As things stand, the travel industry is facing intense short-, medium- and long-term uncertainty.
No-one really knows what the future holds, other than the fact that handling uncertainty is now a priority for suppliers, sellers and technology partners.
At the height of the first phase of COVID-19, industry cheerleaders were talking about a timeframe for travel to return to normal. But as a second wave lurks in the shadows, those cheerleaders have been silenced. Its not about travel returning to normal, its about travel returning at all.
For our SME clients, uncertainty manifests itself across the entire operation. But weve identified that the most business-critical aspect of uncertainty for SMEs at least - relates to the cost of doing business. Fixed costs when there is no revenue, or even the realistic prospect of an uplift in revenue, is kryptonite for SMEs.
What SMEs need from their tech partners is for the costs of doing business to align with the volumes of business transacted. Cloud-hosted SaaS models were around before the first phase of COVID-19, and the benefits of the cloud over on-premise are even more compelling in the current uncertain climate.
A "pay as you go" approach serves two purposes travel companies can not only minimize current costs in the near-term but also scale up if and when travel comes back, still with costs in synch with volume.
"Pay as you grow" is an enterprise software phrase which could become familiar in travel as many SMEs demand commercial terms from their tech partners which reflect the uncertainty over future revenue streams.
Other pre-Covid-19 cloud benefits are also important. Cloud hosting supports easier and quicker implementation of new products, services and upgrades. This frees up of internal resources away from tech and IT, at a time when your staff should all be concentrating less on support and more on selling.
Wbe.travel has always been cloud based. We know how the cloud works, technically and commercially, and what it can bring to the table. We have developed a platform for the post-COVID age, WBE.start, which allows travel companies to operate in the current uncertain climate.
Travel companies can access inventory from big GDSs, bedbanks and consolidators via a single platform under a SaaS model, all integrable with mid and back office components and which can be installed from scratch and live within hours rather than weeks. This "core" can be added to as the business grows or finds a need for additional content.
However, despite our status as an early adopter and advocate, we accept that some travel tech companies are still reticent to move their operations to the cloud. Pre-COVID rationale - security, privacy and commercial sensitivities - are still in play.
But our take is that the risk/reward balance has changed. The risk to tech companies wedded to an on-premise model is that their clients are no longer willing to commit to monthly licence fees, installation costs, maintenance charges because of the uncertainty.
The risk of existing clients switching to a partner with a more flexible approach rather than renewing is real; the risk of the pipeline drying up and prospects disappearing is real, the loss of market share is real.
Across travel and mainstream media there has been a lot of column inches devoted to how travelers' buying patterns and behaviours have changed as a result of COVID-19 shorter booking windows, domestic before international, better health and safety information Our expertise is in travel tech rather than travel, but we see a connection here because the tech buying patterns of our target audience have changed too.
Our SME clients have traditionally been more sensitive to technology costs and have the benefitted from cloud-based partnerships. But we are also hearing that there is no appetite for big tech investments, even from the global blue-chip giants which are suffering in their own way, on a scale that is relevant to them and their competitors.
This creates a dilemma for a large technology company with an on-premise model - the budget to move operations to the cloud simply isn't there, however compelling the reasons.
We think that some big tech payers will actually double-down on their commitment to on-premise because that's how they've always operated.
When everything is uncertain, some bigger players might be thinking, "why risk losing the annual licensing deals and recurring revenues upon which the business has been built, in exchange for the variable income stream from an SaaS model?"
Our response is that the fixed tech cost model is no longer viable for many travel companies in the current climate because of the uncertainty about future booking trends.
Even travel sellers which had the scale pre-COVID to justify on-premise partners are likely to be looking at their cost base and wondering if their on-premise partners have any flexibility. Chances are the answer is no.
The commercial relationship between sellers, suppliers and tech partners cannot but change as a result of a seismic shift in how the world travels. Flexibility in terms of the cost of doing business is essential.
Cloud-based SaaS models are the best way to bring flexibility to the travel industry, and there are many options out there for businesses looking to take the leap.
- Application Hosting Market Overview with Qualitative analysis, Competitive landscape & Forecast by 2027 - The Market Feed - November 30th, 2020
- 10 questions every agency should ask their managed hosting provider - The Drum - November 30th, 2020
- Application Hosting Market by Key Players, Product and Production Information analysis and forecast to 2026 - Murphy's Hockey Law - November 30th, 2020
- EdgeConnex Collaborates with Zenlayer to Improve Cloud Adoption - Database Trends and Applications - November 30th, 2020
- Radware Ranked by Gartner in Critical Capabilities for Cloud Web Application and API Protection Report - GlobeNewswire - November 30th, 2020
- Cloud ITSM Market Latest Report with Forecast to 2028 - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - November 30th, 2020
- January is going to be a very eventful month here's an exclusive look at what's on the calendar - WRAL Tech Wire - November 30th, 2020
- Cloud Computing | RackCloudSpace | The Magazineplus - The Magazine Plus - November 28th, 2020
- Sagenext Relies on phoenixNAP to Deliver Superior Tax and Accounting Software Hosting Services - PR Web - November 28th, 2020
- Dundee City Council has moved IT workloads to the Cloud - DatacenterDynamics - November 28th, 2020
- VMware Reports Fiscal Year 2021 Third Quarter Results - Web Hosting | Cloud Computing | Datacenter | Domain News - Daily Host News - November 28th, 2020
- Automation to shape cybersecurity activities in 2021 - Help Net Security - November 28th, 2020
- Professional Services Automation Market Share, Size, Analysis, Growth, Industry Statistics and Forecast 2025 - Khabar South Asia - November 28th, 2020
- End-user spending on India public cloud to rise nearly 30% next year - iTWire - November 28th, 2020
- This Week in Jobs DE: Gigs and giblets for the hungry job hunter - Technical.ly Delaware - November 28th, 2020
- Financial services companies are starting to use the cloud for big data and AI processing - TechRepublic - November 19th, 2020
- Latest Update 2020: Cloud Hosting Service Market by COVID19 Impact Analysis And Top Manufacturers: A2 Hosting, SiteGround, InMotion, HostGator,... - November 19th, 2020
- ICE plans $100 million in cloud spend on AWS and Azure - DatacenterDynamics - November 19th, 2020
- The Hyper Digitization Era Blessing in disguise for the technology industry - Web Hosting | Cloud Computing | Datacenter | Domain News - Daily Host... - November 19th, 2020
- 'China-Backed Hacking Group' Allegedly Works on Global Campaign Targeting Automotives, Pharmaceutica - Tech Times - November 19th, 2020
- Application Hosting Market Report Examines Analysis by Latest Trends, Growth Factors, Key Players and Forecast to 2028 - TechnoWeekly - November 19th, 2020
- Latest Study explores the Microserver Market Witness Highest Growth in near future - AlgosOnline - November 19th, 2020
- DLT Solutions Bolsters Hybrid Cloud, AI, Security and Other Software Offerings for the U.S. Public Sector with IBM Solutions - Inside NoVA - November 19th, 2020
- 8 Valuable Tips for Securing your Data on the Cloud in 2020 - DC Velocity - November 10th, 2020
- Public Cloud: The Indispensable Component for Businesses - HostReview.com - November 10th, 2020
- Datto Announces Third Quarter 2020 Financial Results Conference Call - Web Hosting | Cloud Computing | Datacenter | Domain News - Daily Host News - November 10th, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market Size, Drivers, Potential Growth Opportunities, Competitive Landscape, Trends And Forecast To 2027 - Eurowire - November 10th, 2020
- Google Cloud and OVHcloud team up for European 'trusted cloud solution' partnership - Cloud Tech - November 10th, 2020
- Microsoft: New VS Code update is out plus here's what GitHub Codespaces will cost - ZDNet - November 10th, 2020
- Cloud service provider DC Two to float on the ASX as DC2 - iTMunch - November 10th, 2020
- Global It Infrastructure Services Market Analysis and Forecast to 2026 by Recent Trends, Development and Regional Growth Overview - Zenit News - November 10th, 2020
- Global Sales Force Automation Software Market Size, Analytical Overview, Growth Factors, Demand, Trends and Forecast to 2025 - AlgosOnline - November 10th, 2020
- SAP HANA Hosting Super-Powered by WorldPosta's Cloud "Pool of Resources" - PR Web - November 8th, 2020
- Global Cloud Hosting Service Market 2020 | Know the Companies List Could Potentially Benefit or Loose out From the Impact of COVID-19 | Top Companies:... - November 8th, 2020
- Create your own VPN for pennies with the cheapest virtual compute instance around - TechRadar - November 8th, 2020
- Web Hosting Services Market 2020 and Forecast 2021-2027 Includes Business Impact Analysis of COVID-19 - Eurowire - November 8th, 2020
- How IONOS is looking towards privacy and Europe for a solid share of the cloud market - Cloud Tech - November 8th, 2020
- Cloud Infrastructure Services Market Research, Size, Share Analysis by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application to 2026 - PRnews Leader - November 8th, 2020
- Cloud Computing Market Analysis, COVID-19 Impact,Outlook, Opportunities, Size, Share Forecast and Supply Demand 2021-2027|Trusted Business Insights -... - November 8th, 2020
- What is web hosting? - Creative Bloq - November 8th, 2020
- The Enterprise of Tomorrow, Built on the Cloud and Edge - ETCIO.com - November 8th, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market 2020 | Size and Forecast Research 2025 With Covid-19 Impact Analysis And Top Performing Players (Amazon Web... - November 8th, 2020
- Global Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market Expected To Reach Highest CAGR By 2026: Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft, Tata Communications,... - November 8th, 2020
- Application Hosting Market Analysis and In-depth Research on Size, Trends, Emerging Growth Factors and Forecasts 2026 - PRnews Leader - November 8th, 2020
- Cloud Computing Market 2020 and Forecast 2021-2027 Includes Business Impact Analysis of COVID-19 - Eurowire - November 8th, 2020
- Application Hosting Market To Witness Significant Growth By 2020-2028 - TechnoWeekly - November 8th, 2020
- Application Hosting Market by Application Analysis, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies And Forecast by 2026 - Eurowire - November 8th, 2020
- Digital.com Announces Best WordPress Hosting Companies of 2020 - PR Web - November 8th, 2020
- Edge Data Solutions, Inc. Adds Joshua Holmes, Managing Partner of Lightspeed Hosting, LLC to the Advisory Board - GlobeNewswire - November 8th, 2020
- Cloud Hosting Service Market Manufacturing Cost Structure | Growth Opportunities, COVID 19 Drivers and Restraints to 2027: ,A2... - October 29th, 2020
- Webscale Partners With Redstage to Deliver World-Class Security and Scale to Global B2B/B2C Brands - GlobeNewswire - October 29th, 2020
- Health Care Cloud and Hosting Market Precise Summary of Regions Evolving, Technology, Trends | Forecast Up To 2026 Landa, Wedderburn, Giave, Greydon,... - October 29th, 2020
- Mission launches its most comprehensive AWS Managed Cloud Service with Mission Cloud One - Web Hosting | Cloud Computing | Datacenter | Domain News -... - October 29th, 2020
- Southeast Asia Web Hosting Services Market 2020 Future Trends Analysis, Explosive Factors of Revenue by Manufacturing Size, Share and Forecast to 2026... - October 29th, 2020
- Bury cloud hosting firm's profits soar during the coronavirus crisis - Bury Times - October 24th, 2020
- Trends in the Ready To Use Cloud Hosting Service Market 2020-2020 - TechnoWeekly - October 24th, 2020
- DevOps Introduction, Lifecycle, and Evolution - Web Hosting | Cloud Computing | Datacenter | Domain News - Daily Host News - October 24th, 2020
- Reltio Executive to Discuss the Data-Driven Experience Economy at the Hosting + Cloud Transformation Summit 2020 - Monterey County Weekly - October 24th, 2020
- IDC Industry Will Benefit from the Growth of Cloud Computing GDS to be Listed on the HKEx - Yahoo Finance Australia - October 24th, 2020
- Cloud Hosting Service Market 2020 Showcases Capable Growth After Covid-19 Pandemic with Top Manufacturers: DreamHost, GoDaddy, HostGator, InMotion,... - October 24th, 2020
- Southeast Asia Web Hosting Services Market Statistical Forecasts Based on 2020 COVID-19 Worldwide Spread and Top Players Amazon Web Services, AT... - October 24th, 2020
- Global Application Hosting Market : Industry Analysis and forecast 2020 2027: By Service Type, Hosting Type, Deployment, Enterprise Size,... - October 24th, 2020
- Trends in Application Hosting Market 2026 by Production Market Analysis and Regional Market Performance - PRnews Leader - October 24th, 2020
- Application Hosting Market 2019 Share, Size, Future Demand, Global Research, Top Leading player, Emerging Trends, Region by Forecast to 2027 - The... - October 24th, 2020
- Cloud ITSM Market Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast 2018 2028 - The Think Curiouser - October 24th, 2020
- Managing the Evolving Security Threat Landscape - Security Boulevard - October 6th, 2020
- Oklahoma Hospital Selects Evident EHR and TruBridge RCM Solutions for Their Integration, Intuitive Workflows, and Financial Efficiencies - Business... - October 6th, 2020
- Rural Cloud Initiative Completes First Phase of the Farm of the Future - PRNewswire - October 6th, 2020
- Best Practices for Migrating SharePoint to Office 365 - The Sports Bank - October 6th, 2020
- A-List Osthoff Resort Positions for Travel Restart; Selects Maestro PMS During Industry Pause for Guest-Focused Mobile Services and Integrated... - October 6th, 2020
- VMware is making it easier for its customers to use Microsoft's cloud, but still considers Amazon its 'preferred partner' as AWS hosting for its... - October 5th, 2020
- The cost of website hosting for small businesses in 2020 - Startups.co.uk - October 5th, 2020
- A software to keep you on top of cloud security needs - DAWN.com - October 5th, 2020
- The Fall Technology Refreshes Are Almost Here - IT Jungle - October 5th, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market 2020 | Know the Latest COVID19 Impact Analysis And Strategies of Key Players: Amazon Web Services (AWS),... - October 2nd, 2020
- Aptum Releases Part One of Quarterly Cloud Impact Study - The Kingston Whig-Standard - October 2nd, 2020
- Accelerated Digital Transformation- The New Normal - Web Hosting | Cloud Computing | Datacenter | Domain News - Daily Host News - October 2nd, 2020
- Edge Computing Will Drive $7 Billion of Revenue by 2025 - HostReview.com - October 2nd, 2020
- The Inside-Out of the Digital-Transformation Strategies - Web Hosting | Cloud Computing | Datacenter | Domain News - Daily Host News - October 2nd, 2020
- Timico accepted into the Government (G-Cloud) framework - Bdaily - October 2nd, 2020