Research from the CSIRO has found that digital technologies could be worth as much as $315 billion to the Australian economy by 2028.1That return to the economy will be driven across a number of areas, perhaps most significantly AI, but the story within the story is that organisations will need to invest in application modernisation through digital transformation to prepare their businesses for this new, digital-first way of working.
The drive behind application modernisation cant just be because its the hot new trend, however. Organisations that approach application modernisation on vague promises of the benefits of the cloud and improved productivity will find themselves in a similar position to now in a few years with a legacy environment that no longer supports the organisations competitive position in the market.
Gartner predicts by 2023, 40 per cent of professional workers will expect orchestrated business application experiences and capabilities like they do their music streaming experience. The human desire to have a work environment similar to their personal environment continues to rise one where they can assemble their own applications to meet job and personal requirements in aself-service fashion, Gartner notes. The consumerisation of technology and introduction of new applications have elevated the expectations of employees as to what is possible from their business applications.2
Simply hosting applications in the cloud which is the extent of the application modernisation strategy for many organisations will not deliver what Gartner is predicting.
Instead, organisations need to take a deeply strategic approach to application modernisation. Many organisations struggle to build a strategy around application modernisation, and are often unsure of the approach to modernisation that they need to undertake whether thats refactoring, rehosting, or otherwise.
Determining the right approach to application modernisation can be an extravagant project in its own right. Depending on how databases and the environment is structured, moving an application to the cloud may result in a substantial project for a team of developers. Its important to get it right, however. If managed poorly, the application is likely to again become be a piece of legacy software inhibiting the business from working competitively.
Into 2020 and beyond, CIOs and other business leaders will need to approach application modernisation with a mindset of reimagining it from the ground up, with a focus on better security, faster speed, and consolidated systems.
How organisations will look to app modernisation in the new year
Western Australias School Curriculum and Standards Authority (SCSA) is one example of an organisation that faced the urgent and pressing need to modernise its applications. Previously holding student information for grades 11 and 12, SCSA was required to start holding records from kindergarten right through to grade 12, which meant a jump from 60,000 records to 465,000. There was no way the legacy systems were going to manage the load.
SCSA found its solution with Insight, which helped SCSA move to a cloud-based environment, running on Azure, and with Kubernetes deployed to help manage the databases and applications into containers, and orchestrate the pod lifecycles.
As a result, after an engagement of just a few months including a comprehensive planning period, SCSA had a solution it could rapidly scale, and was fully digital-ready. Both the internal team and the schools working with SCSA can now reliably and rapidly access the services and applications provided by SCSA.
For more information, visitau.insight.com
Its all about the foundations
The cloud is now the standard approach to applications. Everything is online, and everything needs to be available from anywhere, regardless of location or device. There are meaningful productivity and efficiency gains to this approach; and significantly, there are consequences to not moving legacy applications into the cloud. These include:
Insights approach with each of its customers, and the reason the SCSA project was such a success, is to identify and build a foundation for all applications within a business that is extensible for future needs. There is a range of different approaches that can be taken with application modernisation, from the relatively simple process of rehosting an application on the cloud, through to a complete re-coding or replacement for an application. Within the typical environment there will need to be a number of different approaches taken, depending on the state of each individual application. What determines the overall success of a modernisation project is whether the foundations are in place first, both in terms of technology, such as whether the organisation cloud-ready and far enough along with its digital transformation strategy to start application modernisation; and strategy, such as determining the five and 10-year goals of applications.
The cloud can be a complex environment. Some of the tools used to manage the transition to the cloud and operation within it, such as containerisation through Kubernetes, are effective but need careful planning and a change management process within the organisation first.
2020 will be a big year for application modernisation. Organisations that develop a sound foundation will find themselves set for the years ahead, with a highly scalable and flexible environment that is future proofed for the longer-term trends as they emerge. Where organisations will struggle is if they dont approach application modernisation from a whole-of-business, foundational approach first.
Read the Insight whitepaper on making a business case for application modernisation.
Error: Please check your email address.
Tags applicationDigital TechnologiesDTDXapplication modernisation
More about AustraliaCSIROGartnerInsight
Go here to see the original:
Application modernisation in 2020 and beyond why businesses need to be ready now - CIO Australia
- Ways In Which Cloud Hosting Affects SEO Services And Results - HostReview.com - January 13th, 2020
- Home Office reinforces commitment to AWS with 100m cloud hosting deal - ComputerWeekly.com - January 13th, 2020
- WSL 2: Where is it, and where is it going? - TechRepublic - January 13th, 2020
- The biggest govtech deals of the week (13/01/20) - NS Tech - January 13th, 2020
- Lost in Migration? Attributing carbon when outsourcing to cloud - Data Economy - January 13th, 2020
- UKCloud announces new discounts to help organisations thrive and build an increasingly independent national capability - RealWire - January 13th, 2020
- How Cloud Computing is Driving the Industrial Revolution 4.0 - Elets - January 13th, 2020
- Informatica expands its leadership team and appoints Amit Walia as CEO - Data Economy - January 8th, 2020
- Enhancing Hyperscale Cloud Growth at the infra // STRUCTURE Summit - Yahoo Finance - January 8th, 2020
- Green House Data Adds Digital Transformation Expert Victor Tingler to Executive Team to Lead Enterprise Consulting Services - Yahoo Finance - January 8th, 2020
- Five Things To Do in St. Cloud, Jan. 13-17 - SC Times - January 8th, 2020
- FASB cloud computing cost standard to soon take effect - Compliance Week - January 3rd, 2020
- Amazon, Google, Microsoft: Who had the best year in cloud in 2019? - The Register - January 3rd, 2020
- Recovery In The Cloud: An Online Alternative To Face-To-Face AA Meetings - Forbes - January 3rd, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market Future Investment Initiatives, Growing with Technology Development, New Innovations, Competitive Analysis and... - January 3rd, 2020
- Five Things To Do in St. Cloud, Jan. 6-10 - SC Times - January 3rd, 2020
- Are you ready to rock? City of St. Cloud hosting annual New Year's Eve event - Osceola News-Gazette - December 30th, 2019
- The biggest government tech stories of 2019 part one - PublicTechnology - December 30th, 2019
- The year of the French unicorns - TechCrunch - December 30th, 2019
- Startup Events This Week: Pulse42 and Mixer By Inc42, Drone Festival - Inc42 Media - December 30th, 2019
- Head to Head Survey: Snap (NYSE:SNAP) and Infinite Group (NYSE:IMCI) - Trent Times - December 30th, 2019
- Microsoft and Oracle extend their international cloud love-in - Data Economy - December 26th, 2019
- GDS publishes guidance on avoiding cloud lock-in - UKAuthority.com - December 26th, 2019
- Three Most Valuable Benefits that Encourage Companies to Adopt Serverless Architecture - Embedded Computing Design - December 26th, 2019
- Year-end Experience with the future prediction from Leaders - APN News - December 26th, 2019
- Key Factors behind Colocation and Managed Hosting Services Market Climbs on Positive Outlook of Booming Sales - Market Reports Observer - December 26th, 2019
- Will 2020 Be the Year of LoRa Networks? - Embedded Computing Design - December 26th, 2019
- Building Tech Solutions And Giving Back - Forbes - December 26th, 2019
- Allscripts Healthcare Solutions (NASDAQ:MDRX) Upgraded to Hold by ValuEngine - Slater Sentinel - December 26th, 2019
- Unisys objects to CFPB cloud award - Washington Technology - December 19th, 2019
- Cloud Hosting Service Market Size Will Grow Profitably In Upcoming Estimation, Challenges And Future Forecast 2025 - Bulletin Line - December 19th, 2019
- BP selects AWS over Azure for cloud-first strategy and climate ambitions - Diginomica - December 19th, 2019
- How to Eliminate IT Complexity and Succeed - Marketing Tech Outlook - December 19th, 2019
- Checkmarx Recognized as AWS Provider of Application Security Testing Solutions for Public Sector - HostReview.com - December 19th, 2019
- Bidco to acquire cloud firm after Boards agree on 79.4m deal - East Midlands Business Link - December 19th, 2019
- Bare Metal Cloud Market Scope and Opportunities Analysis 2017 2025 - News Cast Report - December 19th, 2019
- Kubernetes Security Leader Alcide Releases 2020 Predictions: Kubernetes on the Edge, Intelligent and Automated K8s Security and the Rise of... - December 19th, 2019
- Understanding the Benefits of Microsoft Azure Consulting for your Business - The Future of Things - December 19th, 2019
- Leaseweb USA Research Reveals that Nearly Two Thirds of Organizations Cite Hybrid or Private Cloud as the Future Infrastructure of Choice -... - December 19th, 2019
- Cloud Hosting Service Market Competitive Landscaping Mapping The Key Common Trends, Growth Analysis and Forecast 2024 - News Tribune - December 16th, 2019
- How SmartLogic helped these teams grow and manage scale with DevOps support - Technical.ly Brooklyn - December 16th, 2019
- Summit acquires fellow hosting company to boost its SMB reach - Data Economy - December 16th, 2019
- Atlassian welcomes third-party developers into the cloud with Forge - SDTimes.com - December 16th, 2019
- Working at the heart of digitalisation - Data Economy - December 16th, 2019
- Bare Metal Cloud Market 2019 In-Depth Analysis and Future Forecast 2019-2026 | Key Players include IBM Corporation , Oracle Corporation , Centurylink... - December 16th, 2019
- The Top 13 Cloud Computing Conferences to Attend in 2020 - Solutions Review - December 14th, 2019
- Oracle Plans To Ride ERP And Database To Greater Cloud Glory - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - December 14th, 2019
- Understanding Control, Security and Risk When Moving to Cloud - - Enterprise Times - December 14th, 2019
- 8 Cloud Outages That Shook The Tech World In 2019 - Analytics India Magazine - December 14th, 2019
- Microsoft Is Ignoring Amazons Dispute Over The U.S. JEDI Cloud Contract - Wccftech - December 14th, 2019
- Schneider Electric Wins 'AI/ Machine Learning Innovation' and 'Edge Project of the Year' at the 2019 SDC Awards - EnerCom Inc. - December 14th, 2019
- Firms believe hybrid or private cloud to be the future, research shows - DevOps Online - December 14th, 2019
- Global Bare Metal Cloud Market Foresight by 2019 2025| Key Companies IBM Corp., Oracle Corporation, Centurylink Incorporation, Rackspace Hosting... - December 14th, 2019
- What is Platform-as-a-Service? Everything you need to know about PaaS - TechRadar - December 9th, 2019
- Data security and the cloud: 3 things your team needs to know - TechBeacon - December 9th, 2019
- Australian animation studio, Animal Logic, partners with AWS to render films in the cloud - Which-50 - December 9th, 2019
- G7CR Technologies - The Journey of 2019 Microsoft Country Partner - Techstory - December 9th, 2019
- Service Express Addresses the Failure Curve at Gartner IT Infrastructure, Operations & Cloud Strategies Conference 2019 - PR Web - December 9th, 2019
- Global Cloud Hosting Service Market 2019 Industry Research, Segmentation, Key Players Analysis and Forecast to 2024 - News Midget - December 4th, 2019
- Logz.io Unveils First-Ever Open Source-Based Cloud Observability Platform Powered by ELK and Grafana - GlobeNewswire - December 4th, 2019
- 'Big 3' Public Cloud Providers: 4 Reasons Not to Use Them - ITPro Today - December 4th, 2019
- Global Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market 2019 by Manufacturers, Countries, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 - World Industry Reports - December 4th, 2019
- Join Us For The IBM i On The Public Cloud Webinar - IT Jungle - December 4th, 2019
- Amazon reveals new server chip to take on Intel - MyBroadband - December 4th, 2019
- SysGroup (LON:SYS) Hits New 1-Year Low at $33.50 - TechNewsObserver - December 4th, 2019
- How to match your IT workloads to the right cloud - TechBeacon - December 2nd, 2019
- Cloud Performance Varies Across the World, New Report Finds - ITPro Today - December 2nd, 2019
- Black Friday & Cyber Monday: These web hosting offers come only once a year - MyHostNews.com - November 30th, 2019
- HostNOC offering a big discount on its hosting and dedicated servers - Press Release - Digital Journal - November 30th, 2019
- Processing 30 billion images a month, heres how ImageKit delivers 98% of the optimised images in under 50 mil - YourStory - November 30th, 2019
- Cloud-based Database Market 2019 to Perceive Biggest Trend and Opportunity with Key Players Google, Amazon Web Services, IBM, Microsoft, Oracle,... - November 30th, 2019
- This Week in Jobs: We're one wild turkey - Technical.ly - November 30th, 2019
- Data Center Outsourcing and Hybrid Infrastructure Managed Services Market Revenue, Region Analysis, And Forecast 2024 - Space Market Research - November 30th, 2019
- Why Is Apple Trusted More Than Google? - Forbes - November 30th, 2019
- Ryuk ransomware attack on cloud hosting company affected 110 hospitals - TEISS - November 28th, 2019
- Embrace the Journey of Technological Transformation - CIOReview - November 28th, 2019
- Global Disaster Recovery-as-a-Service (DRaaS) Market 2018-2022 | Evolving Opportunities with IBM and iland | Technavio - Business Wire - November 28th, 2019
- Join In For The IBM i On The Public Cloud Webinar - IT Jungle - November 28th, 2019
- If tsoHost is lecturing us on sleep hygiene, Brit outfit really does have hosting back to front - The Register - November 28th, 2019
- DHA SDD Shifting Health IT Outlook for 2020 - GovernmentCIO Media - November 28th, 2019