Companies all over the world sell VPN services to secure your online activity, but can you really trust a VPN provider? If you want, you can create your own virtual private network with the open-source Algo software, and the cloud-hosting provider of your choice.
If trusting faceless online services isnt your thing, one alternative is to run your own VPN server. This used to be a daunting task, but thanks to the open-source project Algo from security company Trail of Bits, creating your own VPN is now easy.
For $5 per month, you can run and control your own full-time VPN server. Even better, you can use Algo to set up and tear down VPN servers as you need them, and save money in the process.
To set-up Algo, you have to use the command line. If thats off-putting, dont worrywell walk you through every step.
These instructions might seem like a lot, but thats only because were explaining as much as we can. Once youve created a VPN with Algo a few times, it shouldnt take very long at all. Plus, you only have to set up Algos installation environment once. After that, you can create a new VPN server with a few keystrokes.
But can you trust that Algos scripts arent doing anything untoward? Well, the good news is Algos code is public on GitHub for anyone to look at. Plus, many security experts are interested in the Algo project, which makes misdeeds less likely.
RELATED: What Is a VPN, and Why Would I Need One?
A VPN is a good way to protect your online activityespecially on a public Wi-Fi network in an airport or coffee shop. A VPN makes web browsing more secure and stymies any malicious actors who might be on the same local Wi-Fi network. A VPN can also help if your ISP restricts certain kinds of traffic, like torrents.
But watch out, pirates! Downloading booty through your own VPN isnt a good idea, as the activity can more easily be traced back to you.
Also, if you wanna watch Netflix over your VPN, youll have to look elsewhereAlgo doesnt work with it. However, there are many commercial services that do support Netflix.
To get an Algo VPN server up and running, you need a Unix Bash shell. On a Mac or Linux system, you can use your Terminal program, but on Windows, youll have to activate the Subsystem for Linux. Hereshow to install and use the Linux Bash shell on Windows 10.
Youll also need an account at a cloud server hosting provider. Algo supports all of the following:
If youve never used any of these services, we recommend DigitalOcean, as its very user-friendly. Its also the service were using in this tutorial. The process will be a bit different if you use a different provider.
When your DigitalOcean account is ready to go, sign in, and then, from the primary dashboard, select API from the left rail under the Account heading.
On the next page, click Generate New Token. An access token is a long string of letters and numbers that permits access to account resources without a username and password. Youll need to name the new token. Generally, its a good idea to name it after the application youre using, such as algo or ian-algo (if your first name happens to be Ian).
After the new token is generated, copy and paste it into a text document on your desktop. Youll need it in a few minutes.
Back on your desktop, open a fresh terminal window, type cd(for change directory, which is what folders are called in the Unix world), and hit Enter. This will ensure youre working from the terminals home directory.
At this writing, Algo requires Python 3.6 or later. Type the following into your terminal program:
If you get a response likePython 3.6.9, youre good to go; if not, youll have to install Python 3.
To install Python 3 on Mac, you can use the Homebrew package manager. When Homebrews ready to go, type the following command in a Terminal window:
If youre using Ubuntu Linux or WSL on Windows, they should have Python 3 by default. If not, installation methods vary depending on your version of Linux. Search online for install Python 3 on [insert your version of Linux here] for instructions.
Next, you need to install Python3s Virtualenv to create an isolated Python environment for Algo. Type the following in Bash on a Mac:
On Ubuntu Linux and WSL, the command is the following:
Note that were tailoring this tutorial for Ubuntu and related distributions, but these instructions will also work for other versions of Linux with some minor alterations. If youre using CentOS, for example, youd substitute the instructions using apt with dnf.
Next, we need to download Algo with the wget command. Macs dont have wget installed by default, so to get it via Homebrew, type the following:
Now, lets download Algos files:
After wget finishes, there will be a compressed file called master.zip in your terminals home directory; lets check that with ls.
If you see master.zip in the list of files and folders that appears, youre good to go. If not, try running wget again.
Now, we need to unzip the file, so we type the following:
After thats done, hit ls again. You should now see a new folder in your home directory called algo-master.
Were almost ready for action, but first, we need to set up our isolated environment and install a few more dependencies. This time well work inside the algo-master folder.
Type the following to switch to the folder:
Make sure youre there with this command:
This stands for print working directory, and it should show you something like /home/Bob/algo-master or /Users/Bob/algo-master. Now that were in the right place, lets get everything ready.
Either copy and paste or type the command below on a single line (dont press Enter until the end):
This triggers a whole lot of action inside the Algo directory to prepare to run.
Next, you have to name your users for the VPN. If you dont name all of them now, youll either have to hold onto the security keys (which is less secure) or start a new server from scratch later on.
Either way, type the following in terminal:
This opens the user-friendly command-line text editor,Nano. The Algo config file has a lot of information in it, but were only interested in the part that says users. All you have to do is remove the default usernames (phone, laptop, desktop), and type a name for each device you want on your VPN.
For example, if Im creating a VPN for myself, Bill, and Mary, the config file might look like the following:
Once youve named everyone, press Ctrl+O to save the file, followed by Ctrl+X to exit.
Were almost ready for action, but first Windows folks need to take a little detour. WSL usually doesnt set the correct user permissions for the Algo folder, which upsets Ansible (the tool Algo relies on to deploy a server).
On WSL, type the following to go back to your home directory:
Then, type the following:
To go back to the Algo folder, type:
And now is the moment of truth.
From the algo-master folder, type the followingin the terminal window:
The Algo configuration should start running. Youll know its working when it asks which cloud provider youd like to use. In our case, we select the number (1) for DigitalOcean.
If Algo fails, it could be a number of reasons we cant possibly predict here. If the error says your directory is world write configurable, then follow the instructions above for changing permissions.
If you get a different error, check the troubleshooting page in the Algo project repository on GitHub. You can also copy the error message and paste it in Google to search for it. You should find a forum post that will help, as its unlikely youre the first person to receive that error.
Next, youll be asked for the access token you copied earlier from your DigitalOcean account. Copy and paste it into terminal. You wont see anything because Bash doesnt display characters for password- and security-phrase entries. As long as you hit paste, and then press Enter, though, it should be fine.
If it fails, you might have just messed up the paste, which everyone does in Bash. Just type the following to try again:
When Algo is running, answer the questions it asks. These are all pretty straightforward, like what you want to name your server (using algo in the name is a good idea).
Next, it will ask if you want to enable Connect on Demand for Mac and iOS devices. If youre not using any of those devices, type N for no. It will also ask if you want to keep the PKI keys to add more users later; generally, youll type N here, as well.
Thats it! Algo will now take about 15 to 30 minutes to get your server up and running.
When Algo finishes its setup, the terminal returns to a command-line prompt, which means the VPN is ready to go. Like a lot of commercial services, Algo uses the WireGuard VPN protocol, which is the hottest new thing in the world of VPNs. This is because it offers good security, greater speeds, and is easier to work with.
As an example of what to do next, well activate Algo on Windows. To set up other devices, you can refer to the Algo repository on GitHub.
First, well install the generic Windows desktop client from the WireGuard site. Next, we have to feed the program our config file for the PC. The configuration files are stored deep in the algo-master folder at: ~/algo-master/configs/[VPN server IP address]/wireguard/.
There are two types of files for configuring VPN client devices: .CONF and .PNG. The latter are QR codes for devices like phones, that can scan QR codes. The .CONF (configuration) files are text files for the desktop WireGuard clients.
On Mac and Ubuntu, it shouldnt be hard to find the algo-master folder outside of the command line. On Macs,algo-master is in the Home folder; just useFinder > Go > Home to get there. On Ubuntu, you can open Nautilus, and itll be in the Home folder.
On Windows, however, WSL is separate from the rest of the OS. For this reason, its just easier to copy the files over with the command line.
Using our previous example, lets say we want the Mary-PC.conf configuration file to use on a Windows 10 PC. The command would look something like this:
Note the space between Mary-PC.conf and /mnt/; thats how Bash knows where the file to be copied is located, and where its going. Case also matters, so make sure you type capitals where specified.
Its natural on Windows to want to capitalize the C in C: drive, but in Bash you dont. Also, dont forget toreplace the bits in brackets with the actual information for your PC.
For example, if your user folder is on the D: drive, not the C:, then replace /mnt/c/ with /mnt/d/.
Once the file is copied, open the WireGuard for Windows client. Click Import Tunnels From File, and then select your configuration file on the desktop. After thats done, click Activate.
In just a few seconds, youll be connected to your very own VPN!
See the original post here:
How to Host Your Own VPN with Algo and Cloud Hosting - How-To Geek
- Jelastic PaaS Expanded for Educational Institutions with Reclaim Cloud Hosting in the USA, Canada and the United Kingdom - HostReview.com - August 10th, 2020
- Big Boom In Health Care Cloud and Hosting Market With A Growing CACR During 2020-2027| Med Tech Solutions Inc, Rackspace, Health Catalyst, OVH Cloud,... - August 10th, 2020
- Verizon Business Plans to Simplify and Accelerate E2E IoT Solution with Microsoft Azure - The Fast Mode - August 10th, 2020
- What you should know when creating your own website - MyBroadband - August 10th, 2020
- Palomino Inc. Completes Acquisition of GCIS Inc. to Grow Cloud Hosting and Business Application Support in Times of COVID-19 - Yahoo Finance - August 8th, 2020
- Cloud Infrastructure Services Market Research Report by Service Type, by Organization Size, by Deployment, by Vertical - Global Forecast to 2025 -... - August 8th, 2020
- Cloud Hosted vs. On-Premise vs. Self Hosted vs. Private Cloud PMS: All Platforms Have Advantages; Which is Right for You? | By Warren Dehan -... - August 8th, 2020
- Capital One to pay $80M penalty over 2019 data breach - Banking Dive - August 8th, 2020
- 16 reasons why you should move your backup to a NZ-hosted solution - IT Brief New Zealand - August 8th, 2020
- All PMS Platforms Have Advantages, But Which One is Right for Your Hotel? | - Hotel Technology News - August 8th, 2020
- Bare metal vs dedicated servers: which is the better web hosting option? - ITProPortal - August 8th, 2020
- Help For Caregivers Coming to St Cloud VA - KNSI Radio - August 8th, 2020
- [Webinar] eDiscovery In The Age of Cloud Applications: How To Collect From Slack - August 20th, 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm ET - JD Supra - August 8th, 2020
- Army transitions from Industrial Age to Information Age Fort Carson Mountaineer - fortcarsonmountaineer.com - July 25th, 2020
- Adobe Partners With Red Hat, Google Updates AI Offering and More CX News - CMSWire - July 25th, 2020
- Cloud Migration - COVID Effect - Story of Future - July 25th, 2020
- Pandemic shockwave shatters cultural barriers to cloud adoption - Daily Trust - July 25th, 2020
- How much it costs to build and host a website in South Africa - MyBroadband - July 25th, 2020
- Network Host Service Market to Grow Significantly With Increasing Advancements in Technology, Says QYR| AT&T, Google Cloud, GoDaddy - Owned - July 25th, 2020
- A CoE in IoT in Agriculture at Guwahati, Animation at Shillong and Emerging Tech-AR/VR Launched - Express Computer - July 25th, 2020
- Top 5 Things to Know in the Market on Thursday, July 23rd By .com - Up News Info - July 25th, 2020
- Cloud Hosting Service Market Size By Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies And Forecast Up To 2026 - 3rd... - July 14th, 2020
- Health Care Cloud and Hosting Market Comprehensive Survey on Demand by 2025 - Cole of Duty - July 14th, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 on Application Hosting 2020-2027 with Focusing Key players like IBM, AWS, Google, Rackspace, etc - Cole of Duty - July 14th, 2020
- Google reportedly abandoned a cloud computing product for the Chinese market - The Verge - July 14th, 2020
- Southeast Asia Web Hosting Services Market Share, 5evelopment Status and Outlook by Players To 2020-2025 | Amazon Web Services, AT & T, Google,... - July 14th, 2020
- Migrating Your Clients to an Alternative Cloud Provider is Easier than You Might Think - Channel Futures - July 14th, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market Size By Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies And Forecast Up To 2026... - July 14th, 2020
- Bullish Google looks to invest $10 billion over 7 years to digitize India - Livemint - July 14th, 2020
- Cloud Hosting Service Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 8th, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 8th, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market: 2020 Global Industry Size, Share, Uses, Benefits, Trends, Growth Application, Key Manufacturers and 2026 Demand... - July 8th, 2020
- Y Soft announces YSoft SAFEQ Cloud, a New Family of Cloud-Based Print Services - What They Think - July 8th, 2020
- Industry VoicesRaynovich: The cloud is swallowing everything - FierceTelecom - July 8th, 2020
- Mohamed Arab Joins VPLS as VP of Cloud and Managed Services - PR Web - July 8th, 2020
- Dremio Dives Deep Below the Surface for the Industry's First Cloud Data Lake Conference - Business Wire - July 8th, 2020
- Astonishing growth in Cloud Communications Platform Market anticipates to grow at $ 4.4 billion by 2021, from 2016 to 2021, with CAGR of 26.8% with... - July 8th, 2020
- MediaOps' New 'Digital Anarchist' Streaming Video Platform Delivers Expert Content on What's Next In DevOps, Cybersecurity, Cloud Native and Digital... - July 8th, 2020
- Green House Data and Zerto Fast-Track Digital Transformation with Hybrid Cloud Resilience and Portability - MyHostNews.com - July 8th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact On Cloud Hosting Service Providers Market Projection By Latest Technology, Global Analysis, Industry Growth, Current Trends And... - July 4th, 2020
- Sell-Side Technology Awards 2020: Best Cloud Provider to the Sell SideBT - www.waterstechnology.com - July 4th, 2020
- Global Cloud Hosting Service Market 2020 Analysis, Types, Applications, Forecast and COVID-19 Impact Analysis 2026 - Daily Research Chronicles - July 4th, 2020
- Green House Data and Zerto Fast-Track Digital Transformation with Hybrid Cloud Resilience - AiThority - July 4th, 2020
- Leaseweb's Five-Year Growth Exceeds Double the Market Average, Further Cementing Position as Top Player in International Cloud Hosting Market -... - July 4th, 2020
- THNQ fund from ROBO Global looks ahead to AI infrastructure growth - Robot Report - July 4th, 2020
- Bare Metal Cloud Market research, Industry Outlook, Current Trends and Forecast by 2025 - CueReport - July 4th, 2020
- Application Hosting Market | Global Industry Analysis, Segments, Top Key Players, Drivers and Trends to 2027 - Cole of Duty - July 4th, 2020
- Professional Services Automation Market Key Vendors, Analysis by Growth and Revolutionary Opportunities by 2025 - Apsters News - July 4th, 2020
- VyOS and FastNetMon Announce Integration | 2020-07-01 | Press Releases - Stockhouse - July 4th, 2020
- India bans 59 Chinese apps including TikTok and WeChat - Data Economy - July 4th, 2020
- Global Bare Metal Cloud Market with Covid-19 Effect Analysis | likewise Industry is Booming Globaly with Key Players IBM Corporation, Oracle... - July 4th, 2020
- Leaseweb's Five-Year growth Exceeds Double the Market Average, Further Cementing Position as Top Player in International Cloud Hosting Market - PR Web - June 30th, 2020
- Cloud hosting group confident on future prospects - The Business Desk - June 30th, 2020
- Connor and Scalio Announce Venture to Bring GRC and License Optimization to the Cloud - GlobeNewswire - June 30th, 2020
- What Is Cloud Computing? - World Atlas - June 30th, 2020
- Thought Machine's Vault Now Proven and Available on All Infrastructure Options: SaaS, Private or Public Cloud, Hybrid Cloud and on Premises - Business... - June 30th, 2020
- Global Application Hosting Market : Industry Analysis and forecast 2020 2027 - Morning Tick - June 30th, 2020
- Data Centers Above the Clouds: Colocation Goes to Space - Data Center Frontier - June 30th, 2020
- 'This Pandemic Has Highlighted The Importance Of Cloud System': Anand Chandra, Synechron - Express Computer - June 30th, 2020
- Southeast Asia Web Hosting Services Market 2020 Digital Learning, Growth Analysis, Industry Trends, Advanced Technologies, Services, Business Overview... - June 30th, 2020
- 4 common software maintenance models and when to use them - TechTarget - June 30th, 2020
- Applying AI and Cloud Technologies for Multivariate Control in Upstream Processes, Upcoming Webinar Hosted by Xtalks - PR Web - June 30th, 2020
- Web Hosting Services Market 2019 Size Overview By Industrial Application, E-Commerce Boom, Cloud Hosting, Latest Trends, New-Advancements in Internet... - June 27th, 2020
- This week in storage: Teradata in the cloud, WD Zoned SSDs and more - Blocks and Files - June 27th, 2020
- Top 10 Cloud Technology Market Exclusive insight on Transformation 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 27th, 2020
- Why you should shun unmanaged hosting and adopt managed - MOARGeek - June 27th, 2020
- E.ON selects Wipro for grid and digital transformation - Smart Energy - June 27th, 2020
- Application Hosting Market Key Players, Industry Overview, Application and Analysis to 2020-2026 - 3rd Watch News - June 27th, 2020
- Top 5 IT Certifications That Will Get You Paid in 2020 - ClearanceJobs - ClearanceJobs - June 27th, 2020
- Global personal cloud market is expected to grow with a healthy CAGR over the forecast period from 2020-2026 - Salamanca Press - June 27th, 2020
- An Introduction to Dave Antrobus, technology director of Fresh Thinking Group - Business MattersBusiness Matters - June 27th, 2020
- Uploadcare Media Pipeline for Online Business Wins at Nanjing Tech Week Competition - AsiaOne - June 27th, 2020
- JIESHUN Smart Parking and Cloud Hosting at Shenzhen Bao'an International Airport - Parking Network - June 22nd, 2020
- Cloud Computing Transforming And Revolutionising Cybersecurity In India - Inc42 Media - June 22nd, 2020
- Cloud Hosting Service Market Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Share, Growth, Statistics, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 22nd, 2020
- Global Application Hosting Market 2020 by Type, Share, Applications, Key Players, Growth, Trends and Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 22nd, 2020
- Grading and audio post in the cloud | Industry Trends | IBC - IBC365 - June 22nd, 2020
- Serverless Architecture Market 2020 Global Trend, Segmentation and Opportunities Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 22nd, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact and Recovery Analysis- Global Email Hosting Services Market 2020-2024 | Growing Adoption of the Bring-Your-Own-Device (BYOD) Policy to... - June 22nd, 2020
- Global Cloud Hosting Service Market Expected to Grow with a Significant Rate by 2024 Top Players : DreamHost, GoDaddy, HostGator, InMotion, Bluehost,... - June 22nd, 2020