Teradata has become much more serious about working in the public clouds and Western Digital has an NVMe Express-bolstering present for its zoned QLC SSD initiative.
Legacy data warehouse Teradata has its head in the clouds in a seriously big way: AWS, Azure and GCP to be precise. Its pushing more features into its Vantage-as-a-service products on the Big 3 of cloud. Customers get:
There will be more to come over time.
The Amazon and Azure Vantage enhancements are available now. They will also apply to Vantage on Google Cloud Platform (GCP), which will begin limited availability in July 2020.
The NVMe Express consortium has ratified Western Digitals ZNS (Zoned Namespace) command set specification. WD has a pair of zoned storage initiatives aimed at host management of data placement in zones on storage drives.
For SMR (Shingled Magnetic Recording) HDDs:
For NVMe SSDs:
These are host-managed as opposed to the drives managing the zones themselves. That means system or application software changes. It also requires support by other manufacturers to avoid zoned disk or SSD supplier lock-in. This ratification helps make ZNS support by other SSD manufacturers more likely.
ZNS is applicable to QLC SSDs where data with similar access rates can be placed inseparate zones to reduce overall write amplification and so extend drive endurance. They can also provide improved I/O access latencies.
The ZNS specification is available for download under the Developers -> NVMe Specification section of thewww.nvmexpress.orgpublic web site, as an NVM Express 1.4 Ratified TP.
WD has been working with the open source community to ensure that NVMe ZNS devices are compatible with the Linux kernel zoned block device interface. It say this is a first step and modifications to well-known user applications and tools, such asRocksDB,Ceph, and the Flexible IO Tester (fio) performance benchmark tool, together with the newlibzbduser-space library, are also being released.
It claims public and private cloud vendors, all flash-array vendors, solid-state device vendors, and test and validation tool suppliers are adopting the ZNS standard but these are not named.
Blocks & Files thinks ZNS support by other SSD suppliers such as Samsung, Intel, and Micron will be essential before storage array manufacturers and SW suppliers adopt it with real enthusiasm.
WD claimed that, with a small set of changes to the software stack, users of host-managed SMR HDDs can deploy ZNS SSDs into their data centres. More from WD here.
Data warehouser Actian has announced GA of Vector for Hadoop. This is an upgraded SQL database with real-time and operational analytics not previously feasible on Hadoop. The SW uses patented vector processing and in-CPU cache optimisation technology to eliminate bottlenecks. Independentbenchmarksdemonstrated a more than 100X performance advantage with Vector for Hadoop over Apache Impala.
The Active Archive Alliance announced the download availability of a report: Active Archive and the State of the Industry 2020, which highlights the increased demand for new data management strategies as well as benefits and use cases for active archive solutions.
Backupper Assigra and virtual private storage array supplier Zadara announced that Sandz Solutions Philippines Inc. has deployed their the Cloud OpEX Backup Appliance to to defend its businesses against ransomware attacks on backup data.
AWS Snowcone uses a disk drive to provide its 8TB of usable storage, not an SSD.
Enterprise Information archiver Smarsh has Microsoft co-sell status and its Enterprise Archive offering is available on Azure for compliance and e-discovery initiatives. Enterprise Archive uses Microsoft Azure services for storage, compute, networking and security.
Taipei-based Chenbro has announced its RB133G13-U10; a custom barebones 1U chassis pre-fitted with dual Intel Xeon motherboard and ready to install two Intel Xeon Scalable processors with up to 28-cores, 165W TDP. There is a maximum of 2TB of DDR4 memory, 2X 10GbitE connectivity, 1X PCI-Ee Gen 3 x16 HH/HL expansion slot and support for up to 10X hot-swappable NVMe U.2 drives. It has Intel VROC, Apache Pass, and Redfish compliance.
France-based SIGMA Group, a digital services company specialising in software publishing,integration of tailor-made digital solutions, outsourcing and cloud solutions, has revealed it uses ExaGrid to store its own and customer backups, and replicate data from its primary site to its disaster recovery site.
Estonia-based Diaway has announced a strategic partnership withExceleroand the launch of a new product, DIAWAY KEILA powered by Excelero NVMesh. Component nodes use AMD EPYC processors, PCIe Gen 4.0, WD DC SN640 NVMe SSDs, and 100GbitE networking. Sounds like a hot, fast box set.
FalconStor can place ingested backup data on Hitachi Vantara HCP object storage systems. This means data ingested by FalconStor through its Virtual Tape Library (VTL), Long-Term Retention and Reinstatement and StorSafe offerings can be deduplicated and sent to an HCP target system. Physical tape can ingested by the VTL product and sent on to HCP for faster access archive storage.
Hitachi Vantara was cited as a Strong Performer in the Forrester Wave Enterprise Data Fabric, Q2 2020 evaluation. But Strong Performers are second to Leaders and the Leader suppliers were Oracle, Talend, Cambridge Semantics, SAP, Denodo Technologies, and IBM. Hitachi V was accompanied asa Strong Performer by DataRobot, Qlik, Cloudera, Syncsort, TIBCO Software, and Infoworks. Well done Hitachi V but no cigar.
Backupper HYCU has a Test Drive for Nutanix Mine with HYCU initiative. Customers can try out Nutanix Mine with HYCU at their own pace, with in-depth access and hands-on experience by launching a pre-configured software trial.
Data protector HubStor tells us it has revamped its company positioning as a SaaS-based unified backup and archive platform. Customer adoption remains strong and its adding one petabyte of data into the service each month as of recent months.
Chinas Inspur has gained the number 8 position in the SPC-1 benchmark rankings with an AS5500 G3 system scoring 3,300,292 SPC-1 IOPS, $295.73/SPC-1 KIOPS and an 0.387ms overall response time.
Seagates LaCie unit announced new 1big Dock SSD Pro (2TB and 4TB SSD capacities) and 1big Dock (4TB, 8TB, and 16TB HDD capacities) storage for creative professionals and prosumers. Both are designed by Neil Poulton to look good on your desktop. The 1big Dock SSD Pro is for editing data-intense 6K, 8K, super slow motion, uncompressed video, and VFX content. The 1big Dock has direct ingestion of content from SD cards, CompactFlash cards, and USB devices and serves as the hub of all peripherals, connecting to the workstation with a single cable.
Micron Solutions Engineering Lab recently completed a proof of concept using Weka to share a pool of Micron 7300 PRO with NVMe SSDs and obtained millions of IOPS from the file system. The testing used six nodes in a 4 + 2 (data + parity) erasure-coding configuration for data protection. Theres more information from Micron here.
Nutanix Foundation Central, Insights and Lifecycle Manager have been updated to enable Nutanix HCI Managers to do their work remotely.
Nutanix and HPE have pushed out some new deals with AMD-based systems offering better price/performance for OLTP and VDI workloads, ruggedised systems for harsh computing environments, certified SAP ERP systems, higher capacity storage for unstructured data, and turnkey data protection with popular backup software. More from Nutanix here.
Cloud data warehouser Snowflake, with an impending IPO, today announced general availability on Google Cloud in London. The UKs Greater Manchester Health and Social Care Partnership is using Snowflake in London. This follows Snowflakes general availability on Google Cloud in the US and Netherlands earlier this year.
Storage Made Easy (SME)has signed an EMEA-wide distribution agreement with Spinnakar for its Enterprise File Fabric, a single platform that presents and secures data from multiple sources, be that on-premises, a data centre, or the Cloud. The EFF provides provides an end-to-end brandable product set that is storage agnostic, and currently supports more than 60 private and public data clouds. It supports file and object storage solutions, including CIFS/NAS/SAN, Amazon S3 and S3 compatible storage, Google Storage and Microsoft Azure.
StorageCraft announced an upgrade of ShadowXafe, its data and system backup and recovery software. Available immediately, ShadowXafe 4.0 gives users unified management with the OneXafe Solo plug-and-protect backup and recovery appliance. It also has Hyper-V, vCenter and ESXi support and consolidated automated licensing and billing on ConnectWise Manage and Automate business management platforms.
StorOne has launched its Optane flash array, branding it S1:AFAn (All-Flash Array.Next) claiming its the highest-performing, most cost-effective storage system on the market today and a logical upgrade to ageing All-Flash Arrays. CompuTech International (CTI) is the distributor of StorONEs S1:AFAn. Use TRU price to run cost comparisons.
Europe-based SW-defined storage biz StorPool has claimed over40 per cent y-o-y growth in H1 2020 and a 73 per cent NPS score. New customers included a global public IT Services and consulting company, a leading UK MSP, one of Indonesias largest hosting companies, one of Netherlands top data centres, and a fast-growing public cloud provider in the UK. StorPool is profitable and hasnt had any funding rounds since 2015.
TeamGroup announced the launch of the T-FORCE CARDEA II TUF Gaming Alliance M.2 Solid State Drive (512GB, 1TB) and T-FORCE DELTA TUF Gaming Alliance RGB Gaming Solid State Drive (5V) (500GB, 1TB), both certified and tested by the TUF Gaming Alliance.
Frighteningly fast filesystem supplier WekaIO said it has been assigned a patent (10684799) for Flash registry with write levelling, and has forty more patents pending. Forty? Yes, forty.
- Bury cloud hosting firm's profits soar during the coronavirus crisis - Bury Times - October 24th, 2020
- Trends in the Ready To Use Cloud Hosting Service Market 2020-2020 - TechnoWeekly - October 24th, 2020
- DevOps Introduction, Lifecycle, and Evolution - Web Hosting | Cloud Computing | Datacenter | Domain News - Daily Host News - October 24th, 2020
- Reltio Executive to Discuss the Data-Driven Experience Economy at the Hosting + Cloud Transformation Summit 2020 - Monterey County Weekly - October 24th, 2020
- IDC Industry Will Benefit from the Growth of Cloud Computing GDS to be Listed on the HKEx - Yahoo Finance Australia - October 24th, 2020
- Cloud Hosting Service Market 2020 Showcases Capable Growth After Covid-19 Pandemic with Top Manufacturers: DreamHost, GoDaddy, HostGator, InMotion,... - October 24th, 2020
- Southeast Asia Web Hosting Services Market Statistical Forecasts Based on 2020 COVID-19 Worldwide Spread and Top Players Amazon Web Services, AT... - October 24th, 2020
- Global Application Hosting Market : Industry Analysis and forecast 2020 2027: By Service Type, Hosting Type, Deployment, Enterprise Size,... - October 24th, 2020
- Trends in Application Hosting Market 2026 by Production Market Analysis and Regional Market Performance - PRnews Leader - October 24th, 2020
- Application Hosting Market 2019 Share, Size, Future Demand, Global Research, Top Leading player, Emerging Trends, Region by Forecast to 2027 - The... - October 24th, 2020
- Cloud ITSM Market Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast 2018 2028 - The Think Curiouser - October 24th, 2020
- Managing the Evolving Security Threat Landscape - Security Boulevard - October 6th, 2020
- Oklahoma Hospital Selects Evident EHR and TruBridge RCM Solutions for Their Integration, Intuitive Workflows, and Financial Efficiencies - Business... - October 6th, 2020
- Rural Cloud Initiative Completes First Phase of the Farm of the Future - PRNewswire - October 6th, 2020
- Best Practices for Migrating SharePoint to Office 365 - The Sports Bank - October 6th, 2020
- A-List Osthoff Resort Positions for Travel Restart; Selects Maestro PMS During Industry Pause for Guest-Focused Mobile Services and Integrated... - October 6th, 2020
- VMware is making it easier for its customers to use Microsoft's cloud, but still considers Amazon its 'preferred partner' as AWS hosting for its... - October 5th, 2020
- The cost of website hosting for small businesses in 2020 - Startups.co.uk - October 5th, 2020
- A software to keep you on top of cloud security needs - DAWN.com - October 5th, 2020
- The Fall Technology Refreshes Are Almost Here - IT Jungle - October 5th, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market 2020 | Know the Latest COVID19 Impact Analysis And Strategies of Key Players: Amazon Web Services (AWS),... - October 2nd, 2020
- Aptum Releases Part One of Quarterly Cloud Impact Study - The Kingston Whig-Standard - October 2nd, 2020
- Accelerated Digital Transformation- The New Normal - Web Hosting | Cloud Computing | Datacenter | Domain News - Daily Host News - October 2nd, 2020
- Edge Computing Will Drive $7 Billion of Revenue by 2025 - HostReview.com - October 2nd, 2020
- The Inside-Out of the Digital-Transformation Strategies - Web Hosting | Cloud Computing | Datacenter | Domain News - Daily Host News - October 2nd, 2020
- Timico accepted into the Government (G-Cloud) framework - Bdaily - October 2nd, 2020
- What factors to consider when choosing a web hosting company | - Daily Invest News - October 2nd, 2020
- InMotion Hosting Upgrades their Dedicated Servers with Latest Intel Xeon Scalable Technology - PRNewswire - October 2nd, 2020
- Cloud Storage Service Market 2020 By Key Players, Types, Applications, Countries, Market Size, Forecast To 2026 (Based On 2020 COVID-19 Worldwide... - October 2nd, 2020
- Oracle Live 2020 - not all ERP clouds are created equal. Oracle makes the public cloud ERP case - Diginomica - October 2nd, 2020
- Cloud Hosting Service Providers Market : Global Strategies and Insight driven transformation 2020 2026 - SG Research Sphere - September 29th, 2020
- Detailed Profiling of Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market (Covid-19 Updated) Insights 2020 to 2026 | Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft, Tata... - September 29th, 2020
- Two Scottish firms are listed on lucrative G-Cloud 12 framework - Insider.co.uk - September 29th, 2020
- What are the Key Benefits of NetApp Cloud Manager? - CIOReview - September 29th, 2020
- Airtel And Radware Partner to Offer Cloud Security Services to Businesses in India - GlobeNewswire - September 29th, 2020
- Health Care Cloud and Hosting Market Growth, Statistics, By Application, Production, Revenue & Forecast to 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - September 29th, 2020
- Application Hosting Market 2020 | What Is The Estimated Market Size In The Upcoming Years? - The Daily Chronicle - September 29th, 2020
- Cloud Hosting Service Providers Market 2020: Potential growth, attractive valuation make it is a long-term investment | Know the COVID19 Impact | Top... - September 29th, 2020
- Reporter's Notebook: I Live in the Best St. Cloud Neighborhood - WJON News - September 29th, 2020
- Pegasystems Inc expand its India leadership team - United News of India - September 29th, 2020
- Southeast Asia Web Hosting Services Market Research Report 2020-2026 By Players, Regions, Product Types & Applications | Amazon Web Services, AT... - September 29th, 2020
- Cloud 2020 In conversation with China Mobiles Eric Chiu - MyBroadband - September 29th, 2020
- An introduction to Alibaba cloud offerings - TechTarget - September 29th, 2020
- iland bridges major data protection gaps in Microsoft 365 - RealWire - September 29th, 2020
- TikTok won't be banned from US app stores. Here's why. - News@Northeastern - September 29th, 2020
- Railway Management System Market Will Reflect Significant Growth Prospects of US$ Mn during 2020-2025 with Major Key Player: ABB, Alstom, Ansaldo,... - September 29th, 2020
- Application Hosting Market Global Share, Segment Analysis, Growth Drivers And Forecast To 2028 - Crypto Daily - September 29th, 2020
- 2020 Call for Code Global Challenge Finalists Selected for Innovative Solutions to Take on COVID-19 and Climate Change - GISuser.com - September 29th, 2020
- Ace Cloud Hosting Announces Partnership With ICAT Systems - AiThority - September 22nd, 2020
- Jelastic PaaS Expanded for Educational Institutions with Reclaim Cloud Hosting - Web Hosting | Cloud Computing | Datacenter | Domain News - Daily Host... - September 22nd, 2020
- The travel forecast is uncertain, other than the presence of the cloud - PhocusWire - September 22nd, 2020
- Application Hosting Market Analysis, Revenue, Key Players, Trends, Growth, Size, Share and Forecast 2020 to 2028 - The Daily Chronicle - September 22nd, 2020
- Cloud-based solutions and hosting solutions are every country's overall development - Namibia Economist - September 22nd, 2020
- 5 IT spend trends to watch - CIO Dive - September 22nd, 2020
- U.S. Department of Commerce Publishes Transactions with ByteDance and Tencent That Are Prohibited Due to National Security Concerns Raised by TikTok... - September 22nd, 2020
- Cloud 2020 In conversation with Huaweis Ray Rui - MyBroadband - September 22nd, 2020
- GlobalOutlook enabling SMBs to be Productive during COVID-19 with its Fanatic Support - PR Newswire India - August 18th, 2020
- Jelastic PaaS Expanded for Educational Institutions with Reclaim Cloud Hosting in the USA, Canada and the United Kingdom - MyHostNews.com - August 18th, 2020
- Nuance Expands Availability of Cloud-Based Dragon Professional Anywhere Solution - Yahoo Finance - August 18th, 2020
- API integration of microservices needs more than a service mesh - Diginomica - August 18th, 2020
- Cloud Repatriation: Why It's More Than 'Just' Public Cloud Retreat - ITPro Today - August 18th, 2020
- Geotab Achieves FedRAMP Authorization for Its Cloud-Based Telematics Platform - Business Wire - August 18th, 2020
- Multi-Vital Ambulatory Monitor for COVID-19 Patients Launches in the US - - HIT Consultant - August 18th, 2020
- Technology Management Concepts Honored as a 'Top 100 VAR' for the 'Bob Scott's Top VAR 100' & the 'AccountingToday 2020 VAR 100' Lists - PR Web - August 18th, 2020
- Huawei is the main sponsor of the Cloud 2020 Conference - MyBroadband - August 18th, 2020
- Application Hosting Market 2020| Global Share, Comprehensive Analysis, Size, Covid-19 Analysis, Future Estimations and Key Industry Segments Poised... - August 18th, 2020
- In Contrast to 'Permanent Remote Work,' VMware Messaging Touts 'Return-to-Office' - Virtualization Review - August 18th, 2020
- New Island provides full ITSM capabilities from AWS with locally hosted BMC Helix - Intelligent CIO Africa - August 18th, 2020
- IT infrastructure that's agile - ITWeb - August 18th, 2020
- Jelastic PaaS Expanded for Educational Institutions with Reclaim Cloud Hosting in the USA, Canada and the United Kingdom - HostReview.com - August 10th, 2020
- Big Boom In Health Care Cloud and Hosting Market With A Growing CACR During 2020-2027| Med Tech Solutions Inc, Rackspace, Health Catalyst, OVH Cloud,... - August 10th, 2020
- Verizon Business Plans to Simplify and Accelerate E2E IoT Solution with Microsoft Azure - The Fast Mode - August 10th, 2020
- What you should know when creating your own website - MyBroadband - August 10th, 2020
- Palomino Inc. Completes Acquisition of GCIS Inc. to Grow Cloud Hosting and Business Application Support in Times of COVID-19 - Yahoo Finance - August 8th, 2020
- Cloud Infrastructure Services Market Research Report by Service Type, by Organization Size, by Deployment, by Vertical - Global Forecast to 2025 -... - August 8th, 2020
- Cloud Hosted vs. On-Premise vs. Self Hosted vs. Private Cloud PMS: All Platforms Have Advantages; Which is Right for You? | By Warren Dehan -... - August 8th, 2020
- Capital One to pay $80M penalty over 2019 data breach - Banking Dive - August 8th, 2020
- 16 reasons why you should move your backup to a NZ-hosted solution - IT Brief New Zealand - August 8th, 2020
- All PMS Platforms Have Advantages, But Which One is Right for Your Hotel? | - Hotel Technology News - August 8th, 2020
- Bare metal vs dedicated servers: which is the better web hosting option? - ITProPortal - August 8th, 2020