The time has passed when organisations were content with gradually moving data and applications out of costly on-premises data centres and into the cloud. Now, the strategic imperative is to create IT environments that can support emerging technologies such as IoT, edge computing, AI and 5G. It has businesses opening the floodgates to migrate everything to a multi-cloud utopia ASAP.
At first there was a cloud first strategy. This was where new applications and workloads were developed in the cloud and legacy applications were slowly migrated over. Cloud NOW! is the new mandate where on-premises legacy and mission-critical applications are all subject to migration.
Businesses are laser-focused on getting to a resilient, high performance, future-proof cloud infrastructure ASAP. But they shouldnt gloss over the challenges along the way. Forrester research indicates that 50 percent of digital transformation efforts stall. One of the primary reasons is lack of preparation. Depending on your viewpoint, digital transformation is either your end goal, or the foundation you need for next generation technology. Either way, to benefit from whats next, we need to better prepare.
Making the decision to move to the cloud is just the start. It throws up a wealth of questions to address before the project can succeed. Over the past decade, iland has been helping customers answer those questions in relation to cloud hosting, cloud-based disaster recovery and cloud backup solutions. Ultimately, the multi-cloud or bust drive will likely happen.
We will adopt multiple clouds. But, we should focus on adopting one cloud strategy first, so the multi-cloud movement doesnt inflict unnecessary pain, risk or excessive cost. We should also make sure we are in a position to anticipate risk factors before they become complications. Its about getting your house in order before exposing your cloud infrastructure to the added pressures of multiple clouds or emerging technology.
In our experience, businesses must address six key areas for their multi-cloud ambitions to be successful:
You need visibility and control over your data before you innovate. However, the proliferation of cloud services makes it easy for anyone with a credit card to set up a SaaS-based application or storage site. The moment they do, the corporate data that theyre sharing and storing goes beyond the business control. In todays data protection environment, this constitutes an unacceptable security and compliance risk that must be prevented.
To solve this problem, you need a two-prong approach. First, identify why business units take matters into their own hands. Is it down to impatience with IT backlogs? Lack of respect for data protection policies? Demand for facilities you didnt offer or support? Once you address this question, you must implement a corporate cloud policy that restricts new, unauthorized cloud-based resources to give IT and security personnel full visibility over what data is in the cloud and where.
Cloud transition is all about finding the right fit. This is more than preventing over- or under-provisioning resources. Its also about getting your critical data, existing applications and workloads transitioned securely to the cloud with minimal disruption, and without rewriting them. Its also about finding a cloud that fits your broad business needs including those indicated by shadow IT cloud services that you want to eventually control.
If, for example, you operate a VMware environment on-premises, it makes sense to choose a cloud service provider with the expertise to support migration of virtualised applications and ensure the specific performance you need in the cloud. Getting this right early in your migration gives you the best chance of realising your goals.
In todays high-risk cybersecurity environment, security and compliance are more than something you check off. View them through the lens of business needs and risks. For example, there may be a geographic stipulation regarding data storage for GDPR compliance, or industry-specific security standards to meet if you operate in finance or healthcare.
Offering compliant cloud services is merely table-stakes for CSPs. Security environments are constantly changing. This requires businesses to develop ongoing, constructive CSP partnerships for expertise to support scheduled audits, security breaches or emerging threats. You need to know that you can call someone for informed counsel when the stakes are high to make the right decisions for your business.
As mentioned earlier, many businesses are pushing a cloud now strategy for critical applications to achieve the end-goals. But when planning how to get there, it is important to look at how to manage the journey. Some providers offer software and infrastructure but will not manage the migration process itself. Others offer a concierge service to migrate customer data to the cloud.
Your approach depends on how much in-house resource and expertise you need to support your project. A fully managed concierge approach is likely a better bet if you are already stretched. Consultancy fees can be costly and add up if you run into issues part-way through your migration. Its better to have your migration journey mapped out and managed to avoid nasty surprises.
Aim for a multi-layered approach to data protection that safeguards data based on its value and vulnerability. Mission-critical applications need a backup plan and disaster recovery solution that includes an off-premises backup. Use a mirror site to keep this separate from your production environment. This also ensures that data is protected based on its value and associated risk.
Visibility and management are often a common barrier when migrating to the cloud. However, it is possible to achieve the same level of familiarity, visibility and control over a cloud environment similar to an on-premises infrastructure, including security, costs and performance across the full stack available for management and reporting. This is the final key to gaining the benefits of moving to the cloud.
The urgency to transition fully to the cloud is understandable. But unless you focus on getting your house in order first, you could find that your projects cant achieve your stated goals. Get one cloud (and associated operational policies) done right before you deliberately adopt multiple clouds. Its a case of more haste, less speed. Focusing on key aspects of the migration journey and looking at how your business governs cloud use, security, data protection and compliance will pay off in the long term.
iland is a global cloud service provider of secure and compliant hosting for infrastructure (IaaS), disaster recovery (DRaaS), and backup as a service (BaaS). They are recognised by industry analysts as a leader in disaster recovery. The award-winning iland Secure Cloud Console natively combines deep layered security, predictive analytics and compliance to deliver unmatched visibility and ease of management for all of ilands cloud services. Headquartered in Houston, Texas and London, UK, iland delivers cloud services from its data centres throughout the Americas, Europe, Australia and Asia.
- Palomino Inc. Completes Acquisition of GCIS Inc. to Grow Cloud Hosting and Business Application Support in Times of COVID-19 - Yahoo Finance - August 8th, 2020
- Cloud Infrastructure Services Market Research Report by Service Type, by Organization Size, by Deployment, by Vertical - Global Forecast to 2025 -... - August 8th, 2020
- Cloud Hosted vs. On-Premise vs. Self Hosted vs. Private Cloud PMS: All Platforms Have Advantages; Which is Right for You? | By Warren Dehan -... - August 8th, 2020
- Capital One to pay $80M penalty over 2019 data breach - Banking Dive - August 8th, 2020
- 16 reasons why you should move your backup to a NZ-hosted solution - IT Brief New Zealand - August 8th, 2020
- All PMS Platforms Have Advantages, But Which One is Right for Your Hotel? | - Hotel Technology News - August 8th, 2020
- Bare metal vs dedicated servers: which is the better web hosting option? - ITProPortal - August 8th, 2020
- Help For Caregivers Coming to St Cloud VA - KNSI Radio - August 8th, 2020
- [Webinar] eDiscovery In The Age of Cloud Applications: How To Collect From Slack - August 20th, 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm ET - JD Supra - August 8th, 2020
- Army transitions from Industrial Age to Information Age Fort Carson Mountaineer - fortcarsonmountaineer.com - July 25th, 2020
- Adobe Partners With Red Hat, Google Updates AI Offering and More CX News - CMSWire - July 25th, 2020
- Cloud Migration - COVID Effect - Story of Future - July 25th, 2020
- Pandemic shockwave shatters cultural barriers to cloud adoption - Daily Trust - July 25th, 2020
- How much it costs to build and host a website in South Africa - MyBroadband - July 25th, 2020
- Network Host Service Market to Grow Significantly With Increasing Advancements in Technology, Says QYR| AT&T, Google Cloud, GoDaddy - Owned - July 25th, 2020
- A CoE in IoT in Agriculture at Guwahati, Animation at Shillong and Emerging Tech-AR/VR Launched - Express Computer - July 25th, 2020
- Top 5 Things to Know in the Market on Thursday, July 23rd By .com - Up News Info - July 25th, 2020
- Cloud Hosting Service Market Size By Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies And Forecast Up To 2026 - 3rd... - July 14th, 2020
- Health Care Cloud and Hosting Market Comprehensive Survey on Demand by 2025 - Cole of Duty - July 14th, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 on Application Hosting 2020-2027 with Focusing Key players like IBM, AWS, Google, Rackspace, etc - Cole of Duty - July 14th, 2020
- Google reportedly abandoned a cloud computing product for the Chinese market - The Verge - July 14th, 2020
- Southeast Asia Web Hosting Services Market Share, 5evelopment Status and Outlook by Players To 2020-2025 | Amazon Web Services, AT & T, Google,... - July 14th, 2020
- Migrating Your Clients to an Alternative Cloud Provider is Easier than You Might Think - Channel Futures - July 14th, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market Size By Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies And Forecast Up To 2026... - July 14th, 2020
- Bullish Google looks to invest $10 billion over 7 years to digitize India - Livemint - July 14th, 2020
- Cloud Hosting Service Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 8th, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 8th, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market: 2020 Global Industry Size, Share, Uses, Benefits, Trends, Growth Application, Key Manufacturers and 2026 Demand... - July 8th, 2020
- Y Soft announces YSoft SAFEQ Cloud, a New Family of Cloud-Based Print Services - What They Think - July 8th, 2020
- Industry VoicesRaynovich: The cloud is swallowing everything - FierceTelecom - July 8th, 2020
- Mohamed Arab Joins VPLS as VP of Cloud and Managed Services - PR Web - July 8th, 2020
- Dremio Dives Deep Below the Surface for the Industry's First Cloud Data Lake Conference - Business Wire - July 8th, 2020
- Astonishing growth in Cloud Communications Platform Market anticipates to grow at $ 4.4 billion by 2021, from 2016 to 2021, with CAGR of 26.8% with... - July 8th, 2020
- MediaOps' New 'Digital Anarchist' Streaming Video Platform Delivers Expert Content on What's Next In DevOps, Cybersecurity, Cloud Native and Digital... - July 8th, 2020
- Green House Data and Zerto Fast-Track Digital Transformation with Hybrid Cloud Resilience and Portability - MyHostNews.com - July 8th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact On Cloud Hosting Service Providers Market Projection By Latest Technology, Global Analysis, Industry Growth, Current Trends And... - July 4th, 2020
- Sell-Side Technology Awards 2020: Best Cloud Provider to the Sell SideBT - www.waterstechnology.com - July 4th, 2020
- Global Cloud Hosting Service Market 2020 Analysis, Types, Applications, Forecast and COVID-19 Impact Analysis 2026 - Daily Research Chronicles - July 4th, 2020
- Green House Data and Zerto Fast-Track Digital Transformation with Hybrid Cloud Resilience - AiThority - July 4th, 2020
- Leaseweb's Five-Year Growth Exceeds Double the Market Average, Further Cementing Position as Top Player in International Cloud Hosting Market -... - July 4th, 2020
- THNQ fund from ROBO Global looks ahead to AI infrastructure growth - Robot Report - July 4th, 2020
- Bare Metal Cloud Market research, Industry Outlook, Current Trends and Forecast by 2025 - CueReport - July 4th, 2020
- Application Hosting Market | Global Industry Analysis, Segments, Top Key Players, Drivers and Trends to 2027 - Cole of Duty - July 4th, 2020
- Professional Services Automation Market Key Vendors, Analysis by Growth and Revolutionary Opportunities by 2025 - Apsters News - July 4th, 2020
- VyOS and FastNetMon Announce Integration | 2020-07-01 | Press Releases - Stockhouse - July 4th, 2020
- India bans 59 Chinese apps including TikTok and WeChat - Data Economy - July 4th, 2020
- Global Bare Metal Cloud Market with Covid-19 Effect Analysis | likewise Industry is Booming Globaly with Key Players IBM Corporation, Oracle... - July 4th, 2020
- Leaseweb's Five-Year growth Exceeds Double the Market Average, Further Cementing Position as Top Player in International Cloud Hosting Market - PR Web - June 30th, 2020
- Cloud hosting group confident on future prospects - The Business Desk - June 30th, 2020
- Connor and Scalio Announce Venture to Bring GRC and License Optimization to the Cloud - GlobeNewswire - June 30th, 2020
- What Is Cloud Computing? - World Atlas - June 30th, 2020
- Thought Machine's Vault Now Proven and Available on All Infrastructure Options: SaaS, Private or Public Cloud, Hybrid Cloud and on Premises - Business... - June 30th, 2020
- Global Application Hosting Market : Industry Analysis and forecast 2020 2027 - Morning Tick - June 30th, 2020
- Data Centers Above the Clouds: Colocation Goes to Space - Data Center Frontier - June 30th, 2020
- 'This Pandemic Has Highlighted The Importance Of Cloud System': Anand Chandra, Synechron - Express Computer - June 30th, 2020
- Southeast Asia Web Hosting Services Market 2020 Digital Learning, Growth Analysis, Industry Trends, Advanced Technologies, Services, Business Overview... - June 30th, 2020
- 4 common software maintenance models and when to use them - TechTarget - June 30th, 2020
- Applying AI and Cloud Technologies for Multivariate Control in Upstream Processes, Upcoming Webinar Hosted by Xtalks - PR Web - June 30th, 2020
- How to Host Your Own VPN with Algo and Cloud Hosting - How-To Geek - June 27th, 2020
- Web Hosting Services Market 2019 Size Overview By Industrial Application, E-Commerce Boom, Cloud Hosting, Latest Trends, New-Advancements in Internet... - June 27th, 2020
- This week in storage: Teradata in the cloud, WD Zoned SSDs and more - Blocks and Files - June 27th, 2020
- Top 10 Cloud Technology Market Exclusive insight on Transformation 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 27th, 2020
- Why you should shun unmanaged hosting and adopt managed - MOARGeek - June 27th, 2020
- E.ON selects Wipro for grid and digital transformation - Smart Energy - June 27th, 2020
- Application Hosting Market Key Players, Industry Overview, Application and Analysis to 2020-2026 - 3rd Watch News - June 27th, 2020
- Top 5 IT Certifications That Will Get You Paid in 2020 - ClearanceJobs - ClearanceJobs - June 27th, 2020
- Global personal cloud market is expected to grow with a healthy CAGR over the forecast period from 2020-2026 - Salamanca Press - June 27th, 2020
- An Introduction to Dave Antrobus, technology director of Fresh Thinking Group - Business MattersBusiness Matters - June 27th, 2020
- Uploadcare Media Pipeline for Online Business Wins at Nanjing Tech Week Competition - AsiaOne - June 27th, 2020
- JIESHUN Smart Parking and Cloud Hosting at Shenzhen Bao'an International Airport - Parking Network - June 22nd, 2020
- Cloud Computing Transforming And Revolutionising Cybersecurity In India - Inc42 Media - June 22nd, 2020
- Cloud Hosting Service Market Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Share, Growth, Statistics, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 22nd, 2020
- Global Application Hosting Market 2020 by Type, Share, Applications, Key Players, Growth, Trends and Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 22nd, 2020
- Grading and audio post in the cloud | Industry Trends | IBC - IBC365 - June 22nd, 2020
- Serverless Architecture Market 2020 Global Trend, Segmentation and Opportunities Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 22nd, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact and Recovery Analysis- Global Email Hosting Services Market 2020-2024 | Growing Adoption of the Bring-Your-Own-Device (BYOD) Policy to... - June 22nd, 2020
- Global Cloud Hosting Service Market Expected to Grow with a Significant Rate by 2024 Top Players : DreamHost, GoDaddy, HostGator, InMotion, Bluehost,... - June 22nd, 2020
- VPLS recognized on CRN's list of Top 500 Solutions Providers for second consecutive year - PR Web - June 22nd, 2020
- Security problems with the Employment Security Department should have been fixed last year - washingtonpolicy.org - June 22nd, 2020
- Global Cloud-based Database Market 2020 by Type, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast To 2030 - 3rd Watch News - June 22nd, 2020