The most pressing threat against clouds in healthcare today is the insufficient protection of sensitive data both where physical and logical safeguards are implemented, especially when new cloud technology is introduced to existing systems.
That is the conclusion of Howard Young, director, solutions architecture, at Zadara Storage, a hybrid cloud storage vendor that delivers enterprise storage as a fully managed service.
Often, protective controls are overlooked or missed in megalithic hyperscale clouds simply due to the sheer nature of the platform, whereas smaller, agile cloud providers may provide a better fit in the healthcare industry, he contended. Since the cloud is a third-party environment, routine security checks such as PEN testing are necessary to ensure environment configurations remain consistent and intact.
Young points to three aspects of cloud computing with regard to this pressing threat that healthcare CIOs and CISOs need to be aware of: physical, logical and evolution.
Howard Young, Zadara Storage
For physical, cloud servers and networking are physically protected within a data center, but what controls are in place when physical equipment is added or removed? What happens to your data on the failed drive that was removed? he pointed out. For logical, the healthcare deployment model within the cloud increases the likelihood of outside attacks and unauthorized access to patient data. For example, object storage has a public component, which has been a source of unintentional data breaches.
And for evolution, technology continues to improve, but with new each iteration, evaluating safeguards may become complex in the future, he added.
So how can healthcare CIOs and CISOs best defend against the threat of insufficient protection of sensitive data both where physical and logical safeguards are implemented? Young offers some advice.
Cloud deployment strategies are very straightforward when addressing this threat, he explained. At the physical layer, a hybrid cloud where CISOs have more control and insight of the configuration, protection and destruction of data, will provide better mapping to HIPAA requirements. The hybrid cloud then becomes an extension of the hyperscale cloud, which performs the edge operations. Hybrid clouds simply are secure network connections between the public providers and a colo or on-premises data center.
At the logical layer, deployment of workloads needs to be scrutinized against the security requirements for the given layer at which the workload operates, he advised. A simple way to do this is to categorize the framework into three security levels: red, yellow and green, where red has the highest security requirements and green is often a scrubbed-down presentation of the data to the end user at the edge, he explained.
Mapping a web app to this framework may then have a red security boundary for the database, a yellow boundary for cached or transient database lookups, and green for an https web page shown to the patient, he added.
Some requirements may map all to a red layer for highest security levels, he continued. An example of this is remote healthcare worker access using encrypted thin-client access to a workspace running within the cloud.
When new cloud functionality is integrated into the existing system, the primary concern is to maintain layers of separation otherwise processing artifacts or transient data may become an area of unwanted disclosure, Young warned. Take extra care when enabling capabilities that may make data publicly available elsewhere, he advised.
Twitter:@SiwickiHealthITEmail the writer:firstname.lastname@example.orgHealthcare IT News is a HIMSS Media publication.
- GIGABYTE Announces Servers are Ready for the 2nd Gen Intel Xeon Scalable Processors - HPCwire - February 25th, 2020
- Alternating Phase PDU as a Solution to Three Power Distribution in Data Centers - Data Center Frontier - February 25th, 2020
- Revolutionary Mellanox ConnectX-6 Dx SmartNICs and BlueField-2 I/O Processing Units Transform Cloud and Data Center Security - Yahoo Finance - February 25th, 2020
- 3 ways AI is transforming the insurance industry - The Next Web - February 25th, 2020
- BeyondTrust Expands Cloud Leadership with Privilege Management Delivered As-A-Service - GlobeNewswire - February 25th, 2020
- Nokia introduces cloud-native Assurance and Experience software to help CSPs move toward experience-driven and automated 5G network operations -... - February 25th, 2020
- Global Virtual Private Server Market (2019 to 2026) - CAGR of 16.2% Expected During the Forecast Period - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - February 25th, 2020
- Ride The Tiger: Micron Is Positioned To Become A Powerhouse - Seeking Alpha - February 25th, 2020
- MWC Canceled, GIGABYTE Turns Its Exhibition Digital and Showcases Multi-access Edge Computing Infrastructure to Realize 5G Networks - Yahoo Finance - February 25th, 2020
- TYAN Packs Lots of Performance in a 1U Package - Embedded Computing Design - February 25th, 2020
- Graphcore, the AI chipmaker, raises another $150M at a $1.95B valuation - TechCrunch - February 25th, 2020
- Dell at the Edge: Servers, Data Centers and Software for Deployment Anywhere - EnterpriseAI - February 21st, 2020
- Cohesity branches out data management software to ROBO and the edge - Blocks and Files - February 21st, 2020
- Data Center REITs: Battle Of The Clouds - Seeking Alpha - February 21st, 2020
- High-risk vulnerabilities and public cloud-based attacks on the rise - Help Net Security - February 21st, 2020
- Executive interview: Making IT sustainable - ComputerWeekly.com - February 21st, 2020
- Cloud Server Market Strategies and Insight Driven Transformation 2019-2025 - News Parents - February 21st, 2020
- Save $484 on Dell's PowerEdge small business server with this promo code - ZDNet - February 21st, 2020
- Evolution of Infrastructure as a Service - App Developer Magazine - February 21st, 2020
- Turn government paperwork into efficient workflows heres the proof - ITBusiness.ca - February 21st, 2020
- Locking Down the Kernel and Securing the Container - Container Journal - February 21st, 2020
- 13 Cloud-Based Services Every Tech Department Should Invest In - Forbes - February 19th, 2020
- Cohesity Announces First ROBO Solution That Combines Backup and Recovery, File and Object Services, and Cloud Archival on Certified Servers From Key... - February 19th, 2020
- G-Core spreads its cloud and edge connectivity to London - Data Economy - February 19th, 2020
- Outwood Trust Academies opts for cloud-like technology, without the cost - Diginomica - February 19th, 2020
- Snow Software-Embotics Named a Leader in the 2020 Gartner Magic Quadrant for Cloud Management Platforms for Second Straight Year - Yahoo Finance - February 19th, 2020
- Mapping in the Cloud - Offshore Engineer - February 19th, 2020
- Is there real benefit in cloud for SA businesses? - Bizcommunity.com - February 19th, 2020
- Atos and Microsoft join forces to deliver better SAP cloud performance - Data Economy - February 19th, 2020
- Spikes in High-Risk Vulnerabilities and Public Cloud-Based Attacks Dominate Threat Landscape, Imperva Researchers Find With New Cyber Threat Index -... - February 19th, 2020
- Apple Watch may have saved the life of a 13-year-old in Oklahoma - iMore - February 19th, 2020
- Asian Wealth Management and Asian Private Banking - CJC Expands Cloud Propositions With Launch of DACS in the Cloud Solution - Hubbis - February 19th, 2020
- Cloud misconfigurations expose over 33 billion records in two years - BetaNews - February 19th, 2020
- Veego Home Scoring Delivers Real-Time Evaluations of Connected-Home Quality - PR Web - February 19th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of 4704.T earnings conference call or presentation 18-Feb-20 7:00am GMT - Yahoo Finance - February 19th, 2020
- How Much Does It Cost To Build Cloud Computing Service? - Customer Think - February 15th, 2020
- Q&A: Digging Into the Channel Significance of the AppScale-Packet News - Channel Futures - February 15th, 2020
- How AI In Edge Computing Drives 5G And The IoT - SemiEngineering - February 15th, 2020
- Online voting takes another hit - GCN.com - February 15th, 2020
- Security Researchers Find Flaws in Online Voting System Tested in Five States - Mother Jones - February 15th, 2020
- Five cloud-based tools your business needs - IT PRO - February 15th, 2020
- DDoS report reveals that the complexity and volume of attacks continues to grow - Continuity Central - February 15th, 2020
- How To Fill Your Data Lakes And Not Lose Control Of The Data - Forbes - February 15th, 2020
- The Biometric Threat by Jayati Ghosh - Project Syndicate - February 15th, 2020
- Throwing Down The Gauntlet To CPU Incumbents - The Next Platform - February 15th, 2020
- China retreats online to weather coronavirus storm - The Jakarta Post - Jakarta Post - February 15th, 2020
- Global IT Security Market Size, Share, Growth Rate and Gross Margin, Industry Chain Analysis, Development Trends & Industry Forecast Report 2025 -... - February 15th, 2020
- X-Force Threat Intelligence Index Reveals Top Cybersecurity Risks of 2020 - Security Intelligence - February 15th, 2020
- The APAC data center market is expected to grow at a CAGR of over 3% during the period 20192025 - GlobeNewswire - February 15th, 2020
- Spotting the elephant in the room: Why cloud will not burst colo's bubble just yet - Cloud Tech - February 11th, 2020
- The frequency of DDoS attacks depends on the day and time - Help Net Security - February 11th, 2020
- State and Local Agencies Learn Cloud Strategies from the Feds - StateTech Magazine - February 11th, 2020
- ARMs new edge AI chips promise IoT devices that wont need the cloud - The Verge - February 11th, 2020
- Configuration mistakes blamed for bulk of stolen records last year: IBM - IT World Canada - February 11th, 2020
- IT infrastructure trends 2020 - Verdict - February 11th, 2020
- Why Profits From Amazon's Cloud Business Could Be About to Soar - Motley Fool - February 8th, 2020
- Sophos is named one of the coolest cloud companies - Naked Security - February 8th, 2020
- Interpreting Top Dos and Don'ts While Migrating to the Cloud - Analytics Insight - February 8th, 2020
- EnGenius Cloud-Based Management For Networks Could Save You A Heap Of Time, Money And Carbon - Forbes - February 8th, 2020
- Pillars of AWS Well-Architected Framework - TechiExpert.com - February 8th, 2020
- Enabling the Network Edge With Hardware-Based Acceleration - The Fast Mode - February 8th, 2020
- Global Automotive Telematics Market Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast 2019-2026 - Virtual-Strategy Magazine - February 8th, 2020
- The 13 Top Integration Platform as a Service Vendors for 2020 - Solutions Review - February 8th, 2020
- State of the Cloud, February 2020 - Cloudwards - February 8th, 2020
- Microsoft Made The Same Move That Launched Amazon 3,848% - Forbes - February 8th, 2020
- IGEL Teams with AMD to Optimize the UD3 Endpoint for Cloud Workspaces - Yahoo Finance - February 8th, 2020
- Return of the IT architects: how edge computing is unlocking value for global organisations - ITProPortal - February 8th, 2020
- Why we invested in Run - CoinGeek - February 6th, 2020
- Cloud Capex Is Growing Again - But the Spending Is Now More Efficient - TheStreet - February 6th, 2020
- Cloudtech startup Rapyder has partnered with AWS to help clients with digital transformation - YourStory - February 6th, 2020
- Data breach exposes need to secure cloud servers - IT-Online - February 6th, 2020
- DARPA plans shift from AWS and on-prem to multicloud by 2022 - DatacenterDynamics - February 6th, 2020
- What AMD And Intel Quarterly Numbers Say About Datacenter Business - Forbes - February 6th, 2020
- Netskope hauls in another $340M investment on nearly $3B valuation - TechCrunch - February 6th, 2020
- How an Accounting Tweak Will Make Amazon's Most Profitable Business Even More Profitable - The Motley Fool - February 6th, 2020
- Difference Between Authorization and Authentication - Security Boulevard - February 6th, 2020
- Options Partners with Pure, Leverages Pure as-a-Service to Deliver All-NVMe, All Flash Cloud - HPCwire - February 6th, 2020
- IGEL Teams with AMD to Optimize the UD3 Endpoint for Cloud Workspaces - PRNewswire - February 6th, 2020
- Infrastructure-as-code templates are source of cloud infrastructure weaknesses - TechCentral.ie - February 6th, 2020
- Windows Server and the future of file servers in the cloud computing world - TechRepublic - February 4th, 2020