How to Choose the Right Web Hosting
Cloud hosting is the hot darling in the web hosting space right now. This hosting category has been around for a while, but recently has really started to gain traction, even among smaller businesses. Cloud hostingwhich spreads your site across multiple serversis the most unique of all hosting types, as it lets you do many things that you could not do with the standard shared, virtual private server (VPS), dedicated, or WordPress hosting options. Let's explore those features.
Traditional hosting sees your website leverage the power of one particular server's CPU, RAM, storage, and data transfers. For example, shared web hosting has your website share resources with other sites that are also hosted exclusively on one server. The result is many annoying limitations in terms of power, and the inability to handle sharp traffic surges. For better service, you can pay for a virtual private server, or even a dedicated server of varying power. In all these case, you're basically relying on one server, and that's it. Cloud hosting, however, kicks that single-server hosting model to the curb in a marvelous manner. With cloud hosting, your website draws resources from multiple servers.
See How We Test Web Hosting Services
Cloud hosting's use of multiple servers gives it certain advantages over traditional hosting. For example, if your website experiences a sudden traffic spike, it can pull resources from another server to prevent slow page loads or, worse, the site going down. In addition, cloud hosting makes it incredibly simple for your to scale resources up or down, as needed.
Note that there are different types of cloud hosting. Traditional web hosts, such as DreamHost and HostGator, offer cloud hosting packages that are priced similarly as their other web hosting packages (typically in the Shared or VPS range). These small business-friendly cloud hosting solutions are what we're primarily focused on in this roundup.
Enterprise-level, infrastructure-as-a-service cloud hosting from the likes of Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, and Rackspace are also available. Though these are technically cloud hosting services, they are not what's highlighted here. For more on that flavor of expansive (and potentially more expensive!) cloud hosting, please visit our story about the best infrastructure-as-a-service solutions.
The chart above focuses on the web hosts that boast the best cloud hosting plans of all the services we've reviewed. Note that we are still in the process of examining cloud hosting offerings as this is a new categorywe're definitely going to be testing more services in the coming months. Still, with the reviews we've done so far and lots of research, we've discovered what you should look for in a cloud hosting service.
Many cloud web hosts offer unlimited monthly data transfers, so other factors may help you decide which service is best for your business. That said, if you're interested in "unlimited" anything, no matter if it's data or storage, be sure to read the tiny print to make sure that there aren't any surprises. In other words, make sure your definition of unlimited matches the hosting service's definition. They can be two very different things.
Speaking of storage, we've discovered that cloud hosts typically offer hard drives or solid-state drives that range between 100GB and 200GB in size. That said, you'll occasionally discover a web host that boasts unlimited storage. (Again, the usual caveats apply with regards to "unlimited" anything.) Solid-state drives are typically faster than their hard-drive-based counterparts, but are typically smaller in terms of storage capacity. If you're looking for sheer volume, a traditional hard drive is the way to go.
When it comes to server operating systems, Linux is typically the default option. Still, some services offer Windows hosting, too. If you have specific server-side applications that require Windows, such as SQL Server or a custom application written in .NET, then you need to make sure your web host has Windows hosting.
You'll also want a web host with responsive 24/7 customer support. Forums, knowledge bases, and tutorials are useful tools, but there's nothing like getting another human being on the horn (or at least in a web chat) when problems arise.
Security is of utmost importance, too. If your goal is to sell products or services, you need to look into Secure Socket Layer (SSL) and Transport Layer Security (TLS). Those technologies encrypt the data that travel's between a customer's computer and your company's servers to safeguard the information from people with ill intentions.
In each of our reviews, we devote an entire section to uptime, it's so important. Simply put, if your site is down, clients or customers will be unable to find your business or access your products or services. They may find what they're looking for elsewhere, and never return. At the very least, customers will be annoyed, and it won't help their image of your business. Neither is a good outcome.
Three years ago, we added formal uptime monitoring to our review process, and the results show that most web hosts do an excellent job of keeping their sites up and running. If they don't, they suffer for it in our rankings. Even if they get everything else right, sites with uptime problems aren't eligible for top scores. All services suffer ups and downs, sometimes for reasons beyond their control. Those sites that fail to address the problem are penalized accordingly.
If you're ready to find a great web hosting service, click the links below to read our in-depth reviews of the biggest and best names in the space. If you're just getting started with web hosting, make sure to check out our primer, How to Create a Website, and How to Register a Domain Name.
See the article here:
The Best Cloud Web Hosting Services for 2020 | PCMag
- Research Report and Overview on Web Hosting Providers Market, 2020-2025 - Express Journal - April 5th, 2020
- Top 9 Reasons Your District Should be Moving to the Cloud - STN Media - School Transportation News - April 1st, 2020
- MSPs: Time to Reinvent - Channel Futures - April 1st, 2020
- Global Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market 2020 Industry Statistics on Key Trends, Growth and Opportunities to 2025 - Monroe Scoop - April 1st, 2020
- Health Catalyst Launches Four Additional COVID-19 Solutions and a Modular Bundle - The Herald Journal - April 1st, 2020
- Tech pitches in to fight COVID-19 pandemic - Computerworld - April 1st, 2020
- Transitioning Your Enterprise Workload? Read This First - Forbes - March 23rd, 2020
- Hybrid cloud - The business infrastructure of tomorrow - Techerati - March 23rd, 2020
- On the horizon: 57 meetups, conferences & networking events across NC in April - WRAL Tech Wire - March 23rd, 2020
- The Four Main Reasons Your Cloud Spending Is Out of Control - Cloud Wars - March 21st, 2020
- Everyone needs the cloud now more than ever. So understand AWS, Azure and more for under $25. - The Next Web - March 21st, 2020
- Zoom warns investors they may become a victim of their own success as costs spiral - MSPoweruser - MSPoweruser - March 21st, 2020
- Leostream to the Remote Access Rescue - Associated Press - March 21st, 2020
- AMD and Intel have a formidable new foe but youll never guess who it is - TechRadar - March 21st, 2020
- Business Process-as-a-Service (BPaaS) Market To Reach USD 120.70 Billion By 2026 Growing at a CAGR of 12.6% - Weather News Point - March 21st, 2020
- Realising the impact of unsecured container deployments: A guide - Cloud Tech - March 20th, 2020
- Leostream to the Remote Access Rescue - Yahoo Finance - March 20th, 2020
- Friday night music jam hosted by Tony Oldand goes live online tonight for musicians and music fans looking to be cheered up - Beach Metro News - March 20th, 2020
- This Week in Jobs: Puppies and Rainbows Edition - Technical.ly Brooklyn - March 20th, 2020
- Firms go remote at breakneck speed in response to coronavirus - Accounting Today - March 20th, 2020
- Web Hosting Services Market 2019-2023 | Increase in the Number of E-commerce Vendors to Boost Growth | Technavio - Yahoo Finance - March 20th, 2020
- COIN.HOST: Security, Privacy and Excellence Applied To Web Hosting In The Crypto Market - UseTheBitcoin - March 20th, 2020
- YouTube fails to clarify whether reduced streaming quality will impact live events - Cloud Pro - March 20th, 2020
- Are two clouds better than one? - ITWeb - March 20th, 2020
- Will coronavirus change the way we view tech? - BusinessCloud - March 20th, 2020
- QualiSpace Launched Tally on the Cloud - IT News Online - March 13th, 2020
- BeBop, Sony Ci to Hold Post-Production in the Cloud Webinar March 18 - Media & Entertainment Services Alliance M&E Daily Newsletter - March 13th, 2020
- Disruptive tech trends: Fintech leads Twitter mentions in February 2020 - Verdict - March 13th, 2020
- Minimize business impact of coronavirus - IT World Canada - March 13th, 2020
- Software for scheduling appointment in beauty salons Software as a service vs WordPress Plugins vs Local Applications - Mighty Gadget - March 13th, 2020
- Cloud Hosting Service Market 2020 By Top Key Players/Manufacturers, Type and Application, Regions, Industry Analysis, Growth, Size, Trends and... - March 12th, 2020
- Amazon: Linux-based Bottlerocket is our new OS for hosting containers in the cloud - ZDNet - March 12th, 2020
- PTC Unlocks Huge Time Savings for Developers & Technical Designers with New Samples Console in FlexPLM Version 11.2 - Which PLM - March 12th, 2020
- Cybersecurity in a time of coronavirus - Accounting Today - March 12th, 2020
- VMware : UKCloud Health awarded place on new 3bn framework from NHS London Procurement Partnership - marketscreener.com - March 12th, 2020
- UKCloud Health awarded place on new 3bn framework from NHS London Procurement Partnership - RealWire - March 12th, 2020
- Cloud ITSM Market Current Trends and Future Aspect Analysis 2018 2028 - 3rd Watch News - March 12th, 2020
- How to pick the right third-party CI/CD tool for the cloud - TechTarget - March 12th, 2020
- Recovery and restoration of content from blogs and windows web hosting UK websites - Lifesly.com - March 12th, 2020
- IBS Software Takes Lufthansa Cargo Handling to the Cloud - PRNewswire - March 10th, 2020
- New realms of measurement, connected data silos, and more in 2020 (Reader Forum) - RCR Wireless News - March 10th, 2020
- Introduction to the Firebase Database - Database Journal - March 10th, 2020
- Source Code Escrow Agreements Are Reaching For The Cloud - JD Supra - March 10th, 2020
- Google expanding cloud hosting presence in Canada with Toronto location - MobileSyrup - March 7th, 2020
- Mission-critical services migrating to the cloud in 2020 - TechRepublic - March 7th, 2020
- From Paper to Digital the Benefits of Cloud and SaaS Platforms for Lab Productivity - Technology Networks - March 7th, 2020
- Version Control Hosting Software Market Rising Trends and Technology Outlook 2019 to 2025 - News Times - March 7th, 2020
- Standing wave cloud at sunrise, over Zimbabwe - EarthSky - March 7th, 2020
- Standard Bank partners with Microsoft and SAP to accelerate its digital journey - BusinessTech - March 7th, 2020
- Meet the New Navisite: A Modern Managed Cloud Service Provider Accelerating IT Transformation for Thousands of Global Brands - AiThority - March 4th, 2020
- Navisite Transforms to Modern Managed Cloud Service Provider - Database Trends and Applications - March 4th, 2020
- SophosLabs Reports on Cloud Snooper, an Advanced Targeted Attack that Allows Malware to Communicate Across Firewalls - CXOToday.com - March 4th, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market- Global Business Growing Strategies, Technological Innovation And Emerging Trends Of Outlook To 2026 - Feed Road - March 4th, 2020
- Microsoft Goes All-In On RPA (Robotic Process Automation) - Forbes - March 4th, 2020
- Personal/Private Cloud Market by Revenue (Direct and Indirect), Hosting (User and Provider) and Deployment (Individuals, Small businesses and Medium... - March 4th, 2020
- ACS transforms disaster recovery with VMware and Routed - TechCentral - March 4th, 2020
- Amazon Lightsail offers cheap WordPress hosting in the cloud - Coywolf News - February 28th, 2020
- Northumberlands move to Oracle cloud apps hands control over from IT to end users - Diginomica - February 28th, 2020
- Ankr Partners With LTO Network; Announces Node Hosting and Campaign - CryptoNewsZ - February 28th, 2020
- FastComet is Now Powered by AMD EPYC to Dramatically Improve Reliability, Speed, and Security of Its High-Performance Servers - HostReview.com - February 28th, 2020
- Two Rare Cloud Features Appear Over New Hampshire's Mount Washington - Smithsonian.com - February 28th, 2020
- Source Code Escrow Agreements Are Reaching For The Cloud - Law360 - February 28th, 2020
- Millennials to Drive Bitcoin Higher: 4 Stocks to Watch - Nasdaq - February 28th, 2020
- Why CFOs are turning to hosting as they move to in-house accounts - Financial Director - February 28th, 2020
- Harnessing the benefits of HSCN requires more than just 'connectivity' - Open Access Government - February 28th, 2020
- Two new higher education institutions select OnBase hosted in the Hyland Cloud - PRNewswire - February 27th, 2020
- Cloud Hosting Service Market Types and Applications Outlook, Industry Drivers, Ongoing Trends, Future Demand, Challenges, Top Companies & Forecast... - February 27th, 2020
- Alibaba to give out free cloud to help businesses affected by Coronavirus - Data Economy - February 27th, 2020
- Arizona Health Information Exchange Launches NextGen Healthcare Health Data Hub to Improve the Physician Experience and Enhance Patient Care - Yahoo... - February 27th, 2020
- Financial organisations leading the way for hybrid cloud, Nutanix finds - DataCentreNews Europe - February 27th, 2020
- LINX Cardiff Becomes LINX Wales as Regional Internet Exchange Welcome NGD to the Network - RealWire - February 27th, 2020
- ServerCentral Turing Group and Digital Realty Expand Partnership for Hybrid Cloud Solutions - HostReview.com - February 27th, 2020
- How CPAs Can Have a Stronger IT Infrastructure - Accountingweb.com - February 22nd, 2020
- Cohere Cyber Secure announces Fully Integrated "Cyber-Managed Security as a Service" Targeting High-Demand Enterprises in Healthcare and... - February 22nd, 2020
- Software Asset Management Market 2020 Analysis, End Users, Business Growth, Top Key Players and Forecast to 2025 - News Times - February 22nd, 2020
- Cloud Hosting Service Market Insights with Statistics and Growth Prediction 2020 to 2026 - Instant Tech News - February 21st, 2020
- Will VMware's New Fees Trigger Rush to the Cloud? - Toolbox - February 21st, 2020
- Infoblox Core DDI and Cloud Platform appliance products are now certified as Nutanix Ready - Help Net Security - February 21st, 2020
- HMRC chief gives thumbs up to five-year cloud migration programme - PublicTechnology - February 21st, 2020
- How can government manage the growing digital market choice? - The Mandarin - February 21st, 2020