ICE is seeking a "Solution Provider to provide access to FedRAMP authorized AWS and Microsoft Azure Cloud Service Provider (CSP) marketplace products and cloud based CSP resource offerings including Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), Platform as a Service (PaaS) and Software as a Service (SaaS) within the ICE Cloud,"according to a procurement notice first spotted by Bloomberg.
In July 2018, more than 100 Microsoft employees signed an open letter to CEO Satya Nadella calling for Microsoft to cancel its contracts with ICE, and with other clients who directly enable ICE. Microsoft already provides cloud services for ICE to support "legacy mail, calendar, messaging and document management workloads" in a $19.4m contract.
"Like many of you, I am appalled at the abhorrent policy of separating immigrant children from their families at the southern border of the US," CEO Satya Nadella told employees after they complained about the contract. "I want to be clear: Microsoft is not working with the US government on any projects related to separating children from their families at the border."
Two separate open letters to Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos said that the company should no longer provide hosting and services to Palantir, which in turn supports ICE and sister Homeland Security agency Customs and Border Protection.
An NBC analysis of federal data last year found that 24 people died in ICE custody under the current administration, including seven children, with a further four dying soon after being released.
This month it was revealed that ICE is trying to deport women who were witnesses or alleged victims of forced gynecological surgery at the hands of an ICE doctor. More than 50 women have come forward alleging jarring medical neglect at the hands of private prison company LaSalle Corrections. Under CBP's care, children were handled violently and sexually assaulted, human rights campaigners found.
In a procurement notice last year, CBP said it used Google Cloud Platform, AWS, Azure, IBM Cloud, and Oracle Cloud. It also used Salesforce and ServiceNow, as well as Quip, Zoom, Office 365, Power BI, IBM Maximo, IBM Trirega, and Presidio.
It is difficult to track exactly how much DHS agencies spent on cloud providers as they often use resellers. Bloomberg Government data estimates that in Fiscal 2020 ICE paid Microsoft more than $20m for products and services, $9.9m of which was for Azure. CBP spent about $21m on AWS, while ICE spent more than $24m on AWS-hosted Palantir this fiscal year.
A small number of Google employees also protested the CBP contracts, writing: "Its time to stand together again and state clearly that we will not work on any such contract. We demand that Google publicly commit not to support CBP, ICE, or ORR with any infrastructure, funding, or engineering resources, directly or indirectly, until they stop engaging in human rights abuses." The group added that any cloud provider that worked for CBP will be facilitating its human rights abuses."
The new cloud contract request comes as the Department of Homeland Security looks to reduce its own data center footprint and shift to the cloud.
It also comes at a period of turmoil for the department - this weekend, a federal judge ruled that acting Secretary Chad Wolf was not legally serving in his position as he was never confirmed by the Senate. Any rules signed by Wolf could potentially be illegal, and could be reversed.
Last week, two senior Department of Homeland Security officials were forced to resign by the White House as part of a wider reorganization pushing party loyalists. This week, President Trump fired Christopher Krebs after the director of the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency said that the 2020 election had been "the most secure in American history." His deputy resigned after the firing.
Continue reading here:
ICE plans $100 million in cloud spend on AWS and Azure - DatacenterDynamics
- Global Cloud Hosting Service Market Analysis highlights the impact of Covid-19 (2020-2025) | Top Players like A2 Hosting, SiteGround, InMotion,... - January 14th, 2021
- Anti-government website hosted in Montreal shut down after promoting armed protests in U.S. - CBC.ca - January 14th, 2021
- What Is Gab and Who Owns It? Learn More About the Platform Replacing Parler - Distractify - January 14th, 2021
- Global Cloud Hosting Service Market Overview, Boost Growth, Future Expectations, Key Developments And Forecast Till 2027 | Company1, Company2,... - January 14th, 2021
- There is huge demand for this one high paying job in South Africa - BusinessTech - January 14th, 2021
- Inflectra Expands Its Cloud Hosting to India - PRNewswire - January 12th, 2021
- Department of Education to Seek Cloud Hosting and Website Support and Development - MeriTalk - January 12th, 2021
- ServerWhere Launched Failover Cloud Servers in the U.S. and Europe - PRUnderground - January 12th, 2021
- How 5G and AI Are Creating an Architectural Revolution - Nextgov - January 12th, 2021
- Dade2, Cloud and IAAS Provider Introduces Opening of its Spanish Cloud Region - PR Web - January 12th, 2021
- The Slope Gets More Slippery As You Expect Content Moderation To Happen At The Infrastructure Layer - Techdirt - January 12th, 2021
- Pro-Trump Demonstration At Twitter Headquarters Appears To Be A Bust, Twitter Claims To Respect Peoples Right To Express Their Views: - CBS Denver - January 12th, 2021
- What is Gab? A far-right social alternative to Twitter - Business Insider - Business Insider - January 12th, 2021
- NICE Wins Technical Development Award at 2020 Symphony Hackathon for Integration with its Cloud-Based Messaging and Collaboration Platform - Business... - January 12th, 2021
- Expert Review: Application Hosting Market is Booming Worldwide to Reach Highest Growth | AWS, IBM, Rackspace, Google, Liquid Web, Microsoft -... - January 12th, 2021
- Bongino vows to fight Parler shutdown: 'I'll go bankrupt before I let this happen' - Fox News - January 12th, 2021
- Ben Domenech slams Big Tech over censorship of Trump, Parler: 'We really ought to be scared' - Fox News - January 12th, 2021
- Health Care Cloud and Hosting Market growth in New Research and Know about its Top growing factors by Key Companies like Med Tech Solutions Inc,... - January 12th, 2021
- Mediaite: Parler CEO says it took down post from Lin Wood calling for Mike Pence's execution - WDJT - January 12th, 2021
- Cloud and Dedicated Servers in Milan, Italy Launched by HCE - PRUnderground - January 4th, 2021
- Every Little Thing You Need to Know About Cloud Computing - Analytics Insight - January 4th, 2021
- Impact Analysis of Covid-19 On Cloud Web Hosting Services Market Expected to Showcase Extensive Growth at a Highest CAGR with- A2 Hosting, AccuWeb,... - January 4th, 2021
- How to run Hummingbot in the cloud? - Your Digital Wall - January 4th, 2021
- Cloudflare Introduces a Way to Build and Host Jamstack Sites with Cloudflare Pages - InfoQ.com - January 4th, 2021
- Global Cloud-Based VDI Market To Reach A New Threshold of Growth By 2026 - Factory Gate - January 4th, 2021
- Southeast Asia Web Hosting Services Market Prediction after Covid Pandemic and Analysis Offered By New Study 2020 2026 - LionLowdown - January 4th, 2021
- Valeo Networks Acquires Etech Solutions, Further Expanding National MSSP Footprint in the Midwest Region - PRNewswire - January 4th, 2021
- Indonesia Data Center Colocation Services Market Report 2020: Increase in Adoption of Data-intensive Technologies to Boost the Growth Pipeline for... - January 4th, 2021
- (Update Report On) Health Care Cloud and Hosting Market Forecast 2021-2026, Latest Trends and Opportunities| Med Tech Solutions Inc, Rackspace, Health... - January 4th, 2021
- The four (non-coronavirus) public sector tech trends that will define 2021 - PublicTechnology - January 4th, 2021
- Cloudflare is launching its very own cloud hosting service - TechRadar - December 23rd, 2020
- Marine Corps Issue RFI for Cloud Hosting and Migration of its Recruiting Info Support System - MeriTalk - December 23rd, 2020
- Banking of tomorrow with human and artificial intelligence - Web Hosting | Cloud Computing | Datacenter | Domain News - Daily Host News - December 23rd, 2020
- Cloud Hosting Service Market Development, Innovation, Opportunities and Growth to 2026 - LionLowdown - December 23rd, 2020
- Behind the scenes of a scaling business: Private vs public which cloud is right for you? - Startland News - December 23rd, 2020
- Cybereason Adopts Oracle Cloud Infrastructure to Enhance its Platform Security - Infosecurity Magazine - December 23rd, 2020
- What are the Software Development Trends of 2021? - Web Hosting | Cloud Computing | Datacenter | Domain News - Daily Host News - December 23rd, 2020
- The Top 21 Security Predictions for 2021 - Government Technology - December 23rd, 2020
- 2021 - The year of data extortion - DCD - DatacenterDynamics - December 23rd, 2020
- Digital Transformation Trends That Will Dominate Software Businesses in 2021 - Devdiscourse - December 23rd, 2020
- Scientists Braved the High Arctic to Chase Clouds on History's Largest Polar Trip - National Audubon Society - December 23rd, 2020
- Application Hosting Market Overview with Qualitative analysis, Competitive landscape & Forecast by 2027 - The Market Feed - November 30th, 2020
- 10 questions every agency should ask their managed hosting provider - The Drum - November 30th, 2020
- Application Hosting Market by Key Players, Product and Production Information analysis and forecast to 2026 - Murphy's Hockey Law - November 30th, 2020
- EdgeConnex Collaborates with Zenlayer to Improve Cloud Adoption - Database Trends and Applications - November 30th, 2020
- Radware Ranked by Gartner in Critical Capabilities for Cloud Web Application and API Protection Report - GlobeNewswire - November 30th, 2020
- Cloud ITSM Market Latest Report with Forecast to 2028 - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - November 30th, 2020
- January is going to be a very eventful month here's an exclusive look at what's on the calendar - WRAL Tech Wire - November 30th, 2020
- Cloud Computing | RackCloudSpace | The Magazineplus - The Magazine Plus - November 28th, 2020
- Sagenext Relies on phoenixNAP to Deliver Superior Tax and Accounting Software Hosting Services - PR Web - November 28th, 2020
- Dundee City Council has moved IT workloads to the Cloud - DatacenterDynamics - November 28th, 2020
- VMware Reports Fiscal Year 2021 Third Quarter Results - Web Hosting | Cloud Computing | Datacenter | Domain News - Daily Host News - November 28th, 2020
- Automation to shape cybersecurity activities in 2021 - Help Net Security - November 28th, 2020
- Professional Services Automation Market Share, Size, Analysis, Growth, Industry Statistics and Forecast 2025 - Khabar South Asia - November 28th, 2020
- End-user spending on India public cloud to rise nearly 30% next year - iTWire - November 28th, 2020
- This Week in Jobs DE: Gigs and giblets for the hungry job hunter - Technical.ly Delaware - November 28th, 2020
- Financial services companies are starting to use the cloud for big data and AI processing - TechRepublic - November 19th, 2020
- Latest Update 2020: Cloud Hosting Service Market by COVID19 Impact Analysis And Top Manufacturers: A2 Hosting, SiteGround, InMotion, HostGator,... - November 19th, 2020
- The Hyper Digitization Era Blessing in disguise for the technology industry - Web Hosting | Cloud Computing | Datacenter | Domain News - Daily Host... - November 19th, 2020
- 'China-Backed Hacking Group' Allegedly Works on Global Campaign Targeting Automotives, Pharmaceutica - Tech Times - November 19th, 2020
- Application Hosting Market Report Examines Analysis by Latest Trends, Growth Factors, Key Players and Forecast to 2028 - TechnoWeekly - November 19th, 2020
- Latest Study explores the Microserver Market Witness Highest Growth in near future - AlgosOnline - November 19th, 2020
- DLT Solutions Bolsters Hybrid Cloud, AI, Security and Other Software Offerings for the U.S. Public Sector with IBM Solutions - Inside NoVA - November 19th, 2020
- 8 Valuable Tips for Securing your Data on the Cloud in 2020 - DC Velocity - November 10th, 2020
- Public Cloud: The Indispensable Component for Businesses - HostReview.com - November 10th, 2020
- Datto Announces Third Quarter 2020 Financial Results Conference Call - Web Hosting | Cloud Computing | Datacenter | Domain News - Daily Host News - November 10th, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market Size, Drivers, Potential Growth Opportunities, Competitive Landscape, Trends And Forecast To 2027 - Eurowire - November 10th, 2020
- Google Cloud and OVHcloud team up for European 'trusted cloud solution' partnership - Cloud Tech - November 10th, 2020
- Microsoft: New VS Code update is out plus here's what GitHub Codespaces will cost - ZDNet - November 10th, 2020
- Cloud service provider DC Two to float on the ASX as DC2 - iTMunch - November 10th, 2020
- Global It Infrastructure Services Market Analysis and Forecast to 2026 by Recent Trends, Development and Regional Growth Overview - Zenit News - November 10th, 2020
- Global Sales Force Automation Software Market Size, Analytical Overview, Growth Factors, Demand, Trends and Forecast to 2025 - AlgosOnline - November 10th, 2020
- SAP HANA Hosting Super-Powered by WorldPosta's Cloud "Pool of Resources" - PR Web - November 8th, 2020
- Global Cloud Hosting Service Market 2020 | Know the Companies List Could Potentially Benefit or Loose out From the Impact of COVID-19 | Top Companies:... - November 8th, 2020
- Create your own VPN for pennies with the cheapest virtual compute instance around - TechRadar - November 8th, 2020
- Web Hosting Services Market 2020 and Forecast 2021-2027 Includes Business Impact Analysis of COVID-19 - Eurowire - November 8th, 2020
- How IONOS is looking towards privacy and Europe for a solid share of the cloud market - Cloud Tech - November 8th, 2020
- Cloud Infrastructure Services Market Research, Size, Share Analysis by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application to 2026 - PRnews Leader - November 8th, 2020
- Cloud Computing Market Analysis, COVID-19 Impact,Outlook, Opportunities, Size, Share Forecast and Supply Demand 2021-2027|Trusted Business Insights -... - November 8th, 2020
- What is web hosting? - Creative Bloq - November 8th, 2020