Let us consider a probability measure of a measurable space . Further, let , valid for the entire post.
Venn diagram of a possible constellation of the sets and
Let us directly start with the formal definition of a conditional probability. Illustrations and explanations follow immediately afterwards.
Definition (Conditional Probability)Let be a probability space and . The real value
is the probability of given that has occurred. is the probability that both events and occur and is the new basic set since .
A conditional probability, denoted by , is a probability measure of an event occurring, given that another event has already occurred. That is, reflects the probability that both events and occur relative to the new basic set .
The objective of is two-fold:
The last bullet-point 2. actually means since we know (by assumption, presumption, assertion or evidence) that has been occurred. In particular, cannot be a null set since . Due to the additivity of a probability space we get as . The knowledge about might be interpreted as an additional piece of information that we have received over time.
The following examples are going to illustrate this very basic concept.
Example (Default Rates)Let us assume that represents the set of all defaulting companies in the world, and represents the defaulting companies in Germany. Hereby, we further assume . Let us further assume that the average probability of default of equals . If we restrict the population to defaulting companies located in Germany, our estimate can be updated by this knowledge. For instance, we could state that .
As a motivation of the above example, the latest S&Ps 2018 Annual Global Corporate Default And RatingTransition Study and 2018 CreditReform Default Study of German companies state average default rates.
Example (Urn)An urn contains 3 white and 3 black balls. Two balls will be drawn successively without putting the balls back to the urn. We are interested in the event
white ball in the second draw
The probability of depends obviously on the result of the first draw. We distinguish two cases as follows.
Notice that . In addition, please realize that and / are independent since we have not put the ball back to the urn.
Let us consider the probability measure derived from the conditional probability in more detail.
Theorem:Let be a probability space, and . The map
defines a probability measure on .
Proof:Apparently, since and for all . Further, . The -additivity follow by
As outlined in the last section of this post, the conditional probability is the probability that both events and occur relative to the new basic set . Let us transform the conditional probability formula as follows:
Hence, we can conclude that
Formula (1) is also called Bayes Rule or Bayes Theorem.
Read the original here:
- The Mind-Altering Power of Deep Animal Connection - Sierra Magazine - February 13th, 2020
- Google Health, the company's newest product area, has ballooned to more than 500 employees - CNBC - February 13th, 2020
- Ryan Evans: Every invention begins with a curious mind - Akron Beacon Journal - February 13th, 2020
- Five Principles of Success - Thrive Global - February 13th, 2020
- Get Lost in the Mind of Yheti with New Album 'The Party Has Changed' [Album Review] - EDM Identity - February 13th, 2020
- 'This Is Us' Season 4: Kate in Abusive Relationship Hannah Zeile - TVLine - February 13th, 2020
- New decade, new you: 10 things you really can set your mind to doing in 2020 and beyond - Omaha World-Herald - February 11th, 2020
- DeepMind trains robots to insert USB keys and stack colored blocks - VentureBeat - February 11th, 2020
- Alabama man's Habitual Felony Offender Act sentence caused 'deep pain' for his sister, the last surviving member of their family - Southern Poverty... - February 11th, 2020
- Dan McCaslin: Post-Stroke Hiking and the Skylike Mind - Noozhawk - February 11th, 2020
- Slippery fish: How to remember your dreams - Thrive Global - February 11th, 2020
- Google's DeepMind AI trained by group of researchers to detect Breast Cancer - Brinkwire - February 11th, 2020
- How To Stay Motivated When Starting a Business - Thrive Global - February 11th, 2020
- New Poll Shows Deep Red Kansas Slipping Away From Trump And Republicans In 2020 - PoliticusUSA - February 11th, 2020
- Sundance 2020: Into the Deep Review: A frightening look inside the mind of a madman - AIPT - February 8th, 2020
- Bundle up, breathe deep and enjoy the fitness, emotional benefits of winter activities - Kokomo Perspective - February 8th, 2020
- How three minds of the body Brain, heart and gut, work together for producing Happiness - Thrive Global - February 8th, 2020
- Do this 1 thing before bed for greater happiness and success - Ladders - February 8th, 2020
- River guides don't mind the rain - The Baxter Bulletin - February 8th, 2020
- What Made Virginia Change Its Mind on Guns? - The New York Times - January 30th, 2020
- How to talk someone out of bigotry with deep canvassing - Vox.com - January 30th, 2020
- Advancing AI Through Collaborative Sprints at VA - GovernmentCIO Media - January 30th, 2020
- The connection between Penn wrestling and engineering is one that runs decades deep - The Daily Pennsylvanian - January 30th, 2020
- iPhone Sales and Wearables Help Crush Apple Earnings - Nasdaq - January 30th, 2020
- This AI startup went viral after fooling airport facial recognition with printed masks. Here's the pitch deck it used to raise $73 million from... - January 30th, 2020
- Health Beat: Promoting vitality connects the mind and body - Missoula Current - January 29th, 2020
- Fox News Is Losing Its Mind Over John Bolton - Mother Jones - January 29th, 2020
- How to Go Through Life with Love in Your Heart - Greater Good Science Center at UC Berkeley - January 29th, 2020
- Animal welfare expert Temple Grandin: Creative problem-solving takes visual minds - GreenBiz - January 29th, 2020
- Grum Discusses Deep State Recordings and What's to Come in 2020 - EDM Identity - January 29th, 2020
- DeepMind Discovers New Correlation Between Neuroscience and AI - Analytics Insight - January 25th, 2020
- Q&A: AI and the Future of Your Mind - UConn Today - January 25th, 2020
- The best advice that no one listens to - Ladders - January 25th, 2020
- Replenish the Mind - The Catalyst - January 25th, 2020
- The Wood Brothers Release New Album, 'Kingdom In My Mind' [Listen] - Live for Live Music - January 25th, 2020
- Meet the Living Robot; PigeonBot With Real Feathers; DeepMind Introduces AlphaFold; PyTorch 1.4 Released - Synced - January 20th, 2020
- DeepMind Discovers AI Training Technique That May Also Work In Our Brains - Unite.AI - January 20th, 2020
- U.S. marks King holiday amid fears of deep racial divisions - The Westerly Sun - January 20th, 2020
- The DeepMind algorithm to solve two complex problems of biology - The Times Hub - January 20th, 2020
- AI can fight climate change but there's a catch: Optimization doesn't automatically equal emissions reduction - ZDNet - January 20th, 2020
- Transcendental Meditation - Helping to ease the busy mind - Bognor Regis Observer - January 20th, 2020
- AKA Wants to Help People Break Bad Habits and Create New Positive Ones - Hospitality Net - January 20th, 2020
- New AI toolkit from the World Economic Forum is promising because it's free - The National - January 20th, 2020
- An instant 2nd opinion: Google's DeepMind AI bests doctors at breast cancer screening - FierceBiotech - January 4th, 2020
- Google's DeepMind AI outperforms doctors in identifying breast cancer from X-ray images - Business Insider UK - January 4th, 2020
- Why the algorithms assisting medics is good for health services (Includes interview) - Digital Journal - January 4th, 2020
- 2020: The Rise of AI in the Enterprise - IT World Canada - January 4th, 2020
- DeepMind's new AI can spot breast cancer just as well as your doctor - Wired.co.uk - January 1st, 2020
- The Most Mind-Boggling Scientific Discoveries Of 2019 Include The First Image Of A Black Hole, A Giant Squid Sighting, And An Exoplanet With Water... - December 27th, 2019
- Review: In the Vale is full of characters who linger long in the mind - Nation.Cymru - December 27th, 2019
- 10 Gifts That Cater to Your Loved One's Basic Senses - Wide Open Country - December 27th, 2019
- Re: Your Account Is Overdrawn - Thrive Global - December 27th, 2019
- Want to dive into the lucrative world of deep learning? Take this $29 class. - Mashable - December 24th, 2019
- AI from Google is helping identify animals deep in the rainforest - Euronews - December 24th, 2019
- Inside The Political Mind Of Jerry Brown - Radio Ink - December 24th, 2019
- Elon Musk Fact-Checked His Own Wikipedia Page and Requested Edits Including the Fact He Does 'Zero Investing' - Entrepreneur - December 24th, 2019
- The 9 Best Blobs of 2019 - Livescience.com - December 24th, 2019
- The ultimate guitar tuning guide: expand your mind with these advanced tuning techniques - Guitar World - December 24th, 2019
- Christmas Lectures presenter Dr Hannah Fry on pigeons, AI and the awesome power of maths - inews - December 24th, 2019
- Google CEO Sundar Pichai Is the Most Expensive Tech CEO to Keep Around - Observer - December 24th, 2019
- Political Cornflakes: Trump responds to impeachment with complaints about the 'deep state' and toilet flushing - Salt Lake Tribune - December 19th, 2019
- Hilde Lee: Latkes bring an ancient miracle to mind on first night of Hanukkah - The Daily Progress - December 19th, 2019
- Madison singles and deep cuts that stood out in 2019 - tonemadison.com - December 19th, 2019
- The Top 10 Diners In Deep East Texas, According To Yelp - kicks105.com - December 17th, 2019
- Mind the Performance Gap New Future Purchasing Category Management Report Out Now - Spend Matters - December 17th, 2019
- DeepMind exec Andrew Eland leaves to launch startup - Sifted - December 16th, 2019
- The Top 10 Diners In Deep East Texas, According To Yelp - ksfa860.com - December 16th, 2019
- 3 breathing exercises to reduce stress, anxiety and a racing mind - Irish Examiner - December 16th, 2019
- In sight but out of mind - The Hindu - December 16th, 2019
- The Case for Limitlessness Has Its Limits: Review of Limitless Mind by Joe Boaler - Education Next - EducationNext - December 16th, 2019
- Lindsey Graham: 'I Have Made Up My Mind' to Exonerate Trump and 'Don't Need Any Witnesses' WATCH - Towleroad - December 16th, 2019
- Blockchain in Healthcare Market to 2027 By Top Leading Players: iSolve LLC, Healthcoin, Deepmind Health, IBM Corporation, Microsoft Corporation,... - December 16th, 2019
- 'Echo Chamber' as Author of the 'Hive Mind' - Ricochet.com - December 16th, 2019
- Winning the War Against Thinking - So you've emptied your brain. Now what? - Chabad.org - December 16th, 2019
- DeepMind proposes novel way to train safe reinforcement learning AI - VentureBeat - December 15th, 2019
- Terence Crawford has next foe in mind after impressive knockout win - New York Post - December 15th, 2019
- What Are Normalising Flows And Why Should We Care - Analytics India Magazine - December 15th, 2019
- Artificial Intelligence Job Demand Could Live Up to Hype - Dice Insights - December 12th, 2019
- Google Isn't Looking To Revolutionize Health Care, It Just Wants To Improve On The Status Quo - Newsweek - December 12th, 2019
- Opinion | Frankenstein monsters will not be taking our jobs anytime soon - Livemint - December 11th, 2019