The time has passed when organisations were content with gradually moving data and applications out of costly on-premises data centres and into the cloud. Now, the strategic imperative is to create IT environments that can support emerging technologies such as IoT, edge computing, AI and 5G. It has businesses opening the floodgates to migrate everything to a multi-cloud utopia ASAP.
At first there was a cloud first strategy. This was where new applications and workloads were developed in the cloud and legacy applications were slowly migrated over. Cloud NOW! is the new mandate where on-premises legacy and mission-critical applications are all subject to migration.
Businesses are laser-focused on getting to a resilient, high performance, future-proof cloud infrastructure ASAP. But they shouldnt gloss over the challenges along the way. Forrester research indicates that 50 percent of digital transformation efforts stall. One of the primary reasons is lack of preparation. Depending on your viewpoint, digital transformation is either your end goal, or the foundation you need for next generation technology. Either way, to benefit from whats next, we need to better prepare.
Making the decision to move to the cloud is just the start. It throws up a wealth of questions to address before the project can succeed. Over the past decade, iland has been helping customers answer those questions in relation to cloud hosting, cloud-based disaster recovery and cloud backup solutions. Ultimately, the multi-cloud or bust drive will likely happen.
We will adopt multiple clouds. But, we should focus on adopting one cloud strategy first, so the multi-cloud movement doesnt inflict unnecessary pain, risk or excessive cost. We should also make sure we are in a position to anticipate risk factors before they become complications. Its about getting your house in order before exposing your cloud infrastructure to the added pressures of multiple clouds or emerging technology.
In our experience, businesses must address six key areas for their multi-cloud ambitions to be successful:
You need visibility and control over your data before you innovate. However, the proliferation of cloud services makes it easy for anyone with a credit card to set up a SaaS-based application or storage site. The moment they do, the corporate data that theyre sharing and storing goes beyond the business control. In todays data protection environment, this constitutes an unacceptable security and compliance risk that must be prevented.
To solve this problem, you need a two-prong approach. First, identify why business units take matters into their own hands. Is it down to impatience with IT backlogs? Lack of respect for data protection policies? Demand for facilities you didnt offer or support? Once you address this question, you must implement a corporate cloud policy that restricts new, unauthorized cloud-based resources to give IT and security personnel full visibility over what data is in the cloud and where.
Cloud transition is all about finding the right fit. This is more than preventing over- or under-provisioning resources. Its also about getting your critical data, existing applications and workloads transitioned securely to the cloud with minimal disruption, and without rewriting them. Its also about finding a cloud that fits your broad business needs including those indicated by shadow IT cloud services that you want to eventually control.
If, for example, you operate a VMware environment on-premises, it makes sense to choose a cloud service provider with the expertise to support migration of virtualised applications and ensure the specific performance you need in the cloud. Getting this right early in your migration gives you the best chance of realising your goals.
In todays high-risk cybersecurity environment, security and compliance are more than something you check off. View them through the lens of business needs and risks. For example, there may be a geographic stipulation regarding data storage for GDPR compliance, or industry-specific security standards to meet if you operate in finance or healthcare.
Offering compliant cloud services is merely table-stakes for CSPs. Security environments are constantly changing. This requires businesses to develop ongoing, constructive CSP partnerships for expertise to support scheduled audits, security breaches or emerging threats. You need to know that you can call someone for informed counsel when the stakes are high to make the right decisions for your business.
As mentioned earlier, many businesses are pushing a cloud now strategy for critical applications to achieve the end-goals. But when planning how to get there, it is important to look at how to manage the journey. Some providers offer software and infrastructure but will not manage the migration process itself. Others offer a concierge service to migrate customer data to the cloud.
Your approach depends on how much in-house resource and expertise you need to support your project. A fully managed concierge approach is likely a better bet if you are already stretched. Consultancy fees can be costly and add up if you run into issues part-way through your migration. Its better to have your migration journey mapped out and managed to avoid nasty surprises.
Aim for a multi-layered approach to data protection that safeguards data based on its value and vulnerability. Mission-critical applications need a backup plan and disaster recovery solution that includes an off-premises backup. Use a mirror site to keep this separate from your production environment. This also ensures that data is protected based on its value and associated risk.
Visibility and management are often a common barrier when migrating to the cloud. However, it is possible to achieve the same level of familiarity, visibility and control over a cloud environment similar to an on-premises infrastructure, including security, costs and performance across the full stack available for management and reporting. This is the final key to gaining the benefits of moving to the cloud.
The urgency to transition fully to the cloud is understandable. But unless you focus on getting your house in order first, you could find that your projects cant achieve your stated goals. Get one cloud (and associated operational policies) done right before you deliberately adopt multiple clouds. Its a case of more haste, less speed. Focusing on key aspects of the migration journey and looking at how your business governs cloud use, security, data protection and compliance will pay off in the long term.
iland is a global cloud service provider of secure and compliant hosting for infrastructure (IaaS), disaster recovery (DRaaS), and backup as a service (BaaS). They are recognised by industry analysts as a leader in disaster recovery. The award-winning iland Secure Cloud Console natively combines deep layered security, predictive analytics and compliance to deliver unmatched visibility and ease of management for all of ilands cloud services. Headquartered in Houston, Texas and London, UK, iland delivers cloud services from its data centres throughout the Americas, Europe, Australia and Asia.
- Ways In Which Cloud Hosting Affects SEO Services And Results - HostReview.com - January 13th, 2020
- Home Office reinforces commitment to AWS with 100m cloud hosting deal - ComputerWeekly.com - January 13th, 2020
- WSL 2: Where is it, and where is it going? - TechRepublic - January 13th, 2020
- The biggest govtech deals of the week (13/01/20) - NS Tech - January 13th, 2020
- Lost in Migration? Attributing carbon when outsourcing to cloud - Data Economy - January 13th, 2020
- UKCloud announces new discounts to help organisations thrive and build an increasingly independent national capability - RealWire - January 13th, 2020
- How Cloud Computing is Driving the Industrial Revolution 4.0 - Elets - January 13th, 2020
- Informatica expands its leadership team and appoints Amit Walia as CEO - Data Economy - January 8th, 2020
- Enhancing Hyperscale Cloud Growth at the infra // STRUCTURE Summit - Yahoo Finance - January 8th, 2020
- Green House Data Adds Digital Transformation Expert Victor Tingler to Executive Team to Lead Enterprise Consulting Services - Yahoo Finance - January 8th, 2020
- Five Things To Do in St. Cloud, Jan. 13-17 - SC Times - January 8th, 2020
- FASB cloud computing cost standard to soon take effect - Compliance Week - January 3rd, 2020
- Amazon, Google, Microsoft: Who had the best year in cloud in 2019? - The Register - January 3rd, 2020
- Recovery In The Cloud: An Online Alternative To Face-To-Face AA Meetings - Forbes - January 3rd, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market Future Investment Initiatives, Growing with Technology Development, New Innovations, Competitive Analysis and... - January 3rd, 2020
- Five Things To Do in St. Cloud, Jan. 6-10 - SC Times - January 3rd, 2020
- Are you ready to rock? City of St. Cloud hosting annual New Year's Eve event - Osceola News-Gazette - December 30th, 2019
- The biggest government tech stories of 2019 part one - PublicTechnology - December 30th, 2019
- The year of the French unicorns - TechCrunch - December 30th, 2019
- Startup Events This Week: Pulse42 and Mixer By Inc42, Drone Festival - Inc42 Media - December 30th, 2019
- Head to Head Survey: Snap (NYSE:SNAP) and Infinite Group (NYSE:IMCI) - Trent Times - December 30th, 2019
- Microsoft and Oracle extend their international cloud love-in - Data Economy - December 26th, 2019
- GDS publishes guidance on avoiding cloud lock-in - UKAuthority.com - December 26th, 2019
- Three Most Valuable Benefits that Encourage Companies to Adopt Serverless Architecture - Embedded Computing Design - December 26th, 2019
- Year-end Experience with the future prediction from Leaders - APN News - December 26th, 2019
- Key Factors behind Colocation and Managed Hosting Services Market Climbs on Positive Outlook of Booming Sales - Market Reports Observer - December 26th, 2019
- Will 2020 Be the Year of LoRa Networks? - Embedded Computing Design - December 26th, 2019
- Building Tech Solutions And Giving Back - Forbes - December 26th, 2019
- Allscripts Healthcare Solutions (NASDAQ:MDRX) Upgraded to Hold by ValuEngine - Slater Sentinel - December 26th, 2019
- Unisys objects to CFPB cloud award - Washington Technology - December 19th, 2019
- Cloud Hosting Service Market Size Will Grow Profitably In Upcoming Estimation, Challenges And Future Forecast 2025 - Bulletin Line - December 19th, 2019
- BP selects AWS over Azure for cloud-first strategy and climate ambitions - Diginomica - December 19th, 2019
- How to Eliminate IT Complexity and Succeed - Marketing Tech Outlook - December 19th, 2019
- Checkmarx Recognized as AWS Provider of Application Security Testing Solutions for Public Sector - HostReview.com - December 19th, 2019
- Bidco to acquire cloud firm after Boards agree on 79.4m deal - East Midlands Business Link - December 19th, 2019
- Bare Metal Cloud Market Scope and Opportunities Analysis 2017 2025 - News Cast Report - December 19th, 2019
- Kubernetes Security Leader Alcide Releases 2020 Predictions: Kubernetes on the Edge, Intelligent and Automated K8s Security and the Rise of... - December 19th, 2019
- Understanding the Benefits of Microsoft Azure Consulting for your Business - The Future of Things - December 19th, 2019
- Leaseweb USA Research Reveals that Nearly Two Thirds of Organizations Cite Hybrid or Private Cloud as the Future Infrastructure of Choice -... - December 19th, 2019
- Cloud Hosting Service Market Competitive Landscaping Mapping The Key Common Trends, Growth Analysis and Forecast 2024 - News Tribune - December 16th, 2019
- How SmartLogic helped these teams grow and manage scale with DevOps support - Technical.ly Brooklyn - December 16th, 2019
- Summit acquires fellow hosting company to boost its SMB reach - Data Economy - December 16th, 2019
- Atlassian welcomes third-party developers into the cloud with Forge - SDTimes.com - December 16th, 2019
- Working at the heart of digitalisation - Data Economy - December 16th, 2019
- Bare Metal Cloud Market 2019 In-Depth Analysis and Future Forecast 2019-2026 | Key Players include IBM Corporation , Oracle Corporation , Centurylink... - December 16th, 2019
- The Top 13 Cloud Computing Conferences to Attend in 2020 - Solutions Review - December 14th, 2019
- Oracle Plans To Ride ERP And Database To Greater Cloud Glory - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - December 14th, 2019
- Understanding Control, Security and Risk When Moving to Cloud - - Enterprise Times - December 14th, 2019
- 8 Cloud Outages That Shook The Tech World In 2019 - Analytics India Magazine - December 14th, 2019
- Microsoft Is Ignoring Amazons Dispute Over The U.S. JEDI Cloud Contract - Wccftech - December 14th, 2019
- Schneider Electric Wins 'AI/ Machine Learning Innovation' and 'Edge Project of the Year' at the 2019 SDC Awards - EnerCom Inc. - December 14th, 2019
- Firms believe hybrid or private cloud to be the future, research shows - DevOps Online - December 14th, 2019
- Global Bare Metal Cloud Market Foresight by 2019 2025| Key Companies IBM Corp., Oracle Corporation, Centurylink Incorporation, Rackspace Hosting... - December 14th, 2019
- What is Platform-as-a-Service? Everything you need to know about PaaS - TechRadar - December 9th, 2019
- Data security and the cloud: 3 things your team needs to know - TechBeacon - December 9th, 2019
- Australian animation studio, Animal Logic, partners with AWS to render films in the cloud - Which-50 - December 9th, 2019
- G7CR Technologies - The Journey of 2019 Microsoft Country Partner - Techstory - December 9th, 2019
- Service Express Addresses the Failure Curve at Gartner IT Infrastructure, Operations & Cloud Strategies Conference 2019 - PR Web - December 9th, 2019
- Global Cloud Hosting Service Market 2019 Industry Research, Segmentation, Key Players Analysis and Forecast to 2024 - News Midget - December 4th, 2019
- Logz.io Unveils First-Ever Open Source-Based Cloud Observability Platform Powered by ELK and Grafana - GlobeNewswire - December 4th, 2019
- 'Big 3' Public Cloud Providers: 4 Reasons Not to Use Them - ITPro Today - December 4th, 2019
- Global Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market 2019 by Manufacturers, Countries, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 - World Industry Reports - December 4th, 2019
- Join Us For The IBM i On The Public Cloud Webinar - IT Jungle - December 4th, 2019
- Amazon reveals new server chip to take on Intel - MyBroadband - December 4th, 2019
- SysGroup (LON:SYS) Hits New 1-Year Low at $33.50 - TechNewsObserver - December 4th, 2019
- How to match your IT workloads to the right cloud - TechBeacon - December 2nd, 2019
- Application modernisation in 2020 and beyond why businesses need to be ready now - CIO Australia - December 2nd, 2019
- Cloud Performance Varies Across the World, New Report Finds - ITPro Today - December 2nd, 2019
- Black Friday & Cyber Monday: These web hosting offers come only once a year - MyHostNews.com - November 30th, 2019
- HostNOC offering a big discount on its hosting and dedicated servers - Press Release - Digital Journal - November 30th, 2019
- Processing 30 billion images a month, heres how ImageKit delivers 98% of the optimised images in under 50 mil - YourStory - November 30th, 2019
- Cloud-based Database Market 2019 to Perceive Biggest Trend and Opportunity with Key Players Google, Amazon Web Services, IBM, Microsoft, Oracle,... - November 30th, 2019
- This Week in Jobs: We're one wild turkey - Technical.ly - November 30th, 2019
- Data Center Outsourcing and Hybrid Infrastructure Managed Services Market Revenue, Region Analysis, And Forecast 2024 - Space Market Research - November 30th, 2019
- Why Is Apple Trusted More Than Google? - Forbes - November 30th, 2019
- Ryuk ransomware attack on cloud hosting company affected 110 hospitals - TEISS - November 28th, 2019
- Embrace the Journey of Technological Transformation - CIOReview - November 28th, 2019
- Global Disaster Recovery-as-a-Service (DRaaS) Market 2018-2022 | Evolving Opportunities with IBM and iland | Technavio - Business Wire - November 28th, 2019
- Join In For The IBM i On The Public Cloud Webinar - IT Jungle - November 28th, 2019
- If tsoHost is lecturing us on sleep hygiene, Brit outfit really does have hosting back to front - The Register - November 28th, 2019