There arent many good things to come out of the coronavirus outbreak but the pandemic might (inadvertently) change the way we view tech forever.
From remote working to people seeing their GP online, the world is turning to technology to try and slow down the number of new cases of the virus.
There have already been dire warnings of an economic meltdown in the travel, sporting and hospitality sectors but could technology mitigate the impact and reduce the spread of the coronavirus in the process?
Tobias Alpsten is the CEO at iPLATO Healthcare and the creator of myGP app and has seen a big spike in requests from patients wanting to see the doctor via a video link.
Some clinicians use our tech to work from home, he said. It's a huge push now but it's too early to say that it has structurally changed the way that healthcare works.
Just like the rest of the health service, we're challenged to meet demand. There has never been a better time for patients and healthcare professionals to NOT visit the practice so remote consultation on myGP is, not unexpectedly, flying.
Outbound messaging to guide patients has doubled compared to a 'normal' month to over 1/2 million per day and the Covid-19 signpost that sits within the myGP appointment booking process has 80,000 views per day.
But with thousands of practices on the platform we also see the other end of the spectrum. We see some practices shutting down digital tools to go back to their old ways of working (phone during open hours to access services) in a desperate attempt to regain control of the situation. This usually results in a jammed switchboard and further confusion among patients.
Marc Schmid is the founder of Lancashire-based Redmoor Health, which specialises in applying tech digital solutions on the frontline of health and social care, and believes the coronavirus has changed primary healthcare forever.
Its unprecedented, he said. "Its changing the way organisations work, not just in the health sector but also in business. Do people need to have that face-to-face meeting? Were using Microsoft Team a lot. Ive said to our team that we dont need to be sitting in the same room. A lot of business can be done remotely.
The current situation has highlighted a lot of gaps around some peoples access to technology, especially the elderly. If you havent got access to iPads how to you stop people getting socially isolated?
Even before the coronavirus outbreak Schmid championed the case for more GP video consultations to cope with rising demand.
He said: Theres been a huge push in the use of video from GP practices - not just to prevent patients having to mix but also to protect the staff as some people with obvious symptoms still find it acceptable to ignore advice and turn up at GP practices, putting the health of staff and patients at risk. It is a terrible situation but I suspect primary care and how it is delivered will have changed forever.
Were supporting practices on the frontline to use technologies they have at their disposal. Were not visiting GPs because they dont want staff being put at undue risk. We have a number of practices in the Midlands and the North West who are doing everything online. Theyre keeping as many people out of the surgeries as possible.
The last thing we want is people going into practices and passing the virus onto GPs and reception staff.
Were connecting them with other GPs because they can learn off each other. This week were also going to do some digital drop-in sessions for GP practices and answering any questions that they may have.
Coronavirus has seen a huge increase in the number of people remote-working.
Companies big and small have been encouraging staff to work from home where possible.
Twitter told its employees to work from home to help stop the spread of the coronavirus and a lot of other smaller companies have been buying extra laptops and uploading a remote-access VPN connection to allow staff to connect to a private network from a remote location.
Cloud hosting firm UKFast offers a remote desktop service called FASTdesk that gives its customers access to their entire office desktop. It uses enterprise-grade technology from Citrix and is hosted on the cloud to enable employees to access their remote desktop in an instant.
Damian Hanson is a co-founder of Lancashire-based cloud-based phone system CircleLoop that is used by more than 4,000 UK businesses. Its completely application-based, which means that businesses can access their business phone numbers in the cloud-based system and use them on their existing devices.
Hanson told BusinessCloud: Due to coronavirus businesses are now implementing remote-working policies and CircleLoop just works anywhere on any device. Sign-ups for CircleLoop in the past week are 100 per cent higher than normal.
Sandbach-based Three Little Birds PR are specialists in travel, tourism and leisure, all sectors that have been badly hit by coronavirus.
MD and founder Sheila Manzano said their use of Office 365 had made a big difference. She said: As a small operation we are set up this way already. Perhaps similar sized companies to us that aren't using such platforms will implement them going forward. My team can remote work instantly without disruption to our services... although as a tourism PR agency we are naturally in a challenging period.
Award-winning entrepreneur Helen Tonks is the co-founder of Cheshire-based Hydraulics Online and said human contact wasnt a prerequisite of running a successful business.
I have said for a while that COVID-19 will change the way we behave and interact forever, she said. As it is, we already give remote, bespoke service to customers worldwide. We probably meet less than 2 per cent of our customers. But if the knowledge and service is there relationships can still flourish.
Many analysts are predicting that the coronavirus will be the catalyst for growth in the FinTech sector as people avoid high street banks.
Fast-growing Manchester-based instant messaging platform Nivo is designed to prevent people from ever having to phone service providers such as banks, lenders, insurance firms, utilities, telecoms and healthcare providers.
Polly Taylor-Pullen heads up business development at Nivo, tech start-up of the year and said: Our clients are telling us that they are able to carry on business as usual because of Nivo.
In fact, some (mainly commercial SME lenders) are saying they are receiving more digital applications through Nivo than ever before as people are turning to online journeys to apply for loans.
Follow this link:
Will coronavirus change the way we view tech? - BusinessCloud
- The impact of the coronavirus on the Health Care Cloud and Hosting Market Solid Analyzed Segmentation, Demand, Recent Share Estimation and Growth... - May 26th, 2020
- Southeast Asia Web Hosting Services Market 2020 by Company, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 - News Distinct - May 26th, 2020
- Apple @ Work: What are the best management options for Ubiquiti networks? - 9to5Mac - May 26th, 2020
- Organizations plan to migrate most apps to the cloud in the next year - Help Net Security - May 26th, 2020
- Texas planned to replace outdated unemployment system, but pandemic hit first - Longview News-Journal - May 26th, 2020
- Weekly Update: Global Coronavirus Impact and Implications on Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market Forecast Report Offers Key Insights, Key Drivers,... - May 26th, 2020
- Global Cloud-based Content Management Services Market Projected to Reach USD XX.XX billion by 2025- OpenText, IBM, Adobe Systems, Oracle, SDL,... - May 26th, 2020
- Vodafone Idea Recognised as Innovator of the Year at Red Hat Summit 2020 - Technuter - May 26th, 2020
- Cloud-based Database Market 2020 | Top Business Growing Strategies, Technological Innovation and Emerging Trends of Outlook To 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 23rd, 2020
- New study Global Cloud Based Database Market 2019 | Growth Opportunities, Investment Feasibility, Market Share And Forecast 2025 - Cole of Duty - May 23rd, 2020
- Disaster Recovery as a Service: Everything You Need to Know - The Fast Mode - May 23rd, 2020
- Cloud Hosting Companies Help Customers Contain Costs Winning Trust and Loyalty - EnterpriseAI - May 17th, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market Research, Size, Share Analysis By Manufacturers, Regions, Type And Application To 2025 - News Distinct - May 17th, 2020
- Illinois advances pioneering proposal for utility rate recovery of cloud computing investments - Utility Dive - May 17th, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 17th, 2020
- I.T. Ideas Inc. and Sytex Ltd win the 2020 Three Best Rated Award for Best IT Service Companies in Canada - PRUnderground - May 17th, 2020
- COVID-19: Responding to the business impacts of Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market: Extensive Analysis of Key Segments of the Industry and Emerging... - May 17th, 2020
- Global Healthcare Cloud Computing Market Outlook, Opportunities, Key Players, Growth, Competitive Landscape, Trends and Forecast by 2026 - Cole of... - May 17th, 2020
- These are the richest people in North Wales in 2020 - Daily Post - May 17th, 2020
- Global Cloud-based Database Market 2020 Growth, Innovations, Demand, Size, Revenue, Emerging Trends, Players, Type, Applications, New Development and... - May 17th, 2020
- Locked Down But Not Out, Hyderabadi Haleem Can Still Be Had this Ramzan - The Wire - May 17th, 2020
- Southeast Asia Web Hosting Services Market 2020 Benefits, Key Market Plans, Forthcoming Developments, Business Opportunities & Future Investments... - May 12th, 2020
- Bare Metal Cloud Market Industry Expected to Witness Significant Revenue Growth Through 2020-2025: IBM Corporation, Dell Inc., Rackspace Hosting Inc -... - May 12th, 2020
- ITRenew and Hydro66 Join Forces in Sweden to Reduce the Cost and Carbon Footprint of Hosting Data at Scale for Enterprises Across the EU - Yahoo... - May 12th, 2020
- Delivery Lead II - AWS job with AARP | 41014045 - Washington Post - May 12th, 2020
- Global Cloud Based Database Market Global Key Players, Trends and Technology Development Forecast to 2025. - Cole of Duty - May 12th, 2020
- Josiah Hincks ensure business continuity by going hosted with DPS - Legal Futures - May 12th, 2020
- Latest Update 2020: Infrastructure as a Service Market by COVID19 Impact Analysis And Top Manufacturers: Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft... - May 12th, 2020
- Warren Buffett Probably Won't Buy These 3 Stocks, but You Probably Should - The Motley Fool - May 10th, 2020
- GitHub gets a built-in IDE with Codespaces, discussion forums and more - TechCrunch - May 10th, 2020
- Putting people first to enable effective working from home - Business Post - May 10th, 2020
- Multi-Cloud Platforms Offer Up Key New Capabilities and Differentiation - CXOToday.com - May 10th, 2020
- 5 benefits of switching to cloud hosting - KnowTechie - May 4th, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market Size by Top Key Players, Growth Opportunities, Incremental Revenue , Outlook and Forecasts to 2026 - Latest Herald - May 4th, 2020
- Health Care Cloud and Hosting Market Size by Top Key Players, Growth Opportunities, Incremental Revenue , Outlook and Forecasts to 2026 - Latest... - May 4th, 2020
- Top 10 Cloud Technology Market Expected to Witness Significant Growth in the Forecast Years 2017-2025 - Latest Herald - May 4th, 2020
- Yellowbrick Partners With ScaleMatrix to Expand Free Solution for COVID-19 Vaccine Research - Business Wire - May 4th, 2020
- June events 'on the horizon': Previewing more than 50 events across NC - WRAL Tech Wire - May 4th, 2020
- Battle Royale: Which of These Indian Video Conferencing Apps Would Win Govt Challenge? - 360TopNews - May 4th, 2020
- Cloud Hosting Service Market Overview, Top Companies, Region, Application and Global Forecast by 2026 - Latest Herald - April 28th, 2020
- Without cloud computing, businesses would now be in even deeper trouble - ZDNet - April 28th, 2020
- Southeast Asia Web Hosting Services Market Size, Share, Application Analysis, Regional Outlook, Growth Trends, Key Players, Competitive Strategies and... - April 28th, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market Overview, Top Companies, Region, Application and Global Forecast by 2026 - Latest Herald - April 28th, 2020
- Keep the cash flowing in your recruitment business - Onrec - April 28th, 2020
- CANCOM: Very high growth rates in the cloud segment and recurring revenues in the financial year 2019; moderate growth of Group expected for 2020. -... - April 28th, 2020
- Southeast Asia Web Hosting Services Market Innovations, Revenue Analysis, Competitive Landscape and Trends by Forecast 2025 - Latest Herald - April 28th, 2020
- Triangle event headliners: Previewing 70 events & deadlines through the end of May - WRAL Tech Wire - April 28th, 2020
- COVID-19 and the Migration to SAP S/4 HANA - JD Supra - April 23rd, 2020
- Provide remote access with cloud hosting - InnovationMap - April 23rd, 2020
- Case study: How to quickly build and deliver a cloud-agnostic product - Cloud Tech - April 23rd, 2020
- SVG SportsTech On Demand: EEG's John Voorheis on the Role of Falcon, Lexi in Live Stream Captioning - Sports Video Group - April 23rd, 2020
- Southeast Asia Web Hosting Services Market 2020 Demand, Trend, Latest Techniques, Innovations, Applications, Analysis and 2025 Industry Growth... - April 23rd, 2020
- 4 Reasons to Move to QuickBooks Hosting in 2020 - HostReview.com - April 22nd, 2020
- Laplink Helps IT Transition to Azure Active Directory with Free Migration Tool - Yahoo Finance - April 22nd, 2020
- Considering a move from colocation to cloud? Here's how to build a solid business case - Techerati - April 22nd, 2020
- Scaleway disarms its ARM64 cloud, cites unreliable hardware as the reason - The Register - April 22nd, 2020
- AWS doubles the performance of its Snowball Edge device and adds new software - SiliconANGLE - April 22nd, 2020
- AWS Cape Town region goes live - MyBroadband - April 22nd, 2020
- Valuation Risks Keep DocuSign Stock From Being a Buy - Investorplace.com - April 22nd, 2020
- Cloud hosting firm anticipating strong revenue and EBITDA improvements - The Business Desk - April 20th, 2020
- Cloudflare wants to put an end to BGP hijacking and leaks - TechRadar - April 20th, 2020
- CHILI publish Introduces CHILI publisher Online the SaaS Editing Solution for All Web2print Service Providers - What They Think - April 20th, 2020
- 8 Takeaways and Recommendations for the Age of AI in Asia - Fintech News Singapore - April 20th, 2020
- Business Continuity in the Wake of COVID-19 - Techwire.net - April 20th, 2020
- Remote learning: Telecom providers must come to the party - Daily Maverick - April 20th, 2020
- VAST Data's latest funding round has the company valued at $1.2B - DataCenterNews North America - April 20th, 2020
- Cloud Hosting vs Dedicated Server Hosting Which one is better? - PC-Tablet - April 9th, 2020
- Southeast Asia Web Hosting Services Market Research Report: Market Analysis on the Future Growth Prospects and Market Trends Adopted by the... - April 9th, 2020
- Demand for e-learning continues to grow as Moodle announces their newest Certified Moodle Partner: South Africa-based company The Training Room Online... - April 9th, 2020
- Data Center Outsourcing and Hybrid Infrastructure Managed Services Market What Factors will drive the Data Center Outsourcing and Hybrid... - April 9th, 2020
- Latest Technology Trends in Business - 1redDrop - April 9th, 2020
- Global Video Hosting Software Market Analysis, Growth By Top Companies, Trends By Types and Application, Forecast To 2024 - Science In Me - April 9th, 2020
- AWS: the worlds most comprehensive cloud platform - Gigabit Magazine - Technology News, Magazine and Website - April 6th, 2020
- Summit Hosting Offers 90 Days of Free Cloud Hosting to Help Small and Medium Businesses Operate Remotely During COVID-19 - Benzinga - April 6th, 2020
- Why large non-profits opt for small hosting companies over the cloud - BestTechie - April 6th, 2020
- Special Report on Cloud ERP in the Aftermath of COVID-19 to Be Hosted by ERP Advisors Group - EconomyWatch.com - April 6th, 2020
- On the tech horizon: Here's a look at what's coming across NC in May - WRAL Tech Wire - April 6th, 2020
- Top 9 Reasons Your District Should be Moving to the Cloud - STN Media - School Transportation News - April 1st, 2020
- MSPs: Time to Reinvent - Channel Futures - April 1st, 2020
- Global Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market 2020 Industry Statistics on Key Trends, Growth and Opportunities to 2025 - Monroe Scoop - April 1st, 2020