Editors Note: Were delighted to feature a guest author on Cloud Wars today. Steve Schechter, an IT Director based in Hong Kong, shares the second in his 2-part series on taming runaway cloud costs. You can read Part 1 here.
How much are you spending on cloud every month?
Is it within the budget you set?
Are you able to understand the invoices you receive from your cloud providers? And reliably predict what youll spend in the future?
Its easy enough to answer the first question. But for many companies today, the answer to the others is probably, No.
In my previous article, Taming Runaway Cloud Expenses: How I Cut Cloud-Hosting Costs by 32%, I shared the specific steps I took to cut one clients cloud hosting bill by almost one-third. But every company is different and what worked for one company may not work for another. In order to help you understand how to keep your cloud bill under control, its important to know the reasons why things get out of hand in the first place.
Too many companies today are unaware that public cloud requires a different style of governance than for traditional infrastructure. The lack of proper cloud governance leads to results that are the stuff of nightmares.
More specifically, industry analysts estimate that of the $40 billion spent on public cloud IaaS in 2019, 30% or more is wasted. Gartner estimates that public cloud bills are often two to three times higher than expected and that as many as 80% of companies surveyed report that they consistently go over budget on their IaaS spend.
The situation is bad. Yet the concept of cloud governance isnt receiving the attention it deserves. Plenty of attention is given to cloud architecture, cloud migration, cloud securitybut cloud governance is rarely mentioned at all. The last cloud conference I attended had dozens of break-out sessions covering popular topics like security, hybrid cloud and multi-cloud; and just one poorly attended 45-minute talk on governance.
The main reason that cloud spending gets out of control is the management of resources and approvals. Its a matter of capital expense (CapEx) versus operating expense (OpEx).
Think about how you manage your traditional data-center resources. Buying or leasing almost anything for your data center or colocation service represents a commitment of thousands of dollarsoften many, many thousands of dollars. These are generally viewed as capital expenses and they usually require several layers of approvals. The workflow probably looks like this:
But in the brave new world of public cloud, a compute resource costs just pennies per hour. Pay as you go, right? Just a few dollars here, a few pennies there. So its not a capital expense, its an operating expense (OpEx). So the workflow might look more like this:
However, along with that compute resource theyve also added some disk space, snapshots and backups, perhaps replication for disaster-recovery purposes, perhaps several servers with load balancing, a new Vnet or subnets, new rules for a web application firewall and so on. Before you know it, this person has created cloud resources that will cost thousands of dollars per year all without obtaining any approvals or sign-offs and almost definitely without notifying the CTO or CFO about this new financial commitment.
Cloud governance is a recent paradigm that recognizes that traditional infrastructure governance doesnt work for public cloud. Its a framework that can cover cost optimization, roles and responsibilities, resiliency and possibly security and compliance.
This framework generally strikes a balance between fiscal responsibility and agile innovation. It should recognize that decisions and approvals may no longer be centralized. It may include:
To be effective, cloud governance is best managed using a cloud management platform. While cloud vendors offer increasingly sophisticated tools in this area, third-party solutions are much further ahead in terms of features and, as you might expect, work equally well whether youre using a single cloud vendor or all of them.
The most-important function of such a platform is its ability to provide automated alertsand in some cases automated remediationswhen policy violations occur, as they invariably will.
Another area where you will frequently encounter waste has to do with the sizing of servers. When you buy a physical server, you expect it to last for at least 5 years. You may know how big that server needs to be todaybut do you know how big it will need to be three years from now? Five years? Probably not. So you buy the largest server you can afford, cross your fingers and hope for the best.
To some extent this mindset has carried over to the cloud as well. If no one is watching over this properly, DevOps is probably spinning up huge virtual servers with far more vCPU and vRAM than is needed. It completely overlooks one of the most fundamental tenets of cloud: cloud is elastic. Spin up what you know you need today and its an almost trivial matter to migrate to something larger (or smaller) in the future.
People still dont think cloud. They dont understand the on-demand nature of cloud. As a result, a lot of savings opportunities are missed.
Heres the simplest example. Your developers all go home by 7 PM or midnight or whenever. They dont turn up until 10 AM the next morning. They go home on weekends and holidays. Theyre not working, and their cloud servers arent working. The servers are just sitting there, not gathering dust but gathering charges on your bill.
In the good old days, its just a server sitting in your data center and its only costing you a few pennies extra each month for electricity. But in the brave new world of cloud, its easy to power them down and grab those savings.
I can remember sitting in a clients meeting room with their Cloud Ops team. The client had just published their annual report, a 50-page 4-color glossy booklet that not only reported on the previous years results but also laid out the companys vision for the future. In a nice touch, the report had lots of photos of the companys staff hard at work.
How many people in this room have read the companys latest annual report? I asked. I looked at the 10 other people sitting around at the table, and not a single hand went up. Not one person there had bothered to look at the reportbecause their perception was that it had nothing to do with their daily jobs.
The best system administrators and DevOps people can often operate with blinders on. They know the tasks they have to do and are intensely focused on them, sometimes to the omission of everything else. Butand this is importantthis is not their fault.
You might be the greatest manager in the world, but if all youre doing is assigning tasks, checking progress and putting out status reports, youve only done half your job.
Its the managers job to make people care, to communicate the passion of the companys mission and make every person on the team understand not just the vision but also their role in achieving it.
A big piece of this communication is making teams understand the budget impact of their actions, and how saving money not only benefits the company but will directly benefit them as well. After all, more profits mean higher bonuses and possibly even a greater headcount to share the workload.
Optimizing cloud costs is everyones job. Communicating that consistently to the team, making everyone understand their role and their roles importance, makes it easier for you to do your job, because now everyone around you will make it a priority to contribute to the cost-savings effort.
See the original post here:
The Four Main Reasons Your Cloud Spending Is Out of Control - Cloud Wars
- Cloud-based Database Market 2020 | Top Business Growing Strategies, Technological Innovation and Emerging Trends of Outlook To 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 23rd, 2020
- New study Global Cloud Based Database Market 2019 | Growth Opportunities, Investment Feasibility, Market Share And Forecast 2025 - Cole of Duty - May 23rd, 2020
- Disaster Recovery as a Service: Everything You Need to Know - The Fast Mode - May 23rd, 2020
- Cloud Hosting Companies Help Customers Contain Costs Winning Trust and Loyalty - EnterpriseAI - May 17th, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market Research, Size, Share Analysis By Manufacturers, Regions, Type And Application To 2025 - News Distinct - May 17th, 2020
- Illinois advances pioneering proposal for utility rate recovery of cloud computing investments - Utility Dive - May 17th, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 17th, 2020
- I.T. Ideas Inc. and Sytex Ltd win the 2020 Three Best Rated Award for Best IT Service Companies in Canada - PRUnderground - May 17th, 2020
- COVID-19: Responding to the business impacts of Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market: Extensive Analysis of Key Segments of the Industry and Emerging... - May 17th, 2020
- Global Healthcare Cloud Computing Market Outlook, Opportunities, Key Players, Growth, Competitive Landscape, Trends and Forecast by 2026 - Cole of... - May 17th, 2020
- These are the richest people in North Wales in 2020 - Daily Post - May 17th, 2020
- Global Cloud-based Database Market 2020 Growth, Innovations, Demand, Size, Revenue, Emerging Trends, Players, Type, Applications, New Development and... - May 17th, 2020
- Locked Down But Not Out, Hyderabadi Haleem Can Still Be Had this Ramzan - The Wire - May 17th, 2020
- Southeast Asia Web Hosting Services Market 2020 Benefits, Key Market Plans, Forthcoming Developments, Business Opportunities & Future Investments... - May 12th, 2020
- Bare Metal Cloud Market Industry Expected to Witness Significant Revenue Growth Through 2020-2025: IBM Corporation, Dell Inc., Rackspace Hosting Inc -... - May 12th, 2020
- ITRenew and Hydro66 Join Forces in Sweden to Reduce the Cost and Carbon Footprint of Hosting Data at Scale for Enterprises Across the EU - Yahoo... - May 12th, 2020
- Delivery Lead II - AWS job with AARP | 41014045 - Washington Post - May 12th, 2020
- Global Cloud Based Database Market Global Key Players, Trends and Technology Development Forecast to 2025. - Cole of Duty - May 12th, 2020
- Josiah Hincks ensure business continuity by going hosted with DPS - Legal Futures - May 12th, 2020
- Latest Update 2020: Infrastructure as a Service Market by COVID19 Impact Analysis And Top Manufacturers: Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft... - May 12th, 2020
- Warren Buffett Probably Won't Buy These 3 Stocks, but You Probably Should - The Motley Fool - May 10th, 2020
- GitHub gets a built-in IDE with Codespaces, discussion forums and more - TechCrunch - May 10th, 2020
- Putting people first to enable effective working from home - Business Post - May 10th, 2020
- Multi-Cloud Platforms Offer Up Key New Capabilities and Differentiation - CXOToday.com - May 10th, 2020
- 5 benefits of switching to cloud hosting - KnowTechie - May 4th, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market Size by Top Key Players, Growth Opportunities, Incremental Revenue , Outlook and Forecasts to 2026 - Latest Herald - May 4th, 2020
- Health Care Cloud and Hosting Market Size by Top Key Players, Growth Opportunities, Incremental Revenue , Outlook and Forecasts to 2026 - Latest... - May 4th, 2020
- Top 10 Cloud Technology Market Expected to Witness Significant Growth in the Forecast Years 2017-2025 - Latest Herald - May 4th, 2020
- Yellowbrick Partners With ScaleMatrix to Expand Free Solution for COVID-19 Vaccine Research - Business Wire - May 4th, 2020
- June events 'on the horizon': Previewing more than 50 events across NC - WRAL Tech Wire - May 4th, 2020
- Battle Royale: Which of These Indian Video Conferencing Apps Would Win Govt Challenge? - 360TopNews - May 4th, 2020
- Cloud Hosting Service Market Overview, Top Companies, Region, Application and Global Forecast by 2026 - Latest Herald - April 28th, 2020
- Without cloud computing, businesses would now be in even deeper trouble - ZDNet - April 28th, 2020
- Southeast Asia Web Hosting Services Market Size, Share, Application Analysis, Regional Outlook, Growth Trends, Key Players, Competitive Strategies and... - April 28th, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market Overview, Top Companies, Region, Application and Global Forecast by 2026 - Latest Herald - April 28th, 2020
- Keep the cash flowing in your recruitment business - Onrec - April 28th, 2020
- CANCOM: Very high growth rates in the cloud segment and recurring revenues in the financial year 2019; moderate growth of Group expected for 2020. -... - April 28th, 2020
- Southeast Asia Web Hosting Services Market Innovations, Revenue Analysis, Competitive Landscape and Trends by Forecast 2025 - Latest Herald - April 28th, 2020
- Triangle event headliners: Previewing 70 events & deadlines through the end of May - WRAL Tech Wire - April 28th, 2020
- COVID-19 and the Migration to SAP S/4 HANA - JD Supra - April 23rd, 2020
- Provide remote access with cloud hosting - InnovationMap - April 23rd, 2020
- Case study: How to quickly build and deliver a cloud-agnostic product - Cloud Tech - April 23rd, 2020
- SVG SportsTech On Demand: EEG's John Voorheis on the Role of Falcon, Lexi in Live Stream Captioning - Sports Video Group - April 23rd, 2020
- Southeast Asia Web Hosting Services Market 2020 Demand, Trend, Latest Techniques, Innovations, Applications, Analysis and 2025 Industry Growth... - April 23rd, 2020
- 4 Reasons to Move to QuickBooks Hosting in 2020 - HostReview.com - April 22nd, 2020
- Laplink Helps IT Transition to Azure Active Directory with Free Migration Tool - Yahoo Finance - April 22nd, 2020
- Considering a move from colocation to cloud? Here's how to build a solid business case - Techerati - April 22nd, 2020
- Scaleway disarms its ARM64 cloud, cites unreliable hardware as the reason - The Register - April 22nd, 2020
- AWS doubles the performance of its Snowball Edge device and adds new software - SiliconANGLE - April 22nd, 2020
- AWS Cape Town region goes live - MyBroadband - April 22nd, 2020
- Valuation Risks Keep DocuSign Stock From Being a Buy - Investorplace.com - April 22nd, 2020
- Cloud hosting firm anticipating strong revenue and EBITDA improvements - The Business Desk - April 20th, 2020
- Cloudflare wants to put an end to BGP hijacking and leaks - TechRadar - April 20th, 2020
- CHILI publish Introduces CHILI publisher Online the SaaS Editing Solution for All Web2print Service Providers - What They Think - April 20th, 2020
- 8 Takeaways and Recommendations for the Age of AI in Asia - Fintech News Singapore - April 20th, 2020
- Business Continuity in the Wake of COVID-19 - Techwire.net - April 20th, 2020
- Remote learning: Telecom providers must come to the party - Daily Maverick - April 20th, 2020
- VAST Data's latest funding round has the company valued at $1.2B - DataCenterNews North America - April 20th, 2020
- Cloud Hosting vs Dedicated Server Hosting Which one is better? - PC-Tablet - April 9th, 2020
- Southeast Asia Web Hosting Services Market Research Report: Market Analysis on the Future Growth Prospects and Market Trends Adopted by the... - April 9th, 2020
- Demand for e-learning continues to grow as Moodle announces their newest Certified Moodle Partner: South Africa-based company The Training Room Online... - April 9th, 2020
- Data Center Outsourcing and Hybrid Infrastructure Managed Services Market What Factors will drive the Data Center Outsourcing and Hybrid... - April 9th, 2020
- Latest Technology Trends in Business - 1redDrop - April 9th, 2020
- Global Video Hosting Software Market Analysis, Growth By Top Companies, Trends By Types and Application, Forecast To 2024 - Science In Me - April 9th, 2020
- AWS: the worlds most comprehensive cloud platform - Gigabit Magazine - Technology News, Magazine and Website - April 6th, 2020
- Summit Hosting Offers 90 Days of Free Cloud Hosting to Help Small and Medium Businesses Operate Remotely During COVID-19 - Benzinga - April 6th, 2020
- Why large non-profits opt for small hosting companies over the cloud - BestTechie - April 6th, 2020
- Special Report on Cloud ERP in the Aftermath of COVID-19 to Be Hosted by ERP Advisors Group - EconomyWatch.com - April 6th, 2020
- On the tech horizon: Here's a look at what's coming across NC in May - WRAL Tech Wire - April 6th, 2020
- Top 9 Reasons Your District Should be Moving to the Cloud - STN Media - School Transportation News - April 1st, 2020
- MSPs: Time to Reinvent - Channel Futures - April 1st, 2020
- Global Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market 2020 Industry Statistics on Key Trends, Growth and Opportunities to 2025 - Monroe Scoop - April 1st, 2020
- Health Catalyst Launches Four Additional COVID-19 Solutions and a Modular Bundle - The Herald Journal - April 1st, 2020
- Tech pitches in to fight COVID-19 pandemic - Computerworld - April 1st, 2020
- Transitioning Your Enterprise Workload? Read This First - Forbes - March 23rd, 2020
- Hybrid cloud - The business infrastructure of tomorrow - Techerati - March 23rd, 2020
- On the horizon: 57 meetups, conferences & networking events across NC in April - WRAL Tech Wire - March 23rd, 2020
- Everyone needs the cloud now more than ever. So understand AWS, Azure and more for under $25. - The Next Web - March 21st, 2020
- Zoom warns investors they may become a victim of their own success as costs spiral - MSPoweruser - MSPoweruser - March 21st, 2020
- Leostream to the Remote Access Rescue - Associated Press - March 21st, 2020