Google has finally absorbed the healthcare unit of its artificial intelligence company DeepMind, the British company it acquired for 400 million ($500 million) in 2016.
The change means that DeepMind Health, the unit which focuses on using AI to improve medical care, is now part of Google's own dedicated healthcare unit. Google Health was created in November 2018, and is run by big-name healthcare CEO David Feinberg.
DeepMind's clinical lead, Dominic King, announced the change in a blogpost on Wednesday. King will continue to lead the team out of London.
It has taken some 10 months for the integration to happen.
It also comes one month after the DeepMind cofounder overseeing that division, Mustafa Suleyman, confirmed that he was on leave from the business for unspecified reasons. He has said he plans to return to DeepMind before the end of the year.
Read more:The cofounder of Google's AI company DeepMind hit back at 'speculation' over his leave of absence
Suleyman spearheaded DeepMind's "applied" division, which focuses on the practical application of artificial intelligence in areas such as healthcare and energy. DeepMind's other cofounder and CEO, Demis Hassabis, is more focused on the academic side of the business and the firm's research efforts.
One source with knowledge of the matter said Google planned to take more control of DeepMind's "applied" division, leaving Suleyman's future role at the business unclear. The shift would essentially leave DeepMind as a research-only organization, with Google focused on commercializing its findings. "They've created a private university for AI in Britain," the person said.
DeepMind hinted as much in November, when it announced the Streams app would fall under Google's auspices.
DeepMind cofounder, Mustafa Suleyman, who is on leave from the business. DeepMind
DeepMind declined to comment.
The integration sees DeepMind's health partnerships with Britain's state-funded health system, the NHS, continued under Google Health, something that may raise eyebrows. A New Scientist investigation in 2016 revealed that DeepMind, with its Streams app, had extensive access to 1.6 million patients' data in an arrangement with London's Royal Free Hospital. A UK regulator ruled that the data-sharing agreement was unlawful. The revelations triggered public outcry over worries that a US tech giant, Google, might gain access to confidential patient data for profit.
DeepMind's current NHS partnerships include Moorfields Eye Hospital to detect eye disease, and University College Hospital on cancer radiotherapy treatment. In the US, it has partnered the US Department of Veterans Affairs on predicting patient deterioration. Dominic King, DeepMind's clinical lead, wrote in a post: "We see enormous potential in continuing, and scaling, our work with all three partners in the coming years as part of Google Health."
He added: "As has always been the case, our partners are in full control of all patient data and we will only use patient data to help improve care, under their oversight and instructions."
Go here to read the rest:
- BetMGM Has Crazy 100-1 Odds On The Yankees or Nats To Go Deep Tonight - Crossing Broad - July 25th, 2020
- Chest-Deep' Wildflowers Are Blooming in Reds Meadow - NBC Southern California - July 25th, 2020
- The Man-Eater part 3 - Lake County Record-Bee - July 25th, 2020
- SPIRIT MATTERS: Breathing through the day - LaSalle News Tribune - July 25th, 2020
- Coping with COVID: These stunning Instagram artworks dive deep into the mind - Cond Nast Traveller India - July 8th, 2020
- COVID-19 Update: Global Mindfulness Meditation Apps Market is Expected to Grow at a Healthy CAGR with top players Deep Relax, Smiling Mind, Inner... - July 8th, 2020
- Pralaya Yoga's Adult Nap Time Could Be the Lullaby You're Needing in 2020 - Houstonia Magazine - July 8th, 2020
- Mindfulness Meditation Apps Market (impact of COVID-19) To See Massive Growth By 2026| Committee for Children, Insights Network, Inc., Smiling Mind,... - July 8th, 2020
- 'McMindfulness,' and why deep breathing isn't always the answer - Dailyuw - July 8th, 2020
- Deep cultural shifts required: open letter from 500 legal women calls for reform of way judges are appointed and disciplined - Women's Agenda - July 8th, 2020
- Mental Health and Coping Tips - Wexner Medical Center - The Ohio State University - July 8th, 2020
- Yes, Mr Cummings, energy efficiency is boring if you have a one inch deep mind - The Fifth Estate - July 7th, 2020
- Breaking News - Documentary "Stockton on My Mind" Debuts July 28 on HBO - The Futon Critic - July 7th, 2020
- The Importance and the Consequences of Writing a Will - The Wire - July 7th, 2020
- Deep cultural shifts required: open letter from 500 legal women calls for reform of way judges are appointed and disciplined - UNSW Newsroom - July 7th, 2020
- Married to the Military: Dont neglect your mental health - The Fayetteville Observer - July 7th, 2020
- Suddenly, The Investment Market Comes Out Of The Deep Freeze - Bisnow - July 7th, 2020
- In Conversation: Thandie Newton - Vulture - July 7th, 2020
- Backstory: Emergency by Any Other Name Cuts as Deep - The Wire - July 4th, 2020
- FAMILY MATTERS: Open eyes and mind to teen's ascent to adulthood - Eagle-Tribune - July 4th, 2020
- Experts see 'deep trouble' for Trump overcoming plummet in the polls - Missoula Current - July 4th, 2020
- Love that stifles... - Deccan Herald - July 4th, 2020
- The long road back from COVID-19 - The Boston Globe - July 4th, 2020
- The Ripple: Healing Divisive Minds and Grieving Hearts - Aledo Times Record - July 2nd, 2020
- Deep sea coral garden found in the unlikeliest of places - Metro.co.uk - July 2nd, 2020
- Georgia on my mind - The Parliament Magazine - July 2nd, 2020
- COVID-19 and Teletherapy May Be Changing How Much You Know About Your Therapist - Michigan Medicine - July 2nd, 2020
- A conversation about racism opened my eyes The Foothills Focus - Foothills Focus - July 2nd, 2020
- Eric and Wendy Schmidt back Cambridge University effort to equip researchers with A.I. skills - CNBC - June 29th, 2020
- Change Our Mind: it is your civic duty to buy performance estates - Top Gear - June 29th, 2020
- Research: Artificial neural networks are more similar to the brain than we thought - TNW - June 29th, 2020
- Moving forward by turning to the past: Oregon Historical Quarterly takes a deep dive into Oregons white supremacist roots - KGW.com - June 29th, 2020
- Trump's scorched-earth handling of environment extends to oceans too - Las Vegas Sun - June 29th, 2020
- Is that really everything you have to give? | Yon - Tallahassee Democrat - June 29th, 2020
- Why Facebook chose to open its first European A.I. lab in Paris and not London - CNBC - June 23rd, 2020
- Decoding the link between Artificial Neural Networks and Deep Learning Algorithms - Analytics Insight - June 23rd, 2020
- Deftones' 'White Pony': 10 Things We Learned From Chino Moreno - Revolver Magazine - June 23rd, 2020
- Stranger Things: David Harbour compares Hopper to Gandalf the White - lcbcradio.com - June 23rd, 2020
- #9 Ways How Meditation Can Strengthen Our Mind, Body, and Soul - Entrepreneur - June 23rd, 2020
- Which Type of Yoga Should You Try? - United News of Bangladesh - June 23rd, 2020
- If You Want to Change, Start from the Ground Up - SFGate - June 23rd, 2020
- The Ripple: Equality and Balance is an Inside Job - Newton Press Mentor - June 20th, 2020
- Matters of the mind: Impact of lockdown and Covid-19 on marriages - The Indian Express - June 20th, 2020
- Something to Muench on: In a word, priceless! - The Cross Timbers Gazette - June 20th, 2020
- What came to mind when I acted dead - Daily Trust - June 20th, 2020
- The race to develop AI chips heats up as Graphcore says it's shipped 'tens of thousands' - CNBC - June 9th, 2020
- Stay Home, Watch Horror: 5 Deep Space Horror Movies to Stream This Week - Bloody Disgusting - June 9th, 2020
- COVID-19 Pandemic Spurs Strong Demand for Cloud AI in Warehousing, Healthcare and Conversational AI - Olean Times Herald - June 9th, 2020
- Thanks To Renewables And Machine Learning, Google Now Forecasts The Wind - Forbes - June 2nd, 2020
- New York's state of mind: Part II -- Former TH reporter shares account of COVID-19 in Big Apple - telegraphherald.com - June 2nd, 2020
- Dalai Lama and UW expert share message of hope, determination, and education of the mind - University of Wisconsin-Madison - June 2nd, 2020
- The top ten Scottish bands ever (from the mind of Alan Partridge) Aidan Smith - The Scotsman - June 2nd, 2020
- 5 natural ways to boost your mental health during stressful times - wreg.com - June 2nd, 2020
- DeepMind's AI Can Predict the Progression of AMD Eye Condition - Analytics Insight - May 25th, 2020
- New AI from DeepMind and Google can detect a common cause of blindness - The Next Web - May 25th, 2020
- Best Deep Sleep Music To Calm Your Mind at Night - SheKnows - May 25th, 2020
- Crash mastered and all-time high in mind - Tradimo - May 25th, 2020
- 'This is my deep breath': New Jersey pro surfer returns to the water in Ventnor for the first time since coronavirus closed the beach - Press of... - May 25th, 2020
- Google wants to give 'superpowers' to clinicians. Today it's helping them find hotel rooms - FierceHealthcare - May 25th, 2020
- This free AI chatbot helps businesses fight COVID-19 misinformation - The Next Web - May 25th, 2020
- Orange Grove resident helps to heal your mind through sound - Rosebank Killarney Gazette - May 25th, 2020
- AI collaboration develops an 'early warning system' for AMD - AOP - May 25th, 2020
- Mind-Blowing Deep Cosmos Discovery: The Oldest Disk Galaxy From The Earliest Days Of The Universe - Dual Dove - May 25th, 2020
- Facebook's head of AI says Elon Musk 'has no idea what he is talking about' - Business Insider India - May 15th, 2020
- Elon Musk has a complex relationship with the A.I. community - CNBC - May 15th, 2020
- Mind the Digital Gap - World Coal - May 15th, 2020
- New "Mind the Gap" resource from IADSA focuses on threat to eye health from blue light - Nutritional Outlook - May 15th, 2020
- Lockdown really frees the mind to delve deep into thoughts of future - The National - May 15th, 2020
- 'Spring Rain' Is a Superb Graphic Memoir of the Vagaries of Mind and Memory - PopMatters - May 15th, 2020
- Henry Ford III is rising to top of dynasty in deep trouble - San Antonio Express-News - May 15th, 2020
- 6 Nutrition Tips to Help You Sleep Better and Run Faster - runnersworld.com - May 15th, 2020
- Plan2Explore adapts to exploration tasks without fine-tuning - VentureBeat - May 15th, 2020
- The Well Gardened Mind by Sue Stuart-Smith review unwinding with nature - The Guardian - May 6th, 2020
- Can the Modern Mind Find Peace Without Delusion? - On the elusiveness of gratitude and confidence in our times - Chabad.org - May 6th, 2020
- World Asthma Day 2020: Things asthma patients must keep in mind - The Indian Express - May 6th, 2020
- Deep-rooted canola holds on in the dry - Farm Weekly - May 6th, 2020
- Exploring the life and legacy of Selena, 25 years later - KHOU.com - May 6th, 2020
- Machine Learning Artificial intelligence Market 2020, Thrives the Growth at Impressive CAGR Over Forecast Period 2027 COVID-19 Impact on Global... - May 2nd, 2020
- Googles AI can adjust voice emotion, pitch, and speed with 30 minutes of data - VentureBeat - May 2nd, 2020
- The Original Pawleys Island Introduces the Comfort Collection Deep Seating Swing just in time for Mother's Day - PRNewswire - April 22nd, 2020