Shital Waters was a newcomer to computer science. The COVID-19 pandemic forced her to find novel ways to connect with her fellow graduate students. She joined several organizations that communicated via Zoom.
I still cant believe it sometimes, says Waters of the career possibilities that have ensued.
With five Northeastern classmates, Waters developed a project that has turned into a startup, BluePlanetAI, that will deploy underwater drones to detect dangerous bacteria before it can develop in oceans, lakes, and other bodies of water.
Waters has starred in a series of cultural YouTube videos that present serious issues in a lighthearted way. Courtesy Photo Shital Waters
In support of her efforts to create BluePlanetAI, Waters has received an inaugural $5,000 Innovator Award from Northeasterns Women Who Empower inclusion and entrepreneurship initiative. The awards recognize 19 women who are graduates or current students at Northeastern. The organization is distributing a total of $100,000 in grants to help fund 17 ventures.
BluePlanetAI is focused on mitigating harmful algae bloomsincluding red tidethat proliferate in sea and fresh water to create toxins that can harm people, fish, shellfish, marine mammals, and birds.
Waters team is developing a system in which drones would identify the harmful bacteria before the blooms can cause widespread damage. BluePlanetAI is in the early stage, and the Innovator Award is being applied to research and develop its technology.
Most of us were planning to work on this project throughout the masters program for two to three years, Waters says. But its become so much more than just a school project.
Waters, whose mother is from India, has had a diverse career. She has starred in a series of cultural videos that present serious issues in a lighthearted way. The most popular of their efforts, Dark Skinned & Indian, an eight-minute comedy of love overcoming prejudice, has earned more than two million views on YouTube since its 2014 release.
We were always coming up with ideas of what we could shoot next, says Waters, who had previously filmed a commercial with the production team. We decided there are so many problems in our own culture and community, why dont we try to raise awarenessbut in a way that is lighthearted, so people are entertained but still get the message.
In 2010, Waters survived a townhouse fire that was ignited by the explosion of a neighbors propane tank.
I had just got back from Indiamy parents were still in Indiaand I was sleeping when I heard a little crackle and my neighbors dog barking, says Waters, who woke up to see flames closing in on both sides of her second-floor room. She escaped without harm but she and her family lost everything they owned, including her fathers business as a mechanic, which he had operated from the garage. Waters worked three jobs to help support the family while she earned a bachelors degree in biology and biological sciences at San Jose State.
In one of her jobs, as a lead brand ambassador in the Bay Area for Models In Tech, Waters was trained to use, explain, and demonstrate tech products at trade shows and other public events.
I was around people who had years of experience, and I realized very quickly that it was a male-dominated field, Waters says. When I would ask them questions, hoping to get some quality advice, I felt like I wasnt taken seriously and kind of pushed to the side. Or if I felt they were going to give me some great advice, it came with expectationsthey had some intention behind it. It discouraged me a bit.
She enrolled in the Align program at Northeasterns location in San Francisco to pursue a masters in computer science. Waters says she has been inspired by her role in BluePlanetAI as a co-founder and software engineer, her inclusion in a variety of campus groups, and the support of Women Who Empower.
The award was so great because of the support I was getting from such powerful women, says Waters. Its something I strive to do as wellI hope I can help other young women to be successful.
Id like to motivate women who have gone through the same path as me and have had the same kinds of struggles. I want them to know they should never give up and keep pushing through, because if you do, you will make it.
The Innovator Awards are meant to strengthen Northeasterns community of entrepreneurs, says Betsy Ludwig, executive director of womens entrepreneurship at Northeastern.
With BluePlanetAI, Shital is seeking to solve one of the worlds biggest, most complex challenges of our lifetime: monitoring and protecting our oceans from climate change, says Ludwig. As we know, our oceans affect everything from the air we breathe to the food we eat. We admire Shitals commitment to ambitious innovation and are thrilled to be supporting her with a Women who Empower Innovator Award as an entrepreneur, scientist and innovator.
The experience has elevated Waters career expectations.
If this really takes off, which Im hoping it does, then Ill be focusing on this, Waters says of BluePlanetAI. But I would also like to do other things in terms of entrepreneurship. There are just so many problems out there that can be solved using new advanced technologies.
For media inquiries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read the original post:
- SAP : Helping to Close the Computer Science Education Disparity - marketscreener.com - December 3rd, 2021
- Women of the Well House supports new campus programs: Indiana University Kokomo - IUK Newsroom - December 3rd, 2021
- Diving Into The Strange World Of Xenobots - Science Friday - December 3rd, 2021
- Silicon Valley beckoned, but he went home to Delaware - MIT News - December 3rd, 2021
- Two UB faculty receive NSF funding to study social media in disaster response - UB Now: News and views for UB faculty and staff - University at... - December 3rd, 2021
- Santa Reminds Us to Be Our Best Year Round - goskagit.com - December 3rd, 2021
- Announcing SWENext Award Recipients from WE21 - All Together - Society of Women Engineers - December 3rd, 2021
- App State researchers working to save honeybees with informatics - Watauga Democrat - December 3rd, 2021
- Hundreds of UC faculty named among the world's Highly Cited Researchers - University of California - December 3rd, 2021
- Kids, teens believe girls aren't interested in computer science, study shows - UW News - November 28th, 2021
- At UF, we are working together to provide Florida teachers and students with computer science skills | Column - Tampa Bay Times - November 28th, 2021
- Pakistani scientist ranked among top 1% computer science researchers - Geo News - November 28th, 2021
- Computer Scientist Gets Grant To Strengthen Software Protection - University of Texas at Dallas - November 28th, 2021
- Ahead of their time - The People's Defender - November 28th, 2021
- Computer Conservation - Harvard School of Engineering and Applied Sciences - November 28th, 2021
- Singapore's first free, teacher-less computer science programme to be launched by 2022 - The Straits Times - November 28th, 2021
- A chance to focus on an academic passion at Oxford - Harvard Gazette - November 28th, 2021
- Northern College hosts gaming tournament and hopes to attract future students with a new computer program - CTV News Northern Ontario - November 28th, 2021
- Student cyber competition team is fifth of 120 competing in DOE contest - UAH News - November 28th, 2021
- New algorithm could save lives: Predicts COVID-related intensive care unit resource use University of Copenhagen - EurekAlert - November 28th, 2021
- COVID-19: Vitamin D may be able to 'switch off' lung inflammation - Medical News Today - November 28th, 2021
- In MIT visit, Dropbox CEO Drew Houston '05 explores the accelerated shift to distributed work - MIT News - November 28th, 2021
- This SanDisk NVMe SSD deal is too good to pass up even if you don't need a new SSD - TechRadar - November 28th, 2021
- Where are all the hacktivists? - BCS - November 28th, 2021
- Save 97% off a course bundle that covers all things computer science - BleepingComputer - November 17th, 2021
- Cameron University's CU in Computing presentation to focus on Computer Science and Information Technology degree programs - Duncan Banner - November 17th, 2021
- Bias in Algorithms | The Inference Project - Yale News - November 17th, 2021
- Infosys Commits to 3-Year Investment in Thurgood Marshall College Fund - Yahoo Finance - November 17th, 2021
- The tech behind popular cryptocurrencies, explained - Popular Science - November 17th, 2021
- When will a robot write a novel? Harvard computer scientist shares his thoughts - Harvard Gazette - November 17th, 2021
- At SC21, Plenary Wrestles With the Ethics of Mainstreamed HPC - HPCwire - November 17th, 2021
- Governor Abbott Encourages Texas High Schoolers To Participate In CyberStart America - Office of the Texas Governor - November 17th, 2021
- USF physicists selected as finalists for the 'Nobel Prize of supercomputing' - University of South Florida - November 17th, 2021
- 4 universities nurturing tomorrow's women STEM experts - Study International News - November 17th, 2021
- SAS and Sphero Address Coding Needs of Students with Visual Impairments - T.H.E. Journal - November 17th, 2021
- Portland State University experiments with Attend Anywhere model - OPB News - November 17th, 2021
- The long term effects of sexism on women in STEM - Utahstatesman - November 13th, 2021
- Cameron University's CU in Computing presentation to focus on Computer Science and Information Technology degree programs - Chickasha Express Star - November 13th, 2021
- Certificate in computer science: What you need to know - ZDNet - November 13th, 2021
- Calling outstanding young researchers in mathematics and computer science! - EurekAlert - November 13th, 2021
- Governor Hutchinson's Weekly Address | Arkansas Takes the World Stage with New Technologies - Governor Asa Hutchinson - November 13th, 2021
- New CMU Robotics director says diversity is key to the institute's future - 90.5 WESA - November 13th, 2021
- Simulating Galaxy Formation in Mesmerizing Detail for Clues to the Universe - SciTechDaily - November 13th, 2021
- Collaboration on Data and Computational Sciences Announces 2021-2022 Projects to Advance Cancer Breakthroughs - HPCwire - November 13th, 2021
- Algorithms aren't fair. Robin Burke wants to change that - CU Boulder Today - November 13th, 2021
- Research Associate in Artificial Intelligence / Robotics, Multi-Agent Path Finding job with ROYAL HOLLOWAY, UNIVERSITY OF LONDON | 271630 - Times... - November 13th, 2021
- Report: Southeast New Mexico's rural school districts struggle in computer science - Carlsbad Current Argus - November 10th, 2021
- Washington People: Chenyang Lu - The Source - Washington University in St. Louis - Washington University in St. Louis Newsroom - November 10th, 2021
- GA Dept of Ed Awards Third Round of Grants to Build Computer Science Teacher Capacity - All On Georgia - November 10th, 2021
- Facebook Isn't Shutting Down Its Facial Recognition System After All - News @ Northeastern - News@Northeastern - November 10th, 2021
- Tableau to add new business science tools to analytics suite - TechTarget - November 10th, 2021
- Top 10 Best Women Programmers of All Time - Analytics Insight - November 10th, 2021
- This 26-year-old doubled his income by switching to computer scienceand using a key negotiating trick - CNBC - November 8th, 2021
- Partnership advances K-12 classrooms computer science classes to among the top in the nation - Beckley Register-Herald - November 8th, 2021
- WVU Today | WVU, W. Va. Dept. of Education partnership advances K-12 classrooms computer science classes to among the top in the nation - WVU Today - November 8th, 2021
- More Than Half of High Schools Now Offer Computer Science, But Inequities Persist - Education Week - November 8th, 2021
- West Virginia among top in the country for access to computer science education - My Buckhannon - November 8th, 2021
- $15 million to the University of Utah and $25 million to Utah Valley University will expand computer science programs - Salt Lake Tribune - November 8th, 2021
- Assistant Professor of Computer Science job with University of North Carolina at Greensboro | 401826 - The Chronicle of Higher Education - November 8th, 2021
- Free Tucson course teaches basics of computing to attract new workers - Arizona Daily Star - November 8th, 2021
- 'Ever Brighter' campaign a highlight at Homecoming - University of Miami - November 8th, 2021
- 3 Questions: Blending computing with other disciplines at MIT - MIT News - November 8th, 2021
- Data Analytics: How to prepare for the next big job of the future - Study International News - November 8th, 2021
- 2U Announces Partnership with the National University of Singapore, One of Asia's Top-Ranked Global Universities, to Expand Online Professional... - November 8th, 2021
- UMass Amherst College of Information and Computer Sciences to Unveil Major Private Gift and Significant New State Investment on Wednesday - UMass News... - October 26th, 2021
- $25M gift to help fund computer science, information building | The University Record - The University Record - October 26th, 2021
- Assistant Professor, Teaching in Computer Science job with DURHAM UNIVERSITY | 269406 - Times Higher Education (THE) - October 26th, 2021
- XJTLU now in ESI Top 1% in the world in 3 fields - WSAZ-TV - October 26th, 2021
- Mapping the mind's eye | ASU News - ASU Now - October 26th, 2021
- Hunger Drove Me into it; Computer Science Graduate into Fixing Nails for the Past 16 Years Says in Video Nigeria news - Legit.ng - October 26th, 2021
- Thriving, Where Business and Technology Meet | Maryland Smith - Robert H. Smith School of Business - October 26th, 2021
- New Vice Provost for Digital Education on innovating for educational equity - Stanford Report - Stanford University News - October 26th, 2021
- UA researchers set to take part in energy study - Arkansas Online - October 26th, 2021
- Bachelor's in Computer Science - October 14th, 2021
- Computer Science Courses, Subjects, Colleges, Syllabus ... - October 14th, 2021
- Project aims to expand pool of computer science teachers and computer scientists - The Den - October 14th, 2021
- Research helps Blugold discover how computer science, health care intersect - University of Wisconsin System - October 14th, 2021
- Researchers receive grant to predict the mechanics of living cells - EurekAlert - October 14th, 2021
- University of Queensland Professor David Abramson Wins High Performance Computing Award - HPCwire - October 14th, 2021
- These neural networks know what they're doing - MIT News - October 14th, 2021