Healthcare did not lead the charge into the cloud. But it has been making up for lost time. The use of cloud platforms has grown substantially within healthcare provider organizations.
See the Guide:Cloud computing decision guide: Breaking down 7 top solutions for healthcare
A recent HIMSS Analytics survey of provider C-suite executives found that more than half are using Infrastructure-as-a-Service (Iaas) cloud platforms to provide an environment for a wide range of uses ranging from hosting internally developed programs to a running fully functional EHR.
HIPAA privacy and security concerns were one reason for the slow start. But once HHS provided clear guidance on how to address PHI issues and work through Business Associate (BA) relationships, everything changed.
Today, very few healthcare CIOs consider security a reason to avoid the cloud. Quite the opposite. The HIMSS Analytics survey found that disaster preparedness is now one of the leading reasons why healthcare CIOs are making the decision to shift resources onto cloud platforms. The savings are compelling. Why rent storage in a redundant data center to maintain a fully functioning backup when you can pay for only what you need in the cloud?
You don't have to worry about your infrastructure and data center, said Jason Bickford, Applications Director of Health Information Management Systems at Banner Health and president of the HIMSS Arizona Chapter. Cloud-based is the right way to go.
Disaster recovery in the cloud also has value as a stepping stone on the way to moving production-level clinical applications into a cloud environment. The logic is compelling. Once the backup clinical application has been confirmed to be running smoothly in parallel, the cloud option has proved itself reliable, so why not take advantage of the potential savings?
That is not to say that security isnt a priority. After budget limitations, HIMSS Analytics survey respondents cited security concerns as a reason to move slowly toward the cloud.
Regardless of whether a solution is hosted in your own data center or in the cloud, security should be a critical factor in your review, advises Susan Snedaker, Director, IT Infrastructure & Operations at Tucson Medical Center and author of the book IT Security Management. Theres nothing inherently more or less secure about a cloud option, but some cloud-based solutions may not meet todays stringent security requirements.
In selecting a cloud platform vendor, Snedaker advises a careful review of the vendors documentation and contracts. Pay attention to the providers security program and make sure that audits take place on a regular basis.
If your database is going to be hosted on the same server as another database from another company, what happens if the other database is attacked? Can the attacker then gain access to your data? Snedaker says. Be sure to understand the specifics of the hosting solution so you are clear about your vulnerabilities. Then take steps to mitigate them select a different solution, select a different hosting model, ask the vendor to modify policies, processes, procedures, access methods, etc. or accept the risk if it cannot be overcome and there are no better options.
Security consultant Tod Ferran of Halock Security Labs has performed audits of the large cloud platforms, Microsoft, Amazon and Google, and found the services are maintaining a very high level of security. In many ways, Ferran said, the cloud is a better choice because many hospitals cant afford the staff to make their systems secure enough.
As the nature of risk has changed, so has the value equation. Strong security means constant maintenance of operating systems and applications with the healthcare enterprise. HIT managers can gain peace of mind from knowing the updates are being performed by a vendor that is guaranteeing round-the-clock support, rather than by a hospital staff already stretched with aggressive internal project loads.
Many healthcare providers use multiple cloud vendors, cherry picking among the different options to align with specific demands of each application.
Organizations are not putting all their eggs in one basket, said Sandra Yu, cloud client executive at CDW. Its a multi-cloud world. CDW partners with a wide number of cloud hosts in providing managed cloud services, so Yu has experience with many vendors.
If you have needs for hyper computing, we would recommend a public hyper-scalar for that, she said. For PHI she would recommend a private cloud.
When it comes to applications that have a heavy computational workload, you need to be sensitive to the clouds latency and so she would recommend a cloud data center that is geographically closer. But for something that is not PHI-sensitive, she would recommend a public cloud where the costs should be lower.
The clinical apps that can work well in the cloud are typically those that are not transferring large files or data streams, Snedaker says. If youre going to host a data intensive clinical application in the cloud, you should be sure you have the right connectivity solution in place.
When factoring in all of the reasons to move to the cloud, in the end, cost is still a prime motivation. The savings are derived not only from reducing the cost of maintaining data centers. The pricing for IaaS continues to go down.
Its like a race to the bottom, Yu said, noting that when one of the major vendors lowers its price, the others are quick to match it. Pricing among the leading public cloud vendors is generally on par now, so decisions should be made after shopping for the services and support that youll need. Pay as you go options are readily available, so trials are simple to setup.
Twitter:@GusVendittoEmail the writer: email@example.com
Like Healthcare IT News on Facebook and LinkedIn
- Global Cloud Hosting Service Market 2019 Industry Research, Segmentation, Key Players Analysis and Forecast to 2024 - News Midget - December 4th, 2019
- Logz.io Unveils First-Ever Open Source-Based Cloud Observability Platform Powered by ELK and Grafana - GlobeNewswire - December 4th, 2019
- 'Big 3' Public Cloud Providers: 4 Reasons Not to Use Them - ITPro Today - December 4th, 2019
- Global Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market 2019 by Manufacturers, Countries, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 - World Industry Reports - December 4th, 2019
- Join Us For The IBM i On The Public Cloud Webinar - IT Jungle - December 4th, 2019
- Amazon reveals new server chip to take on Intel - MyBroadband - December 4th, 2019
- SysGroup (LON:SYS) Hits New 1-Year Low at $33.50 - TechNewsObserver - December 4th, 2019
- How to match your IT workloads to the right cloud - TechBeacon - December 2nd, 2019
- Application modernisation in 2020 and beyond why businesses need to be ready now - CIO Australia - December 2nd, 2019
- Cloud Performance Varies Across the World, New Report Finds - ITPro Today - December 2nd, 2019
- Black Friday & Cyber Monday: These web hosting offers come only once a year - MyHostNews.com - November 30th, 2019
- HostNOC offering a big discount on its hosting and dedicated servers - Press Release - Digital Journal - November 30th, 2019
- Processing 30 billion images a month, heres how ImageKit delivers 98% of the optimised images in under 50 mil - YourStory - November 30th, 2019
- Cloud-based Database Market 2019 to Perceive Biggest Trend and Opportunity with Key Players Google, Amazon Web Services, IBM, Microsoft, Oracle,... - November 30th, 2019
- This Week in Jobs: We're one wild turkey - Technical.ly - November 30th, 2019
- Data Center Outsourcing and Hybrid Infrastructure Managed Services Market Revenue, Region Analysis, And Forecast 2024 - Space Market Research - November 30th, 2019
- Why Is Apple Trusted More Than Google? - Forbes - November 30th, 2019
- Ryuk ransomware attack on cloud hosting company affected 110 hospitals - TEISS - November 28th, 2019
- Embrace the Journey of Technological Transformation - CIOReview - November 28th, 2019
- Global Disaster Recovery-as-a-Service (DRaaS) Market 2018-2022 | Evolving Opportunities with IBM and iland | Technavio - Business Wire - November 28th, 2019
- Join In For The IBM i On The Public Cloud Webinar - IT Jungle - November 28th, 2019
- If tsoHost is lecturing us on sleep hygiene, Brit outfit really does have hosting back to front - The Register - November 28th, 2019
- DHA SDD Shifting Health IT Outlook for 2020 - GovernmentCIO Media - November 28th, 2019
- 4 Popular Types of Website Hosting That You Need to Know - India West - November 19th, 2019
- Is IT prepared for life in the fast lane of multi-cloud? - - Enterprise Times - November 19th, 2019
- How managed services and the cloud is driving innovation in asset heavy industries - CIO Australia - November 19th, 2019
- Salesforce and Microsoft Team Up to Improve Your Productivity - Tech.co - November 19th, 2019
- Business Cloud VoIP & UC Services Market:Clear Understanding of The Competitive Landscape and Key Product Segments - Heraldresearch - November 19th, 2019
- Cloud Leadership Summit 2019 successfully brings together leaders in the Indian cloud and hosting industry - Web Hosting | Cloud Computing |... - November 17th, 2019
- IBM and Bank of America Collaborating to Build a Fintech Public Cloud - Data Center Knowledge - November 17th, 2019
- Routed will host Xalam Analytics at cloud workshops in November - htxt.africa - November 17th, 2019
- Here are the winners of the UK IT Industry Awards 2019 - www.computing.co.uk - November 17th, 2019
- We're Stuck With the Tech Giants. But They're Stuck With Each Other. - International New York Times - November 17th, 2019
- WPMU DEV Hosting Review Managed WordPress Cloud Hosting - October 15th, 2019
- Cloud Hosting | Unlimited Cloud Hosting UK with SSD and ... - October 3rd, 2019
- The 5 Best Cloud Hosting Providers: Service On Cloud Nine ... - October 3rd, 2019
- VMware Cloud Hosting Services Provider | TrueNorth ITG - April 28th, 2019
- What is cloud hosting? | IBM Cloud - April 18th, 2019
- What is cloud hosting? - Definition from WhatIs.com - April 18th, 2019
- What is Cloud Hosting and What Are the Benefits - April 18th, 2019
- How will cloud hosting affect your SEO campaign? | The Drum - April 18th, 2019
- Cloud Hosting Services | Steadfast - April 18th, 2019
- The Best Cloud Web Hosting Services for 2019 | PCMag.com - April 12th, 2019
- Web Hosting - Hosting Ireland Provides Web Hosting ... - March 23rd, 2019
- ZOOM Web Hosting and Domain Registration Philippines is a ... - March 13th, 2019
- Hostway and HOSTING Merge, Creating One of the Largest ... - March 8th, 2019
- 7 Best Managed Cloud Hosting Providers of 2018 - WPMyWeb - March 2nd, 2019
- Cloud Hosting vs. Shared Hosting Comparison | HostGator - March 2nd, 2019
- Shared Web Hosting Plans - Fast & Secure Shared Hosting ... - February 15th, 2019
- Cloud Hosting Services | Cloud and Hosting | Sungard AS - February 8th, 2019
- 10 Best Cloud Hosting Service in 2019 - AppModo - January 21st, 2019
- Best Cloud hosting January 2019 | WebHostingGeeks - January 21st, 2019
- Cloud Products & Services | HOSTING - January 11th, 2019
- Cloud Hosting - Super Powerful and Fully Redundant | TMDHosting - January 11th, 2019
- Cloud Hosting Services - Secure Managed Cloud Hosting - Bluehost - October 26th, 2018
- Indias Best Cloud Hosting | Cloud Servers | Cloud Service ... - October 16th, 2018
- QuickBooks Hosting Fast, Secure Cloud Hosting | Ace Cloud ... - October 2nd, 2018
- Cloud Services - Deploy web apps & APIs | Microsoft Azure - October 2nd, 2018
- HIPAA Compliant Cloud Hosting Services - atlantic.net - September 15th, 2018
- 2018's Best "Cloud Hosting" Providers | 100% Real Reviews - September 15th, 2018
- Best Cloud Hosting Providers of 2018 | HostAdvice - August 27th, 2018
- Shared Hosting vs Cloud Hosting - How To Start A Blog - August 27th, 2018
- 10 Best Cloud Server Hosting Providers (2018): Top Cloud ... - August 21st, 2018
- Google Cloud IoT Reviews and Pricing - 2018 - July 12th, 2018
- Cloud Hosting Plans - Secure & Scalable Services | HostGator - May 18th, 2018
- Best cloud hosting providers in 2018 | TechRadar - May 14th, 2018
- Cloud Hosting - Cloud - Windows - March 2nd, 2018
- Cloud Servers | Cloud Hosting | Web Hosting - Cirrus Hosting - February 20th, 2018
- Managed Dedicated, Cloud and Hosting Services - February 20th, 2018
- What is Cloud Hosting? | Web Hosting Sun - February 12th, 2018
- Cloud Hosting - Managed Cloud Services - January 9th, 2018
- Cloud Hosting by Perry Hosting - December 11th, 2017
- What Is Cloud Hosting? | GoDaddy - YouTube - December 11th, 2017
- Linux VPS | Best Managed Linux Cloud Hosting - RoseHosting - November 24th, 2017
- Cloud hosting platforms. Part one: Pantheon | ADCI Solutions - November 24th, 2017
- Get to know Linode, the new (big) kid in town - Technical.ly - September 7th, 2017
- 500 Cloud Operators, Managed Service Companies and Hosters to Gather at the 13th Annual Hosting & Cloud ... - Benzinga - September 7th, 2017
- Cloud ERP: The rising alternative to hosting your own - Networks Asia - September 7th, 2017
- Melbourne Server Hosting Renamed to iomart - Web Host Industry Review - September 6th, 2017
- Cloud ERP: The rising alternative to hosting your own - CIO Australia - September 6th, 2017