A year ago, Dell Technologies made a significant push deeper into the fast-growing hybrid cloud space, unveiling its Dell Technologies Cloud initiative that includes hybrid cloud platforms that take advantage of the tight integration of technologies from Dell and VMware, which is majority owned by the larger company. The platforms leverage the VMware Cloud Foundation (VCF), designed to enable enterprises to manage virtual machines (VMs) and containerized applications in the hybrid cloud tightly integrated with the Dell EMC VxRail hyperconverged infrastructure (HCI).
As we noted at the time, platform options include Dell Technologies Cloud Platform, which includes both VxRail and VCF with flexibility regarding servers, storage and networking and provides an easier way to migrate workloads between on-premises environments and private and public clouds, and a Dell Cloud Data Center-as-a-Service, a fully managed service that brings cloud-like capabilities on premises and is based on VMware Cloud on Dell EMC, the productization of the Project Dimension program that VMware had introduced in 2018.
The overall cloud initiative was Dells way of pushing into the highly competitive cloud space that had not only traditional OEMs like Hewlett Packard Enterprise and Cisco Systems extending their reach into the public cloud through both innovation and partnerships, but top-tier public cloud service providers like Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud looking for ways to create a presence in the datacenter though both hardware (AWS Outposts) and software (Azure Stack and Googles Anthos).
It makes sense. Enterprises are moving more workloads and data including mission-critical applications into the public cloud to take advantage of such benefits as the greater agility, easy scalability and lower costs, which come with not having to invest in datacenter hardware or the people and time needed to manage such environments. However, for security, compliance and other reasons, theyre keeping some workloads in their own datacenters, creating hybrid environments, and using multiple public cloud providers (a mulitcloud situation).
Introducing OneFS for Google Cloud
The public cloud with its infinite scalability and access to a broad range of development tools is understandably attractive to organizations, according to Brian Payne, vice president of cloud product management at Dell.
Weve got customers that are off looking at how they modernize an media entertainment app or how they apply artificial intelligence to a given problem they have as a business and they discover that they dont have the right types of developers, the right types of tools, or they dont want to invest the time because they dont have it to get a product to market quickly or an offer to market quickly to go figure out what framework they want to use and how they put all this together, Payne tells The Next Platform. The public cloud offers pretty nice services with that regard.
But it doesnt have everything they need, which was a driver behind a partnership that Dell and Google Cloud announced this week. The companies unveiled OneFS for Google Cloud, an offering that enables enterprises to more easily to manage data-intensive workloads between on-premises datacenters and the Google Cloud. It leverages Dell EMC Isilon filesystems on premises and the analytics and compute services offered in Google Cloud to allow businesses to move workloads as large as 50 petabytes in a single filesystem between the two environments without having to make changes in the applications. It addresses the challenges facing organizations around performance and scalability when trying to store file data in public clouds.
What Google Cloud doesnt have and what customers have discovered and told us is the right file services in order to feed that AI engine to generate whatever results it is that the business users are looking for, Payne says. Thats where we saw an opportunity to partner with Google to offer within their environment, within their portal, their process engines and pair up their services with our OneFS file solution. That file solution can give the customers the enterprise-class capabilities that they need, the performance [and] scaling. Were talking about read-through performance that is above and beyond alternatives that are available today, talking about file capacity that is going into the extreme 50-petabyte range, these kinds of capabilities that are just not available in that domain. Were pairing those up. When I when I say that were looking comprehensively at what our customers need, we said, Look, theres a great opportunity. Yes, theres some compute going into the cloud, but ultimately the customers need this storage capability here and we can pair that up and make it available to our customers.'
There are myriad industries where being able to move and storage huge amounts of file data in the public cloud would be important, including genomics research and media and entertainment companies that have to manage massive files like 4K video, he says. Autonomous vehicles are another area.
Theyre generating today tons and tons and tons of data each time they do a test drive and thats getting uploaded into an environment, Payne says. Then they want to go run machine learning around that and then generate understanding and ultimately feed an algorithm that enables that autonomous driving. Thats an example where a company may be in a situation where theyre behind in the race, dont have time to find and recruit the developers and build the capabilities and build the frameworks. I just need to get to it quick. Ive got the data. I need to get it to the right location paired up with the service to get to a result faster. Theyre searching for a solution in a case where they say build vs. buy it, but dont have time to build. Heres where were filling out a key part of the solution on the storage side.
He declines to say whether there are plans to expand the OneFS solution to other cloud providers like AWS and Azure, but says the approach is one that we will extend. As were think about cloud, were thinking about the broader ecosystem and youve got to bring elements of the ecosystem together to package up a solution for a given problem. This approach that were taking here is certainly something that will extend as we build out an ecosystem around Dell Technologies Cloud.
The introduction of the Google Cloud partner also came as Dell unveiled enhancements to the Dell Technologies Cloud Platform, most of which highlight the tight integration between Dell and VMware technologies, which Payne says is a key differentiator from other OEMs that also are pushing their way into the cloud. That includes support in the cloud platform of VMwares Tanzu Kubernetes Grid and VCF 4.0 on the same VxRail infrastructure, enabling organizations to use the same tools for containerized workloads and traditional virtual machines. That capability comes as VMware gets ready to launch its Google Cloud VMware Engine this summer, which will enable enterprises to move and run VMware environments in Google Cloud.
Dell also is looking to make it easier for companies to embrace its Dell Technologies on Demand subscription program, starting with a configuration option with as few as four VxRail nodes. Before configurations started at eight nodes, which might be too much for some companies, Payne says. At the same time, the company also is unveiling a higher end configuration that includes a 42-rack infrastructure that includes more processors cores, memory options and NVM-Express all-flash storage. The vendor also is offering more appliance options for Dell EMC SD-WAN Solution powered by VMware and based on technology from VeloCloud, which VMware bought in 2017. The software defined-WAN solution is the entry point for companies that are coming onto VMware Cloud on Dell EMC and looking to run for such workloads as voice-over-IP, video streaming and virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI).
Featuring highlights, analysis, and stories from the week directly from us to your inbox with nothing in between.
- How cloud is turning to be an effective tool for healthcare industry during Covid-19 - Express Computer - July 29th, 2020
- The pros and cons of moving to the cloud - Accounting Today - July 29th, 2020
- Veritas taps NetBackup as the beating heart of universal data management - Blocks and Files - July 29th, 2020
- The Style Of Cloud Networking In The Corporate Datacenter - The Next Platform - July 29th, 2020
- Storage skills in the age of the cloud and convergence - ComputerWeekly.com - July 29th, 2020
- Report: Despite Covid-19 disruption in 2020, data center capex poised to hit more than $200B over next five years - FierceTelecom - July 29th, 2020
- Ephesoft Releases New Version of Transact; Touts Time-to-Value of Cloud-based Document Processing Solution - PR Web - July 29th, 2020
- NAKIVO Backup & Replication v10 adds vSphere 7 support and other new features - Continuity Central - July 29th, 2020
- Is Application Awareness on the Cusp of a Renaissance? - Redmondmag.com - July 29th, 2020
- DH2i to Address How to Mitigate Microsoft SQL Server Costs Amidst Pandemic-Ravaged Budgets - PRNewswire - July 29th, 2020
- Charting the Massive Scale of the Digital Cloud - Visual Capitalist - July 14th, 2020
- The Interaction Between Identity Cloud and Akamai Edge Services - Security Boulevard - July 14th, 2020
- CHR, Microsoft partner on cloud and visibility - JOC.com - July 14th, 2020
- Amazon Web Services CEO Andy Jassy on How the Cloud is Aiding Vaccine Development; Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning that is Transforming... - July 14th, 2020
- Server Management Software Market 2020 Global Size, COVID 19 Outbreak, Segments, Growth and Trends by Forecast to 2023 - Cole of Duty - July 14th, 2020
- Tengxunyun.net.cn Is Now Among the Best Online Blogs That Cover Information Regarding Tencent Cloud Server Service - Press Release - Digital Journal - July 14th, 2020
- How Tencent is upping the ante on Asian rival Alibaba Cloud - TechHQ - July 14th, 2020
- Top 5 things to know about serverless computing - TechRepublic - July 14th, 2020
- Businesses That Need Cloud Services - Student Assembly of the State University of New York - July 14th, 2020
- An Army of Swipers: Dating in the Modern Age - Visual Capitalist - July 14th, 2020
- QNAPs AirPlay-enabled 2-Bay Cloud NAS falls to Amazon low at $239 (20% off) - 9to5Toys - July 14th, 2020
- Discover the Power of VUNO's AI Solutions at ECR 2020 - PRNewswire - July 14th, 2020
- Evaluate the top hybrid cloud providers - TechTarget - July 14th, 2020
- Why Businesses Are Implementing Edge Analytics in Their Line of Work - RTInsights - July 14th, 2020
- Get Off the Cloud With Start9's Private Internet Kit - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - July 14th, 2020
- Smart Education and Learning Market 2020 Global Size, Top Leaders, Analytical Overview, Business Growth, Sales Revenue and Forecast 2023 - Sports... - July 14th, 2020
- Windows PCs will have to follow Apples switch to ARM, says former Mac chief - 9to5Mac - July 14th, 2020
- Cloud Computing Server Market In-Depth Analysis, Drivers, Restraints, Opportunities, Threats, Latest Innovations, Applications, And Growth Forecast... - July 14th, 2020
- Smart Education and Learning Market 2020 Global Industry Size, Key Players Analysis, Business Growth, Regional Trends and Forecast 2023 - Daily... - July 14th, 2020
- How Tencent is bringing the storm clouds to arch-rival Alibaba - Tech Wire Asia - July 6th, 2020
- Unsecured servers leaked data of millions of users of dating sites and apps - TEISS - July 6th, 2020
- How Ather Energy is leveraging the Cloud to build and scale smart mobility solutions for India - YourStory - July 6th, 2020
- Nextcloud, the open source platform that allows you to install and configure your own personal cloud on a web server - Explica - July 6th, 2020
- The Chinese Government is Accessing YOUR Network Through the Backdoor and There Still is NO Place to Hide - China Law Blog - July 6th, 2020
- Scientific Thinking: Processes, methods, and approaches with reference to Deep Tech - Web Hosting | Cloud Computing | Datacenter | Domain News - Daily... - July 6th, 2020
- 5 Best VPNs to consider in 2020 - Techiexpert.com - TechiExpert.com - July 6th, 2020
- Huawei Rotating Chairman Highlights Practices and Prospects of 5G in Digital Transformation for Industries at GSMA Thrive - Al-Bawaba - July 5th, 2020
- AIOps and the evolution of IT infrastructure monitoring - IT Brief Australia - July 5th, 2020
- 360Quadrants Releases Top 10 Cloud Computing Software In 2020 edited by leading research firm - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - July 5th, 2020
- How to Watch Netflix With NordVPN: Does it Work in 2020 ? - Cloudwards - July 5th, 2020
- Migrating SaaS to Cloud: How to do it without disruption - Techiexpert.com - TechiExpert.com - July 4th, 2020
- SaaS Company OWNZONES is Keeping the Post-Production Industry in Motion During the Coronavirus Pandemic - Programming Insider - July 4th, 2020
- Huawei Rotating Chairman Highlights Practices and Prospects of 5G - MENAFN.COM - July 4th, 2020
- Cloud Server Market Research Report, Segment by Industry Player, Type, Application, Global Marketing Channel, and Region 2020-2025 - Cole of Duty - July 4th, 2020
- 5 Ways the Cloud Can Benefit Your Business During the Pandemic - Entrepreneur - July 4th, 2020
- Gulf economies to shrink by 7.6% this year, says IMF - Arab News - July 4th, 2020
- Hyperion Forecast Headwinds in 2020 Won't Stifle Cloud HPC Adoption or Arm's Rise - HPCwire - July 4th, 2020
- Intel Forced To Stop Supplying Chips To Chinese Inspur Cloud Server Manufacturer - Research Snipers - July 4th, 2020
- Cloud Infrastructure Market Size and Growth Analysis and Forecast To 2025 - Daily Research Chronicles - July 4th, 2020
- AIOps and the evolution of IT infrastructure monitoring - IT Brief New Zealand - July 4th, 2020
- The Global Virtualization in Industrial Automation Market is expected to grow by $ 216.39 mn during 2020-2024 progressing at a CAGR of 4% during the... - July 4th, 2020
- Boeing 737 MAX certification flight tests to begin - Arab News - July 4th, 2020
- Edge Computing Is A Red-Hot Tech Trend, Here's How To Invest in It - TheStreet - June 27th, 2020
- Docker servers infected with DDoS malware in extremely rare attacks - ZDNet - June 27th, 2020
- Nebulon emerges with software-defined storage, but from the cloud - ComputerWeekly.com - June 27th, 2020
- Ampere's New 128-Core Altra CPU Targets Intel, AMD In The Cloud - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - June 27th, 2020
- Cloud IT Infrastructure Spending Continued to Grow in Q1 2020 While Spending on Non-Cloud Environments Saw Double-Digit Declines, According to IDC -... - June 27th, 2020
- Empowering Edge Cloud in the 5G & IoT Hyper-Connected Era - insideHPC - June 27th, 2020
- Ampere's 128-Core Processor Challenges Intel and AMD in a Cloud-Based Processor Showdown - News - All About Circuits - June 27th, 2020
- This Ransomware Campaign is Being Orchestrated from the Cloud - Computer Business Review - June 27th, 2020
- Ad industry spots money in the cloud | Industry Trends | IBC - IBC365 - June 27th, 2020
- Want to work at Microsoft? Dice.com looks at top jobs, skills the tech giant is looking for - OnMSFT - June 27th, 2020
- The Winston-Salem Symphony Announces Newly Elected Directors - Yes! Weekly - June 27th, 2020
- The Best VPNs for Businesses and Teams - PCMag.com - June 27th, 2020
- NexTech AR Solutions tie-up with Fastly cloud platform leads to video security breakthrough - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - June 27th, 2020
- Moving to the cloud: Migrating Blazegraph to Amazon Neptune - idk.dev - June 27th, 2020
- Cloud-Based Automation Is a Reality; Now What? - Radio World - Radio World - June 27th, 2020
- How Azure, AWS, Google handle data destruction in the cloud - TechTarget - June 27th, 2020
- AMD EPYC Processor Adoption Expands with New Supercomputing and High-Performance Cloud Computing System Wins - GlobeNewswire - June 27th, 2020
- What it Means To Be Software-Defined in Retail and How We Got Here - Retail Info Systems News - June 27th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Market 2020: Challenges, Growth, Types, Applications, Revenue, Insights, Growth Analysis, Competitive Landscape, Forecast- 2025 - Cole... - June 27th, 2020
- Why This Cloud ETF Can Keep up its Torrid Pace - ETF Trends - June 20th, 2020
- FaceApp Privacy: What You Need To Know About The Viral Russian App - Forbes - June 20th, 2020
- Cloud flash storage: SSD options from AWS, Azure and GCP - ComputerWeekly.com - June 20th, 2020
- Could the European Cloud Deliver Data Protection by Default? - CPO Magazine - June 20th, 2020
- Private Cloud Server Market How the Business Will Grow in 2026? - Cole of Duty - June 20th, 2020
- How to Profit from the Growing Divide in Tech Stocks. - Barron's - June 20th, 2020
- Cloud Computing in Education Sector Market Size, Growth, Analysis, Outlook by 2019 Trends, Opportunities and Forecast to 2025 - Medic Insider - June 20th, 2020
- Lenovo announces ThinkSystem SR860 V2 and SR850 V2 servers - Gadgets Now - June 20th, 2020
- Here are 8 career options that are least impacted by recessions - Business Standard - June 20th, 2020