Remote workplaces are forcing critical services to the cloud with optimized production and lowered costs.
Image: cofotoisme, Getty Images/iStockphoto
There's no denying the cloud's impact on information services. In a short amount of time, cloud-based services have effectively evolved from copious amounts of storage space to hosting applications to serving as the backbone of an organization's network and security infrastructuresor all of the above.
SEE: Top cloud providers in 2020: AWS, Microsoft Azure, and Google Cloud, hybrid, SaaS players (TechRepublic Premium)
The use of cloud-based services is growing by leaps and bounds, according to a Gartner forecast that sees the public cloud market growing overall by 17% in 2020. Software as a Service (SaaS), which has seen the highest gains in the past, is set to be dethroned by Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), forecasted at a year-over-year growth of 24%--"The highest growth rate across all market segments," Gartner said.
That should not come as a surprise, since the mobile nature of work has made it so that traditional data centers simply cannot keep up with demand from users, who have an average of 6.58 network connected devices each, according to Statistica.
Due to the increased costs associated with procuring and managing more equipment, IT staff, training, expensive support contracts for software and hardware, higher-density networking equipment and bandwidth, many organizations find it cost effective to off-load the maintenance of their core services to managed services in the cloud, which include monitoring, security, and disaster recovery.
Below are my predictions of the services that will make the largest leap to the cloud in 2020--with no looking back.
SEE:Special feature: Managing the multicloud (free PDF)(TechRepublic)
Segment: IaaSNo matter your enterprise's platform of choice, directory services are the crux of centralized user and device management. The large market share for Microsoft's Active Directory has migrated to the cloud under the Azure umbrella. Microsoft added to it an increasingly easy-to-use, scalable, and remarkable web-based solution that provides cloud-based connectivity for domain authentication of devices and does not require traditional "line-of-sight" to the domain controller. In fact, due to its cloud-based nature, users can theoretically authenticate across any network worldwide, freeing them to work remotely without the need to cache credentials but still be able to access shares over their wireless connections.
Azure Active Directory, unfortunately, does not support a security mainstay, such as Group Policy just yet. However, the inclusion of Intune, Microsoft's MDM software, can (and should) be used to manage security on Azure-connected devices to ensure they are hardenedand remain securedthrough the use of remote policies that enforce device management through any network connection.
MDM/UEM applications run just as well on a physical server as they do compared with a virtual machine (VM) instance. Many of the applications offer a version that may be managed on-premise that is identical to the cloud-based version, so why pay someone else to manage what our organization can do itself? The answers are simple: Scalability, security, and less administrative overhead.
SEE:How to choose the best MDM partner: 5 key considerations(TechRepublic)
Almost all MDMs have migrated to cloud-based offerings, with few keeping their on-premise solutions available. The per-device price point between device management and the administrative side to rolling out your own MDM has been shown to increase exponentially as the number of manageable devices increases past a certain pointusually the limits of your infrastructure. At that point, new equipment, software licenses, and bandwidth resources must be provisioned to prevent loss of service to the devices.
Judging by the number of business emails sent and received each day in 2019, 293.6 billion, Statistica saidwe can see why managing email is more than a full-time job for any administrator.
That's before adding the increased threat exposure and hardware costs associated with self-hosted email services. Securing servers, connections, and clients covers only the transmission aspect of email. There are still access considerations, and the biggest points of contention: Spam and phishing-related messages that will almost certainly find their way to a user willing to provide his bank account number to aid an ousted prince.
SEE:Top five on-premises cloud storage options (free PDF)(TechRepublic)
ERP, the business backend that integrates hardware and software resources used to manage and automate functions relating to human resources, technology, and services, is a beast of a system that typically involves many man-hours to put together, then countless more to maintain. After all, it drives a large portion of an enterprise's core functions and can be used by just about anyone in the organization to handle many tasks. These systems are large and complex, usually requiring dedicated staff and support contracts to keep ERP operating smoothly.
SEE:Top 10 ERP vendors in 2020(TechRepublic)
Imagine handing off the maintenance of these monolith systems to the vendor or manufacturer. You could save the time, energy, and resources it takes to administer these systems, scale them as needed, and allow your team to refocus its efforts to tasks that add value to the organization. Similarly, SMBs that wish to incorporate an ERP system but may not have the staff or knowledge to do so can provision software- and infrastructure-as-a-service in as little time as it takes to make a call or conduct a meeting.
Nothing is worse than having your organization's equipment destroyed and finding that there was no disaster recovery plan (DRP) in place. Correction: The only thing worse is finding out a DRP exists but data cannot be recovered properly or it will take too many resources to get the organization fully operational in time. Luckily for us, a variety of options exist in the field of disaster recovery to allow organizations of all sizes and budgets to effectively implement a working recovery plan that will allow them to become operational in days, hours, or even minutes.
SEE:Disaster recovery and business continuity plan(TechRepublic Premium)
With the elasticity of cloud-based options, any business can start with the minimum requirements that suit its current needs and scale as needs grow. Whether those needs are storage, servers, clusters, or data centers anywhere in the world, the ability to activate multiple hot and cold sites still requires careful planning, but no longer the upfront expense of purchasing multiple sets of equipment or the long-term costs of maintaining said equipment in the event of failure or catastrophic loss.
This is your go-to resource for XaaS, AWS, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Platform, cloud engineering jobs, and cloud security news and tips. Delivered Mondays
Here is the original post:
Mission-critical services migrating to the cloud in 2020 - TechRepublic
- The impact of the coronavirus on the Health Care Cloud and Hosting Market Solid Analyzed Segmentation, Demand, Recent Share Estimation and Growth... - May 26th, 2020
- Southeast Asia Web Hosting Services Market 2020 by Company, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 - News Distinct - May 26th, 2020
- Apple @ Work: What are the best management options for Ubiquiti networks? - 9to5Mac - May 26th, 2020
- Organizations plan to migrate most apps to the cloud in the next year - Help Net Security - May 26th, 2020
- Texas planned to replace outdated unemployment system, but pandemic hit first - Longview News-Journal - May 26th, 2020
- Weekly Update: Global Coronavirus Impact and Implications on Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market Forecast Report Offers Key Insights, Key Drivers,... - May 26th, 2020
- Global Cloud-based Content Management Services Market Projected to Reach USD XX.XX billion by 2025- OpenText, IBM, Adobe Systems, Oracle, SDL,... - May 26th, 2020
- Vodafone Idea Recognised as Innovator of the Year at Red Hat Summit 2020 - Technuter - May 26th, 2020
- Cloud-based Database Market 2020 | Top Business Growing Strategies, Technological Innovation and Emerging Trends of Outlook To 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 23rd, 2020
- New study Global Cloud Based Database Market 2019 | Growth Opportunities, Investment Feasibility, Market Share And Forecast 2025 - Cole of Duty - May 23rd, 2020
- Disaster Recovery as a Service: Everything You Need to Know - The Fast Mode - May 23rd, 2020
- Cloud Hosting Companies Help Customers Contain Costs Winning Trust and Loyalty - EnterpriseAI - May 17th, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market Research, Size, Share Analysis By Manufacturers, Regions, Type And Application To 2025 - News Distinct - May 17th, 2020
- Illinois advances pioneering proposal for utility rate recovery of cloud computing investments - Utility Dive - May 17th, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 17th, 2020
- I.T. Ideas Inc. and Sytex Ltd win the 2020 Three Best Rated Award for Best IT Service Companies in Canada - PRUnderground - May 17th, 2020
- COVID-19: Responding to the business impacts of Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market: Extensive Analysis of Key Segments of the Industry and Emerging... - May 17th, 2020
- Global Healthcare Cloud Computing Market Outlook, Opportunities, Key Players, Growth, Competitive Landscape, Trends and Forecast by 2026 - Cole of... - May 17th, 2020
- These are the richest people in North Wales in 2020 - Daily Post - May 17th, 2020
- Global Cloud-based Database Market 2020 Growth, Innovations, Demand, Size, Revenue, Emerging Trends, Players, Type, Applications, New Development and... - May 17th, 2020
- Locked Down But Not Out, Hyderabadi Haleem Can Still Be Had this Ramzan - The Wire - May 17th, 2020
- Southeast Asia Web Hosting Services Market 2020 Benefits, Key Market Plans, Forthcoming Developments, Business Opportunities & Future Investments... - May 12th, 2020
- Bare Metal Cloud Market Industry Expected to Witness Significant Revenue Growth Through 2020-2025: IBM Corporation, Dell Inc., Rackspace Hosting Inc -... - May 12th, 2020
- ITRenew and Hydro66 Join Forces in Sweden to Reduce the Cost and Carbon Footprint of Hosting Data at Scale for Enterprises Across the EU - Yahoo... - May 12th, 2020
- Delivery Lead II - AWS job with AARP | 41014045 - Washington Post - May 12th, 2020
- Global Cloud Based Database Market Global Key Players, Trends and Technology Development Forecast to 2025. - Cole of Duty - May 12th, 2020
- Josiah Hincks ensure business continuity by going hosted with DPS - Legal Futures - May 12th, 2020
- Latest Update 2020: Infrastructure as a Service Market by COVID19 Impact Analysis And Top Manufacturers: Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft... - May 12th, 2020
- Warren Buffett Probably Won't Buy These 3 Stocks, but You Probably Should - The Motley Fool - May 10th, 2020
- GitHub gets a built-in IDE with Codespaces, discussion forums and more - TechCrunch - May 10th, 2020
- Putting people first to enable effective working from home - Business Post - May 10th, 2020
- Multi-Cloud Platforms Offer Up Key New Capabilities and Differentiation - CXOToday.com - May 10th, 2020
- 5 benefits of switching to cloud hosting - KnowTechie - May 4th, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market Size by Top Key Players, Growth Opportunities, Incremental Revenue , Outlook and Forecasts to 2026 - Latest Herald - May 4th, 2020
- Health Care Cloud and Hosting Market Size by Top Key Players, Growth Opportunities, Incremental Revenue , Outlook and Forecasts to 2026 - Latest... - May 4th, 2020
- Top 10 Cloud Technology Market Expected to Witness Significant Growth in the Forecast Years 2017-2025 - Latest Herald - May 4th, 2020
- Yellowbrick Partners With ScaleMatrix to Expand Free Solution for COVID-19 Vaccine Research - Business Wire - May 4th, 2020
- June events 'on the horizon': Previewing more than 50 events across NC - WRAL Tech Wire - May 4th, 2020
- Battle Royale: Which of These Indian Video Conferencing Apps Would Win Govt Challenge? - 360TopNews - May 4th, 2020
- Cloud Hosting Service Market Overview, Top Companies, Region, Application and Global Forecast by 2026 - Latest Herald - April 28th, 2020
- Without cloud computing, businesses would now be in even deeper trouble - ZDNet - April 28th, 2020
- Southeast Asia Web Hosting Services Market Size, Share, Application Analysis, Regional Outlook, Growth Trends, Key Players, Competitive Strategies and... - April 28th, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market Overview, Top Companies, Region, Application and Global Forecast by 2026 - Latest Herald - April 28th, 2020
- Keep the cash flowing in your recruitment business - Onrec - April 28th, 2020
- CANCOM: Very high growth rates in the cloud segment and recurring revenues in the financial year 2019; moderate growth of Group expected for 2020. -... - April 28th, 2020
- Southeast Asia Web Hosting Services Market Innovations, Revenue Analysis, Competitive Landscape and Trends by Forecast 2025 - Latest Herald - April 28th, 2020
- Triangle event headliners: Previewing 70 events & deadlines through the end of May - WRAL Tech Wire - April 28th, 2020
- COVID-19 and the Migration to SAP S/4 HANA - JD Supra - April 23rd, 2020
- Provide remote access with cloud hosting - InnovationMap - April 23rd, 2020
- Case study: How to quickly build and deliver a cloud-agnostic product - Cloud Tech - April 23rd, 2020
- SVG SportsTech On Demand: EEG's John Voorheis on the Role of Falcon, Lexi in Live Stream Captioning - Sports Video Group - April 23rd, 2020
- Southeast Asia Web Hosting Services Market 2020 Demand, Trend, Latest Techniques, Innovations, Applications, Analysis and 2025 Industry Growth... - April 23rd, 2020
- 4 Reasons to Move to QuickBooks Hosting in 2020 - HostReview.com - April 22nd, 2020
- Laplink Helps IT Transition to Azure Active Directory with Free Migration Tool - Yahoo Finance - April 22nd, 2020
- Considering a move from colocation to cloud? Here's how to build a solid business case - Techerati - April 22nd, 2020
- Scaleway disarms its ARM64 cloud, cites unreliable hardware as the reason - The Register - April 22nd, 2020
- AWS doubles the performance of its Snowball Edge device and adds new software - SiliconANGLE - April 22nd, 2020
- AWS Cape Town region goes live - MyBroadband - April 22nd, 2020
- Valuation Risks Keep DocuSign Stock From Being a Buy - Investorplace.com - April 22nd, 2020
- Cloud hosting firm anticipating strong revenue and EBITDA improvements - The Business Desk - April 20th, 2020
- Cloudflare wants to put an end to BGP hijacking and leaks - TechRadar - April 20th, 2020
- CHILI publish Introduces CHILI publisher Online the SaaS Editing Solution for All Web2print Service Providers - What They Think - April 20th, 2020
- 8 Takeaways and Recommendations for the Age of AI in Asia - Fintech News Singapore - April 20th, 2020
- Business Continuity in the Wake of COVID-19 - Techwire.net - April 20th, 2020
- Remote learning: Telecom providers must come to the party - Daily Maverick - April 20th, 2020
- VAST Data's latest funding round has the company valued at $1.2B - DataCenterNews North America - April 20th, 2020
- Cloud Hosting vs Dedicated Server Hosting Which one is better? - PC-Tablet - April 9th, 2020
- Southeast Asia Web Hosting Services Market Research Report: Market Analysis on the Future Growth Prospects and Market Trends Adopted by the... - April 9th, 2020
- Demand for e-learning continues to grow as Moodle announces their newest Certified Moodle Partner: South Africa-based company The Training Room Online... - April 9th, 2020
- Data Center Outsourcing and Hybrid Infrastructure Managed Services Market What Factors will drive the Data Center Outsourcing and Hybrid... - April 9th, 2020
- Latest Technology Trends in Business - 1redDrop - April 9th, 2020
- Global Video Hosting Software Market Analysis, Growth By Top Companies, Trends By Types and Application, Forecast To 2024 - Science In Me - April 9th, 2020
- AWS: the worlds most comprehensive cloud platform - Gigabit Magazine - Technology News, Magazine and Website - April 6th, 2020
- Summit Hosting Offers 90 Days of Free Cloud Hosting to Help Small and Medium Businesses Operate Remotely During COVID-19 - Benzinga - April 6th, 2020
- Why large non-profits opt for small hosting companies over the cloud - BestTechie - April 6th, 2020
- Special Report on Cloud ERP in the Aftermath of COVID-19 to Be Hosted by ERP Advisors Group - EconomyWatch.com - April 6th, 2020
- On the tech horizon: Here's a look at what's coming across NC in May - WRAL Tech Wire - April 6th, 2020
- Top 9 Reasons Your District Should be Moving to the Cloud - STN Media - School Transportation News - April 1st, 2020
- MSPs: Time to Reinvent - Channel Futures - April 1st, 2020
- Global Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market 2020 Industry Statistics on Key Trends, Growth and Opportunities to 2025 - Monroe Scoop - April 1st, 2020