The coronavirus pandemic has put an accelerator on hybrid cloud adoption within both the federal and state governments.
This content is provided byRed Hat.
The coronavirus pandemic has put an accelerator on hybrid cloud adoption within both the federal and state governments. With the vast majority of government employees suddenly working from home in such a short period of time, business processes, workloads and servers have all had to be stretched and dispersed. Agencies that already had a hybrid cloud strategy were in a good place to adapt to this new paradigm. And if you didnt have a hybrid cloud before this, you do now.
But some hybrid cloud strategies are less comprehensive than others. The best include integration between services and applications to accelerate innovation. But those are few and far between.
What we found most was as soon as the pandemic hit certain resources, certain applications were stretched thin while others have been sitting idle. And we certainly didnt anticipate which services were going to need to scale prior to the pandemic, said Dan Domkowski, senior principal technology evangelist at Red Hat. For instance, we didnt know that all of a sudden, within a few weeks time, entire agencies were going to have to prepare for an entire workforce that was going to be remote.
The newly massive remote workforce required scaling networking infrastructure with virtual private networks and automated configuration of multi-protocol label switching tunnels in routing devices, among other adjustments. Ways to automate and be versatile became crucial. Agencies had no choice but to scale quickly, automate repeatable tasks and even increase the use of services offered on demand in the public cloud
Many may have done a great job at solving these in the near term. But developing a way in which thats going to last them through the rest of the year and onward is whats going to come next, Domkowski said.
One major example of this is unemployment applications within certain states, like New York State. They had to scale up via the cloud in order to handle the suddenly increased workload and still be able to provide unemployment services. The public cloud provides fast access to resources for delivery, but even components hosted in the cloud have dependencies located elsewhere. Its the integration of the those dependencies, how they are delivered, scaled, monitored, and secured together as a holistic digital system is what makes up a sound hybrid cloud strategy.
But hybrid cloud is helping agencies who werent as well positioned to handle this new work paradigm play catch-up. Experts have found that teams can innovate the most when they have control over their own tools. Thats a key reason for implementing hybrid cloud in and of itself. Different providers have different strengths and weaknesses around what tools they provide and workloads they handle.
So if one team decides they should be working with AWS, while another picks Azure, a hybrid cloud strategy helps both teams get the most out of those assets while allowing the agency to set certain controls and standards. It provides ways to say which tools and libraries are approved, and standards like application programming interfaces (APIs) and immutable infrastructure so that services can be discoverable, authenticated, and even portable. Agencies just need to be sure the environment is secure and manageable, and to institute rules and controls.
And thats important, because so many security controls and requirements are built around the assumption that even physical security is applicable to all employees. But now employees are mostly sitting in environments that cant be controlled by their employers. Connecting to critical business services and data is a worry for every enterprise, and that worry just got amplified as remote workforces exploded. Figuring out a way to adapt their security policies to this new world is critical for agencies to figure out. Enforcing things like two-factor authentication, VPNs, and approved/updated tooling and libraries can help, but agencies also have to be careful not to hinder innovation.
So finding that balance of allowing teams to innovate, giving them a chance to pick their path toward a desired outcome, while also providing guidelines or the lanes in the road is critical for delivering digital transformation in government, Domkowski said. Consumable and secure dont need to be mutually exclusive.
Agencies also need the flexibility to migrate and integrate applications, data and other resources from one environment to another if need be. The best outcome or tool for 2020 might not be the best for 2022, and agencies dont want to trade one set of lock-in vendors for another. Instead, they should prioritize being flexible, being portable, and following standards like creating and managing APIs and deploying on immutable infrastructure . Generally, technologies that have communities built around them tend to exist for a long time, which can help guide future movement, as well as encourage flexibility.
Hybrid cloud is also critical to understanding and developing these applications in order to get insights that allow agencies to build automation. Because applications can integrate without human interaction, they can learn from one another, which allows them to get to a result faster and accelerates both an organization and its performance.
The only thing thats certain is uncertainty. So, act as if uncertainty is always going to be our normal, Domkowski said. And if you do that, youll prepare your systems and your services to be portable, to be flexible, and to get the most out of them, no matter what gets thrown at us next.
See the rest here:
Hybrid cloud: The key to surviving and thriving during the pandemic - WTOP
- Uncover and overcome cloud threat hunting obstacles - TechTarget - May 26th, 2020
- This extraordinary motherboard is being used by server CPU scavengers - TechRadar India - May 26th, 2020
- VMware reduces hardware footprint of its shiny new K8s-on-vSphere toys - The Register - May 26th, 2020
- How Zoom plans to better secure meetings with end-to-end encryption - TechRepublic - May 26th, 2020
- VMware, Dell level up their combined on-prem cloud with much more computing grunt - The Register - May 26th, 2020
- Accelerator Card Market Will Witness Substantial Growth in the Upcoming years by 2027 - WaterCloud News - May 26th, 2020
- Uber India deploys Canon information management solution- Therefore for operational workflow - CRN.in - May 26th, 2020
- Potential Impact of COVID-19 on Research Report prospects the Server Backup Software Market - Cole of Duty - May 26th, 2020
- Do You Know Where Your Servers Come From? Heres Why Securing The Supply Chain Matters - Forbes - May 26th, 2020
- Live analytics without vendor lock-in? It's more likely than you think, says Redis Labs - The Register - May 26th, 2020
- Latest Forecast on Government Cloud Market Emerging Industries, Growth, Remarkable Developments and Key Players| Global Future Prospects 2025 - 3rd... - May 26th, 2020
- Cloud Accounting Software Market Research Report Comprising Development Trends 2020, Key Manufacturers and Competitive Landscape to 2025 - Cole of... - May 26th, 2020
- Gartner: How and why cloud providers need to support their customers through Covid-19 - Cloud Tech - May 22nd, 2020
- The Connection Between Cloud Service Providers and Cyber Resilience - Security Intelligence - May 22nd, 2020
- Google And Dell Pave The Way For File Data In The Cloud - The Next Platform - May 22nd, 2020
- Veeam teams up with Kasten for containerised app backup Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - May 22nd, 2020
- Global Bare Metal Cloud Market : Industry Analysis and Forecast... - Azizsalon News - May 22nd, 2020
- Exabeam sees more than half of new and add-on recurring revenue from cloud offering - Help Net Security - May 22nd, 2020
- OnShip Brings its Parcel & Freight Shipping Transportation Management Platform to the Cloud with Cameyo - Supply and Demand Chain Executive - May 22nd, 2020
- 'What is Dropbox?': How to use the cloud-based file-storage service for collaboration - Business Insider - Business Insider - May 22nd, 2020
- Couchbase Announces $105 Million Equity Investment Led by GPI Capital to Fuel Its Next Phase of Growth and Cloud Innovation - GlobeNewswire - May 22nd, 2020
- The Register calls for aid, and Microsoft's Rohan Kumar will answer... our questions about SQL Edge and Azure Synapse - The Register - May 22nd, 2020
- What are the different types of cloud load balancing? - TechTarget - May 22nd, 2020
- How data centers will become automated and self-reliant - TechHQ - May 22nd, 2020
- Masayoshi Son says AWS and Microsoft will buy more chipsets from the SoftBank Vision Fund-backed Arm, and not - Business Insider India - May 22nd, 2020
- Chinese IPOs hang in the balance as Senate and Nasdaq change rules - Data Economy - May 22nd, 2020
- Portworx upbeat on container storage revenues Blocks and Files - Blocks and Files - May 22nd, 2020
- New study Global Managed Servers Market 2019 | Growth Opportunities, Investment Feasibility, Market Share And Forecast 2025 - Cole of Duty - May 22nd, 2020
- New Study Finds that IT Pros Are Worried About Corporate Data Security - Database Trends and Applications - May 19th, 2020
- Get your head in the cloud: why cloud is crucial for sustainable business - New Zealand News Centre - Microsoft - May 19th, 2020
- The Global Public Cloud Services Market is expected to grow by $ 221.84 billion during 2020-2024 progressing at a CAGR of 19% during the forecast... - May 19th, 2020
- Traditional or Cloud Antivirus Solutions Which is Best? - PC Tech Magazine - May 19th, 2020
- Moving beyond Covid-19: what does the future of work look like? - ETCIO.com - May 19th, 2020
- AWS unleashes custom Arm processor the Graviton2 in new EC2 M6g instance type - The Register - May 14th, 2020
- Pandemic Shows The Value Of The Public Cloud - The Next Platform - May 14th, 2020
- Jigsaw24 Expands Via24 Cloud Services With Deployment of EditShares EFSv - Broadcasting & Cable - May 14th, 2020
- The age of the ethical cloud is green and for everyone Intelligent CIO Europe - Intelligent CIO Africa - May 14th, 2020
- The Future of Artificial Intelligence: Edge Intelligence - Analytics Insight - May 14th, 2020
- How cloud is accelerating the growth of digital payments - TechHQ - May 14th, 2020
- Live Webinar Preview: Commands & Custom Scripting for Remote Application Installs - Security Boulevard - May 14th, 2020
- Private Cloud Server Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- Swarm Theory: Lessons from nature in the advancement of robotics - Techerati - May 14th, 2020
- What are the Differences Between IaaS, PaaS, and SaaS? - stopthefud - May 14th, 2020
- Zoom Settles with NY AG over Privacy and Security Concerns - Security Magazine - May 14th, 2020
- Codestone helps shipping agent to cloud-based infrastructure - Codestone - May 14th, 2020
- Server sales went through the roof in the first three months of 2020. Enjoy it while it lasts, Dell, HPE, and pals - The Register - May 14th, 2020
- Global Cloud Infrastructure Testing Market Research Report 2020 By Size, Share, Trends and Analysis up to 2025. - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- Digital Harmonic to Bring its Powerful AI-Driven Image and Video Enhancing Solution to the Federal Market - Business Wire - May 14th, 2020
- Sorry if this seems latency obvious, but... you can always scale out your storage with end-to-end NVMe - The Register - May 14th, 2020
- The role of the data centre in the future of Data Management - Data Economy - May 14th, 2020
- We'd love to come up with a Harbor container ship pun but we're too corona-frazzled. Version 2.0 is out - The Register - May 14th, 2020
- Edge Intelligence: The Next Wave of AI - EE Times India - May 14th, 2020
- Patch by Friday or compromised by Monday: Salt exploit exposes Infrastructure-as-Code tools threat - SC Magazine UK - May 6th, 2020
- Serverless Exists In The Cloud and Both Need Servers - Computer Business Review - May 6th, 2020
- Analysis on Impact of COVID-19- Rugged Servers Market 2020-2024 | Increased Adoption of Cloud Applications to Boost Growth | Technavio - Business Wire - May 6th, 2020
- Privitar Announces New Native Integration With Google Cloud Platform - Business Wire - May 6th, 2020
- Industrial 5G and the Mobile Edge - ARC Viewpoints - May 6th, 2020
- Neutrino Energy Will Power The Future's Internet Consumption - Forbes India - May 6th, 2020
- Norton 360 Deluxe review: Comprehensive security solution with built-in VPN - Business Standard - May 6th, 2020
- Microsoft Announces the General Availability of Windows Server Containers, and More for AKS - InfoQ.com - May 6th, 2020
- Protecting the Cloud: Securing access to public cloud accounts - Naked Security - May 6th, 2020
- Cloud Act is not a sovereign aggressive overreach by the US - News24 - May 6th, 2020
- How to Set Up pCloud Drive in 2020 - Cloudwards - May 6th, 2020
- What public clouds are coronavirus-themed threats hiding in? - ARNnet - May 6th, 2020
- In the cloud, who can hear your developers scream? - The Register - May 4th, 2020
- Unlock The Full Value Of SAP Hana In The Cloud With IBM Power - E3zine.com - May 4th, 2020
- Critical SaltStack vulnerability affects thousands of datacentres - ComputerWeekly.com - May 4th, 2020
- Hot On The Heels Of Mellanox, Nvidia Snaps Up Cumulus Networks - The Next Platform - May 4th, 2020
- AWS Cloud Formation Market Countries Analysis Report 2020 by Industry Size, Share, Growth Rate and Revenue Aminet Market Reports - amitnetserver - May 4th, 2020
- Review hybrid cloud offerings that bring the cloud on premises - TechTarget - May 4th, 2020
- Gmail and Outlook sitting in a tree, not t-a-l-k-i-n-g to me or thee - The Register - May 4th, 2020
- The attacker and the data centre - ITProPortal - May 4th, 2020
- Three things in life are certain: Death, taxes, and cloud-based IoT gear bricked by vendors. Looking at you, Belkin - The Register - April 29th, 2020
- AMD and Samsung's Earnings Point to a Cloud Server Spending Boom - TheStreet - April 29th, 2020
- Organizations are Increasing IT budgets for AI, Cloud, and Security - EnterpriseTalk - April 29th, 2020
- It's your last chance to get this ace VPN deal with 73% off and free cloud storage - TechRadar India - April 29th, 2020
- Atos to Deliver Next Generation Cloud Services to the State of Texas - AiThority - April 29th, 2020
- In the first quarter, Google Cloud's revenue is up 52% year-over-year - FierceTelecom - April 29th, 2020
- Experts warn there are still legal ways the US could obtain COVIDSafe data - ABC News - April 29th, 2020
- 14 ways AWS beats Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud - ARNnet - April 29th, 2020