Cloud computing is the new-age mode of operations for businesses all over the globe
Cloud computing enables businesses to overcome the challenges of the legacy IT setup
In the first half of last year, there were over 3,800 data breaches
In this day and age, the global economy revolves around business-critical data, used to draft strategies and make informed decisions. Moreover, with businesses adopting technologies like AI to leverage Big Data into getting key insights, the role of data was never more crucial.
However, as India saw the security challenges escalating in the past year, businesses are looking for robust and advanced methods to secure their data. The on-premise security architecture has gone obsolete with geographically-bound infrastructure. As the adoption of cloud technology takes the data out of the private secured premises to the data centres in the cloud, a new approach to securing the data assets is required.
Cloud computing is the new-age mode of operations for businesses all over the globe. Cloud can be explained as a computing environment with a cluster of connected server resources virtualised into several instances and provided to multiple organisations. You can access the cloud environment from remote locations through internet-connected end-point devices like Desktop, laptops, and smartphones.
Cloud computing enables businesses to overcome the challenges of the legacy IT setup like the rigidity of hardware, mobility, capital expenses, and hardware issues. But the most impressive aspect of cloud technology is the robust security environment it can offer to business-critical data.
When compared to the traditional security protocols at the local premises, cloud providers use various advanced security methods and have dedicated security teams to constantly monitor and guard critical data from the prying eyes of the hackers. Nowadays, businesses can go for third-party cloud providers who host applications and data inside multiple layers of protection.
A plethora of security threats loom over the business process, each having its own disastrous implications. Stories about data breaches regularly make the news. Just in the first half of last year, there were over 3,800 data breaches. As a result of these breaches,over 4 billion records were exposed, according to Risk Based Security research.
Here are some of the common methods of cyberattacks and the security measures implemented by the cloud providers to prevent them.
A DDoS attack bombards a data server with millions of fake requests (data packets), making it impossible for the server to meet genuine demands. When such an attack is successful, the business may become inoperative for hours, if not days. The cost of a DDoS attack is financial. It also impacts the reputation of the company that suffered the attack.
On a local IT setup, it is not possible to foresee such an attack. However, the cloud hosting providers monitor the network 24/7 for any anomalies in the data. By analysing the network patterns like type and intensity in a given time frame, any unusual traffic is identified and filtered immediately from reaching and overwhelming the companys computer resources.
A brute force attack is one in which an intruder tries to gain access to a server or website by repeatedly trying different username and password combinations. Such an attack is considered the purest form of attack. When it is successful, perpetrators gain access to valuable data.
The cloud providers deploy methods like multi-factor authentication to ensure protection against brute force attacks. As the user requires multiple methods to login to the cloud, even if a method is compromised, the hacker cannot get into the system.
A man in the middle attack happens when an unauthorised user intercepts communication between a sender and receiver. The third party, when it is successful, can alter the data being shared between authorised senders and receivers.
The cloud providers deploy methods like data encryption and multi-factor authentication to ensure protection against such attacks. Data encryption ensures that the data is transmitted in an encrypted form and cannot be comprehended by an unauthorised user who does not have the encryption key to decode the data.
Ransomware is a malware that holds a computer/network hostage until a ransom fee is paid. They infiltrate PCs with Trojan horses or computer worms by taking advantage of security loopholes. The ransomware can then be injected into the system and data is encrypted by the hacker with a key that is available only to a hacker. Unless ransomware is paid, the hacker does not share the key to decrypt in order to use the data.
The malware can then be injected with an external device (flash drives), or through the Internet (emails, websites, or attachments).
The cloud providers deploy firewalls and UTM (Unified Threat Management) devices to counter all types of threats, besides updated versions of antivirus and anti-malware in each data entry point. The users can put email restrictions, blocking the emails that do not belong to their organisation. Moreover, the cloud providers backup data automatically in multiple locations to recover it easily in case of an attack.
Software programs are purposely written to probe a computer and exploit vulnerabilities, and security holes are called web attack tool kits. Such tool kits can be used to create a path into users systems through security holes and vulnerabilities.
To counter these threats, cloud computing companies are investing heavily in security systems like Intrusion Detection and Prevention that constantly scan the computer network for any dirty traffic.
Cloud operators deploy security teams to constantly monitor network traffic and unusual events in the servers by collecting logs and using co-relations engines to detect any threat based on server and firewall logs.
In the near future, there will be different niche approaches as far as cybersecurity is concerned. One of them is the passwordless approach. The passwordless approach will be adopted by about 60% of large enterprises and 90% of mid-sized businesses, according to Gartner.
Citing the risks of threats like brute force attack and ransomware, the need for entering passwords will be eliminated and replaced by tokens and OTPs.
Another development in the world of cybersecurity is the adoption of Artificial Intelligence (AI) into the cloud security systems. AI will help cloud security experts in identifying data anomalies by automating data monitoring tasks.
Apart from hosting applications and data on cloud, the cloud providers also offer services like Backup as a Service (BaaS) and Security as a Service (SECaaS). The businesses can avail these to keep their data protected, even when hosted in the local premises.
- Jelastic PaaS Expanded for Educational Institutions with Reclaim Cloud Hosting in the USA, Canada and the United Kingdom - HostReview.com - August 10th, 2020
- Big Boom In Health Care Cloud and Hosting Market With A Growing CACR During 2020-2027| Med Tech Solutions Inc, Rackspace, Health Catalyst, OVH Cloud,... - August 10th, 2020
- Verizon Business Plans to Simplify and Accelerate E2E IoT Solution with Microsoft Azure - The Fast Mode - August 10th, 2020
- What you should know when creating your own website - MyBroadband - August 10th, 2020
- Palomino Inc. Completes Acquisition of GCIS Inc. to Grow Cloud Hosting and Business Application Support in Times of COVID-19 - Yahoo Finance - August 8th, 2020
- Cloud Infrastructure Services Market Research Report by Service Type, by Organization Size, by Deployment, by Vertical - Global Forecast to 2025 -... - August 8th, 2020
- Cloud Hosted vs. On-Premise vs. Self Hosted vs. Private Cloud PMS: All Platforms Have Advantages; Which is Right for You? | By Warren Dehan -... - August 8th, 2020
- Capital One to pay $80M penalty over 2019 data breach - Banking Dive - August 8th, 2020
- 16 reasons why you should move your backup to a NZ-hosted solution - IT Brief New Zealand - August 8th, 2020
- All PMS Platforms Have Advantages, But Which One is Right for Your Hotel? | - Hotel Technology News - August 8th, 2020
- Bare metal vs dedicated servers: which is the better web hosting option? - ITProPortal - August 8th, 2020
- Help For Caregivers Coming to St Cloud VA - KNSI Radio - August 8th, 2020
- [Webinar] eDiscovery In The Age of Cloud Applications: How To Collect From Slack - August 20th, 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm ET - JD Supra - August 8th, 2020
- Army transitions from Industrial Age to Information Age Fort Carson Mountaineer - fortcarsonmountaineer.com - July 25th, 2020
- Adobe Partners With Red Hat, Google Updates AI Offering and More CX News - CMSWire - July 25th, 2020
- Cloud Migration - COVID Effect - Story of Future - July 25th, 2020
- Pandemic shockwave shatters cultural barriers to cloud adoption - Daily Trust - July 25th, 2020
- How much it costs to build and host a website in South Africa - MyBroadband - July 25th, 2020
- Network Host Service Market to Grow Significantly With Increasing Advancements in Technology, Says QYR| AT&T, Google Cloud, GoDaddy - Owned - July 25th, 2020
- A CoE in IoT in Agriculture at Guwahati, Animation at Shillong and Emerging Tech-AR/VR Launched - Express Computer - July 25th, 2020
- Top 5 Things to Know in the Market on Thursday, July 23rd By .com - Up News Info - July 25th, 2020
- Cloud Hosting Service Market Size By Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies And Forecast Up To 2026 - 3rd... - July 14th, 2020
- Health Care Cloud and Hosting Market Comprehensive Survey on Demand by 2025 - Cole of Duty - July 14th, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 on Application Hosting 2020-2027 with Focusing Key players like IBM, AWS, Google, Rackspace, etc - Cole of Duty - July 14th, 2020
- Google reportedly abandoned a cloud computing product for the Chinese market - The Verge - July 14th, 2020
- Southeast Asia Web Hosting Services Market Share, 5evelopment Status and Outlook by Players To 2020-2025 | Amazon Web Services, AT & T, Google,... - July 14th, 2020
- Migrating Your Clients to an Alternative Cloud Provider is Easier than You Might Think - Channel Futures - July 14th, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market Size By Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies And Forecast Up To 2026... - July 14th, 2020
- Bullish Google looks to invest $10 billion over 7 years to digitize India - Livemint - July 14th, 2020
- Cloud Hosting Service Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 8th, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 8th, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market: 2020 Global Industry Size, Share, Uses, Benefits, Trends, Growth Application, Key Manufacturers and 2026 Demand... - July 8th, 2020
- Y Soft announces YSoft SAFEQ Cloud, a New Family of Cloud-Based Print Services - What They Think - July 8th, 2020
- Industry VoicesRaynovich: The cloud is swallowing everything - FierceTelecom - July 8th, 2020
- Mohamed Arab Joins VPLS as VP of Cloud and Managed Services - PR Web - July 8th, 2020
- Dremio Dives Deep Below the Surface for the Industry's First Cloud Data Lake Conference - Business Wire - July 8th, 2020
- Astonishing growth in Cloud Communications Platform Market anticipates to grow at $ 4.4 billion by 2021, from 2016 to 2021, with CAGR of 26.8% with... - July 8th, 2020
- MediaOps' New 'Digital Anarchist' Streaming Video Platform Delivers Expert Content on What's Next In DevOps, Cybersecurity, Cloud Native and Digital... - July 8th, 2020
- Green House Data and Zerto Fast-Track Digital Transformation with Hybrid Cloud Resilience and Portability - MyHostNews.com - July 8th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact On Cloud Hosting Service Providers Market Projection By Latest Technology, Global Analysis, Industry Growth, Current Trends And... - July 4th, 2020
- Sell-Side Technology Awards 2020: Best Cloud Provider to the Sell SideBT - www.waterstechnology.com - July 4th, 2020
- Global Cloud Hosting Service Market 2020 Analysis, Types, Applications, Forecast and COVID-19 Impact Analysis 2026 - Daily Research Chronicles - July 4th, 2020
- Green House Data and Zerto Fast-Track Digital Transformation with Hybrid Cloud Resilience - AiThority - July 4th, 2020
- Leaseweb's Five-Year Growth Exceeds Double the Market Average, Further Cementing Position as Top Player in International Cloud Hosting Market -... - July 4th, 2020
- THNQ fund from ROBO Global looks ahead to AI infrastructure growth - Robot Report - July 4th, 2020
- Bare Metal Cloud Market research, Industry Outlook, Current Trends and Forecast by 2025 - CueReport - July 4th, 2020
- Application Hosting Market | Global Industry Analysis, Segments, Top Key Players, Drivers and Trends to 2027 - Cole of Duty - July 4th, 2020
- Professional Services Automation Market Key Vendors, Analysis by Growth and Revolutionary Opportunities by 2025 - Apsters News - July 4th, 2020
- VyOS and FastNetMon Announce Integration | 2020-07-01 | Press Releases - Stockhouse - July 4th, 2020
- India bans 59 Chinese apps including TikTok and WeChat - Data Economy - July 4th, 2020
- Global Bare Metal Cloud Market with Covid-19 Effect Analysis | likewise Industry is Booming Globaly with Key Players IBM Corporation, Oracle... - July 4th, 2020
- Leaseweb's Five-Year growth Exceeds Double the Market Average, Further Cementing Position as Top Player in International Cloud Hosting Market - PR Web - June 30th, 2020
- Cloud hosting group confident on future prospects - The Business Desk - June 30th, 2020
- Connor and Scalio Announce Venture to Bring GRC and License Optimization to the Cloud - GlobeNewswire - June 30th, 2020
- What Is Cloud Computing? - World Atlas - June 30th, 2020
- Thought Machine's Vault Now Proven and Available on All Infrastructure Options: SaaS, Private or Public Cloud, Hybrid Cloud and on Premises - Business... - June 30th, 2020
- Global Application Hosting Market : Industry Analysis and forecast 2020 2027 - Morning Tick - June 30th, 2020
- Data Centers Above the Clouds: Colocation Goes to Space - Data Center Frontier - June 30th, 2020
- 'This Pandemic Has Highlighted The Importance Of Cloud System': Anand Chandra, Synechron - Express Computer - June 30th, 2020
- Southeast Asia Web Hosting Services Market 2020 Digital Learning, Growth Analysis, Industry Trends, Advanced Technologies, Services, Business Overview... - June 30th, 2020
- 4 common software maintenance models and when to use them - TechTarget - June 30th, 2020
- Applying AI and Cloud Technologies for Multivariate Control in Upstream Processes, Upcoming Webinar Hosted by Xtalks - PR Web - June 30th, 2020
- How to Host Your Own VPN with Algo and Cloud Hosting - How-To Geek - June 27th, 2020
- Web Hosting Services Market 2019 Size Overview By Industrial Application, E-Commerce Boom, Cloud Hosting, Latest Trends, New-Advancements in Internet... - June 27th, 2020
- This week in storage: Teradata in the cloud, WD Zoned SSDs and more - Blocks and Files - June 27th, 2020
- Top 10 Cloud Technology Market Exclusive insight on Transformation 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 27th, 2020
- Why you should shun unmanaged hosting and adopt managed - MOARGeek - June 27th, 2020
- E.ON selects Wipro for grid and digital transformation - Smart Energy - June 27th, 2020
- Application Hosting Market Key Players, Industry Overview, Application and Analysis to 2020-2026 - 3rd Watch News - June 27th, 2020
- Top 5 IT Certifications That Will Get You Paid in 2020 - ClearanceJobs - ClearanceJobs - June 27th, 2020
- Global personal cloud market is expected to grow with a healthy CAGR over the forecast period from 2020-2026 - Salamanca Press - June 27th, 2020
- An Introduction to Dave Antrobus, technology director of Fresh Thinking Group - Business MattersBusiness Matters - June 27th, 2020
- Uploadcare Media Pipeline for Online Business Wins at Nanjing Tech Week Competition - AsiaOne - June 27th, 2020
- JIESHUN Smart Parking and Cloud Hosting at Shenzhen Bao'an International Airport - Parking Network - June 22nd, 2020
- Cloud Hosting Service Market Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Share, Growth, Statistics, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 22nd, 2020
- Global Application Hosting Market 2020 by Type, Share, Applications, Key Players, Growth, Trends and Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 22nd, 2020
- Grading and audio post in the cloud | Industry Trends | IBC - IBC365 - June 22nd, 2020
- Serverless Architecture Market 2020 Global Trend, Segmentation and Opportunities Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 22nd, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact and Recovery Analysis- Global Email Hosting Services Market 2020-2024 | Growing Adoption of the Bring-Your-Own-Device (BYOD) Policy to... - June 22nd, 2020
- Global Cloud Hosting Service Market Expected to Grow with a Significant Rate by 2024 Top Players : DreamHost, GoDaddy, HostGator, InMotion, Bluehost,... - June 22nd, 2020