Microsoft has snapped up a high-performance computing (HPC) company in its quest to cloudify practically all types of enterprise workloads. The Redmond, Wash. IT vendor has acquired HPC company Cycle Computing for an undisclosed amount, the companies said on Aug. 15.
The deal, along with the GreenButton deal of 2014, adds to the company's technology portfolio to make it more competitive in the increasingly crowded market for enterprise cloud services.
"The cloud war is on but it's not about price. Its more about providing services and solutions to help solve complex problems. We are not talking about development environments anymore; this is more about real workloads moving into the cloud, causing a huge demand for managed services," Adnan Raja, vice president of marketing at cloud hosting provider Atlantic.Net, told eWEEK in email remarks.
Cycle Computing, a charter member of the Cloud Native Computing Foundation, specializes in cloud orchestration software that enables organizations to run compute-intensive workloads, or Big Compute as Microsoft terms it, on cloud computing infrastructures. Before cloud-based HPC, such workloads typically required the use to expensive supercomputers or clusters.
Without naming names, Cycle Computing claims that its customers are among the top five life insurance companies and the top ten pharmaceutical and biotech firms, among other corporate giants. Last year, Dell tapped Cycle Computing for a proof-of-concept that demonstrated an HPC-as-a-service with hybrid cloud management capabilities.
Today, Cycle Computing is the latest example of cloud consolidation.
"Microsoft's acquisition is a perfect example of where the industry is headed, with competitive landscape of a very few specialized cloud providers," added Raja. "This acquisition shows how serious the competition is and consolidation is happening at a rapid pace. But competition is always good and healthy for the industry."
In his announcement, Jason Zander, corporate vice president of Microsoft Azure, said his company's extensive global cloud and Cycle Computing's expertise in enabling massively scalable applications not only opens up new possibilities, but will make more HPC accessible to customers. "Their technology will further enhance our support of Linux HPC workloads and make it easier to extend on-premise workloads to the cloud," he added.
The Cycle Computing buy aside, Microsoft has been steadily expanding its cloud HPC portfolio.
In 2015, the company announced Azure virtual machines that support Linux Remote Direct Memory Access (RDMA) with Intel Message Passing Interface (MPI), allowing workloads to better capitalize on the company's InfiniBand network for high-throughput, low-latency performance. Last year, the company released Batch Shipyard v.1 under its Azure Big Compute suite, allowing customers to quickly deploy batch-style, Dockerized workloads on the company's Azure Batch compute management and job scheduling service (itself based on the company's acquisition of GreenButton).
The technology giant faces some competition in its bid to bring HPC to the masses, however.
In May, supercomputer maker Cray announced it had partnered with cloud provider Markley, offering the HPC capabilities of its Urika-GX appliances as an infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) offering. Beyond Markley, the storied supercomputer vendor is exploring other ways of bringing its innovations to market.
Read the rest here:
Microsoft Acquires Cycle Computing to Bulk Up its HPC Cloud Services - eWeek
- Cloud Hosting Service Market Size By Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies And Forecast Up To 2026 - 3rd... - July 14th, 2020
- Health Care Cloud and Hosting Market Comprehensive Survey on Demand by 2025 - Cole of Duty - July 14th, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 on Application Hosting 2020-2027 with Focusing Key players like IBM, AWS, Google, Rackspace, etc - Cole of Duty - July 14th, 2020
- Google reportedly abandoned a cloud computing product for the Chinese market - The Verge - July 14th, 2020
- Southeast Asia Web Hosting Services Market Share, 5evelopment Status and Outlook by Players To 2020-2025 | Amazon Web Services, AT & T, Google,... - July 14th, 2020
- Migrating Your Clients to an Alternative Cloud Provider is Easier than You Might Think - Channel Futures - July 14th, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market Size By Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies And Forecast Up To 2026... - July 14th, 2020
- Bullish Google looks to invest $10 billion over 7 years to digitize India - Livemint - July 14th, 2020
- Cloud Hosting Service Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 8th, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 8th, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market: 2020 Global Industry Size, Share, Uses, Benefits, Trends, Growth Application, Key Manufacturers and 2026 Demand... - July 8th, 2020
- Y Soft announces YSoft SAFEQ Cloud, a New Family of Cloud-Based Print Services - What They Think - July 8th, 2020
- Industry VoicesRaynovich: The cloud is swallowing everything - FierceTelecom - July 8th, 2020
- Mohamed Arab Joins VPLS as VP of Cloud and Managed Services - PR Web - July 8th, 2020
- Dremio Dives Deep Below the Surface for the Industry's First Cloud Data Lake Conference - Business Wire - July 8th, 2020
- Astonishing growth in Cloud Communications Platform Market anticipates to grow at $ 4.4 billion by 2021, from 2016 to 2021, with CAGR of 26.8% with... - July 8th, 2020
- MediaOps' New 'Digital Anarchist' Streaming Video Platform Delivers Expert Content on What's Next In DevOps, Cybersecurity, Cloud Native and Digital... - July 8th, 2020
- Green House Data and Zerto Fast-Track Digital Transformation with Hybrid Cloud Resilience and Portability - MyHostNews.com - July 8th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact On Cloud Hosting Service Providers Market Projection By Latest Technology, Global Analysis, Industry Growth, Current Trends And... - July 4th, 2020
- Sell-Side Technology Awards 2020: Best Cloud Provider to the Sell SideBT - www.waterstechnology.com - July 4th, 2020
- Global Cloud Hosting Service Market 2020 Analysis, Types, Applications, Forecast and COVID-19 Impact Analysis 2026 - Daily Research Chronicles - July 4th, 2020
- Green House Data and Zerto Fast-Track Digital Transformation with Hybrid Cloud Resilience - AiThority - July 4th, 2020
- Leaseweb's Five-Year Growth Exceeds Double the Market Average, Further Cementing Position as Top Player in International Cloud Hosting Market -... - July 4th, 2020
- THNQ fund from ROBO Global looks ahead to AI infrastructure growth - Robot Report - July 4th, 2020
- Bare Metal Cloud Market research, Industry Outlook, Current Trends and Forecast by 2025 - CueReport - July 4th, 2020
- Application Hosting Market | Global Industry Analysis, Segments, Top Key Players, Drivers and Trends to 2027 - Cole of Duty - July 4th, 2020
- Professional Services Automation Market Key Vendors, Analysis by Growth and Revolutionary Opportunities by 2025 - Apsters News - July 4th, 2020
- VyOS and FastNetMon Announce Integration | 2020-07-01 | Press Releases - Stockhouse - July 4th, 2020
- India bans 59 Chinese apps including TikTok and WeChat - Data Economy - July 4th, 2020
- Global Bare Metal Cloud Market with Covid-19 Effect Analysis | likewise Industry is Booming Globaly with Key Players IBM Corporation, Oracle... - July 4th, 2020
- Leaseweb's Five-Year growth Exceeds Double the Market Average, Further Cementing Position as Top Player in International Cloud Hosting Market - PR Web - June 30th, 2020
- Cloud hosting group confident on future prospects - The Business Desk - June 30th, 2020
- Connor and Scalio Announce Venture to Bring GRC and License Optimization to the Cloud - GlobeNewswire - June 30th, 2020
- What Is Cloud Computing? - World Atlas - June 30th, 2020
- Thought Machine's Vault Now Proven and Available on All Infrastructure Options: SaaS, Private or Public Cloud, Hybrid Cloud and on Premises - Business... - June 30th, 2020
- Global Application Hosting Market : Industry Analysis and forecast 2020 2027 - Morning Tick - June 30th, 2020
- Data Centers Above the Clouds: Colocation Goes to Space - Data Center Frontier - June 30th, 2020
- 'This Pandemic Has Highlighted The Importance Of Cloud System': Anand Chandra, Synechron - Express Computer - June 30th, 2020
- Southeast Asia Web Hosting Services Market 2020 Digital Learning, Growth Analysis, Industry Trends, Advanced Technologies, Services, Business Overview... - June 30th, 2020
- 4 common software maintenance models and when to use them - TechTarget - June 30th, 2020
- Applying AI and Cloud Technologies for Multivariate Control in Upstream Processes, Upcoming Webinar Hosted by Xtalks - PR Web - June 30th, 2020
- How to Host Your Own VPN with Algo and Cloud Hosting - How-To Geek - June 27th, 2020
- Web Hosting Services Market 2019 Size Overview By Industrial Application, E-Commerce Boom, Cloud Hosting, Latest Trends, New-Advancements in Internet... - June 27th, 2020
- This week in storage: Teradata in the cloud, WD Zoned SSDs and more - Blocks and Files - June 27th, 2020
- Top 10 Cloud Technology Market Exclusive insight on Transformation 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 27th, 2020
- Why you should shun unmanaged hosting and adopt managed - MOARGeek - June 27th, 2020
- E.ON selects Wipro for grid and digital transformation - Smart Energy - June 27th, 2020
- Application Hosting Market Key Players, Industry Overview, Application and Analysis to 2020-2026 - 3rd Watch News - June 27th, 2020
- Top 5 IT Certifications That Will Get You Paid in 2020 - ClearanceJobs - ClearanceJobs - June 27th, 2020
- Global personal cloud market is expected to grow with a healthy CAGR over the forecast period from 2020-2026 - Salamanca Press - June 27th, 2020
- An Introduction to Dave Antrobus, technology director of Fresh Thinking Group - Business MattersBusiness Matters - June 27th, 2020
- Uploadcare Media Pipeline for Online Business Wins at Nanjing Tech Week Competition - AsiaOne - June 27th, 2020
- JIESHUN Smart Parking and Cloud Hosting at Shenzhen Bao'an International Airport - Parking Network - June 22nd, 2020
- Cloud Computing Transforming And Revolutionising Cybersecurity In India - Inc42 Media - June 22nd, 2020
- Cloud Hosting Service Market Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Share, Growth, Statistics, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 22nd, 2020
- Global Application Hosting Market 2020 by Type, Share, Applications, Key Players, Growth, Trends and Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 22nd, 2020
- Grading and audio post in the cloud | Industry Trends | IBC - IBC365 - June 22nd, 2020
- Serverless Architecture Market 2020 Global Trend, Segmentation and Opportunities Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 22nd, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact and Recovery Analysis- Global Email Hosting Services Market 2020-2024 | Growing Adoption of the Bring-Your-Own-Device (BYOD) Policy to... - June 22nd, 2020
- Global Cloud Hosting Service Market Expected to Grow with a Significant Rate by 2024 Top Players : DreamHost, GoDaddy, HostGator, InMotion, Bluehost,... - June 22nd, 2020
- VPLS recognized on CRN's list of Top 500 Solutions Providers for second consecutive year - PR Web - June 22nd, 2020
- Security problems with the Employment Security Department should have been fixed last year - washingtonpolicy.org - June 22nd, 2020
- Global Cloud-based Database Market 2020 by Type, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast To 2030 - 3rd Watch News - June 22nd, 2020
- Headliners, part I: 32 upcoming events & program deadlines in the Triangle - WRAL Tech Wire - June 22nd, 2020
- Global Network Host Service Market with Coronavirus (COVID-19) Impact Analysis | likewise Industry is Booming Globaly with Top Key Players | AT&T,... - June 22nd, 2020
- Behind the scenes of Israel's Global Data Center - Data Economy - June 22nd, 2020
- Tax small taxpayers but let the giants go? We can do better. - The Daily Star - June 22nd, 2020
- Global Data Center Outsourcing and Hybrid Infrastructure Managed Services Market Projected to Reach USD XX.XX billion by 2025- IBM, Wipro, Tata... - June 22nd, 2020
- Railway Management System Market to Eyewitness Massive Growth by 2028: Leading Key Players ABB, Alstom, Ansaldo, Bombardier Transportation, GE... - June 22nd, 2020
- All you need to know about cloud hosting - Business MattersBusiness Matters - June 9th, 2020
- Cloud Hosting Service Market 2019 Break Down by Top Companies, Countries, Applications, Challenges, Opportunities and Forecast 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 9th, 2020
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market Set to Take Giant Positive Leap - Cole of Duty - June 9th, 2020
- Online Accounting Went Virtual on Short Notice | Online Accounting Jobs - NEC News & Events - June 9th, 2020
- Global Trade Impact of the Coronavirus on Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market Reviewed in a New Study - 3rd Watch News - June 9th, 2020
- AGL announces huge shift to the Cloud - Which-50 - June 9th, 2020
- Moodle welcomes Adapt IT as a Certified Moodle Partner and strengthens presence across the Pan African market. - Moodle - June 9th, 2020
- Health Care Cloud and Hosting Market 2019 Break Down by Top Companies, Countries, Applications, Challenges, Opportunities and Forecast 2026 - Cole of... - June 9th, 2020
- UK signs cloud discount deal with Google to boost innovation - www.computing.co.uk - June 9th, 2020
- Data Breach Notification Software Market 2019 Break Down by Top Companies, Countries, Applications, Challenges, Opportunities and Forecast 2026 - Cole... - June 9th, 2020
- Triangle headliners: Previewing 71 local events & program deadlines this month - WRAL Tech Wire - June 9th, 2020