Hyderabad: When we moved to Hyderabad in 2005, a social phenomenon which gobsmacked us first-timers was the haleem frenzy which gripped the City of Nizams during the Ramzan season. Come evening, for the entire month, every F&B establishment, starting from the mighty five-starred ones and middling standalones, spiffy and otherwise, to the small makeshift umbrella kiosks (sprouting up not only in and around Charminar, but also in tony localities like Banjara and Jubilee Hills), would dish out this thick, slightly viscous, porridge made of mashed goat meat, lentils and wheat, cooked in ghee and spices and topped with fried mint leaves, onions, a couple of cashews and a wedge of lemon to be squeezed, according to taste.
This calorific delight would then be lapped up by the thronging (and hungry) hundreds waiting in queue from the time Iftar prayers were scheduled. In congested areas like Charminar and Mehdipatnam, there would also be car deliveries by young boys employed by food stalls. This was also the only time of the year when haleem took centre stage, with its more popular cousin biryani taking a backseat, and restaurateurs focussed on making haleem the star dish for a month of profit-making.
This year, however, COVID 19- has played spoilsport to the festive Ramzan spirit, and the gloom is palpable. The lockdown has ensured that there will be no traditional festivities in and around Charminar or anywhere, for that matter, as there can be no Ramzan celebration with social distancing norms.
Mohammed Abdul Majeed, owner of Pista House and president of the Hyderabad Haleem Makers Association announced at an online press briefing, We, as in, all 6,000 commercial haleem makers in and around Hyderabad had to take this painful decision of deciding not to sell haleem this year in a bid to cooperate with government guidelines as there are three levels of hygiene and safety we have to safeguard, that of our customers, staffers and owners. Social distancing is impossible to achieve during Ramzan and we just cannot take the risk, with so many people involved.
Majeedbhai, who lobbied for the GI tag for Hyderabadi Haleem which was accorded in 2010, might sound politically correct but considering that he had to forego an extremely lucrative season Pista House is the single largest seller of haleem and did business of about Rs 10 crore last Ramzan this is a reflection of the extraordinary times we are living in.
Ramzan is a source of income and livelihood for many, especially the young and needy, like some students who come from neighbouring rural areas to study In Hyderabad. Besides some decent earnings (commission-based, according to number of haleem boxes sold in various parts of the city), it is good business model training for the young commerce students who used to gain useful work experience. While every year, we do zakat (charity), this year I am focussing on that aspect to the best of my abilities, so whatever cooking is being done is being used for my staffers meals as well as for distribution to the needy and also to patients families outside hospitals, adds Majeed.
Says young politican and educationist Aamer Javeed, whose iftar parties are the toast of the season, Undoubtedly, I am missing the Ramzan gatherings and the grand iftar dinners hosted with the kind of hospitality that elite Hyderabadi homes are so used to putting up. But quite frankly, while Ramzan of late has become more about its visible aspects of iftar parties, glittering night markets, melas and cultural shows, the true spirit of the season is about self-introspection and zakat or charity work, paying back society by looking after the most needy. I am quite heartened to see Muslim restaurateurs coming together in Hyderabad to display abundant generosity and look after the hungry and homeless. It took us a lockdown to realise that!
The way life used to be, during Ramzan in the past. Photo: Special Arrangement
For home chef-baker and recipe developer Samyra Ruheen, It is not just haleem or the food, Ramzan shopping in Charminar is an annual ritual for us Hyderabadis. Besides the iftar feasts which are generously spread out in Charminar till the wee hours of the morning, there is wedding apparel and jewellery too, as thats the time when retailers stock up on their best supplies. I will be missing the shopping and festivities badly this year.
However, like they say, if The Mountain will not come to Muhammad, then Muhammad must go to the mountain. While the big players stay closed for operations, the market is largely left to home chefs and cloud kitchens to cater to haleem-starved Hyderabadis.
For instance, Arijit Yadav, techie turned foodpreneur, who runs his cloud kitchen from a 400 square yards space in High-Tech City has haleem operations firmly in place, after his friends started demanding that he start making haleem instead of the North Indian fare that his flagship brand, Dilli 6, is known for.
Since he already had a Hyderabadi chef on his rolls, from the Old City, who has worked in bigger food establishments, making haleem, as well as the huge haleem cauldrons, (which, while traditionally fired by wood, are in this case placed on gas) and cooked on a slow fire, for a few hours and the stew is beaten around with long wooden sticks by at least two persons.
There are no delivery partners like Swiggy, Zomato or Dunzo (which is only being used for essentials) operating in Hyderabad at the moment, so I am personally delivering in most cases, respecting curfew timings and the 3 km radius. Where policing becomes an issue, my clients have no problems reaching a mid-way destination as they want haleem, at any cost, shares Arijit, who has sold close to a hundred kilos of mutton haleem and a little lesser quantities of biryani. Food costs are also up, so we are left with no option other than pricing the haleem a little upwards, thanks to infrastructural constraints, such as delivery costs and the inconveniences involved, he adds. Despite that, he is selling 40-45 kgs of mutton haleem daily.
Similar with home chefs like Khatija Seema of Our Food Factory, which is known for its Hyderabadi delicacies like biryani, haleem, double ka meetha and sheer khorma. Her techie son Mujtaba Irfan, who helps out with operations says, We are getting quite a few haleem orders this year, compared with previous years, though we never focussed on haleem during Ramzan in earlier years, being a smaller unit and not really being in competition with big haleem makers.
Star hotels like The Park Hyderabad are also scaling down the prices for their cloud kitchen deliveries, of mutton, chicken and jackfruit haleem. The latter is modelled on the mock meat concept with the jackfruit strands resembling meat in appearance and texture, elaborates executive chef Thimma Reddy. He is, of course, missing hosting and curating the Ramzan walk in and around Charminar which has been an annual occurrence since the last seven years.
But this year that will have to wait, as will the huge quantities of haleem, which ironically enough, means patience.
Swati Sucharita is a Hyderabad-based journalist
- Cloud Hosting Service Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 8th, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 8th, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market: 2020 Global Industry Size, Share, Uses, Benefits, Trends, Growth Application, Key Manufacturers and 2026 Demand... - July 8th, 2020
- Y Soft announces YSoft SAFEQ Cloud, a New Family of Cloud-Based Print Services - What They Think - July 8th, 2020
- Industry VoicesRaynovich: The cloud is swallowing everything - FierceTelecom - July 8th, 2020
- Mohamed Arab Joins VPLS as VP of Cloud and Managed Services - PR Web - July 8th, 2020
- Dremio Dives Deep Below the Surface for the Industry's First Cloud Data Lake Conference - Business Wire - July 8th, 2020
- Astonishing growth in Cloud Communications Platform Market anticipates to grow at $ 4.4 billion by 2021, from 2016 to 2021, with CAGR of 26.8% with... - July 8th, 2020
- MediaOps' New 'Digital Anarchist' Streaming Video Platform Delivers Expert Content on What's Next In DevOps, Cybersecurity, Cloud Native and Digital... - July 8th, 2020
- Green House Data and Zerto Fast-Track Digital Transformation with Hybrid Cloud Resilience and Portability - MyHostNews.com - July 8th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact On Cloud Hosting Service Providers Market Projection By Latest Technology, Global Analysis, Industry Growth, Current Trends And... - July 4th, 2020
- Sell-Side Technology Awards 2020: Best Cloud Provider to the Sell SideBT - www.waterstechnology.com - July 4th, 2020
- Global Cloud Hosting Service Market 2020 Analysis, Types, Applications, Forecast and COVID-19 Impact Analysis 2026 - Daily Research Chronicles - July 4th, 2020
- Green House Data and Zerto Fast-Track Digital Transformation with Hybrid Cloud Resilience - AiThority - July 4th, 2020
- Leaseweb's Five-Year Growth Exceeds Double the Market Average, Further Cementing Position as Top Player in International Cloud Hosting Market -... - July 4th, 2020
- THNQ fund from ROBO Global looks ahead to AI infrastructure growth - Robot Report - July 4th, 2020
- Bare Metal Cloud Market research, Industry Outlook, Current Trends and Forecast by 2025 - CueReport - July 4th, 2020
- Application Hosting Market | Global Industry Analysis, Segments, Top Key Players, Drivers and Trends to 2027 - Cole of Duty - July 4th, 2020
- Professional Services Automation Market Key Vendors, Analysis by Growth and Revolutionary Opportunities by 2025 - Apsters News - July 4th, 2020
- VyOS and FastNetMon Announce Integration | 2020-07-01 | Press Releases - Stockhouse - July 4th, 2020
- India bans 59 Chinese apps including TikTok and WeChat - Data Economy - July 4th, 2020
- Global Bare Metal Cloud Market with Covid-19 Effect Analysis | likewise Industry is Booming Globaly with Key Players IBM Corporation, Oracle... - July 4th, 2020
- Leaseweb's Five-Year growth Exceeds Double the Market Average, Further Cementing Position as Top Player in International Cloud Hosting Market - PR Web - June 30th, 2020
- Cloud hosting group confident on future prospects - The Business Desk - June 30th, 2020
- Connor and Scalio Announce Venture to Bring GRC and License Optimization to the Cloud - GlobeNewswire - June 30th, 2020
- What Is Cloud Computing? - World Atlas - June 30th, 2020
- Thought Machine's Vault Now Proven and Available on All Infrastructure Options: SaaS, Private or Public Cloud, Hybrid Cloud and on Premises - Business... - June 30th, 2020
- Global Application Hosting Market : Industry Analysis and forecast 2020 2027 - Morning Tick - June 30th, 2020
- Data Centers Above the Clouds: Colocation Goes to Space - Data Center Frontier - June 30th, 2020
- 'This Pandemic Has Highlighted The Importance Of Cloud System': Anand Chandra, Synechron - Express Computer - June 30th, 2020
- Southeast Asia Web Hosting Services Market 2020 Digital Learning, Growth Analysis, Industry Trends, Advanced Technologies, Services, Business Overview... - June 30th, 2020
- 4 common software maintenance models and when to use them - TechTarget - June 30th, 2020
- Applying AI and Cloud Technologies for Multivariate Control in Upstream Processes, Upcoming Webinar Hosted by Xtalks - PR Web - June 30th, 2020
- How to Host Your Own VPN with Algo and Cloud Hosting - How-To Geek - June 27th, 2020
- Web Hosting Services Market 2019 Size Overview By Industrial Application, E-Commerce Boom, Cloud Hosting, Latest Trends, New-Advancements in Internet... - June 27th, 2020
- This week in storage: Teradata in the cloud, WD Zoned SSDs and more - Blocks and Files - June 27th, 2020
- Top 10 Cloud Technology Market Exclusive insight on Transformation 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 27th, 2020
- Why you should shun unmanaged hosting and adopt managed - MOARGeek - June 27th, 2020
- E.ON selects Wipro for grid and digital transformation - Smart Energy - June 27th, 2020
- Application Hosting Market Key Players, Industry Overview, Application and Analysis to 2020-2026 - 3rd Watch News - June 27th, 2020
- Top 5 IT Certifications That Will Get You Paid in 2020 - ClearanceJobs - ClearanceJobs - June 27th, 2020
- Global personal cloud market is expected to grow with a healthy CAGR over the forecast period from 2020-2026 - Salamanca Press - June 27th, 2020
- An Introduction to Dave Antrobus, technology director of Fresh Thinking Group - Business MattersBusiness Matters - June 27th, 2020
- Uploadcare Media Pipeline for Online Business Wins at Nanjing Tech Week Competition - AsiaOne - June 27th, 2020
- JIESHUN Smart Parking and Cloud Hosting at Shenzhen Bao'an International Airport - Parking Network - June 22nd, 2020
- Cloud Computing Transforming And Revolutionising Cybersecurity In India - Inc42 Media - June 22nd, 2020
- Cloud Hosting Service Market Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Share, Growth, Statistics, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 22nd, 2020
- Global Application Hosting Market 2020 by Type, Share, Applications, Key Players, Growth, Trends and Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 22nd, 2020
- Grading and audio post in the cloud | Industry Trends | IBC - IBC365 - June 22nd, 2020
- Serverless Architecture Market 2020 Global Trend, Segmentation and Opportunities Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 22nd, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact and Recovery Analysis- Global Email Hosting Services Market 2020-2024 | Growing Adoption of the Bring-Your-Own-Device (BYOD) Policy to... - June 22nd, 2020
- Global Cloud Hosting Service Market Expected to Grow with a Significant Rate by 2024 Top Players : DreamHost, GoDaddy, HostGator, InMotion, Bluehost,... - June 22nd, 2020
- VPLS recognized on CRN's list of Top 500 Solutions Providers for second consecutive year - PR Web - June 22nd, 2020
- Security problems with the Employment Security Department should have been fixed last year - washingtonpolicy.org - June 22nd, 2020
- Global Cloud-based Database Market 2020 by Type, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast To 2030 - 3rd Watch News - June 22nd, 2020
- Headliners, part I: 32 upcoming events & program deadlines in the Triangle - WRAL Tech Wire - June 22nd, 2020
- Global Network Host Service Market with Coronavirus (COVID-19) Impact Analysis | likewise Industry is Booming Globaly with Top Key Players | AT&T,... - June 22nd, 2020
- Behind the scenes of Israel's Global Data Center - Data Economy - June 22nd, 2020
- Tax small taxpayers but let the giants go? We can do better. - The Daily Star - June 22nd, 2020
- Global Data Center Outsourcing and Hybrid Infrastructure Managed Services Market Projected to Reach USD XX.XX billion by 2025- IBM, Wipro, Tata... - June 22nd, 2020
- Railway Management System Market to Eyewitness Massive Growth by 2028: Leading Key Players ABB, Alstom, Ansaldo, Bombardier Transportation, GE... - June 22nd, 2020
- All you need to know about cloud hosting - Business MattersBusiness Matters - June 9th, 2020
- Cloud Hosting Service Market 2019 Break Down by Top Companies, Countries, Applications, Challenges, Opportunities and Forecast 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 9th, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market Set to Take Giant Positive Leap - Cole of Duty - June 9th, 2020
- Online Accounting Went Virtual on Short Notice | Online Accounting Jobs - NEC News & Events - June 9th, 2020
- Global Trade Impact of the Coronavirus on Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market Reviewed in a New Study - 3rd Watch News - June 9th, 2020
- AGL announces huge shift to the Cloud - Which-50 - June 9th, 2020
- Moodle welcomes Adapt IT as a Certified Moodle Partner and strengthens presence across the Pan African market. - Moodle - June 9th, 2020
- Health Care Cloud and Hosting Market 2019 Break Down by Top Companies, Countries, Applications, Challenges, Opportunities and Forecast 2026 - Cole of... - June 9th, 2020
- UK signs cloud discount deal with Google to boost innovation - www.computing.co.uk - June 9th, 2020
- Data Breach Notification Software Market 2019 Break Down by Top Companies, Countries, Applications, Challenges, Opportunities and Forecast 2026 - Cole... - June 9th, 2020
- Triangle headliners: Previewing 71 local events & program deadlines this month - WRAL Tech Wire - June 9th, 2020
- Sysdig Continues International Expansion with New Data Center Options in the US and Europe - Business Wire - June 9th, 2020
- Heating Coil For Heat Treatment Market 2019 Break Down by Top Companies, Countries, Applications, Challenges, Opportunities and Forecast 2026 - Cole... - June 9th, 2020
- 3 Buffett Stocks That Are Trouncing Berkshire Hathaway So Far This Year - The Motley Fool - May 31st, 2020
- Health Care Cloud and Hosting Market 2020 | by Manufacturers | by Countries | by Types and by Applications | by Forecasts to 2026 - 3rd Watch News - May 31st, 2020
- Global Cloud Based Database Market Slated to Bring in US$ XX Billion by End of 2026 - 3rd Watch News - May 31st, 2020
- Cloud Hosting Service Market Research Report 2020: Key Players, Applications, Drivers, Trends and Forecast to 2026 - News Distinct - May 30th, 2020
- Are We Overthinking Application Lifecycle Automation? - No Jitter - May 30th, 2020
- Wharfedale Offers No Upfront Costs and 180 days of Deferred Payment - AiThority - May 30th, 2020