In god we trust, all others must bring data, a line attributed to the American statistician, W. Edwards Deming, highlights the importance of statistical measurement and analysis in verifying facts and confirming their viability.
However, as the volume of data grows exponentially, this becomes far more difficult with each passing month.
While the fake news epidemic may be most noticeable on social media platforms, businesses face a similar challenge internally.
Misused, fictitious or ambiguous data can lead to serious errors in decision making, as well as reputation damage, and breaches of legislation that lead to costly fines.
Since the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) came into force, this has become increasingly important, as the legislation increases the onus on companies to make sure they know what data they store, where they store it and whether they are using it in a compliant, secure fashion.
Unlike fake news intended to sway public opinion or for comedic purposes, not all misinformation is driven by malicious intent.
In a business context, for example, it could be that those responsible for developing the insights have insufficient data, insufficient skills, or because they are intent on proving a pre-existing hypothesis.
The good news is that these oversights can be remedied with a three-pronged approach: moderation, management and transparency.
This is where the emerging roles of the data curator and data protection officer (DPO) come in.
Just as a successful museum curator sorts through masses of exhibits and information to pull together the right pieces to tell a story, so does his data counterpart, who curates data to be a successful driver of business decisions.
The DPO ensures governance and promotes responsibility. In the era of GDPR and data-driven business, the time has come for businesses to own responsibility for the data they hold, and how they use it.
Under GDPR, companies have to be transparent with their customers about what data they have about them, why they have it, and what they are doing with it.
Ensuring that the file metadata is kept up to date with the correct data lineage will be crucial for organisations. This is because it will allow organisations to catalogue any revisions, noting when and how the data was created and changed.
Join the Debate
Time is precious, but news has no time. Join Data Economys LinkedIn debate page today and get access to content in real-time.
This will be invaluable for reinforcing the integrity of data analysis by providing a clear modification history allowing any unexpected changes to be monitored and amended.
This ethos can be seen in Wikipedias operation model, which is based on open collaboration with transparent records of what content has been changed, by whom and when.
The result is a carefully decentralised service which seeks to consistently provide reliable and balanced information.
This is an ethos that businesses can learn from in their quest to remove bias and siloing from within organisations creating a shared neutral platform of carefully curated data.
However, even with fully transparent data management, oversight is still needed to make sure that the changes being made fit within the structures and rules of the organisation and industry.
This is where a self-service governance model is important allowing users to add content, consume it and edit it, but within the confines of an established set of rules that the data curator can oversee.
In other words, everyone is responsible for ensuring data accuracy at the employee level.
This ethos combined with the data curators framework of rules ensures that data is kept accurate, labelled and tested, which is key for data discovery as well as analysis and data enrichment.
Similarly, with the vast amount of information available to todays businesses, the data potential can feel like a data overload.
With the rising decentralisation of information within organisations thanks to the proliferation of resources like the Internet, employees often need to pull from multiple channels of information which need to be managed and collated effectively before they can be used. The data curator is an essential part of this process.
The GDPRs requirement for many larger companies to appoint a data protection officer cements this into the fabric of organisations creating a central figure who informs and advises the organisation on data protection compliance.
This central figure who is tasked with ensuring the ongoing validity of data utilisation is a valuable asset for companies of all sizes looking to make reliable, actionable decisions based on data.
Well, thats the theory at least. According to the Talends second annual GDPR Benchmark research, over half of the companies surveyed were not able to meet data access and portability requests within the GDPR-specified one-month time limit.
In practice, companies do not adequately track personal information and often nobody has been mandated in a tightly-defined way to manage the processes, to set best practices and provide the technological solutions.
Having a DPO in place can also transform GDPR into a business driver and a competitive differentiator.
The DPO will put in place the necessary strategy and processes, work with the IT department to select the right tools and will bring all the data workers and business users together.
As a result, he or she will ensure the company has a strong sense of data ownership. This ownership leads towards a common sense of data protection and a general agreement on the data governance strategy to put in place.
The appointment of a DPO is the first and probably the most important step towards a well-governed and responsible data management strategy.
Moderating the dataprocess
Overseeing the data process is one of the core responsibilities for data curators. In the social media world, we see companies like Facebook employing over 4,500 content moderators whose job it is to monitor user-uploaded content for any unsuitable material.
Time is precious, but news has no time. Sign up today to receive daily free updates in your email box from the Data Economy Newsroom.
In the business world, this will mean ensuring the data that is uploaded, amended and shared is kept up to date and accurate.
One of the areas where moderation will be particularly important is with the increasing use of AI and big data analytics within organisations.
Inputting historically inaccurate data into the program will cause inaccurate suggestions for the future in human resources, this could manifest as bias, in sales, this could mean one product being mistakenly targeted at the wrong audience or to the detriment of other offerings.
A human operator who is responsible for spotting anomalous results, and checking the data that informed these findings, is crucial for ensuring that decisions based on data are reliable and accurate.
This ensures that data offers businesses a competitive edge and business advantage.
The impact of successful data curatorship is hard to overstate surveys from the likes of CrowdFlower estimate that 80% of data scientists time is spent on preparing data for analysis, compared to just 20% on analysis.
However, with a data curator on board, organisations could significantly reduce this time by improving data quality, data accessibility and data integrity.
As a result, organisations stand to benefit with class-leading, industry compliant insights, rather than being overwhelmed by the data tidal wave.
So, becoming more data-conscious and responsible could be thought of as adding a Data Curator and Data Protection Officer.
If we assume that the DPO is also responsible for driving data awareness, the problem is partially solved.
Partially, because it is a collective effort which can be impactful if and only if people have sufficient knowledge about the data issues to question them.
Read the latest from the Data Economy Newsroom:
- Two new higher education institutions select OnBase hosted in the Hyland Cloud - PRNewswire - February 27th, 2020
- Cloud Hosting Service Market Types and Applications Outlook, Industry Drivers, Ongoing Trends, Future Demand, Challenges, Top Companies & Forecast... - February 27th, 2020
- Alibaba to give out free cloud to help businesses affected by Coronavirus - Data Economy - February 27th, 2020
- Arizona Health Information Exchange Launches NextGen Healthcare Health Data Hub to Improve the Physician Experience and Enhance Patient Care - Yahoo... - February 27th, 2020
- Financial organisations leading the way for hybrid cloud, Nutanix finds - DataCentreNews Europe - February 27th, 2020
- LINX Cardiff Becomes LINX Wales as Regional Internet Exchange Welcome NGD to the Network - RealWire - February 27th, 2020
- ServerCentral Turing Group and Digital Realty Expand Partnership for Hybrid Cloud Solutions - HostReview.com - February 27th, 2020
- How CPAs Can Have a Stronger IT Infrastructure - Accountingweb.com - February 22nd, 2020
- Cohere Cyber Secure announces Fully Integrated "Cyber-Managed Security as a Service" Targeting High-Demand Enterprises in Healthcare and... - February 22nd, 2020
- Software Asset Management Market 2020 Analysis, End Users, Business Growth, Top Key Players and Forecast to 2025 - News Times - February 22nd, 2020
- Cloud Hosting Service Market Insights with Statistics and Growth Prediction 2020 to 2026 - Instant Tech News - February 21st, 2020
- Will VMware's New Fees Trigger Rush to the Cloud? - Toolbox - February 21st, 2020
- Infoblox Core DDI and Cloud Platform appliance products are now certified as Nutanix Ready - Help Net Security - February 21st, 2020
- HMRC chief gives thumbs up to five-year cloud migration programme - PublicTechnology - February 21st, 2020
- How can government manage the growing digital market choice? - The Mandarin - February 21st, 2020
- The long read: 20 years in ITS - Highways Magazine - February 21st, 2020
- ResellerClub Turns 14, Celebrates With Big Birthday Bash Sale on Web Hosting and Servers - Yahoo Finance - February 18th, 2020
- Will Gaia-X deliver the independent cloud network Europe needs? - Techerati - February 18th, 2020
- 6 reasons why the cloud is great for your business - Techaeris - February 18th, 2020
- When Robotic Process Automation (RPA) bots break: 3 things to know - The Enterprisers Project - February 18th, 2020
- Right Networks Partners with Fintainium to Streamline Cloud-Based Accounting Services - JSA - February 18th, 2020
- STG Announces Partnership with Infosys Finacle to Bring Powerful Cloud Native Banking Platform to US Community Banks - PR Web - February 18th, 2020
- The Best Cloud Web Hosting Services for 2020 | PCMag - February 17th, 2020
- Mahomes Tech Interview Why Has This Web Hosting Company Become A Leader - Instant Tech News - February 17th, 2020
- Data Center Outsourcing and Hybrid Infrastructure Managed Services Market To Wi - News by aeresearch - February 17th, 2020
- Business Process as a Service Market Is Thriving Worldwide with CA technologies, Dell, International Business Machines - Nyse Nasdaq Live - February 17th, 2020
- Take care of ERP data security when moving to the cloud - TechTarget - February 17th, 2020
- Dish gets its day in the sun, becomes No. 4 US wireless carrier - FierceWireless - February 17th, 2020
- Three-year-old partner Solution Tech buys thirty-year-old partner Modern Computer System - CRN Australia - February 17th, 2020
- Cloud Hosting Service Providers Market investigated in the latest research - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - February 13th, 2020
- Mastering the complexity of multi-cloud in 2020 - Intelligent CIO ME - February 13th, 2020
- Weather Source uses Snowflake to keep ahead of extreme weather - ComputerWeekly.com - February 13th, 2020
- Video Hosting Software Market Investigation Highlights Growth Trends in the Coming Years: Wistia, Vimeo, BombBomb - Nyse Nasdaq Live - February 13th, 2020
- Innovative Report on Cloud-based Database Market with Competitive Analysis, New Business Developments and Top Companies: Amazon Web Services, Google,... - February 13th, 2020
- One.com buys its second Nordics web hosting firm in months - Data Economy - February 13th, 2020
- alwaysAI now open to meet growing demand from computer vision developers - PR Web - February 13th, 2020
- Matic nodes now available for deployment on the Ankr cloud - CryptoNinjas - February 10th, 2020
- The National Archives is looking for some more cloud - FedScoop - February 10th, 2020
- UKCloud survey reveals why public sector organisations are turning to multi-cloud - Intelligent CIO Africa - February 10th, 2020
- Build your own cloud infrastructure with Nextcloud and Collabora - IT PRO - February 10th, 2020
- Web hosting firms to take down unsavoury content without court orders - Law Society of Ireland Gazette - February 10th, 2020
- The Top 7 Google Cloud Books You Need to Read in 2020 - Solutions Review - February 8th, 2020
- Teresa Carlson, AWS Worldwide Public Sector VP, Named to 2020 Wash100 for Cloud Innovation, Business Expansion and New Educational Platforms -... - February 8th, 2020
- 7 online courses that will help you improve your technical skills - Ladders - February 8th, 2020
- Cloud Technology Solutions CEO on keeping pace with Google Clouds growth - NS Tech - February 8th, 2020
- Anurag Goel on Cloud Native Platforms, Developer Experience, and Scaling Kubernetes - InfoQ.com - February 8th, 2020
- Goodbye Google: Is it possible to live online without Google? - Stuff Magazines - February 8th, 2020
- 5 Companies That Came To Win This Week - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - February 8th, 2020
- Azubuike named Kareem Abdul-Jabaar Center of the Year Award finalist - Salina Post - February 8th, 2020
- WIPL enters into partnership with Plesk to offer fully integrated cloud hosting services in India - Web Hosting | Cloud Computing | Datacenter |... - February 6th, 2020
- What Type of Server Provides the Highest ROI? - Techiexpert.com - TechiExpert.com - February 6th, 2020
- Health Care Cloud and Hosting Market likely to touch new heights by end of fore - News by aeresearch - February 6th, 2020
- Health Care Cloud And Hosting Market 2020 Industry Trends, Opportunities and Forecast to 2026 - Instant Tech News - February 6th, 2020
- The 20 Coolest Cloud Infrastructure Companies Of The 2020 Cloud 100 - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - February 6th, 2020
- Five benefits of colocation: Why it should be part of your hybrid cloud strategy - Intelligent CIO ME - February 6th, 2020
- What Are the Benefits of Using Cloud Hosting Over Traditional One? - India West - January 30th, 2020
- IT Solutions & Services Provider Technologent Partners with Armor to Bring Cloud Security and Compliance Solutions to its Customers - Yahoo... - January 30th, 2020
- Hotel Operations in The Cloud: What Are Your Options? - Hospitality Net - January 30th, 2020
- Five New Domain Extensions Coming from XYZ in 2020 - Web Hosting | Cloud Computing | Datacenter | Domain News - Daily Host News - January 30th, 2020
- Hit Rail awarded hosting and operation of ProRail Common Interface - Global Railway Review - January 30th, 2020
- 4 contact center trends that drive customer experience - TechTarget - January 30th, 2020
- Improving Information Security with ISO 27001 - IDM.net.au - January 30th, 2020
- The 3 fundamentals of hybrid cloud architecture management - TechTarget - January 30th, 2020
- Data Protection Day: Why protection is better than a cure - Verdict - January 30th, 2020
- 2020 vision: edtech in 2020 with Ashley Cartwright - Education Technology - January 30th, 2020
- Cybersecurity in 2020: The rise of the CISO - MIT Technology Review - January 30th, 2020
- 'Financing the Future' with Barry Gross, Partner at BCLP Law - Finvest Summit Special - Data Economy - January 30th, 2020
- Ways In Which Cloud Hosting Affects SEO Services And Results - HostReview.com - January 13th, 2020
- Home Office reinforces commitment to AWS with 100m cloud hosting deal - ComputerWeekly.com - January 13th, 2020
- WSL 2: Where is it, and where is it going? - TechRepublic - January 13th, 2020
- The biggest govtech deals of the week (13/01/20) - NS Tech - January 13th, 2020
- Lost in Migration? Attributing carbon when outsourcing to cloud - Data Economy - January 13th, 2020
- UKCloud announces new discounts to help organisations thrive and build an increasingly independent national capability - RealWire - January 13th, 2020
- How Cloud Computing is Driving the Industrial Revolution 4.0 - Elets - January 13th, 2020
- Informatica expands its leadership team and appoints Amit Walia as CEO - Data Economy - January 8th, 2020
- Enhancing Hyperscale Cloud Growth at the infra // STRUCTURE Summit - Yahoo Finance - January 8th, 2020
- Green House Data Adds Digital Transformation Expert Victor Tingler to Executive Team to Lead Enterprise Consulting Services - Yahoo Finance - January 8th, 2020
- Five Things To Do in St. Cloud, Jan. 13-17 - SC Times - January 8th, 2020
- FASB cloud computing cost standard to soon take effect - Compliance Week - January 3rd, 2020
- Amazon, Google, Microsoft: Who had the best year in cloud in 2019? - The Register - January 3rd, 2020