Cloud computing is the new-age mode of operations for businesses all over the globe
Cloud computing enables businesses to overcome the challenges of the legacy IT setup
In the first half of last year, there were over 3,800 data breaches
In this day and age, the global economy revolves around business-critical data, used to draft strategies and make informed decisions. Moreover, with businesses adopting technologies like AI to leverage Big Data into getting key insights, the role of data was never more crucial.
However, as India saw the security challenges escalating in the past year, businesses are looking for robust and advanced methods to secure their data. The on-premise security architecture has gone obsolete with geographically-bound infrastructure. As the adoption of cloud technology takes the data out of the private secured premises to the data centres in the cloud, a new approach to securing the data assets is required.
Cloud computing is the new-age mode of operations for businesses all over the globe. Cloud can be explained as a computing environment with a cluster of connected server resources virtualised into several instances and provided to multiple organisations. You can access the cloud environment from remote locations through internet-connected end-point devices like Desktop, laptops, and smartphones.
Cloud computing enables businesses to overcome the challenges of the legacy IT setup like the rigidity of hardware, mobility, capital expenses, and hardware issues. But the most impressive aspect of cloud technology is the robust security environment it can offer to business-critical data.
When compared to the traditional security protocols at the local premises, cloud providers use various advanced security methods and have dedicated security teams to constantly monitor and guard critical data from the prying eyes of the hackers. Nowadays, businesses can go for third-party cloud providers who host applications and data inside multiple layers of protection.
A plethora of security threats loom over the business process, each having its own disastrous implications. Stories about data breaches regularly make the news. Just in the first half of last year, there were over 3,800 data breaches. As a result of these breaches,over 4 billion records were exposed, according to Risk Based Security research.
Here are some of the common methods of cyberattacks and the security measures implemented by the cloud providers to prevent them.
A DDoS attack bombards a data server with millions of fake requests (data packets), making it impossible for the server to meet genuine demands. When such an attack is successful, the business may become inoperative for hours, if not days. The cost of a DDoS attack is financial. It also impacts the reputation of the company that suffered the attack.
On a local IT setup, it is not possible to foresee such an attack. However, the cloud hosting providers monitor the network 24/7 for any anomalies in the data. By analysing the network patterns like type and intensity in a given time frame, any unusual traffic is identified and filtered immediately from reaching and overwhelming the companys computer resources.
A brute force attack is one in which an intruder tries to gain access to a server or website by repeatedly trying different username and password combinations. Such an attack is considered the purest form of attack. When it is successful, perpetrators gain access to valuable data.
The cloud providers deploy methods like multi-factor authentication to ensure protection against brute force attacks. As the user requires multiple methods to login to the cloud, even if a method is compromised, the hacker cannot get into the system.
A man in the middle attack happens when an unauthorised user intercepts communication between a sender and receiver. The third party, when it is successful, can alter the data being shared between authorised senders and receivers.
The cloud providers deploy methods like data encryption and multi-factor authentication to ensure protection against such attacks. Data encryption ensures that the data is transmitted in an encrypted form and cannot be comprehended by an unauthorised user who does not have the encryption key to decode the data.
Ransomware is a malware that holds a computer/network hostage until a ransom fee is paid. They infiltrate PCs with Trojan horses or computer worms by taking advantage of security loopholes. The ransomware can then be injected into the system and data is encrypted by the hacker with a key that is available only to a hacker. Unless ransomware is paid, the hacker does not share the key to decrypt in order to use the data.
The malware can then be injected with an external device (flash drives), or through the Internet (emails, websites, or attachments).
The cloud providers deploy firewalls and UTM (Unified Threat Management) devices to counter all types of threats, besides updated versions of antivirus and anti-malware in each data entry point. The users can put email restrictions, blocking the emails that do not belong to their organisation. Moreover, the cloud providers backup data automatically in multiple locations to recover it easily in case of an attack.
Software programs are purposely written to probe a computer and exploit vulnerabilities, and security holes are called web attack tool kits. Such tool kits can be used to create a path into users systems through security holes and vulnerabilities.
To counter these threats, cloud computing companies are investing heavily in security systems like Intrusion Detection and Prevention that constantly scan the computer network for any dirty traffic.
Cloud operators deploy security teams to constantly monitor network traffic and unusual events in the servers by collecting logs and using co-relations engines to detect any threat based on server and firewall logs.
In the near future, there will be different niche approaches as far as cybersecurity is concerned. One of them is the passwordless approach. The passwordless approach will be adopted by about 60% of large enterprises and 90% of mid-sized businesses, according to Gartner.
Citing the risks of threats like brute force attack and ransomware, the need for entering passwords will be eliminated and replaced by tokens and OTPs.
Another development in the world of cybersecurity is the adoption of Artificial Intelligence (AI) into the cloud security systems. AI will help cloud security experts in identifying data anomalies by automating data monitoring tasks.
Apart from hosting applications and data on cloud, the cloud providers also offer services like Backup as a Service (BaaS) and Security as a Service (SECaaS). The businesses can avail these to keep their data protected, even when hosted in the local premises.
- Cloud Hosting Service Market Consumption Status and Prospects Professional Industry Research Report 2027 The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - June 12th, 2021
- Global Cloud Hosting Service Providers Market By Excellent Opportunities, Industry Growth, Size, And Statistics Forecasts Up To 2026 KSU | The... - June 12th, 2021
- Global Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market 2021 Opportunities and Key Players To 2027 Rackspace, Datapipe, Sify, NTT Communications, NxtGen, BT The... - June 12th, 2021
- Verint Announces Strong Cloud Growth in the First Quarter - Business Wire - June 12th, 2021
- Troubleshooting cloud migrating problems, before they cause a storm - TechNative - June 12th, 2021
- Save 50% off a hosted Mac Mini subscription from MacStadium with this exclusive WWDC offer - 9to5Mac - June 12th, 2021
- Apple unveils new privacy features in iOS 15 and other products - CBS News - June 12th, 2021
- No Watering Restrictions in St. Cloud [PODCAST] - WJON News - June 12th, 2021
- With IPv6 Being Key to Zero Trust, GSA is Hosting June 16 Transition Summit - MeriTalk - June 12th, 2021
- Innovative Analytical Software for Enhanced Data Acquisition and Analysis - PRNewswire - June 12th, 2021
- Huawei partners with Temenos - ThePaypers - The Paypers - June 12th, 2021
- The global video conferencing market size is expected to grow from USD 9.2 billion in 2021 - GlobeNewswire - June 12th, 2021
- Bidirectional Data Flow: Unlock Discovery and Break Down Silos, Upcoming Webinar Hosted by Xtalks - PR Web - June 12th, 2021
- How Cloud Computing and Edge Computing Work Together - Illinoisnewstoday.com - June 6th, 2021
- Outlook on the Web Hosting Services Global Market to 2027 - Featuring AT&T, Dreamhost and GoDaddy Among Others - Yahoo Finance - June 6th, 2021
- TPG reveals its cloud hosting service being compromised in a cyber incident - iTMunch - June 6th, 2021
- Appgate announces three promotions within its executive leadership team - Help Net Security - June 6th, 2021
- FBIs Wray reveals scope of ransomware investigations - POLITICO - June 6th, 2021
- 5 Main Benefits Of Using Cloud Computing - Nerd's Magazine - June 6th, 2021
- Welcome to the community: Deriving more value from Oracle in the cloud - ITProPortal - May 12th, 2021
- A guide to cloud computing, the multibillion-dollar industry that powers your favorite apps - Business Insider - May 12th, 2021
- Global Cloud Web Hosting Services Market is estimated to be USD (XX) million by 2030 with a CAGR of (X)% during the forecast period KSU | The... - May 12th, 2021
- AWS wins hosting deal for NHS Scotland digital platform - UKAuthority.com - May 12th, 2021
- FICS Hosts 34th Annual Users' Conference, Promotes Education in Technology for Continued Success - Business Wire - May 12th, 2021
- NICE CXone Ranks First Overall in 2021 Contact Center in the Cloud Report from Ventana Research - Business Wire - May 12th, 2021
- What is a blog and why you should start one - TechRadar - May 12th, 2021
- Due to Strong Demand, NICE Expands Investment in Japan, creating a New Customer Experience Standard with CXone - Business Wire - May 12th, 2021
- 2021 Cloud Conference Best cloud event in South Africa - MyBroadband - May 12th, 2021
- France's SocGen seeks to boost investment bank returns - Global Banking And Finance Review - May 12th, 2021
- Azul Expands Product Portfolio, Updates Pricing and Packaging, and Launches New Brand Identity to Deliver World's Best Supported Java Platform for the... - May 12th, 2021
- Global Host Computer Market Have Shown Encouraging Growth by 2021-2028 with AT&T, Equinix, and SAVVIS, Yahoo, and NTT Verio KSU | The Sentinel... - May 12th, 2021
- Windows 10 VPS Hosts That Accept Bitcoin - The Video Ink - VideoInk - May 12th, 2021
- gotomyerp Becomes SOC 1 and 2 Certified - PR Web - May 1st, 2021
- Lessons Learned from Warehouse Management Systems in the Cloud - DC Velocity - April 28th, 2021
- Inside Google's soaring earnings: 'Our cloud services are helping businesses, big and small, accelerate their digital transformations'" - WRAL... - April 28th, 2021
- Cloud Hosting Service Providers Market 2021 Is Booming Across the Globe by Share, Size, Growth, Segments and Forecast to 2027 | Top Players Analysis-... - April 28th, 2021
- S/4HANA Cloud extended edition (EX): Buying team overview - TechTarget - April 28th, 2021
- Scooter's Coffee to open another outlet on Highway 58 and more business news - Chattanooga Times Free Press - April 28th, 2021
- Application Hosting Market is Anticipated to touch USD XX Mn size by 2026 Clark County Blog - Clark County Blog - April 28th, 2021
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market Research Report by Type, by Application, by End User Global Forecast to 2027 Cumulative Impact of COVID-19 ... - April 28th, 2021
- Using IBM Cloud As Host, Ocucon Introduces Pixelate In The US Market - SecurityInformed - April 28th, 2021
- Southeast Asia Web Hosting Services Market 2021 Global Trends, Share, Growth, Analysis, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 | Amazon Web Services, AT... - April 28th, 2021
- Cenmax added a new Japan Location to its Cloud Service - Virtual-Strategy Magazine - April 28th, 2021
- Cloud technology services How they drive tangible innovation for businesses today - ITProPortal - April 28th, 2021
- Developing Africa as a continent through interconnection - ITWeb - April 12th, 2021
- OVHcloud US Announces New Scale and High-Grade Ranges of Bare Metal Servers - Business Wire - April 8th, 2021
- At 31.8% CAGR, Bare Metal Cloud Market is Surging with $12,287.1 Million Led by Internap Corporation, Rackspace Hosting, Joyent, Packet Host, Scaleway... - April 8th, 2021
- Cloud Hosting Service Market Demand with Industry Growth Trends, Competitive Landscape & Business Opportunities by 2026 The Bisouv Network - The... - April 8th, 2021
- Kubernetes Technology: It's Time to Consider the Perks! - RTInsights - April 8th, 2021
- TelcoSwitch makes second acquisition of 2021 with PBX Hosting - ComputerWeekly.com - April 8th, 2021
- Liquid Web partners with Threat Stack to provide Threat Stack Oversight to managed hosting customers - SecurityInfoWatch - April 8th, 2021
- Cloud Web Hosting Services Market Trend, Technology Innovations and Growth Pred - Business-newsupdate.com - April 8th, 2021
- How BaapStore is helping small businesses crack the e-commerce code with dropshipping formula - YourStory - April 8th, 2021
- Health Care Cloud and Hosting Market 2021 Is Booming Across the Globe by Share, Size, Growth, Segments and Forecast to 2027 | Top Players Analysis-... - April 8th, 2021
- Free guide for local authorities and housing providers about cloud solutions in TEC - AT Today - April 8th, 2021
- Dominion Hosting S p A : DHH will join the 16th Edition of the SMALLCAP EVENT 2021 | MarketScreener - Marketscreener.com - April 8th, 2021
- project44 to Host First Digital Age of Trucking Event - Business Wire - April 8th, 2021
- Global Application Hosting Market 2021: Key Trends and Growing Demand by 2026 The Bisouv Network - The Bisouv Network - March 27th, 2021
- From private to public: Amadeus on working with Microsoft to change up its cloud strategy - ComputerWeekly.com - March 27th, 2021
- Kubient Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2020 Results - PRNewswire - March 27th, 2021
- Pandemic Insights Secures $5M Series A Financing From Convergence Ventures - Business Wire - March 27th, 2021
- Virtual Private Server or Dedicated Server? Which solution is best for your business? Web Hosting | Cloud Computing | Datacenter | Domain News -... - March 24th, 2021
- The 9 Best Cloud Hosting Providers 2021 | Ranked and Reviewed - March 24th, 2021
- DigitalOcean: The IPO Deep Dive - The Deep Dive - March 24th, 2021
- Cloud Migration Market May See Big Move with Major Giants : Rackspace Hosting Inc., Accenture PLC, VMware Inc. - The Courier - March 24th, 2021
- Cloud Computing Will Be a Goldmine in the Post Covid-Era - Entrepreneur - March 24th, 2021
- Combat Networks Announces the Acquisition of Infrastructure and Managed Services experts, Duologik and GDL Solutions - Business Wire - March 24th, 2021
- Protecting women in the cloud: eSafety hopes the Online Safety Act will do just that - ZDNet - March 24th, 2021
- Bare Metal Cloud Market 2021 Insights with Statistics and Growth Prediction Oracle Corporation, Packet, IBM Corporation, Centurylink Incorporation,... - March 24th, 2021
- CXO Research: 58% of Data Backups are Failing, Creating Data Protection Challenges and Limiting Digital Transformation Initiatives - Business Wire - March 24th, 2021
- Oracle specialist teams with ADC to address federal market - iTWire - March 24th, 2021
- Tribal Group wins five-year SaaS contract with NZ tertiary education institution - iTWire - March 24th, 2021
- Disaster recovery and the cloud - three options for 24/7 businesses - ITProPortal - March 16th, 2021
- The inventor of the WorldWideWeb exclusively at CloudFest! Web Hosting | Cloud Computing | Datacenter | Domain News - Daily Host News - March 16th, 2021
- Another top cloud vendor picks AMD processors over Intel - TechRadar - March 16th, 2021
- Getting to the cloud can be a challenge, but GSA is ready to help - Federal News Network - March 16th, 2021
- Sherweb Executives On Bringing Cloud Services, Security To MSPs - CRN - March 16th, 2021
- Businesses Take Advantage of the Many Benefits the Cloud Offers - Press Release - Digital Journal - March 16th, 2021
- Cloudburst: Hard lessons learned from the OVH datacenter blaze - VentureBeat - March 16th, 2021
- Global Web Hosting Services Market Report 2021: Market is Forecast to Reach $204.6 Billion by 2024 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - March 16th, 2021