SAUK RAPIDS A 15th-straight win for the Granite City Lumberjacks on Wednesday night was fitting, as the Jacks retired the No. 15 jersey of Ezra McPhail.
McPhail suffered a spinal cord injury while play for the Jacks in December2011. He wasgoing for a check when the opponent ducked, sending McPhail head-firstinto the boards. He started in a wheelchair but now uses arm crutches to move around.
Head coach Brad Willner said McPhail continues to be active playing sled hockey and mono skiing, also being a role model for others that have been injured.
"Ever since Ezra's accident happened, no Lumberjack has worn 15,"Karl Kise, director of public and media relations, announcedWednesday night. "After this evening, it will never be worn again."
A packed crowd of 1,256 fans, including Lumberjacks alumni and McPhail's family, watched as Ezra'sbanner was unfurled in front of the current Lumberjacks team during the first intermission in an emotional scene.
Kise also detailed the incredible run for the Lumberjacks in the 2011-12 playoffs, with McPhail rejoining the team from the sidelines as they became the 2011-12 NA3HL Silver Cup Champions.
"The look on his face, the look in his eyes knowing his team came through for him ... I still get chills thinking about it," Kise said. "Everything he went through that entire year, he overcame it all. He's one of the strongest people I've ever known."
The Lumberjacks honored McPhail's special night with a dominant winover the New Ulm Steel, usingthree quickgoals from Zak Kennett, Kullan Daikawa, and Bjorn Jorgenson in a three-minute span to givethe Lumberjacks a 3-0 lead heading into the first intermission. A total of sixdifferent Lumberjacks players scored goals in the 7-1 victory.
Daikawa had two goals and leads the Jacks with 28 points this year on 11 goals and 17 assists, while St. Cloud alum Nick Richert is second with eight goals and 16 assists for 24 points. Richert had a goal and assist against New Ulm on Wednesday, and he's scored at least one point in all four wins over the Steel this year.
The Lumberjacks have dominated the Steel in their four meetings, outscoring them 25-5. The shots advantage was a ridiculous 44-7 on Wednesday and 15-0 in the third period. New Ulm is now5-16 overall this year.
Matthew Smith picked up the win in goal for Granite City, who has been nearly unstoppable this season. He's made eight appearances in the last two months with a perfect 8-0 record and three shutouts, averaging only one goal against and saving 94 percent of shots.
The Lumberjacks are now 19-1 overall, with their only loss this season coming to the Mason City Toros on Oct. 1. They are comfortably in first place in the NA3HL West division afteroutscoring opponents 107-29 this season.
Granite City is back at home on Saturday night, hosting the Alexandria Blizzard at 7:30 p.m.
Zach Dwyeris a sports reporter and photographer for the St. Cloud Times. Reach him at 320-406-5660 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @sctimeszach.
Support local journalism. Subscribe to sctimes.com today.
Read more from the original source:
Lumberjacks honor McPhail with jersey retirement - and 15th-straight win - St. Cloud Times
- The essential role of AI in cloud technology - Techradar - January 16th, 2022
- What to consider when selecting an IaaS provider - TechTarget - January 16th, 2022
- Top 8 trends for the security industry in 2022 - IndianWeb2.com - January 16th, 2022
- ColoHouse Acquires Steadfast - A Cloud, Bare Metal and Data Center Provider in the Midwest - Business Wire - January 16th, 2022
- Integration of the Blockchain is a Game Changer in the Cloud Computing Sector - FX Empire - January 16th, 2022
- Health Care Cloud and Hosting Market to Witness Revolutionary Growth by 2027 | Visualutions, Netgain Technology, Netsmart Technologies - Digital... - January 16th, 2022
- How to reduce the cost of Kubernetes - TechTarget - January 16th, 2022
- SmartAxiom Inc Receives Patent on Running Blockchain Distributed Ledgers on IoT Devices to Manage and Secure Them - Business Wire - January 16th, 2022
- Insights on the Private Cloud Server Global Market to 2027 - by Hosting Type, Organization Size, Vertical and Region - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - January 16th, 2022
- Clouds move in Thursday | For The Record | bgdailynews.com - Bowling Green Daily News - January 16th, 2022
- This superfast USB tape drive could make cloud backup a thing of the past for you - TechRadar - January 16th, 2022
- Increase cloud visibility with these 4 best practices - TechTarget - December 22nd, 2021
- CI/CD platforms: How to choose the right continuous integration and delivery system for your business - TechRepublic - December 22nd, 2021
- Return of the JEDI cloud lobbying wars - Politico - December 22nd, 2021
- New submarine cable will blast data between Japan and Europe through Arctic waters - TechRadar - December 22nd, 2021
- 3DS OUTSCALE, French leader guaranteeing fully-trusted Cloud around the world - Yahoo Finance - December 22nd, 2021
- Fraud Detection and Prevention Market worth $53.4 billion by 2026 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets - PRNewswire - December 22nd, 2021
- AMERICANS SPENT OVER $8.7 BILLION ON AESTHETIC PLASTIC SURGERY IN THE FIRST 6 MONTHS of 2021 - KPVI News 6 - December 22nd, 2021
- Atmospheres of Small Planets Through a Big Telescope - Astrobites - December 22nd, 2021
- LAYOUTindex recognized at the FITIS Digital Excellence Awards 2021 - Colombo Gazette - December 22nd, 2021
- COVID-19 cases and deaths in the Americas triple in 2021 - Modern Diplomacy - December 22nd, 2021
- Harnessing the 11.11 Global Shopping Festival as a launchpad for Alibaba's green technology - iTWire - December 22nd, 2021
- Omicron: School closures must be avoided whenever possible - Modern Diplomacy - December 22nd, 2021
- Top 10 government and public sector IT stories of 2021 - ComputerWeekly.com - December 22nd, 2021
- Just in time for Christmas, Kronos payroll and HR cloud software goes offline due to ransomware - TechRepublic - December 18th, 2021
- Feedback expands its cloud-based tuberculosis programme in rural India - Digital Health - December 18th, 2021
- How to install Nextcloud Hub II with Nextcloud Office - TechRepublic - December 18th, 2021
- Report: IT infrastructure expected to remain stable for next few years - VentureBeat - December 18th, 2021
- Samsara IPO: 5 things about the cloud-based operations company - MarketWatch - December 18th, 2021
- The best cloud and IT Ops conferences of 2022 - TechBeacon - December 18th, 2021
- Data Cloud and Data Science Academy to Unlock New Wave of Industrial Innovation Metrology and Quality News - Online Magazine - "metrology... - December 18th, 2021
- From the Holiday Gala to Rockin' the Cloud! - Osceola News-Gazette - December 18th, 2021
- Finland data center market size will witness investments of USD 800 million by 2026 - Yahoo Finance - December 18th, 2021
- You no longer need fancy new hardware to run Windows 11 - here's why - Techradar - December 18th, 2021
- Navigate Your Holiday Parties in a Cloud of Cannabis - Willamette Week - December 18th, 2021
- SUPERNAP Thailand partners with Thai government agencies for leading Tier IV upgrades - DataCenterNews Asia - December 18th, 2021
- This 10TB cloud storage is cheaper than buying a Starbucks but it ends today - TechRadar - December 3rd, 2021
- Crypto Promoter Charged With Scamming Investors Out of Millions | Chief Investment Officer - Chief Investment Officer - December 3rd, 2021
- Coevolve announces important new hires and expansion in the European market - EnterpriseTalk - December 3rd, 2021
- Top trends in tech transformation - Lexology - December 3rd, 2021
- Verint Announces Strong Third Quarter Results, Raises Guidance and Three-Year Targets - marketscreener.com - December 3rd, 2021
- Network monitoring makes the cloud Connection | Daily News - IBC365 - December 2nd, 2021
- Let's Talk About IT Ep. 23 The Transformation of the DOD in the Cloud - FedScoop - December 2nd, 2021
- Key features of the newly launched Virto Commerce Cloud - AppleMagazine - December 2nd, 2021
- Cloudbazaar 2021 Brings Together Internet Leaders To Discuss The Future Of E-commerce - Yahoo Finance - December 2nd, 2021
- gotomyerp Co-founder And CEO, Robert Eppele, Has Been Named One of the 10 Best Inspiring Leaders of the Year 2021 by CIO Bulletin - PR Web - December 2nd, 2021
- Brighton and Hove News Brighton tech business wins national award - Brighton and Hove News - December 2nd, 2021
- Qatar among the biggest adopters of cloud in region - The Peninsula - December 2nd, 2021
- Lost SEO traffic in 2021? Here are 3 potential reasons why (and how to recover your rankings heading into 2022) - Search Engine Land - December 2nd, 2021
- $3.98 for 10TB online is what the best Cyber Monday cloud storage costs and it's exclusive to TechRadar - TechRadar - December 2nd, 2021
- Explore cloud-native vs. cloud-based vs. cloud-enabled apps - TechTarget - November 28th, 2021
- Clevelands vision for Blockland has stalled. Could Northeast Ohio still be a hub for blockchain? - cleveland.com - November 28th, 2021
- gotomyerp Has Been Listed As One Of The Top 50 Best Companies Of 2021 By The CEO Views - Longview News-Journal - November 28th, 2021
- Accenture to Drive Organon's ERP Transformation with SAP on AWS - Inside SAP Magazine - November 28th, 2021
- FlashDrive Automates The Process Of Hosting Apps for Businesses in A Revolutionary Way - Yahoo Finance - November 24th, 2021
- The cloud complexity storm & changing organizational dynamics of IT Highlights from VotE: Cloud, Hosting & Managed Services - S&P Global - November 24th, 2021
- Adobe : How to send documents and information with enhanced security - marketscreener.com - November 24th, 2021
- Axtria to Lead Several Events on the Future of Digital Transformation, Product Design, and Product Leadership Opportunities for Women at NASSCOM... - November 24th, 2021
- HEALTHCARE TRIANGLE, INC. Management's discussion and analysis of financial condition and results of operations. (form 10-Q) - marketscreener.com - November 24th, 2021
- Great Tips For Web Optimization That Can Also Help In Mobile Application Development - WhaTech - WhaTech - November 24th, 2021
- Udacity to host international STEM Forward with Women conference featuring industry leaders from Microsoft, Saudi Telecom, HSBC, Sky, KPMG & more... - November 24th, 2021
- How to Preserve and Share Grandma's Recipes - WIRED - November 24th, 2021
- Google Cloud partially fixes load balancer SNAFU that hit Discord, Spotify, others today - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- TI will splash out up to $30B on wafer fabs - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- Intel audio drivers give Windows 11 the blues and Microsoft Installer borked following security update - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- Ubuntu desktop team teases 'proof of concept' systemd on Windows Subsystem for Linux - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- Netlify acquires OneGraph: One API to rule them all? - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- Boffins find way to use a standard smartphone to find hidden spy cams - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- Thousands of Firefox users accidentally commit login cookies on GitHub - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- America, when you're done hitting us with the ban hammer, see these on-prem Zoom vulns, says Positive - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- VMware pulls vSphere update that only made things worse - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- Everything but the catch: '90s pop act or a successful mission for Rocket Lab? - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- Ready, player anyone? China's gaming ban left cloud providers looking for someone to play with - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- Riverbed Technologies files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection following pandemic 'headwinds' - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- AWS adds Linux app streaming alongside Windows to 'greatly lower' cost - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- Korea gives Google and Apple another kick for requiring their own payment systems - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- Citrix initiates 'Restructuring Program' jobs and facilities to go - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- MediaTek's flagship 5G chip for top-of-the-line Android smartphones is coming right up - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- Is mass cloud adoption going to last forever, or is it just a phase? - ITProPortal - November 20th, 2021
- 'We are not people to Mark Zuckerberg, we are the product' rages Ohio's Attorney General in Facebook lawsuit - The Register - November 20th, 2021