A SA startup which hit the headlines earlier this year for having raised one of the biggest equity crowdfunding rounds in South Africa, has had to give back over R25-million of the raise because the money that investors pledged was suspect.
In May, SA regtech startup Intergreatme announced that it had raised over R32.6-million in a campaign run on local equity crowdfunding campaign Uprise.Africa.
The startup which was founded in 2016 by James Lawson,Dewald Thiart and Luke Warner (pictured above) has an identity management platform which provides users with control of their identities across financial services, telecommunications and insurance.
At the time, Uprise.Africa CEO Tabassum Qadir called the raise a record for African crowdfunding. The investment in exchange for a 20% share in the startup (see this story).
But that has now been caste in doubt.
Intergreatmes Dewald Thiart said he couldnt confirm or deny whether the withdrawn R25m, was linked to politically exposed individuals
An email from Intergreatme (that Ventureburn has a copy of) sent to investors on 30 September, informed those that took part in the raise that the startup would only be accepting R6-million, because the source of the funds from five pledges failed the platforms compliance process.
Read the email:
Please be advised that one group which made five substantial pledges have failed our Compliance Process.
Acknowledging that some investors have been motivated to invest by hearing of the amazing R32-million received in pledges, you are reminded that, should you be having second thoughts you are welcome to withdraw your investment prior to subscribing for shares. Should you elect to do this, your funds will be returned to you, timing being subject to Uprises confirmation of compliance with due diligence procedures.
In light of the above the Intergreatme board has resolved to accept R6,000,000.00 (Six Million Rand) of the funds pledged in terms of the Crowd Funding Campaign/Primary Offering and is considering either, raising the balance through a secondary offering/listing on ZAR X or through private investors at a higher valuation, read the letter.
While Intergreatmes CEO Luke Warner wasnt immediately available, Thiart referred all questions about the campaign to Uprise.Africa, adding that as the platform has the FSCA license,
From a legal stance we were advised that Uprise.Africa would be dealing with that, he said.
When asked whether he could confirm whether the over R25-million that was withdrawn, was linked to politically exposed individuals, Thiart said: I cannot confirm or deny that.
Contacted by Ventureburn Uprise. Africa CEO Tabbassum Qadir confirmed that the startup was only going to take R6-million and that the platform had opted not to accept the remaining amount because from investors because it had failed to meet FICA compliance.
Qadir explained only that the source of over R25-million in funds that were turned down wasnt clear, adding that the platform had therefore taken a decision not to accept it.
That money was rejected, said Qadir. We cannot jeopardise out platform, she added.
She said the plan is to now raise the balance of the R25-million via a listing on the ZAR X platform.
The equity crowdfunding platform signed a deal earlier this year with ZAR X, which would allow investments raised on the crowdfunding platform to list as shares on ZAR X, where they can be traded with other investors (see this story).
She expects the listing to take place in February or March. It would follow the listing of the R6-million that has been approved by Uprise.Africa. This would allow the 300 investors whose R6-million it is, to sell their share to other investors, if they so wanted to, said Qadir.
Qadir is confident that ZAR X listing will be able to net the remaining R25-million, or more and points out that taking into account amounts that were pledged after the Intergreatme campaign closed on Uprise.Africa, the platform received pledges totaling over R60-million for the startups offering.
Meanwhile a question mark hangs over a second Uprise.Africa raise.
In September it emerged that Uprise.Africs was conducting due diligence on investment offers from four investors to fund My Name is Reeva,a new documentary series on the life of Reeva Steenkamp, who was murdered in 2013 by athlete Oscar Pistorius (see this story).
This, after Warren Batchelor, the films director and co-producer and Tony Miguel, the films co-producer in launched an equity crowdfunding campaign on the platform in August to raise R40-million in return for a 50% stake in the film (see this story).
When asked by Ventureburn last week what had become of the campaign, Qadir said the campaign was never opened to the public, after the producers were able to raise R20-million from local investors.
Explained Qadir: They (the producers) didnt want to open it to the crowd, because of the public concern.
When asked what concern this was, she explained that Oscars family can bring a legal order or whatever.
She said the producers are taking legal advice on whether they can match the R20-million from investors sourced via a campaign on Uprise.Africa or whether the other R20-million must come from another investor, outside of the platform.
Read more: Uprise.Africa mulling offers from four investors for R40m Reeva documentary campaignRead more:Uprise.Africa launches R40m Reeva Steenkamp documentary crowdfunding campaignRead more: How we raised R29m in seven days via crowdfunding Intergreatme man [Q&A] [Updated]Read more:SAs Intergreatme sets Africa crowdfunding record with over R28m raised in just daysRead more:SA regtech Intergreatme out to raise R24m through crowdfunding site Uprise.Africa
Featured image: Intergreatme CEO and co-founder Luke Warner (Facebook)
- State to match crowdfunding money raised to help restaurant recovery from pandemic - FOX 2 Detroit - June 17th, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 Outbreak on Global Crowd Funding Market 2020 Industry Size, Advancement Strategy, Top Players, SWOT Analysis and 2025 Forecasts -... - June 17th, 2020
- Funding defamation and privacy proceedings - are there still options? - Lexology - June 17th, 2020
- Wallingford RFC raise money to replace kit after it was stolen by thieves - Oxford Mail - June 17th, 2020
- How Crowdfunding platforms help businesses cushion the effects of the COVID-19 crisis - Born2Invest - June 8th, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 on Crowd Funding 2020 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 29th, 2020
- Milagrow ventures into crowdfunding with launch of massaging robot Wheeme 2020 - Economic Times - May 25th, 2020
- Hotel resorts to crowd funding to stay afloat - Daily Business - April 21st, 2020
- Global Crowd Funding Market: Which companies will have a strong foothold? - Feed Road - March 2nd, 2020
- Crowd Funding Market to Witness Slow Growth Owing to Unfavorable Government Policies in 2016 2022 - Redhill Local Councillors - February 16th, 2020
- How the sands have shifted on Awaroa, 'New Zealand's beach' - Stuff.co.nz - February 16th, 2020
- Online crowdfunding platform market was estimated to be US$ 456.51 Mn in 2018 and is expected to reach US$ 752.56 Mn by 2027 growing at a CAGR of 5.2%... - February 14th, 2020
- Online Crowdfunding Platform Market Estimated to be US$ 456.51 Mn in 2018 and is Expected to Reach US$ 752.56 Mn by 2027 Growing at a CAGR of 5.2%... - February 1st, 2020
- Crowdfunding platforms probably wont replace investment banks, but they will shake things up a bit - Stockhead - February 1st, 2020
- Hundreds of Canadian transplant patients crowd fund to cover costs, study says - National Post - January 12th, 2020
- Now, BBMP looking at CSR to rejuvenate lakes - The Hindu - December 21st, 2019
- Crowd funding initiative for government school - The Hindu - December 10th, 2019
- Crowd Funding Market 2025: Topmost manufacturers With Size, Regions, Types, Major Drivers, Profits - BoundWatch - December 10th, 2019
- Crowd Funding Size, Growth, Analysis Of Key- players Types And Application, Outlook 2025 - 101Newsindustry - December 7th, 2019
- Parents of Beatriz Farmer-Maia raise over 30000 to fund her treatment to beat childhood cancer - Islington Gazette - November 19th, 2019
- How to Crowdfund (with Pictures) - wikiHow - June 7th, 2018
- Property Crowd Funding - The Magic of Modern Day Investing - HuffPost - September 4th, 2017
- Getting Crowdfunding Fundamentals Down to A Science In Advance Of Campaign Key To Success - HuffPost - August 28th, 2017
- Dreamhost Crowd-Funding Legal Action Against DOJ - eWeek - August 22nd, 2017
- Buy a share in a brewery: Pozible launches equity crowd-funding site Birchal - The Sydney Morning Herald - August 1st, 2017
- Woman who contracted E.Coli returns home from Turkey after crowd funding appeal - Glasgow Live - July 9th, 2017
- Africa's first impact-focused equity crowd funding portal founder ... - CNBCAfrica.com - July 5th, 2017
- Crowd funding campaign to save a two-year-old kid - Times of India - July 2nd, 2017
- Arrowtown musician Holly Arrowsmith crowd funding new album - The Southland Times - June 26th, 2017
- Ex-Googler Lina Gantar launches crowd funding agency in Manchester - Manchester Evening News - June 25th, 2017
- Crowd funding could be used to buy the long-vacant Bell Building downtown - Wyoming Tribune - June 24th, 2017
- Wyo. Sec of State unveils new crowdfunding platform - Wyoming Business Report - June 16th, 2017
- Wyo. Sect'y of State unveils new crowdfunding platform - Wyoming Business Report - June 14th, 2017
- Where is the crowd-funding for the destitute? - News24 - June 9th, 2017
- Florida education news: #HB7069, teacher diversity, crowd funding and more - Tampabay.com (blog) - June 5th, 2017
- BBB Has Advice Before You Contribute To A Crowd Funding Site - Newstalkkgvo - June 2nd, 2017
- Catapooolt all set to Catapult Crowdfunding in India with an Asian Record - Bizztor (press release) (blog) - May 19th, 2017
- Should you invest in Bitcoins, crowd funding, P2P lending? - Economic Times - May 15th, 2017
- Cork Foundation's Live Crowd Funding event - The Avondhu Press (press release) - May 6th, 2017
- Will crowdfunding get a synthetic biology win? - PLoS Blogs (blog) - May 3rd, 2017
- Impact Guru, GlobalGiving tie-up to scale crowd funding in India - Daily News & Analysis - May 2nd, 2017
- Plastc Card Is Cancelled: The Dangers Of Crowd Funding Tech - Forbes - April 29th, 2017
- Can crowd funding help scale up solar power for Africa's poor? - The Standard (press release) - April 25th, 2017
- Donate safely: Avoiding crowd funding scams - KXLY Spokane - April 20th, 2017
- Maharashtra schools raise Rs 216 crore via crowd funding - The Indian Express - April 18th, 2017
- Crowdfunding: affordable bee surveillance for hive health - Scoop.co.nz (press release) - March 29th, 2017
- Crowd funding: SECP warns of false scheme - The Express Tribune - March 28th, 2017
- Arsenal fan plots sensational crowdfunding campaign to BUY the club from owner Stan Kroenke - The Sun - March 23rd, 2017
- How to make crowdfunding work for you - Buffalo Business First - February 13th, 2017
- Crowd funding | ASIC's MoneySmart - September 17th, 2016
- Crowd Funding - October 23rd, 2015
- Crowdfunding - P2P Foundation - October 23rd, 2015
- Comparison of crowdfunding services - Wikipedia, the free ... - September 5th, 2015
- Fundraising Script,Crowd Funding Script,Crowdfunding ... - August 14th, 2015
- The Life Chest: Crowd Funding Video - Video - May 5th, 2015
- THIS TOKYO #FASHION BRAND GIFT CLOTHING & ACCESSORIES SURPRISE! #THIStm - Video - May 4th, 2015
- THIS LOVE #FASHION BRAND GIFT CLOTHING & ACCESSORIES SURPRISE! #THIStm - Video - May 4th, 2015
- THIS PSYCHIC #FASHION BRAND GIFT CLOTHING & ACCESSORIES SURPRISE! #THIStm - Video - May 4th, 2015
- THIS SUPER #FASHION BRAND GIFT CLOTHING & ACCESSORIES SURPRISE! #THIStm - Video - May 4th, 2015
- THIS ROADHOUSE #FASHION BRAND GIFT CLOTHING & ACCESSORIES SURPRISE! #THIStm - Video - May 4th, 2015
- THIS BEYOND #FASHION BRAND GIFT CLOTHING & ACCESSORIES SURPRISE! #THIStm - Video - May 4th, 2015
- THIS HEARTBREAKER #FASHION BRAND GIFT CLOTHING & ACCESSORIES SURPRISE! #THIStm - Video - May 4th, 2015
- THIS WWW #FASHION BRAND GIFT CLOTHING & ACCESSORIES SURPRISE! #THIStm - Video - May 4th, 2015
- THIS GENUINE #FASHION BRAND GIFT CLOTHING & ACCESSORIES SURPRISE! #THIStm - Video - May 4th, 2015
- True Colours Crowd funding Campaign - Video - May 4th, 2015
- THIS NEW YORK 2015 #FASHION BRAND GIFT CLOTHING & ACCESSORIES SURPRISE! #THIStm - Video - May 4th, 2015
- Armitage Dinosaur - crowd-funding video - Video - May 3rd, 2015
- Who benefits from crowd funding? - Video - May 3rd, 2015
- The Man Who Found His Freedom - Video - May 3rd, 2015
- Crowd Funding proof V1 - Video - May 3rd, 2015
- TEN FOOT TONE - New CD - TASTE GOOD - Video - May 3rd, 2015
- One Spark/Tamarin Fruits - Video - May 1st, 2015
- Crowd Funding Video- BROKEN ROAD (Short Film) - Video - April 30th, 2015
- Crowd Funding video San Jose Bike Clinic - Video - April 28th, 2015
- Domestic Violence & Abuse Help Break the Cycle - Seed the Books Crowd Funding Campaign - Video - April 28th, 2015
- LEARN IT | BUILD IT | MANAGE IT: FINANCING - Crowd Funding - Video - April 27th, 2015
- Crowd Funding- Habitat for Humanity Charity Trip to Cebu in June 2015 - Video - April 27th, 2015
- Annalakshmi on the swan Crowd funding 14 04 15 WM - Video - April 26th, 2015
- Beat Buddy Inside Story - Video - April 26th, 2015
- Engineers Corset Crowd Funding Video - Video - April 26th, 2015