2020
- Software for scheduling appointment in beauty salons Software as a service vs WordPress Plugins vs Local Applications - Mighty Gadget - March 13th, 2020
- Cloud Hosting Service Market 2020 By Top Key Players/Manufacturers, Type and Application, Regions, Industry Analysis, Growth, Size, Trends and... - March 12th, 2020
- Amazon: Linux-based Bottlerocket is our new OS for hosting containers in the cloud - ZDNet - March 12th, 2020
- PTC Unlocks Huge Time Savings for Developers & Technical Designers with New Samples Console in FlexPLM Version 11.2 - Which PLM - March 12th, 2020
- Cybersecurity in a time of coronavirus - Accounting Today - March 12th, 2020
- VMware : UKCloud Health awarded place on new 3bn framework from NHS London Procurement Partnership - marketscreener.com - March 12th, 2020
- UKCloud Health awarded place on new 3bn framework from NHS London Procurement Partnership - RealWire - March 12th, 2020
- Cloud ITSM Market Current Trends and Future Aspect Analysis 2018 2028 - 3rd Watch News - March 12th, 2020
- How to pick the right third-party CI/CD tool for the cloud - TechTarget - March 12th, 2020
- Recovery and restoration of content from blogs and windows web hosting UK websites - Lifesly.com - March 12th, 2020
- IBS Software Takes Lufthansa Cargo Handling to the Cloud - PRNewswire - March 10th, 2020
- New realms of measurement, connected data silos, and more in 2020 (Reader Forum) - RCR Wireless News - March 10th, 2020
- Introduction to the Firebase Database - Database Journal - March 10th, 2020
- Source Code Escrow Agreements Are Reaching For The Cloud - JD Supra - March 10th, 2020
- Google expanding cloud hosting presence in Canada with Toronto location - MobileSyrup - March 7th, 2020
- Mission-critical services migrating to the cloud in 2020 - TechRepublic - March 7th, 2020
- From Paper to Digital the Benefits of Cloud and SaaS Platforms for Lab Productivity - Technology Networks - March 7th, 2020
- Version Control Hosting Software Market Rising Trends and Technology Outlook 2019 to 2025 - News Times - March 7th, 2020
- Standing wave cloud at sunrise, over Zimbabwe - EarthSky - March 7th, 2020
- Standard Bank partners with Microsoft and SAP to accelerate its digital journey - BusinessTech - March 7th, 2020
- Meet the New Navisite: A Modern Managed Cloud Service Provider Accelerating IT Transformation for Thousands of Global Brands - AiThority - March 4th, 2020
- Navisite Transforms to Modern Managed Cloud Service Provider - Database Trends and Applications - March 4th, 2020
- SophosLabs Reports on Cloud Snooper, an Advanced Targeted Attack that Allows Malware to Communicate Across Firewalls - CXOToday.com - March 4th, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market- Global Business Growing Strategies, Technological Innovation And Emerging Trends Of Outlook To 2026 - Feed Road - March 4th, 2020
- Microsoft Goes All-In On RPA (Robotic Process Automation) - Forbes - March 4th, 2020
- Personal/Private Cloud Market by Revenue (Direct and Indirect), Hosting (User and Provider) and Deployment (Individuals, Small businesses and Medium... - March 4th, 2020
- ACS transforms disaster recovery with VMware and Routed - TechCentral - March 4th, 2020
- Amazon Lightsail offers cheap WordPress hosting in the cloud - Coywolf News - February 28th, 2020
- Northumberlands move to Oracle cloud apps hands control over from IT to end users - Diginomica - February 28th, 2020
- Ankr Partners With LTO Network; Announces Node Hosting and Campaign - CryptoNewsZ - February 28th, 2020
- FastComet is Now Powered by AMD EPYC to Dramatically Improve Reliability, Speed, and Security of Its High-Performance Servers - HostReview.com - February 28th, 2020
- Two Rare Cloud Features Appear Over New Hampshire's Mount Washington - Smithsonian.com - February 28th, 2020
- Source Code Escrow Agreements Are Reaching For The Cloud - Law360 - February 28th, 2020
- Millennials to Drive Bitcoin Higher: 4 Stocks to Watch - Nasdaq - February 28th, 2020
- Why CFOs are turning to hosting as they move to in-house accounts - Financial Director - February 28th, 2020
- Harnessing the benefits of HSCN requires more than just 'connectivity' - Open Access Government - February 28th, 2020
- Two new higher education institutions select OnBase hosted in the Hyland Cloud - PRNewswire - February 27th, 2020
- Cloud Hosting Service Market Types and Applications Outlook, Industry Drivers, Ongoing Trends, Future Demand, Challenges, Top Companies & Forecast... - February 27th, 2020
- Alibaba to give out free cloud to help businesses affected by Coronavirus - Data Economy - February 27th, 2020
- Arizona Health Information Exchange Launches NextGen Healthcare Health Data Hub to Improve the Physician Experience and Enhance Patient Care - Yahoo... - February 27th, 2020
- Financial organisations leading the way for hybrid cloud, Nutanix finds - DataCentreNews Europe - February 27th, 2020