The hyperscale providers continue to dominate the cloud infrastructure and hosting market. According to industry watcher Synergy Research in May, the combined market share of Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft and Google alone was 56%.
Yet one area has the potential to cause concern and it has pricked the ears of other players looking to capitalise.
In August, CloudTech reported on the ending of the Privacy Shield agreement by the European Court of Justice (ECJ). The EU-US initiative aimed to provide companies on both sides of the Atlantic with a mechanism to comply with data protection requirements in support of transatlantic commerce. Yet this was ruled as invalid by the ECJ after a challenge by privacy advocate Max Schrems, citing inadequate US security laws.
The use of Standard Contractual Clauses (SCCs), a mechanism used by companies to move EU user data to the US for processing, was not explicitly curtailed as part of the ruling. Legal experts saw this as a reprieve in name only, without additional protections from US government surveillance. The European Commission is to issue new SCCs and guidance by the end of this year.
This concern has been brought about partly through the the US CLOUD Act (Clarifying Lawful Overseas Use of Data), passed in 2018, which enables US government agencies to ask a US court to issue a warrant demanding that suppliers subject to US law hand over data they store for customers, even if that data is stored outside the United States, including the EU.
The result is that companies are questioning their relationships with the US-headquartered hyperscalers. For cloud providers such as IONOS, part of the web hosting brand 1&1, an opportunity has clearly arisen.
Were CLOUD Act-safe because were based out of Berlin, Sab Knight, UK & Ireland head of sales at IONOS (left), tells CloudTech. If the US authorities knocked on our door and said [they] wanted a clients data, the best case is they would need to go to the German authorities and subpoena them.
The selling point for smaller, niche providers traditionally comes in the form of lower latency and to a certain extent data sovereignty. IONOS cloud platform is aimed at small and medium businesses promising transparent prices, maximum data privacy in certified data centres, an unbeatable backbone connection, simple use and reliable live vertical scaling.
For Knight, informing clients and prospects of these enhanced opportunities forms a large part of his teams role. Youd like to think my sales team should just concentrate on selling cloud solutions, but today its actually about educating clients more about their data and data privacy, Privacy Shield, and GDPR, he says. I spend more time training teams about these arguments and conversations; the technical bits are now more led by solution engineers than salespeople.
Knight also looks to educate in a more general sense by speaking at industry events, including the Cyber Security & Cloud Expo, in March next year. At one event, Knight recalls how one attendee came over with his mouth open [he] just didnt realise the gravity of the situation he was in.
Yet for companies such as IONOS, they are not just competing against the panoply of features the hyperscalers possess, but the brand recognition. You may have the best thing since sliced bread, Knight notes, but if youre not AWS, then you hit a brick wall.
Its like the 1980s when IBM was selling these really expensive computers, and youd find these IBM-compatible machines for a fraction of the price, he says. Yet a manager back in the 80s would just buy IBM because you wouldnt get fired for buying IBM.
Ive come across that same conversation no offence, but youre not AWS. If [I] have an outage with IONOS, my boss is going to sack me, but if I have an outage with AWS, theyll just give me a slap on the wrist,' Knight adds.
IONOS has written extensively on its company blog around the perceived threats of the CLOUD Act, GDPR and Privacy Shield. In one post, from this time last year, the company noted the CLOUD Act clearly contradicts the aims of the GDPR. In a globalised world, the law is ever more complicated, and ever more important. But the advantages of digitisation are something that no company can do without, the company wrote.
There are European providers who operate their cloud solutions in accordance with European data protection regulations. Trusting a business partner, as well as having the possibility to effectively enforce legal disputes ensures digital control and security for your business even for medium-sized companies that do not have a large legal department or the resources to expand for one.
Knight is keen to stress that these claims should not just be taken at face value due diligence and research is required on the legal ramifications. The hyperscalers, particularly after the Privacy Shield ruling, said they could back up claims of their clouds security and privacy, be they AWS, Azure or Google.
Yet Knight again looks back in time to envisage how things will move forward. If you look back in the 1990s, it was mainly American companies that were doing all the hosting, he explains. Small UK hosting companies then started to appear, saying why host in the US where there are terrible latencies?
In the same way it created the whole industry for hosting companies in the UK back in the early 2000s for latency and speed, youre going to see the same happen again because of data.
Photo by Christian Lue on Unsplash
Interested in hearing industry leaders discuss subjects like this and sharing their experiences and use-cases? Attend theCyber Security & Cloud Expo World Serieswith upcoming events in Silicon Valley, London and Amsterdam to learn more.
- Global Cloud Hosting Service Market Analysis highlights the impact of Covid-19 (2020-2025) | Top Players like A2 Hosting, SiteGround, InMotion,... - January 14th, 2021
- Anti-government website hosted in Montreal shut down after promoting armed protests in U.S. - CBC.ca - January 14th, 2021
- What Is Gab and Who Owns It? Learn More About the Platform Replacing Parler - Distractify - January 14th, 2021
- Global Cloud Hosting Service Market Overview, Boost Growth, Future Expectations, Key Developments And Forecast Till 2027 | Company1, Company2,... - January 14th, 2021
- There is huge demand for this one high paying job in South Africa - BusinessTech - January 14th, 2021
- Inflectra Expands Its Cloud Hosting to India - PRNewswire - January 12th, 2021
- Department of Education to Seek Cloud Hosting and Website Support and Development - MeriTalk - January 12th, 2021
- ServerWhere Launched Failover Cloud Servers in the U.S. and Europe - PRUnderground - January 12th, 2021
- How 5G and AI Are Creating an Architectural Revolution - Nextgov - January 12th, 2021
- Dade2, Cloud and IAAS Provider Introduces Opening of its Spanish Cloud Region - PR Web - January 12th, 2021
- The Slope Gets More Slippery As You Expect Content Moderation To Happen At The Infrastructure Layer - Techdirt - January 12th, 2021
- Pro-Trump Demonstration At Twitter Headquarters Appears To Be A Bust, Twitter Claims To Respect Peoples Right To Express Their Views: - CBS Denver - January 12th, 2021
- What is Gab? A far-right social alternative to Twitter - Business Insider - Business Insider - January 12th, 2021
- NICE Wins Technical Development Award at 2020 Symphony Hackathon for Integration with its Cloud-Based Messaging and Collaboration Platform - Business... - January 12th, 2021
- Expert Review: Application Hosting Market is Booming Worldwide to Reach Highest Growth | AWS, IBM, Rackspace, Google, Liquid Web, Microsoft -... - January 12th, 2021
- Bongino vows to fight Parler shutdown: 'I'll go bankrupt before I let this happen' - Fox News - January 12th, 2021
- Ben Domenech slams Big Tech over censorship of Trump, Parler: 'We really ought to be scared' - Fox News - January 12th, 2021
- Health Care Cloud and Hosting Market growth in New Research and Know about its Top growing factors by Key Companies like Med Tech Solutions Inc,... - January 12th, 2021
- Mediaite: Parler CEO says it took down post from Lin Wood calling for Mike Pence's execution - WDJT - January 12th, 2021
- Cloud and Dedicated Servers in Milan, Italy Launched by HCE - PRUnderground - January 4th, 2021
- Every Little Thing You Need to Know About Cloud Computing - Analytics Insight - January 4th, 2021
- Impact Analysis of Covid-19 On Cloud Web Hosting Services Market Expected to Showcase Extensive Growth at a Highest CAGR with- A2 Hosting, AccuWeb,... - January 4th, 2021
- How to run Hummingbot in the cloud? - Your Digital Wall - January 4th, 2021
- Cloudflare Introduces a Way to Build and Host Jamstack Sites with Cloudflare Pages - InfoQ.com - January 4th, 2021
- Global Cloud-Based VDI Market To Reach A New Threshold of Growth By 2026 - Factory Gate - January 4th, 2021
- Southeast Asia Web Hosting Services Market Prediction after Covid Pandemic and Analysis Offered By New Study 2020 2026 - LionLowdown - January 4th, 2021
- Valeo Networks Acquires Etech Solutions, Further Expanding National MSSP Footprint in the Midwest Region - PRNewswire - January 4th, 2021
- Indonesia Data Center Colocation Services Market Report 2020: Increase in Adoption of Data-intensive Technologies to Boost the Growth Pipeline for... - January 4th, 2021
- (Update Report On) Health Care Cloud and Hosting Market Forecast 2021-2026, Latest Trends and Opportunities| Med Tech Solutions Inc, Rackspace, Health... - January 4th, 2021
- The four (non-coronavirus) public sector tech trends that will define 2021 - PublicTechnology - January 4th, 2021
- Cloudflare is launching its very own cloud hosting service - TechRadar - December 23rd, 2020
- Marine Corps Issue RFI for Cloud Hosting and Migration of its Recruiting Info Support System - MeriTalk - December 23rd, 2020
- Banking of tomorrow with human and artificial intelligence - Web Hosting | Cloud Computing | Datacenter | Domain News - Daily Host News - December 23rd, 2020
- Cloud Hosting Service Market Development, Innovation, Opportunities and Growth to 2026 - LionLowdown - December 23rd, 2020
- Behind the scenes of a scaling business: Private vs public which cloud is right for you? - Startland News - December 23rd, 2020
- Cybereason Adopts Oracle Cloud Infrastructure to Enhance its Platform Security - Infosecurity Magazine - December 23rd, 2020
- What are the Software Development Trends of 2021? - Web Hosting | Cloud Computing | Datacenter | Domain News - Daily Host News - December 23rd, 2020
- The Top 21 Security Predictions for 2021 - Government Technology - December 23rd, 2020
- 2021 - The year of data extortion - DCD - DatacenterDynamics - December 23rd, 2020
- Digital Transformation Trends That Will Dominate Software Businesses in 2021 - Devdiscourse - December 23rd, 2020
- Scientists Braved the High Arctic to Chase Clouds on History's Largest Polar Trip - National Audubon Society - December 23rd, 2020
- Application Hosting Market Overview with Qualitative analysis, Competitive landscape & Forecast by 2027 - The Market Feed - November 30th, 2020
- 10 questions every agency should ask their managed hosting provider - The Drum - November 30th, 2020
- Application Hosting Market by Key Players, Product and Production Information analysis and forecast to 2026 - Murphy's Hockey Law - November 30th, 2020
- EdgeConnex Collaborates with Zenlayer to Improve Cloud Adoption - Database Trends and Applications - November 30th, 2020
- Radware Ranked by Gartner in Critical Capabilities for Cloud Web Application and API Protection Report - GlobeNewswire - November 30th, 2020
- Cloud ITSM Market Latest Report with Forecast to 2028 - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - November 30th, 2020
- January is going to be a very eventful month here's an exclusive look at what's on the calendar - WRAL Tech Wire - November 30th, 2020
- Cloud Computing | RackCloudSpace | The Magazineplus - The Magazine Plus - November 28th, 2020
- Sagenext Relies on phoenixNAP to Deliver Superior Tax and Accounting Software Hosting Services - PR Web - November 28th, 2020
- Dundee City Council has moved IT workloads to the Cloud - DatacenterDynamics - November 28th, 2020
- VMware Reports Fiscal Year 2021 Third Quarter Results - Web Hosting | Cloud Computing | Datacenter | Domain News - Daily Host News - November 28th, 2020
- Automation to shape cybersecurity activities in 2021 - Help Net Security - November 28th, 2020
- Professional Services Automation Market Share, Size, Analysis, Growth, Industry Statistics and Forecast 2025 - Khabar South Asia - November 28th, 2020
- End-user spending on India public cloud to rise nearly 30% next year - iTWire - November 28th, 2020
- This Week in Jobs DE: Gigs and giblets for the hungry job hunter - Technical.ly Delaware - November 28th, 2020
- Financial services companies are starting to use the cloud for big data and AI processing - TechRepublic - November 19th, 2020
- Latest Update 2020: Cloud Hosting Service Market by COVID19 Impact Analysis And Top Manufacturers: A2 Hosting, SiteGround, InMotion, HostGator,... - November 19th, 2020
- ICE plans $100 million in cloud spend on AWS and Azure - DatacenterDynamics - November 19th, 2020
- The Hyper Digitization Era Blessing in disguise for the technology industry - Web Hosting | Cloud Computing | Datacenter | Domain News - Daily Host... - November 19th, 2020
- 'China-Backed Hacking Group' Allegedly Works on Global Campaign Targeting Automotives, Pharmaceutica - Tech Times - November 19th, 2020
- Application Hosting Market Report Examines Analysis by Latest Trends, Growth Factors, Key Players and Forecast to 2028 - TechnoWeekly - November 19th, 2020
- Latest Study explores the Microserver Market Witness Highest Growth in near future - AlgosOnline - November 19th, 2020
- DLT Solutions Bolsters Hybrid Cloud, AI, Security and Other Software Offerings for the U.S. Public Sector with IBM Solutions - Inside NoVA - November 19th, 2020
- 8 Valuable Tips for Securing your Data on the Cloud in 2020 - DC Velocity - November 10th, 2020
- Public Cloud: The Indispensable Component for Businesses - HostReview.com - November 10th, 2020
- Datto Announces Third Quarter 2020 Financial Results Conference Call - Web Hosting | Cloud Computing | Datacenter | Domain News - Daily Host News - November 10th, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market Size, Drivers, Potential Growth Opportunities, Competitive Landscape, Trends And Forecast To 2027 - Eurowire - November 10th, 2020
- Google Cloud and OVHcloud team up for European 'trusted cloud solution' partnership - Cloud Tech - November 10th, 2020
- Microsoft: New VS Code update is out plus here's what GitHub Codespaces will cost - ZDNet - November 10th, 2020
- Cloud service provider DC Two to float on the ASX as DC2 - iTMunch - November 10th, 2020
- Global It Infrastructure Services Market Analysis and Forecast to 2026 by Recent Trends, Development and Regional Growth Overview - Zenit News - November 10th, 2020
- Global Sales Force Automation Software Market Size, Analytical Overview, Growth Factors, Demand, Trends and Forecast to 2025 - AlgosOnline - November 10th, 2020
- SAP HANA Hosting Super-Powered by WorldPosta's Cloud "Pool of Resources" - PR Web - November 8th, 2020
- Global Cloud Hosting Service Market 2020 | Know the Companies List Could Potentially Benefit or Loose out From the Impact of COVID-19 | Top Companies:... - November 8th, 2020
- Create your own VPN for pennies with the cheapest virtual compute instance around - TechRadar - November 8th, 2020
- Web Hosting Services Market 2020 and Forecast 2021-2027 Includes Business Impact Analysis of COVID-19 - Eurowire - November 8th, 2020
- Cloud Infrastructure Services Market Research, Size, Share Analysis by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application to 2026 - PRnews Leader - November 8th, 2020
- Cloud Computing Market Analysis, COVID-19 Impact,Outlook, Opportunities, Size, Share Forecast and Supply Demand 2021-2027|Trusted Business Insights -... - November 8th, 2020
- What is web hosting? - Creative Bloq - November 8th, 2020