Organizations in both the private and public sectors have increasingly turned to cloud service providers (CSPs) to support their technical infrastructure, primarily to reduce IT costs and increase the efficiency of computing resources. In many cases, CSPs can also offer protection from security threats and increased cyber resilience though customers often face trade-offs when they rely on cloud providers for these protections.
In the area of cyber resilience, in particular, organizations can offload much of the responsibility for keeping computer systems up and running by relying on cloud service providers, but this also means relinquishing much of their own control over those resilience measures.
The resilience of computer systems can mean slightly different things to different organizations. For some, it refers to maintaining a system that never goes down, while for others it refers to a systems capacity to recover from incidents and outages as quickly and painlessly as possible.
The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) defines the resilience of information systems as The ability of an information system to continue to: (i) operate under adverse conditions or stress, even if in a degraded or debilitated state, while maintaining essential operational capabilities; and (ii) recover to an effective operational posture in a time frame consistent with mission needs.
Although the types of incidents and their consequences vary from business to business, a 2014 estimate from Gartner puts the average cost of just one minute of IT downtime at $5,600, and a 2016 Ponemon Institute report raises that estimate to nearly $9,000 per minute. The ever-increasing reliance on IT services suggests that the financial consequences of unplanned outages are continually rising.
Since IT costs and efficiency are typically primary drivers of cloud service adoption, it makes sense that reducing costs due to IT outages and interruptions might also factor into the decision.
Cloud services can help organizations with both of the components of cyber resilience: operating continuously under adverse conditions and recovering rapidly from incidents with minimal business interruptions. CSPs typically operate infrastructure with much greater capacity than individual organizations, and they may also have significantly more resources to devote to security measures and attack prevention.
Way back in 2012, a report published by ENISA, the European Unions cybersecurity agency, determined that a cloud service providers ability to dynamically reallocate resources for filtering, traffic shaping, authentication, encryption, etc, to defensive measures (e.g., against DDoS attacks) has obvious advantages for resilience. In other words, a denial-of-service (DoS) attack that might otherwise cause company server outages can be easily absorbed by a cloud providers larger traffic capacity and greater ability to filter traffic.
Similarly, ransomware attacks that cut organizations off from their systems and data can be overcome with the assistance of cloud providers that produce and retain back-up copies of those systems.
Alternatively, a CSP can help customers respond to natural disasters that cut off power to servers in one region by shifting their traffic and systems to servers operated in a data center somewhere else.
A 2017 white paper titled Advancing cyber resilience with cloud computing, published by Microsoft, makes similar arguments: Cloud computing can be a practicable and valuable tool for cyber resilience and digital continuity, the authors assert. Thanks to its geographic replication of data, rapid scalability, security features and cost-effectiveness, cloud enables users to increase the efficiency of their operations and their agility in response to threats.
The impressive capabilities of cloud services have changed how businesses around the world operate, but ultimately, it is up to individual organizations to determine whether these long-known advantages outweigh the possible downsides.
The downside to relying on cloud services for resilience is that it can sometimes leave customers with little control over the resilience of their own computer systems and infrastructure and can also leave them vulnerable to attacks directed at their providers as well as any mistakes the providers might make.
As more organizations rely on the same small set of cloud service providers, the consequences of each individual outage may become greater, even if the number of outages decreases. But for many small and medium-sized businesses (SMBs) that lack dedicated security staff, the risks of a cloud provider outage still wont beat out the benefit of having the enhanced security and resilience resources that large cloud providers can offer.
- How cloud is turning to be an effective tool for healthcare industry during Covid-19 - Express Computer - July 29th, 2020
- The pros and cons of moving to the cloud - Accounting Today - July 29th, 2020
- Veritas taps NetBackup as the beating heart of universal data management - Blocks and Files - July 29th, 2020
- The Style Of Cloud Networking In The Corporate Datacenter - The Next Platform - July 29th, 2020
- Storage skills in the age of the cloud and convergence - ComputerWeekly.com - July 29th, 2020
- Report: Despite Covid-19 disruption in 2020, data center capex poised to hit more than $200B over next five years - FierceTelecom - July 29th, 2020
- Ephesoft Releases New Version of Transact; Touts Time-to-Value of Cloud-based Document Processing Solution - PR Web - July 29th, 2020
- NAKIVO Backup & Replication v10 adds vSphere 7 support and other new features - Continuity Central - July 29th, 2020
- Is Application Awareness on the Cusp of a Renaissance? - Redmondmag.com - July 29th, 2020
- DH2i to Address How to Mitigate Microsoft SQL Server Costs Amidst Pandemic-Ravaged Budgets - PRNewswire - July 29th, 2020
- Charting the Massive Scale of the Digital Cloud - Visual Capitalist - July 14th, 2020
- The Interaction Between Identity Cloud and Akamai Edge Services - Security Boulevard - July 14th, 2020
- CHR, Microsoft partner on cloud and visibility - JOC.com - July 14th, 2020
- Amazon Web Services CEO Andy Jassy on How the Cloud is Aiding Vaccine Development; Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning that is Transforming... - July 14th, 2020
- Server Management Software Market 2020 Global Size, COVID 19 Outbreak, Segments, Growth and Trends by Forecast to 2023 - Cole of Duty - July 14th, 2020
- Tengxunyun.net.cn Is Now Among the Best Online Blogs That Cover Information Regarding Tencent Cloud Server Service - Press Release - Digital Journal - July 14th, 2020
- How Tencent is upping the ante on Asian rival Alibaba Cloud - TechHQ - July 14th, 2020
- Top 5 things to know about serverless computing - TechRepublic - July 14th, 2020
- Businesses That Need Cloud Services - Student Assembly of the State University of New York - July 14th, 2020
- An Army of Swipers: Dating in the Modern Age - Visual Capitalist - July 14th, 2020
- QNAPs AirPlay-enabled 2-Bay Cloud NAS falls to Amazon low at $239 (20% off) - 9to5Toys - July 14th, 2020
- Discover the Power of VUNO's AI Solutions at ECR 2020 - PRNewswire - July 14th, 2020
- Evaluate the top hybrid cloud providers - TechTarget - July 14th, 2020
- Why Businesses Are Implementing Edge Analytics in Their Line of Work - RTInsights - July 14th, 2020
- Get Off the Cloud With Start9's Private Internet Kit - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - July 14th, 2020
- Smart Education and Learning Market 2020 Global Size, Top Leaders, Analytical Overview, Business Growth, Sales Revenue and Forecast 2023 - Sports... - July 14th, 2020
- Windows PCs will have to follow Apples switch to ARM, says former Mac chief - 9to5Mac - July 14th, 2020
- Cloud Computing Server Market In-Depth Analysis, Drivers, Restraints, Opportunities, Threats, Latest Innovations, Applications, And Growth Forecast... - July 14th, 2020
- Smart Education and Learning Market 2020 Global Industry Size, Key Players Analysis, Business Growth, Regional Trends and Forecast 2023 - Daily... - July 14th, 2020
- How Tencent is bringing the storm clouds to arch-rival Alibaba - Tech Wire Asia - July 6th, 2020
- Unsecured servers leaked data of millions of users of dating sites and apps - TEISS - July 6th, 2020
- How Ather Energy is leveraging the Cloud to build and scale smart mobility solutions for India - YourStory - July 6th, 2020
- Nextcloud, the open source platform that allows you to install and configure your own personal cloud on a web server - Explica - July 6th, 2020
- The Chinese Government is Accessing YOUR Network Through the Backdoor and There Still is NO Place to Hide - China Law Blog - July 6th, 2020
- Scientific Thinking: Processes, methods, and approaches with reference to Deep Tech - Web Hosting | Cloud Computing | Datacenter | Domain News - Daily... - July 6th, 2020
- 5 Best VPNs to consider in 2020 - Techiexpert.com - TechiExpert.com - July 6th, 2020
- Huawei Rotating Chairman Highlights Practices and Prospects of 5G in Digital Transformation for Industries at GSMA Thrive - Al-Bawaba - July 5th, 2020
- AIOps and the evolution of IT infrastructure monitoring - IT Brief Australia - July 5th, 2020
- 360Quadrants Releases Top 10 Cloud Computing Software In 2020 edited by leading research firm - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - July 5th, 2020
- How to Watch Netflix With NordVPN: Does it Work in 2020 ? - Cloudwards - July 5th, 2020
- Migrating SaaS to Cloud: How to do it without disruption - Techiexpert.com - TechiExpert.com - July 4th, 2020
- SaaS Company OWNZONES is Keeping the Post-Production Industry in Motion During the Coronavirus Pandemic - Programming Insider - July 4th, 2020
- Huawei Rotating Chairman Highlights Practices and Prospects of 5G - MENAFN.COM - July 4th, 2020
- Cloud Server Market Research Report, Segment by Industry Player, Type, Application, Global Marketing Channel, and Region 2020-2025 - Cole of Duty - July 4th, 2020
- 5 Ways the Cloud Can Benefit Your Business During the Pandemic - Entrepreneur - July 4th, 2020
- Gulf economies to shrink by 7.6% this year, says IMF - Arab News - July 4th, 2020
- Hyperion Forecast Headwinds in 2020 Won't Stifle Cloud HPC Adoption or Arm's Rise - HPCwire - July 4th, 2020
- Intel Forced To Stop Supplying Chips To Chinese Inspur Cloud Server Manufacturer - Research Snipers - July 4th, 2020
- Cloud Infrastructure Market Size and Growth Analysis and Forecast To 2025 - Daily Research Chronicles - July 4th, 2020
- AIOps and the evolution of IT infrastructure monitoring - IT Brief New Zealand - July 4th, 2020
- The Global Virtualization in Industrial Automation Market is expected to grow by $ 216.39 mn during 2020-2024 progressing at a CAGR of 4% during the... - July 4th, 2020
- Boeing 737 MAX certification flight tests to begin - Arab News - July 4th, 2020
- Edge Computing Is A Red-Hot Tech Trend, Here's How To Invest in It - TheStreet - June 27th, 2020
- Docker servers infected with DDoS malware in extremely rare attacks - ZDNet - June 27th, 2020
- Nebulon emerges with software-defined storage, but from the cloud - ComputerWeekly.com - June 27th, 2020
- Ampere's New 128-Core Altra CPU Targets Intel, AMD In The Cloud - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - June 27th, 2020
- Cloud IT Infrastructure Spending Continued to Grow in Q1 2020 While Spending on Non-Cloud Environments Saw Double-Digit Declines, According to IDC -... - June 27th, 2020
- Empowering Edge Cloud in the 5G & IoT Hyper-Connected Era - insideHPC - June 27th, 2020
- Ampere's 128-Core Processor Challenges Intel and AMD in a Cloud-Based Processor Showdown - News - All About Circuits - June 27th, 2020
- This Ransomware Campaign is Being Orchestrated from the Cloud - Computer Business Review - June 27th, 2020
- Ad industry spots money in the cloud | Industry Trends | IBC - IBC365 - June 27th, 2020
- Want to work at Microsoft? Dice.com looks at top jobs, skills the tech giant is looking for - OnMSFT - June 27th, 2020
- The Winston-Salem Symphony Announces Newly Elected Directors - Yes! Weekly - June 27th, 2020
- The Best VPNs for Businesses and Teams - PCMag.com - June 27th, 2020
- NexTech AR Solutions tie-up with Fastly cloud platform leads to video security breakthrough - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - June 27th, 2020
- Moving to the cloud: Migrating Blazegraph to Amazon Neptune - idk.dev - June 27th, 2020
- Cloud-Based Automation Is a Reality; Now What? - Radio World - Radio World - June 27th, 2020
- How Azure, AWS, Google handle data destruction in the cloud - TechTarget - June 27th, 2020
- AMD EPYC Processor Adoption Expands with New Supercomputing and High-Performance Cloud Computing System Wins - GlobeNewswire - June 27th, 2020
- What it Means To Be Software-Defined in Retail and How We Got Here - Retail Info Systems News - June 27th, 2020
- Cloud Storage Market 2020: Challenges, Growth, Types, Applications, Revenue, Insights, Growth Analysis, Competitive Landscape, Forecast- 2025 - Cole... - June 27th, 2020
- Why This Cloud ETF Can Keep up its Torrid Pace - ETF Trends - June 20th, 2020
- FaceApp Privacy: What You Need To Know About The Viral Russian App - Forbes - June 20th, 2020
- Cloud flash storage: SSD options from AWS, Azure and GCP - ComputerWeekly.com - June 20th, 2020
- Could the European Cloud Deliver Data Protection by Default? - CPO Magazine - June 20th, 2020
- Private Cloud Server Market How the Business Will Grow in 2026? - Cole of Duty - June 20th, 2020
- How to Profit from the Growing Divide in Tech Stocks. - Barron's - June 20th, 2020
- Cloud Computing in Education Sector Market Size, Growth, Analysis, Outlook by 2019 Trends, Opportunities and Forecast to 2025 - Medic Insider - June 20th, 2020
- Lenovo announces ThinkSystem SR860 V2 and SR850 V2 servers - Gadgets Now - June 20th, 2020
- Here are 8 career options that are least impacted by recessions - Business Standard - June 20th, 2020