[author: Jim Gill, Legal Technology Writer]
Not so long ago, one of the big discussions in LegalTech circles was moving to the cloud.
Back then -- Im talking the mid-teens, not ancient history -- there were a lot of concerns about moving eDiscovery data to what many thought of as a singular, nebulous unknown called the cloud.
Things have changed quite a bit in those few short years, with more eDiscovery SaaS offerings on the market, and more corporate legal teams and law firms using hosted solutions. In fact, according to the 2021 Gartner Market Guide for eDiscovery, In aggregate, the majority of eDiscovery solution deployments are delivered via hosting by a third party. However, the same report shows that 43% are still using their tried-and-true on-prem solutions. Its a battle of ideas: if its not broken, dont fix it vs. if youre only solving todays problems, youre behind.
One of the main reasons organizations cite for continuing with an on-prem deployment is the desire for more control over eDiscovery data. But this requires a full IT team, which manages hardware and software upgrades, and maintenance, while understanding the specific requirements that their legal department or law firm needs from the solution. Add that to being responsible for securing against hacks and data breaches, while maintaining the needed upgrades for handling new data sources, and youre already looking at a heavy burden.
And with the COVID-19 Pandemic and the move en masse to remote work demanding even more from IT staff, and its easy to see why there was a major shift to cloud eDiscovery this past year.
As organizations adapt to work-from-home practices, the 2021 Gartner Market Guide for E-Discovery Solutions states, infrastructure and operations leaders need new capabilities to better manage the eDiscovery of workstream collaboration products and to securely conduct e-discovery remotely.
The report continues, Buyers are willing to store sensitive, eDiscovery information off-premises to offload the management of these environments from I&O teams[and] to support remote eDiscovery as organizations shift resources to work-from-home staffing.
IT / Security
As I mentioned above, many organizations see keeping their eDiscovery on-prem as a security advantage, which isnt completely wrong. In an earlier article, I wrote about how the Air Force uses decades-old technology as a cybersecurity advantage (i.e. if it was built pre-internet, it cant be hacked.)
But the heavy-lift required of the IT department, particularly with law firms, to maintain security for an on-prem deployment is a large one, not to mention managing all software updates, patches, and other upgrades. And with law firms being targeted more and more by hackers, a shared responsibility on security might be welcomed.
There is also an increased desire for, Reducing reliance on IT and improving self-service capabilities for legal and compliance users by evaluating solutions based on ease of use and simplicity, according to Gartner, because centrally stored data is more efficient and effective to collect, process, host, review and produce ESI in a secure cloud environment.
The report goes on to say, By creating a cross-functional team of IT and legal staff to ensure that technology selection aligns with infrastructure strategy, while enhancing legal workflow processes and user experience[legal teams can] eliminate gaps and overlaps between e-discovery tools associated with multiple buying cycles.
A final consideration that arises with the on-prem vs. cloud eDiscovery debate is cost. On-prem has a large up-front cost and a lengthy implementation and training cycle, but once youre done, youre done--at least until you want to update. This may be another reason why a large number of organizations are still hanging onto their on-prem systems. Theyre paid for, people know how to use them, and the idea of switching to a new workflow is more overwhelming than just staying the course.
But as the 2021 Gartner report points out, more users continue to expect a clear, predictable and transparent pricing structure, giving rise to less-complex subscription pricing models [which] are trending to provide more-predictable, transparent structures to mitigate unexpected costs.
Subscription-based licensing options have become the most common, the report states, although they cite the many variations that may be applied to that pricing: TB processed; TB stored; or the number of matters, users or custodians (or a combination of these factors).
Besides reducing the upfront cost of eDiscovery technology by spreading it out over a pay-as-you-go subscription model, cloud-based deployments also provide the latest in Artificial Intelligence and Analytics, which can reduce the amount of Electronically Stored Information (ESI) sent to review and production through Live EDA, Active Learning, and other capabilities. They also are continually updated to provide capability for new data types, particularly for collaboration tools such as Slack and Teams, which have greatly increased since the move to a more remote workplace.
- Rebranded Ransomware Group Sabbath Hitting Hospitals and Schools - JD Supra - December 3rd, 2021
- This 10TB cloud storage is cheaper than buying a Starbucks but it ends today - TechRadar - December 3rd, 2021
- Crypto Promoter Charged With Scamming Investors Out of Millions | Chief Investment Officer - Chief Investment Officer - December 3rd, 2021
- Coevolve announces important new hires and expansion in the European market - EnterpriseTalk - December 3rd, 2021
- Top trends in tech transformation - Lexology - December 3rd, 2021
- Verint Announces Strong Third Quarter Results, Raises Guidance and Three-Year Targets - marketscreener.com - December 3rd, 2021
- Network monitoring makes the cloud Connection | Daily News - IBC365 - December 2nd, 2021
- Let's Talk About IT Ep. 23 The Transformation of the DOD in the Cloud - FedScoop - December 2nd, 2021
- Key features of the newly launched Virto Commerce Cloud - AppleMagazine - December 2nd, 2021
- Cloudbazaar 2021 Brings Together Internet Leaders To Discuss The Future Of E-commerce - Yahoo Finance - December 2nd, 2021
- gotomyerp Co-founder And CEO, Robert Eppele, Has Been Named One of the 10 Best Inspiring Leaders of the Year 2021 by CIO Bulletin - PR Web - December 2nd, 2021
- Brighton and Hove News Brighton tech business wins national award - Brighton and Hove News - December 2nd, 2021
- Qatar among the biggest adopters of cloud in region - The Peninsula - December 2nd, 2021
- Lost SEO traffic in 2021? Here are 3 potential reasons why (and how to recover your rankings heading into 2022) - Search Engine Land - December 2nd, 2021
- $3.98 for 10TB online is what the best Cyber Monday cloud storage costs and it's exclusive to TechRadar - TechRadar - December 2nd, 2021
- Explore cloud-native vs. cloud-based vs. cloud-enabled apps - TechTarget - November 28th, 2021
- Clevelands vision for Blockland has stalled. Could Northeast Ohio still be a hub for blockchain? - cleveland.com - November 28th, 2021
- gotomyerp Has Been Listed As One Of The Top 50 Best Companies Of 2021 By The CEO Views - Longview News-Journal - November 28th, 2021
- Lumberjacks honor McPhail with jersey retirement - and 15th-straight win - St. Cloud Times - November 28th, 2021
- Accenture to Drive Organon's ERP Transformation with SAP on AWS - Inside SAP Magazine - November 28th, 2021
- FlashDrive Automates The Process Of Hosting Apps for Businesses in A Revolutionary Way - Yahoo Finance - November 24th, 2021
- The cloud complexity storm & changing organizational dynamics of IT Highlights from VotE: Cloud, Hosting & Managed Services - S&P Global - November 24th, 2021
- Adobe : How to send documents and information with enhanced security - marketscreener.com - November 24th, 2021
- Axtria to Lead Several Events on the Future of Digital Transformation, Product Design, and Product Leadership Opportunities for Women at NASSCOM... - November 24th, 2021
- HEALTHCARE TRIANGLE, INC. Management's discussion and analysis of financial condition and results of operations. (form 10-Q) - marketscreener.com - November 24th, 2021
- Great Tips For Web Optimization That Can Also Help In Mobile Application Development - WhaTech - WhaTech - November 24th, 2021
- Udacity to host international STEM Forward with Women conference featuring industry leaders from Microsoft, Saudi Telecom, HSBC, Sky, KPMG & more... - November 24th, 2021
- How to Preserve and Share Grandma's Recipes - WIRED - November 24th, 2021
- Google Cloud partially fixes load balancer SNAFU that hit Discord, Spotify, others today - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- TI will splash out up to $30B on wafer fabs - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- Intel audio drivers give Windows 11 the blues and Microsoft Installer borked following security update - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- Ubuntu desktop team teases 'proof of concept' systemd on Windows Subsystem for Linux - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- Netlify acquires OneGraph: One API to rule them all? - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- Boffins find way to use a standard smartphone to find hidden spy cams - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- Thousands of Firefox users accidentally commit login cookies on GitHub - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- America, when you're done hitting us with the ban hammer, see these on-prem Zoom vulns, says Positive - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- VMware pulls vSphere update that only made things worse - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- Everything but the catch: '90s pop act or a successful mission for Rocket Lab? - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- Ready, player anyone? China's gaming ban left cloud providers looking for someone to play with - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- Riverbed Technologies files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection following pandemic 'headwinds' - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- AWS adds Linux app streaming alongside Windows to 'greatly lower' cost - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- Korea gives Google and Apple another kick for requiring their own payment systems - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- Citrix initiates 'Restructuring Program' jobs and facilities to go - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- MediaTek's flagship 5G chip for top-of-the-line Android smartphones is coming right up - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- Is mass cloud adoption going to last forever, or is it just a phase? - ITProPortal - November 20th, 2021
- 'We are not people to Mark Zuckerberg, we are the product' rages Ohio's Attorney General in Facebook lawsuit - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- The Rust Foundation gets ready to Rumbul (we're sure new CEO has never, ever heard that joke before) - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- Sage Sessions X3 kicks off in Orlando with focus on empowering customers and partners to thrive - Yahoo Finance - November 15th, 2021
- Telenor taps Google Clouds AI and analytics expertise to target a bigger slice of the digital transformation market - TelecomTV - November 15th, 2021
- New Apprenticeship Hosting Webinar As Part of National Apprenticeship Week To Help Address Tech Talent Gap - Yahoo Finance - November 15th, 2021
- Cybersecurity and OWASP in an Increasingly Digital World - tripwire.com - November 15th, 2021
- Successful CEO Guru Releases New Spin on Business Leadership and Audios of His Entrepreneur How-To Guide and Savvy Disruptive Tech Prediction Books -... - November 15th, 2021
- Domopalooza Returns to Salt Lake City Focusing on Future of Business and Data - Business Wire - November 15th, 2021
- During this pre-Black Friday sale, get an additional 15% off domain names and lifetime web hosting deals - ZDNet - November 8th, 2021
- Valeo Networks Acquires On Time Tech, Further Accelerating National Growth Strategy - PRNewswire - November 8th, 2021
- Huobi is migrating its spot trading business from Seychelles to Gibraltar - The Block Crypto - November 8th, 2021
- Outlook on the Cloud Hosting Service Market to 2026 by Application, End-user and Geography - Northwest Diamond Notes - November 8th, 2021
- Overview of the Different Types of Web Hosting - E/The Environmental Magazine - November 8th, 2021
- Microsoft bags major win over Amazon in cloud battle - TechRadar - November 8th, 2021
- 6 web hosting and domain deals on sale - Mashable - November 8th, 2021
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market to Witness Rapid Growth by 2028 | Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft, Tata Communications The Host - The Host - November 8th, 2021
- QuestDB snares $12M Series A with hosted version coming soon - TechCrunch - November 8th, 2021
- Using Open-Source Intelligence for Mergers and Acquisitions - Security Intelligence - November 8th, 2021
- Huawei might have to sell its server division following US sanctions - TechRadar - November 8th, 2021
- Bitdeer Group Showcases Diversity With New Filecoin Mining Option Press release Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - November 8th, 2021
- Forget Windows 11 hardware requirements, Windows 365 is here to save the day - TechRadar - November 8th, 2021
- Teledata and Sudlows win New Design/Build Data Centre Project of the Year at Prestigious DCS Awards - Business Manchester - November 8th, 2021
- Linda Visnick: Observing the Business World with an Innovative Eye - Analytics Insight - November 8th, 2021
- Southeast Asia Web Hosting Services Market 2021 Size Strong Revenue and Competitive Outlook : Amazon Web Services, AT & T, Google, GoDaddy,... - November 8th, 2021
- Cloud computing in the public sector: a distant dream or the near future? - ComputerWeekly.com - November 1st, 2021
- NSA, CISA Weigh in on Shared Responsibility for Cloud Security in the 5G Era - Nextgov - November 1st, 2021
- "wasmCloud allows us to rethink the cloud as just a stop on the way" - JAXenter - November 1st, 2021
- Why should organizations look towards the power of hybrid cloud? - ITProPortal - November 1st, 2021
- How To Choose The Best Website Hosting Platform 2021? Film Daily - Film Daily - November 1st, 2021
- Firstsource Selects NICE WFM Cloud to Unlock the Power of Digital Transformation - Business Wire - November 1st, 2021
- Bare Metal Cloud Service Market Overview and Forecast Report 2021-2026 | Amazon Web Services, Bigstep, Dell Technologies, IBM, CenturyLink, Oracle,... - November 1st, 2021
- The Rise of BGP Hijacking and Why You Need a Response Plan Immediately - Entrepreneur - November 1st, 2021
- Debunking SASE myths: How it has helped productivity - TechRadar - November 1st, 2021
- COVIDSafe total cost was AU$9.2 million to October 4 with AU$2.8 million on hosting - ZDNet - November 1st, 2021
- IT Infrastructure Services Market Is Booming Worldwide | HCL, IBM, Verizon Communications Inc., Accenture, HPE and more The Host - The Host - November 1st, 2021