When it comes tomanaging a multi-cloud world, matching your workloads to the best cloud hosting platforms is one of thebiggest challenges. Rational decision making often gives way to an emotional exercise, where beliefs, biases, and other human behaviors set the stage for a less-than-optimal hosting strategy.
If you use themodel described below, as our team did, you'll increase your chances of establishing a fact-based, data-driven hosting strategy that's easier to define and execute, while avoiding any perceptions of bias in your recommendation.
[ Enterprise Service Managementbrings innovation to the enterprise. Learn more in TechBeacon's new ESM guide. Plus: Get the 2019 Forrester Wave for ESM. ]
As Cloud CTO at Micro Focus, I was asked to helpbuild a model that we could apply with as little prejudice as possible. So our teamestablished a set of core principles that enabled us to build a balanced model that we can consistently use to evaluate the placement of specific workloads as well as for our overall hosting strategy.
It could work for you, too. The core principles are:
While your hosting decision model should support placement decisions for multiple workload types, there is almost no end to the number of workload types you could define. That's why you need to introduce a usability challenge into the model.
In this, less is more. We narrowedour list to three core workload types: development and rapid prototyping, traditional production, and cloud-native production.
Development and rapid prototyping workloads include everything development and testing teams might require from a hosting provider to develop and test their code.
Traditional production workloads are those that rely on the base infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) set of resources and have no cloud software-as-a-service (SaaS) requirements. You can deploy them in almost any public or private cloud environment.
Cloud-native production includes cutting-edge, cloud-reliant workloads that make moderateto heavy use of cloud concepts and/or rely on cloud platform-as-a-service (PaaS) offerings.
[ Learn how to transform your IT with AIOps in TechBeacon's guide. Plus: Download the analyst paper on how AI is changing the role of IT. ]
While building our model, we analyzed many KPIs from our body of research, picked up a set of KPIs that formed the model core, and then categorized those into five dimensions.
Building a model with dimensions helps us to have logical KPI groupings and to establish a scoring system per dimension. In this way, we can easily evaluate a hostingenvironment based on how well it scores in each dimension, instead of comparing each and every KPI across hosting options.
Figure 1: The five dimensions of a hosting assessment model. (GTM is "go-to market" strategy.)Source: Micro Focus
Heres a high-level view of the models five dimensions, along with a few KPIsfor each.
Thisdimension establishes the hosting environment's security and complianceposture, allowing you to weigh how secure and compliant each one is.
These KPIs evaluate employee background checks, physical access, access logs, and how cryptographic keys are being managed. The KPIs should evaluate support for ISO27001 or GDPR to assess complianceposture.
Comparing hosting providers on cost can be a futile exercise if you're focused on migrating a large data center, which is too big and has many variables, or if you're comparing compute or storage units, which is too granular.
The hosting decision model introducesthe concept of application comparison. For every workload type you pick, you need a poster-child application that you can model in each environment you're evaluating. Calculate the infrastructure cost for hosting that application from the bottom up, and then compare between providers.
Account for your labor costs for each application, since that can be different for each environment. For example, a private cloud has infrastructure support requirements that don't exist with public cloud. A best practice is to use labor per compute unit (virtual server), then multiply by number of servers within the application model.
Finally, if you wish to gaininsight intohow each environmentmight affect your organization's earnings, your cost model should have an earnings before interest, taxes, and amortization (EBITDA) impact, expressed as a percentage.
Here you evaluate the potential support each environment provider offers. This may highlight whether the environment provider will be able to deliver the level of support you need to properly rely on the provider for hosting services, as per your expected service-level agreement (SLA).
Some of your KPIs should measure the provided support level and the number of dedicated technical resources the hosting service provider will assign to you.
Since some workloads will be hosted with an environment provider to drive business, you should establish what potential business leverage a provider could deliver. This could be a critical insight that guides your hosting decision.
KPIs might includeanestablished joint go-to-market strategy, the amount of market development funds the hosting entity will provide, and how many joint and aligned global system integrators or regional system integrators are available.
Assessing environment resilience and performance is a key factor in meeting internal and customer SLAs, so properly evaluatingthese criteriais critically important.
To obtain such metrics you might need to rely on your previous experience to calculate anaverage number of incidents, mean-time-to-repair, or theperformance and availability of sample applications. However, you could also obtain publicly accessible information abouthosting providers to calculate the KPIs.
Some KPIssuch as whether the hosting entity supports demand elasticity, zero-downtime upgrades, and support for multi-zone availabilitymay be readily available from the provider's marketing literature.
Now that you have identified your model's dimensions and supported workload types, you can determine which workload types best align with your various dimensions.
For example, development and rapid prototyping might lean more toward hosting environments that optimize for cost, while traditional production might be better suited to environments that optimize for quality of service and security.
You can introduce this bias into your model with a weighting scheme where positivelybiased dimensions receivea higher weighted score than do other dimensions for a given workload type. See the images below for specific examples.
Once you have defined your model, it's time to populate its dimensions and KPIs with data for the cloud hosting platforms of choice. For this exercise, you need to gather data from yourexperience in hosting workloads,industry benchmarks, and any self-assessments made public by the hosting environment providers.
For balanced KPI results, you need between four and six months of data to counter any seasonality and other biaseswithin the datasets. Remove outliersby using the median instead of the average.
Once you have calculated the KPIs, assign a score between 0 and 10 to each dimension. Since each KPI is likely to have a different impact on the overall dimension score, apply your weighting logic as you calculate the dimension score.
The outcome of this phase is your cloud assessment model for each cloud-hosting option. Each should have a score for every dimension, as well as detailed KPI scores within those dimensions.
This gives you a standard lens through which to differentiate your cloud hosting options.
Using the weighting schemeyou created for each workload,evaluate each cloud hosting provider for each workload type. Do this by using the cloud hosting dimension score with the workload weight for each dimension, normalized between zero and 10.
You've now created an overall score for each combination of workload type and cloud-hosting platform. The higher the score for a specific workload type, the more aligned that cloud hosting platform is for that workload.
By establishing this baseline, you'llprovidea hosting decision recommendation that matches workload types with the right cloud hosting platform.
There are cases, however, that might impose additional requirements that cut across your recommendation results. For example, if a government or geographical presence is required, then your recommended cloud hosting platform must support that.
The lesson here: Build your overall cloud hosting strategy on your model's output while allowing for a certain percentage of cases that will go out of bounds.
Matching your workloads to the right cloud hosting platforms need not become an emotional exercise. Follow the steps above and you'll have a much more rational, data-driven basis for making those decisions while avoiding any perceptionof bias.
[ Learn how robotic process automation (RPA) can pay offif you first tackle underlying problems. See TechBeacon's guide. Plus: Get the white paper on enterprise requirements. ]
- COVID-19 Impact On Cloud Hosting Service Providers Market Projection By Latest Technology, Global Analysis, Industry Growth, Current Trends And... - July 4th, 2020
- Sell-Side Technology Awards 2020: Best Cloud Provider to the Sell SideBT - www.waterstechnology.com - July 4th, 2020
- Global Cloud Hosting Service Market 2020 Analysis, Types, Applications, Forecast and COVID-19 Impact Analysis 2026 - Daily Research Chronicles - July 4th, 2020
- Green House Data and Zerto Fast-Track Digital Transformation with Hybrid Cloud Resilience - AiThority - July 4th, 2020
- Leaseweb's Five-Year Growth Exceeds Double the Market Average, Further Cementing Position as Top Player in International Cloud Hosting Market -... - July 4th, 2020
- THNQ fund from ROBO Global looks ahead to AI infrastructure growth - Robot Report - July 4th, 2020
- Bare Metal Cloud Market research, Industry Outlook, Current Trends and Forecast by 2025 - CueReport - July 4th, 2020
- Application Hosting Market | Global Industry Analysis, Segments, Top Key Players, Drivers and Trends to 2027 - Cole of Duty - July 4th, 2020
- Professional Services Automation Market Key Vendors, Analysis by Growth and Revolutionary Opportunities by 2025 - Apsters News - July 4th, 2020
- VyOS and FastNetMon Announce Integration | 2020-07-01 | Press Releases - Stockhouse - July 4th, 2020
- India bans 59 Chinese apps including TikTok and WeChat - Data Economy - July 4th, 2020
- Global Bare Metal Cloud Market with Covid-19 Effect Analysis | likewise Industry is Booming Globaly with Key Players IBM Corporation, Oracle... - July 4th, 2020
- Leaseweb's Five-Year growth Exceeds Double the Market Average, Further Cementing Position as Top Player in International Cloud Hosting Market - PR Web - June 30th, 2020
- Cloud hosting group confident on future prospects - The Business Desk - June 30th, 2020
- Connor and Scalio Announce Venture to Bring GRC and License Optimization to the Cloud - GlobeNewswire - June 30th, 2020
- What Is Cloud Computing? - World Atlas - June 30th, 2020
- Thought Machine's Vault Now Proven and Available on All Infrastructure Options: SaaS, Private or Public Cloud, Hybrid Cloud and on Premises - Business... - June 30th, 2020
- Global Application Hosting Market : Industry Analysis and forecast 2020 2027 - Morning Tick - June 30th, 2020
- Data Centers Above the Clouds: Colocation Goes to Space - Data Center Frontier - June 30th, 2020
- 'This Pandemic Has Highlighted The Importance Of Cloud System': Anand Chandra, Synechron - Express Computer - June 30th, 2020
- Southeast Asia Web Hosting Services Market 2020 Digital Learning, Growth Analysis, Industry Trends, Advanced Technologies, Services, Business Overview... - June 30th, 2020
- 4 common software maintenance models and when to use them - TechTarget - June 30th, 2020
- Applying AI and Cloud Technologies for Multivariate Control in Upstream Processes, Upcoming Webinar Hosted by Xtalks - PR Web - June 30th, 2020
- How to Host Your Own VPN with Algo and Cloud Hosting - How-To Geek - June 27th, 2020
- Web Hosting Services Market 2019 Size Overview By Industrial Application, E-Commerce Boom, Cloud Hosting, Latest Trends, New-Advancements in Internet... - June 27th, 2020
- This week in storage: Teradata in the cloud, WD Zoned SSDs and more - Blocks and Files - June 27th, 2020
- Top 10 Cloud Technology Market Exclusive insight on Transformation 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 27th, 2020
- Why you should shun unmanaged hosting and adopt managed - MOARGeek - June 27th, 2020
- E.ON selects Wipro for grid and digital transformation - Smart Energy - June 27th, 2020
- Application Hosting Market Key Players, Industry Overview, Application and Analysis to 2020-2026 - 3rd Watch News - June 27th, 2020
- Top 5 IT Certifications That Will Get You Paid in 2020 - ClearanceJobs - ClearanceJobs - June 27th, 2020
- Global personal cloud market is expected to grow with a healthy CAGR over the forecast period from 2020-2026 - Salamanca Press - June 27th, 2020
- An Introduction to Dave Antrobus, technology director of Fresh Thinking Group - Business MattersBusiness Matters - June 27th, 2020
- Uploadcare Media Pipeline for Online Business Wins at Nanjing Tech Week Competition - AsiaOne - June 27th, 2020
- JIESHUN Smart Parking and Cloud Hosting at Shenzhen Bao'an International Airport - Parking Network - June 22nd, 2020
- Cloud Computing Transforming And Revolutionising Cybersecurity In India - Inc42 Media - June 22nd, 2020
- Cloud Hosting Service Market Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Share, Growth, Statistics, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 22nd, 2020
- Global Application Hosting Market 2020 by Type, Share, Applications, Key Players, Growth, Trends and Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 22nd, 2020
- Grading and audio post in the cloud | Industry Trends | IBC - IBC365 - June 22nd, 2020
- Serverless Architecture Market 2020 Global Trend, Segmentation and Opportunities Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 22nd, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact and Recovery Analysis- Global Email Hosting Services Market 2020-2024 | Growing Adoption of the Bring-Your-Own-Device (BYOD) Policy to... - June 22nd, 2020
- Global Cloud Hosting Service Market Expected to Grow with a Significant Rate by 2024 Top Players : DreamHost, GoDaddy, HostGator, InMotion, Bluehost,... - June 22nd, 2020
- VPLS recognized on CRN's list of Top 500 Solutions Providers for second consecutive year - PR Web - June 22nd, 2020
- Security problems with the Employment Security Department should have been fixed last year - washingtonpolicy.org - June 22nd, 2020
- Global Cloud-based Database Market 2020 by Type, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast To 2030 - 3rd Watch News - June 22nd, 2020
- Headliners, part I: 32 upcoming events & program deadlines in the Triangle - WRAL Tech Wire - June 22nd, 2020
- Global Network Host Service Market with Coronavirus (COVID-19) Impact Analysis | likewise Industry is Booming Globaly with Top Key Players | AT&T,... - June 22nd, 2020
- Behind the scenes of Israel's Global Data Center - Data Economy - June 22nd, 2020
- Tax small taxpayers but let the giants go? We can do better. - The Daily Star - June 22nd, 2020
- Global Data Center Outsourcing and Hybrid Infrastructure Managed Services Market Projected to Reach USD XX.XX billion by 2025- IBM, Wipro, Tata... - June 22nd, 2020
- Railway Management System Market to Eyewitness Massive Growth by 2028: Leading Key Players ABB, Alstom, Ansaldo, Bombardier Transportation, GE... - June 22nd, 2020
- All you need to know about cloud hosting - Business MattersBusiness Matters - June 9th, 2020
- Cloud Hosting Service Market 2019 Break Down by Top Companies, Countries, Applications, Challenges, Opportunities and Forecast 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 9th, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market Set to Take Giant Positive Leap - Cole of Duty - June 9th, 2020
- Online Accounting Went Virtual on Short Notice | Online Accounting Jobs - NEC News & Events - June 9th, 2020
- Global Trade Impact of the Coronavirus on Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market Reviewed in a New Study - 3rd Watch News - June 9th, 2020
- AGL announces huge shift to the Cloud - Which-50 - June 9th, 2020
- Moodle welcomes Adapt IT as a Certified Moodle Partner and strengthens presence across the Pan African market. - Moodle - June 9th, 2020
- Health Care Cloud and Hosting Market 2019 Break Down by Top Companies, Countries, Applications, Challenges, Opportunities and Forecast 2026 - Cole of... - June 9th, 2020
- UK signs cloud discount deal with Google to boost innovation - www.computing.co.uk - June 9th, 2020
- Data Breach Notification Software Market 2019 Break Down by Top Companies, Countries, Applications, Challenges, Opportunities and Forecast 2026 - Cole... - June 9th, 2020
- Triangle headliners: Previewing 71 local events & program deadlines this month - WRAL Tech Wire - June 9th, 2020
- Sysdig Continues International Expansion with New Data Center Options in the US and Europe - Business Wire - June 9th, 2020
- Heating Coil For Heat Treatment Market 2019 Break Down by Top Companies, Countries, Applications, Challenges, Opportunities and Forecast 2026 - Cole... - June 9th, 2020
- 3 Buffett Stocks That Are Trouncing Berkshire Hathaway So Far This Year - The Motley Fool - May 31st, 2020
- Health Care Cloud and Hosting Market 2020 | by Manufacturers | by Countries | by Types and by Applications | by Forecasts to 2026 - 3rd Watch News - May 31st, 2020
- Global Cloud Based Database Market Slated to Bring in US$ XX Billion by End of 2026 - 3rd Watch News - May 31st, 2020
- Cloud Hosting Service Market Research Report 2020: Key Players, Applications, Drivers, Trends and Forecast to 2026 - News Distinct - May 30th, 2020
- Are We Overthinking Application Lifecycle Automation? - No Jitter - May 30th, 2020
- Wharfedale Offers No Upfront Costs and 180 days of Deferred Payment - AiThority - May 30th, 2020
- The cloud gathers - Private Banker International - Verdict - May 29th, 2020
- Cloud Hosting Service Providers Market Research Report 2020: Key Players, Applications, Drivers, Trends and Forecast to 2026 - News Distinct - May 29th, 2020
- Building Your Own Website - Helpful Tips and Tricks - UTV Ireland - May 29th, 2020
- Research Report With COVID-19 Forecasts - Global Email Hosting Services Market 2020-2024 | Growing Adoption of the Bring-Your-Own-Device (BYOD) Policy... - May 29th, 2020
- 21Vianet Announces Appointment of Executive Chairman for its Retail IDC Business Group - GlobeNewswire - May 29th, 2020
- Oracle Week: Here Is What You Missed - Geektime - May 29th, 2020
- Global Iaas Hosting Infrastructure Services Market 2020 Size, Demand, Trends and Growth by Business Opportunities, Latest Innovation, Technology... - May 29th, 2020
- The impact of the coronavirus on the Health Care Cloud and Hosting Market Solid Analyzed Segmentation, Demand, Recent Share Estimation and Growth... - May 26th, 2020
- Southeast Asia Web Hosting Services Market 2020 by Company, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 - News Distinct - May 26th, 2020
- Apple @ Work: What are the best management options for Ubiquiti networks? - 9to5Mac - May 26th, 2020