It's increasingly looking like the public cloud infrastructure is swallowing large swaths of communications applications and infrastructure. With the public cloud providers growing faster and approaching capital spending (capex) levels that rival, and in some cases surpass, the largest telecommunications providers, there's no reason to think this trend won't continue.
In other words: The cloud's eating everything. And that includes a wide range of applications ranging from consumer applications such as Facebook and Instagram to enterprise applications such as unified communications, enterprise business suites, security, and Internet of Things (IoT).
RELATED: Raynovich: How service providers can avoid bungling the edge
Webinar: Identity Assurance Restoring Your Customers Trust in the Phone
Learn about Ribbon Call TrustTM, an identity assurance solution that encompasses STIR/SHAKEN and on a per-call, real-time basis will: determine caller intent and identify bad actors from network and call data analytics; provide multi-dimensional reputation scoring using Machine Learning algorithms; and recommend optimal call validation treatment. And will do this for both IP and TDM phone calls. With Ribbon Call Trust you can defeat robocalls and fraud attacks, truly restoring your customers trust in the phone.
An analysis by Futuriom of historical capex spending in the last three years puts this mind-boggling growth on full display, with leading public cloud infrastructure players such as Amazon, Facebook, and Microsoft growing revenues and capex at an annual pace typically in excess of 30%. To compare, the revenue growth and capex growth of major service providers such as AT&T, Vodafone, or Verizon remains in the single digitsif thatand appears to be trending toward flattish. In some cases, in fact, revenues at some major service providers including AT&T may actually shrink in 2020, based on sequential Q1 results.
Meanwhile the cloud providers spend as much, if not more on capital spending, and seem to be getting more bang for their buck. Just as an example, Amazon is spending about $24 billion on capexwhile it runs arguably the world's largest IT infrastructureand AT&T spends about the same.
It could be a vicious cycle for service providers. If you can't attract new applications and services to grow revenue, it's hard to invest in capex. And if you can't invest in capex, you won't grow new services and applications. As the monster rise of Amazon has shown, capex and infrastructure investments are the lifeblood of the cloud. The trend is likely to accelerate. As 5G comes online and public cloud providers such as Microsoft and Amazon have shown a keen interest in hosting more of the 5G edge infrastructure, the cloud is eating everythingincluding communications services.
RELATED: Raynovich: What are the next great 5G edge apps and will service providers be able to monetize them?
Our Cloud Tracker follows the leading public companies supplying cloud infrastructure services. We carefully analyzed the size and scope of major players and came up with a list of eight market leaders we believe is representative of cloudscale trends. These included Alibaba (NYSE: BABA) Alphabet (Nasdaq: GOOGL) Amazon (Nasdaq: AMZN), Apple (Nasdaq: AAPL), Equinix (Nasdaq: EQIX), Facebook (Nasdaq: FB), IBM (NYSE: IBM), and Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT).
A couple of important public vendors, such as Oracle (NYSE: ORCL) and VMware (NYSE: VMW), have reporting cycles that prevent accurate comparisons across traditional calendar quarters and years. We follow the spending patterns of these companies, but the data was difficult to include in our analysis because of the different reporting cycles.
A closer look reveals a few interesting trends:
For major cloud providers, revenues are growing.
Public cloud capex is steadily increasing.
Cash flow from operations of the major cloud providers has generally improved, in some instances dramatically.
Public cloud providers are increasingly taking control of their own infrastructure buildouts, not ceding expansion to telcos.
In other words, the cloud eats everything.
When you drill down into specific companies there are some very interesting findings. For example, Facebook led in nearly all metrics over the past three years. Its capex spending boomed 124% from 2017 to 2019, while revenues increased 74%. The next closest in scale was Google, with 46% revenue growth and 79% capex growth over the three-year period. Microsoft clocked in with a respectable 31% revenue growth and 56% increase in capex. Not bad for a company with annual revenue of $125 billion (2019).
Colocation and cloud are growing in sync, to build out the footprint of the cloud and get services closer to customers. Its no surprise that Alphabet, Amazon, Equinix, and Microsoft increased capex by double digits over the three-year period, given the growth of cloud services for enterprise use during that time. And Facebooks dominance in consumer cloud clearly factored in its soaring investments in infrastructure.
The trend does not show any signs of slowing down, even during a recession. In fact, it's clear that the work from home (WFH) trend will likely provide a boon to cloud servicesespecially those involving enterprise communications. For most public cloud providers we track, revenues in the first quarter of 2020 rose. While large-scale enterprise projects stalled, the rise in remote work rose high enough to maintain the upward trend, as noted in the table below. Of course, there's still much more to play out in 2020so we'll be tracking the forthcoming Q2 numbers closely.
It's clear to me that we've reached a critical point in the evolution of both consumer and enterprises services hosted on cloud infrastructure. The cloud players are now in the dominant position to deliver services going forward. And the coming wave of 5G and edge infrastructure is likely to accelerate that trend.
R. Scott Raynovich is the founder and chief analyst ofFuturiom.For two decades, he has been covering a wide range of technology as an editor, analyst, and publisher. Most recently, he was VP of research at SDxCentral.com, which acquired his previous technology website, Rayno Report, in 2015. Prior to that, he was the editor in chief of Light Reading, where he worked for nine years. Raynovich has also served as investment editor at Red Herring, where he started the New York bureau and helped build the original Redherring.com website. He has won several industry awards, including an Editor & Publisher award for Best Business Blog, and his analysis has been featured by prominent media outlets including NPR, CNBC, The Wall Street Journal, and the San Jose Mercury News. He can be reached at[emailprotected];follow him@rayno.
Industry Voicesare opinion columns written by outside contributorsoften industry experts or analystswho are invited to the conversation by FierceTelecom staff. They do not represent the opinions of FierceTelecom.
Continue reading here:
Industry VoicesRaynovich: The cloud is swallowing everything - FierceTelecom
- Jelastic PaaS Expanded for Educational Institutions with Reclaim Cloud Hosting in the USA, Canada and the United Kingdom - HostReview.com - August 10th, 2020
- Big Boom In Health Care Cloud and Hosting Market With A Growing CACR During 2020-2027| Med Tech Solutions Inc, Rackspace, Health Catalyst, OVH Cloud,... - August 10th, 2020
- Verizon Business Plans to Simplify and Accelerate E2E IoT Solution with Microsoft Azure - The Fast Mode - August 10th, 2020
- What you should know when creating your own website - MyBroadband - August 10th, 2020
- Palomino Inc. Completes Acquisition of GCIS Inc. to Grow Cloud Hosting and Business Application Support in Times of COVID-19 - Yahoo Finance - August 8th, 2020
- Cloud Infrastructure Services Market Research Report by Service Type, by Organization Size, by Deployment, by Vertical - Global Forecast to 2025 -... - August 8th, 2020
- Cloud Hosted vs. On-Premise vs. Self Hosted vs. Private Cloud PMS: All Platforms Have Advantages; Which is Right for You? | By Warren Dehan -... - August 8th, 2020
- Capital One to pay $80M penalty over 2019 data breach - Banking Dive - August 8th, 2020
- 16 reasons why you should move your backup to a NZ-hosted solution - IT Brief New Zealand - August 8th, 2020
- All PMS Platforms Have Advantages, But Which One is Right for Your Hotel? | - Hotel Technology News - August 8th, 2020
- Bare metal vs dedicated servers: which is the better web hosting option? - ITProPortal - August 8th, 2020
- Help For Caregivers Coming to St Cloud VA - KNSI Radio - August 8th, 2020
- [Webinar] eDiscovery In The Age of Cloud Applications: How To Collect From Slack - August 20th, 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm ET - JD Supra - August 8th, 2020
- Army transitions from Industrial Age to Information Age Fort Carson Mountaineer - fortcarsonmountaineer.com - July 25th, 2020
- Adobe Partners With Red Hat, Google Updates AI Offering and More CX News - CMSWire - July 25th, 2020
- Cloud Migration - COVID Effect - Story of Future - July 25th, 2020
- Pandemic shockwave shatters cultural barriers to cloud adoption - Daily Trust - July 25th, 2020
- How much it costs to build and host a website in South Africa - MyBroadband - July 25th, 2020
- Network Host Service Market to Grow Significantly With Increasing Advancements in Technology, Says QYR| AT&T, Google Cloud, GoDaddy - Owned - July 25th, 2020
- A CoE in IoT in Agriculture at Guwahati, Animation at Shillong and Emerging Tech-AR/VR Launched - Express Computer - July 25th, 2020
- Top 5 Things to Know in the Market on Thursday, July 23rd By .com - Up News Info - July 25th, 2020
- Cloud Hosting Service Market Size By Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies And Forecast Up To 2026 - 3rd... - July 14th, 2020
- Health Care Cloud and Hosting Market Comprehensive Survey on Demand by 2025 - Cole of Duty - July 14th, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 on Application Hosting 2020-2027 with Focusing Key players like IBM, AWS, Google, Rackspace, etc - Cole of Duty - July 14th, 2020
- Google reportedly abandoned a cloud computing product for the Chinese market - The Verge - July 14th, 2020
- Southeast Asia Web Hosting Services Market Share, 5evelopment Status and Outlook by Players To 2020-2025 | Amazon Web Services, AT & T, Google,... - July 14th, 2020
- Migrating Your Clients to an Alternative Cloud Provider is Easier than You Might Think - Channel Futures - July 14th, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market Size By Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies And Forecast Up To 2026... - July 14th, 2020
- Bullish Google looks to invest $10 billion over 7 years to digitize India - Livemint - July 14th, 2020
- Cloud Hosting Service Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 8th, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 8th, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market: 2020 Global Industry Size, Share, Uses, Benefits, Trends, Growth Application, Key Manufacturers and 2026 Demand... - July 8th, 2020
- Y Soft announces YSoft SAFEQ Cloud, a New Family of Cloud-Based Print Services - What They Think - July 8th, 2020
- Mohamed Arab Joins VPLS as VP of Cloud and Managed Services - PR Web - July 8th, 2020
- Dremio Dives Deep Below the Surface for the Industry's First Cloud Data Lake Conference - Business Wire - July 8th, 2020
- Astonishing growth in Cloud Communications Platform Market anticipates to grow at $ 4.4 billion by 2021, from 2016 to 2021, with CAGR of 26.8% with... - July 8th, 2020
- MediaOps' New 'Digital Anarchist' Streaming Video Platform Delivers Expert Content on What's Next In DevOps, Cybersecurity, Cloud Native and Digital... - July 8th, 2020
- Green House Data and Zerto Fast-Track Digital Transformation with Hybrid Cloud Resilience and Portability - MyHostNews.com - July 8th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact On Cloud Hosting Service Providers Market Projection By Latest Technology, Global Analysis, Industry Growth, Current Trends And... - July 4th, 2020
- Sell-Side Technology Awards 2020: Best Cloud Provider to the Sell SideBT - www.waterstechnology.com - July 4th, 2020
- Global Cloud Hosting Service Market 2020 Analysis, Types, Applications, Forecast and COVID-19 Impact Analysis 2026 - Daily Research Chronicles - July 4th, 2020
- Green House Data and Zerto Fast-Track Digital Transformation with Hybrid Cloud Resilience - AiThority - July 4th, 2020
- Leaseweb's Five-Year Growth Exceeds Double the Market Average, Further Cementing Position as Top Player in International Cloud Hosting Market -... - July 4th, 2020
- THNQ fund from ROBO Global looks ahead to AI infrastructure growth - Robot Report - July 4th, 2020
- Bare Metal Cloud Market research, Industry Outlook, Current Trends and Forecast by 2025 - CueReport - July 4th, 2020
- Application Hosting Market | Global Industry Analysis, Segments, Top Key Players, Drivers and Trends to 2027 - Cole of Duty - July 4th, 2020
- Professional Services Automation Market Key Vendors, Analysis by Growth and Revolutionary Opportunities by 2025 - Apsters News - July 4th, 2020
- VyOS and FastNetMon Announce Integration | 2020-07-01 | Press Releases - Stockhouse - July 4th, 2020
- India bans 59 Chinese apps including TikTok and WeChat - Data Economy - July 4th, 2020
- Global Bare Metal Cloud Market with Covid-19 Effect Analysis | likewise Industry is Booming Globaly with Key Players IBM Corporation, Oracle... - July 4th, 2020
- Leaseweb's Five-Year growth Exceeds Double the Market Average, Further Cementing Position as Top Player in International Cloud Hosting Market - PR Web - June 30th, 2020
- Cloud hosting group confident on future prospects - The Business Desk - June 30th, 2020
- Connor and Scalio Announce Venture to Bring GRC and License Optimization to the Cloud - GlobeNewswire - June 30th, 2020
- What Is Cloud Computing? - World Atlas - June 30th, 2020
- Thought Machine's Vault Now Proven and Available on All Infrastructure Options: SaaS, Private or Public Cloud, Hybrid Cloud and on Premises - Business... - June 30th, 2020
- Global Application Hosting Market : Industry Analysis and forecast 2020 2027 - Morning Tick - June 30th, 2020
- Data Centers Above the Clouds: Colocation Goes to Space - Data Center Frontier - June 30th, 2020
- 'This Pandemic Has Highlighted The Importance Of Cloud System': Anand Chandra, Synechron - Express Computer - June 30th, 2020
- Southeast Asia Web Hosting Services Market 2020 Digital Learning, Growth Analysis, Industry Trends, Advanced Technologies, Services, Business Overview... - June 30th, 2020
- 4 common software maintenance models and when to use them - TechTarget - June 30th, 2020
- Applying AI and Cloud Technologies for Multivariate Control in Upstream Processes, Upcoming Webinar Hosted by Xtalks - PR Web - June 30th, 2020
- How to Host Your Own VPN with Algo and Cloud Hosting - How-To Geek - June 27th, 2020
- Web Hosting Services Market 2019 Size Overview By Industrial Application, E-Commerce Boom, Cloud Hosting, Latest Trends, New-Advancements in Internet... - June 27th, 2020
- This week in storage: Teradata in the cloud, WD Zoned SSDs and more - Blocks and Files - June 27th, 2020
- Top 10 Cloud Technology Market Exclusive insight on Transformation 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 27th, 2020
- Why you should shun unmanaged hosting and adopt managed - MOARGeek - June 27th, 2020
- E.ON selects Wipro for grid and digital transformation - Smart Energy - June 27th, 2020
- Application Hosting Market Key Players, Industry Overview, Application and Analysis to 2020-2026 - 3rd Watch News - June 27th, 2020
- Top 5 IT Certifications That Will Get You Paid in 2020 - ClearanceJobs - ClearanceJobs - June 27th, 2020
- Global personal cloud market is expected to grow with a healthy CAGR over the forecast period from 2020-2026 - Salamanca Press - June 27th, 2020
- An Introduction to Dave Antrobus, technology director of Fresh Thinking Group - Business MattersBusiness Matters - June 27th, 2020
- Uploadcare Media Pipeline for Online Business Wins at Nanjing Tech Week Competition - AsiaOne - June 27th, 2020
- JIESHUN Smart Parking and Cloud Hosting at Shenzhen Bao'an International Airport - Parking Network - June 22nd, 2020
- Cloud Computing Transforming And Revolutionising Cybersecurity In India - Inc42 Media - June 22nd, 2020
- Cloud Hosting Service Market Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Share, Growth, Statistics, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 22nd, 2020
- Global Application Hosting Market 2020 by Type, Share, Applications, Key Players, Growth, Trends and Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 22nd, 2020
- Grading and audio post in the cloud | Industry Trends | IBC - IBC365 - June 22nd, 2020
- Serverless Architecture Market 2020 Global Trend, Segmentation and Opportunities Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 22nd, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact and Recovery Analysis- Global Email Hosting Services Market 2020-2024 | Growing Adoption of the Bring-Your-Own-Device (BYOD) Policy to... - June 22nd, 2020
- Global Cloud Hosting Service Market Expected to Grow with a Significant Rate by 2024 Top Players : DreamHost, GoDaddy, HostGator, InMotion, Bluehost,... - June 22nd, 2020