There can be a good deal of variation in performance across cloud providers, the 2019-2020 edition of ThousandEyes' Cloud Performance Benchmark report found.
The 72-page report is based on a study that looked at Amazon Web Services (AWS), Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Microsoft Azure, Alibaba Cloud and IBM Cloud over a period of 30 days from a number of vantage points. ThousandEyes collected 320 million data points from 98 global metro locations to gauge performance across the public cloud services.
The report found that both AWS and Alibaba Cloud rely on the public internet for much of the data transport, which means there is the potential for unknown risks to cloud performance to be introduced as neither company owns the data links. AWS does have its own private network, known as the AWS Global Accelerator, though apparently it doesn't always outperform the public internet.
"When AWS launched its Global Accelerator in November 2018, the intent was to let customers use the AWS private backbone network for a feerather than use the public internet, which is AWS default behavior," Angelique Medina, ThousandEyes' director of product marketing, told IT Pro Today. "While there are many examples in various regions around the world where the Global Accelerator trumps the internet connectivity path in performance, the ThousandEyes Cloud Performance Benchmark found examples of negligible improvementand even cases of worse performancewhen compared to default AWS connectivity via the internet."
Typically the cloud providers either use public internet links or private links, with IBM being the only cloud provider with a hybrid approach to cloud connectivity from users to hosting regions. According to ThousandEyes, depending on the hosting region and the expanse of the IBM Cloud backbone, user traffic rides the internet longer or enters the cloud providers backbone closer to the end user.
Looking at global cloud performance, ThousandEyes found roughly similar levels of performance across Western Europe and North America. The same cannot be said for other regions, with GCP having 2.5 to 3 times the network latency of its rivals, when measuring connectivity from Europe to India.
There is also a dramatic reduction in performance for all cloud traffic heading into China, thanks to China's so-called "Great Firewall," which is a robust content filtering machine.
"Employing a multitude of censorship toolssuch as IP blocking, DNS tampering and hijacking, deep packet inspection, and keyword filteringthe Great Firewall is designed to ensure that online content aligns with the government party line," the report states. "Privacy and ethics concerns aside, one of the drawbacks to this system is a vast reduction in performance."
ThousandEyes is in the business of providing network-level visibility for its users. Alongside the cloud benchmark report, the company announced its new Internet Insights service, which goes beyond what it had been offering in the past.
Medina explained that ThousandEyes' core service provides cross-layer visibility into application delivery over the internet. In contrast, she noted that Internet Insights is service provider-centric and provides a broad view of internet health. It leverages telemetry data derived from the testing performed by all of ThousandEyes' customers to identify outage events in service provider networks.
"Internet Insights is highly complementary to our existing offering, as it enables our customers to understand their application delivery in the context of the wider internet," Medina said. "It also enables our customers to manage external providers more effectively because they now have historical visibility into availability issuesnot just globally, but regionally as well."
The improved visibility has already been a big help to one ThousandEyes customer. The customer was complaining that it was unable to connect to a service, according to Medina. It could see in its ThousandEyes tests that there was network packet loss in an upstream telecom provider but couldnt determine the scope of the issue and why so many customers appeared to be impacted.
"Using Internet Insights, they were able to trace the cause to widespread internet issues that were caused by a Cloudflare route leak," she said. "They were able to mitigate the impact of the route leak early enough to get ahead of the issue by communicating with customers and working with one of their providers to reroute traffic around the most significantly impacted zones."
- Ways In Which Cloud Hosting Affects SEO Services And Results - HostReview.com - January 13th, 2020
- Home Office reinforces commitment to AWS with 100m cloud hosting deal - ComputerWeekly.com - January 13th, 2020
- WSL 2: Where is it, and where is it going? - TechRepublic - January 13th, 2020
- The biggest govtech deals of the week (13/01/20) - NS Tech - January 13th, 2020
- Lost in Migration? Attributing carbon when outsourcing to cloud - Data Economy - January 13th, 2020
- UKCloud announces new discounts to help organisations thrive and build an increasingly independent national capability - RealWire - January 13th, 2020
- How Cloud Computing is Driving the Industrial Revolution 4.0 - Elets - January 13th, 2020
- Informatica expands its leadership team and appoints Amit Walia as CEO - Data Economy - January 8th, 2020
- Enhancing Hyperscale Cloud Growth at the infra // STRUCTURE Summit - Yahoo Finance - January 8th, 2020
- Green House Data Adds Digital Transformation Expert Victor Tingler to Executive Team to Lead Enterprise Consulting Services - Yahoo Finance - January 8th, 2020
- Five Things To Do in St. Cloud, Jan. 13-17 - SC Times - January 8th, 2020
- FASB cloud computing cost standard to soon take effect - Compliance Week - January 3rd, 2020
- Amazon, Google, Microsoft: Who had the best year in cloud in 2019? - The Register - January 3rd, 2020
- Recovery In The Cloud: An Online Alternative To Face-To-Face AA Meetings - Forbes - January 3rd, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market Future Investment Initiatives, Growing with Technology Development, New Innovations, Competitive Analysis and... - January 3rd, 2020
- Five Things To Do in St. Cloud, Jan. 6-10 - SC Times - January 3rd, 2020
- Are you ready to rock? City of St. Cloud hosting annual New Year's Eve event - Osceola News-Gazette - December 30th, 2019
- The biggest government tech stories of 2019 part one - PublicTechnology - December 30th, 2019
- The year of the French unicorns - TechCrunch - December 30th, 2019
- Startup Events This Week: Pulse42 and Mixer By Inc42, Drone Festival - Inc42 Media - December 30th, 2019
- Head to Head Survey: Snap (NYSE:SNAP) and Infinite Group (NYSE:IMCI) - Trent Times - December 30th, 2019
- Microsoft and Oracle extend their international cloud love-in - Data Economy - December 26th, 2019
- GDS publishes guidance on avoiding cloud lock-in - UKAuthority.com - December 26th, 2019
- Three Most Valuable Benefits that Encourage Companies to Adopt Serverless Architecture - Embedded Computing Design - December 26th, 2019
- Year-end Experience with the future prediction from Leaders - APN News - December 26th, 2019
- Key Factors behind Colocation and Managed Hosting Services Market Climbs on Positive Outlook of Booming Sales - Market Reports Observer - December 26th, 2019
- Will 2020 Be the Year of LoRa Networks? - Embedded Computing Design - December 26th, 2019
- Building Tech Solutions And Giving Back - Forbes - December 26th, 2019
- Allscripts Healthcare Solutions (NASDAQ:MDRX) Upgraded to Hold by ValuEngine - Slater Sentinel - December 26th, 2019
- Unisys objects to CFPB cloud award - Washington Technology - December 19th, 2019
- Cloud Hosting Service Market Size Will Grow Profitably In Upcoming Estimation, Challenges And Future Forecast 2025 - Bulletin Line - December 19th, 2019
- BP selects AWS over Azure for cloud-first strategy and climate ambitions - Diginomica - December 19th, 2019
- How to Eliminate IT Complexity and Succeed - Marketing Tech Outlook - December 19th, 2019
- Checkmarx Recognized as AWS Provider of Application Security Testing Solutions for Public Sector - HostReview.com - December 19th, 2019
- Bidco to acquire cloud firm after Boards agree on 79.4m deal - East Midlands Business Link - December 19th, 2019
- Bare Metal Cloud Market Scope and Opportunities Analysis 2017 2025 - News Cast Report - December 19th, 2019
- Kubernetes Security Leader Alcide Releases 2020 Predictions: Kubernetes on the Edge, Intelligent and Automated K8s Security and the Rise of... - December 19th, 2019
- Understanding the Benefits of Microsoft Azure Consulting for your Business - The Future of Things - December 19th, 2019
- Leaseweb USA Research Reveals that Nearly Two Thirds of Organizations Cite Hybrid or Private Cloud as the Future Infrastructure of Choice -... - December 19th, 2019
- Cloud Hosting Service Market Competitive Landscaping Mapping The Key Common Trends, Growth Analysis and Forecast 2024 - News Tribune - December 16th, 2019
- How SmartLogic helped these teams grow and manage scale with DevOps support - Technical.ly Brooklyn - December 16th, 2019
- Summit acquires fellow hosting company to boost its SMB reach - Data Economy - December 16th, 2019
- Atlassian welcomes third-party developers into the cloud with Forge - SDTimes.com - December 16th, 2019
- Working at the heart of digitalisation - Data Economy - December 16th, 2019
- Bare Metal Cloud Market 2019 In-Depth Analysis and Future Forecast 2019-2026 | Key Players include IBM Corporation , Oracle Corporation , Centurylink... - December 16th, 2019
- The Top 13 Cloud Computing Conferences to Attend in 2020 - Solutions Review - December 14th, 2019
- Oracle Plans To Ride ERP And Database To Greater Cloud Glory - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - December 14th, 2019
- Understanding Control, Security and Risk When Moving to Cloud - - Enterprise Times - December 14th, 2019
- 8 Cloud Outages That Shook The Tech World In 2019 - Analytics India Magazine - December 14th, 2019
- Microsoft Is Ignoring Amazons Dispute Over The U.S. JEDI Cloud Contract - Wccftech - December 14th, 2019
- Schneider Electric Wins 'AI/ Machine Learning Innovation' and 'Edge Project of the Year' at the 2019 SDC Awards - EnerCom Inc. - December 14th, 2019
- Firms believe hybrid or private cloud to be the future, research shows - DevOps Online - December 14th, 2019
- Global Bare Metal Cloud Market Foresight by 2019 2025| Key Companies IBM Corp., Oracle Corporation, Centurylink Incorporation, Rackspace Hosting... - December 14th, 2019
- What is Platform-as-a-Service? Everything you need to know about PaaS - TechRadar - December 9th, 2019
- Data security and the cloud: 3 things your team needs to know - TechBeacon - December 9th, 2019
- Australian animation studio, Animal Logic, partners with AWS to render films in the cloud - Which-50 - December 9th, 2019
- G7CR Technologies - The Journey of 2019 Microsoft Country Partner - Techstory - December 9th, 2019
- Service Express Addresses the Failure Curve at Gartner IT Infrastructure, Operations & Cloud Strategies Conference 2019 - PR Web - December 9th, 2019
- Global Cloud Hosting Service Market 2019 Industry Research, Segmentation, Key Players Analysis and Forecast to 2024 - News Midget - December 4th, 2019
- Logz.io Unveils First-Ever Open Source-Based Cloud Observability Platform Powered by ELK and Grafana - GlobeNewswire - December 4th, 2019
- 'Big 3' Public Cloud Providers: 4 Reasons Not to Use Them - ITPro Today - December 4th, 2019
- Global Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market 2019 by Manufacturers, Countries, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 - World Industry Reports - December 4th, 2019
- Join Us For The IBM i On The Public Cloud Webinar - IT Jungle - December 4th, 2019
- Amazon reveals new server chip to take on Intel - MyBroadband - December 4th, 2019
- SysGroup (LON:SYS) Hits New 1-Year Low at $33.50 - TechNewsObserver - December 4th, 2019
- How to match your IT workloads to the right cloud - TechBeacon - December 2nd, 2019
- Application modernisation in 2020 and beyond why businesses need to be ready now - CIO Australia - December 2nd, 2019
- Black Friday & Cyber Monday: These web hosting offers come only once a year - MyHostNews.com - November 30th, 2019
- HostNOC offering a big discount on its hosting and dedicated servers - Press Release - Digital Journal - November 30th, 2019
- Processing 30 billion images a month, heres how ImageKit delivers 98% of the optimised images in under 50 mil - YourStory - November 30th, 2019
- Cloud-based Database Market 2019 to Perceive Biggest Trend and Opportunity with Key Players Google, Amazon Web Services, IBM, Microsoft, Oracle,... - November 30th, 2019
- This Week in Jobs: We're one wild turkey - Technical.ly - November 30th, 2019
- Data Center Outsourcing and Hybrid Infrastructure Managed Services Market Revenue, Region Analysis, And Forecast 2024 - Space Market Research - November 30th, 2019
- Why Is Apple Trusted More Than Google? - Forbes - November 30th, 2019
- Ryuk ransomware attack on cloud hosting company affected 110 hospitals - TEISS - November 28th, 2019
- Embrace the Journey of Technological Transformation - CIOReview - November 28th, 2019
- Global Disaster Recovery-as-a-Service (DRaaS) Market 2018-2022 | Evolving Opportunities with IBM and iland | Technavio - Business Wire - November 28th, 2019
- Join In For The IBM i On The Public Cloud Webinar - IT Jungle - November 28th, 2019
- If tsoHost is lecturing us on sleep hygiene, Brit outfit really does have hosting back to front - The Register - November 28th, 2019
- DHA SDD Shifting Health IT Outlook for 2020 - GovernmentCIO Media - November 28th, 2019