Oracle Executive Chairman and CTO Larry Ellison told investors the company expects to thoroughly dominate the ERP and database markets in the coming years, and it will leverage those advantages to spur its entire portfolio of business applications and cloud infrastructure services.
ERP and Autonomous Database are the two products that will "determine Oracle's future in cloud," Ellison said in the second-quarter earnings call for fiscal year 2020.
The tech giant will aggressively press that strategy with Safra Catz as its sole CEO, Ellison said, as Oracle has decided not to hire a second chief executive to fill the vacancy left when Mark Hurd died in October.
"How's our search going for a second CEO," Ellison repeated an analyst's question. "We don't have one. We have no plans for a second CEO."
[Related: How Much Are Oracle's Top Execs Paid?]
Oracle notched $9.6 billion in revenue for the quarter that ended Nov. 30a year-over-year gain of less than 1 percent in constant currency, Catz told investors.
Cloud services and license support accounted for $6.8 billion of that amount, growing 4 percent from the previous year in mostly subscription sales. At the same time, cloud and on-premises license sales were down 7 percent to $1.1 billion.
The opposing trendlines of those two segments illustrate the shift of customers from licensing to cloud deals, Catz explained, with services now accounting for more than 70 percent of Oracle's total revenue.
Commanding the ERP and database markets will further shift Oracle's business in that direction and drive the success of adjacent cloud applications across its large portfolio, as well as its second-generation IaaS, Ellison said.
Oracle's Fusion and NetSuite offerings have established a major lead for Oracle over cloud-based ERP competitors, he told investors. And an "integrated suite strategy" is redounding that success to its HCM solution, as well as CX and Marketing clouds.
The next-largest ERP vendor, Workday, only has a few hundred customers, and its "lack of success in cloud ERP is creating opportunities for Oracle," Ellison said.
But the "gigantic opportunity" in the market comes in poaching SAP customers, Ellison told investors.
"SAP never rewrote their ERP applications for the cloud," Ellison said. "As a result, SAP's install base is very vulnerable."
Oracle is already moving many midsize SAP customers to Fusion. And some of the German software giant's largest customers, including many in the heart of Germany, "are already working with us to develop plans to migrate to Fusion ERP," Ellison said.
Oracle's cloud ERP business is growing faster than 30 percent. But with SAP customers recognizing Oracle provides a "safe and compelling alternative to SAP old technology," Oracle can blow well past that growth rate.
"SAP's customer base is up for grabs," he said.
As to its longest-standing business, Ellison said, "we expect to hold onto our database franchise in a big way." Oracle is dominant on-premises and has "very strong" database share in the cloud.
But with the ramping adoption of its autonomous service, Oracle expects to win "overwhelming market share" on-premises and in the cloud, he said.
The database in which "robots configure the system" to minimize human errors is gaining traction faster than any product Oracle's executive can remember, Ellison said.
"It's on its way to being the most-successful new product introduction in our company's history," he said.
Building on a small base, Autonomous Database revenue has grown faster than 200 percent, he said. But it's hard to offer growth predictions to investors as Oracle only has four quarters of data points since the product hit market.
Early adopters now number in the thousands, Ellison said, and sales should ramp significantly over the coming months as Oracle rolls out the self-configuring database in a Cloud@Customer optiona deployment model through which the service is installed on an Exadata machine behind the customer's firewall.
Ellison envisions the Autonomous Database, deployed either in Oracle's cloud or in the on-premises variety, "will replace everything else" and eventually consume its entire install base.
It takes a while to ship next-gen products, he said, but "none of us have ever seen an adoption rate like this before."
Ellison said the only other product he can compare to Autonomous Database is the original Oracle commercial relational database that launched the entire business.
Ellison also took his shots at Amazon Web Services, saying Oracle's databases are "ten times faster than anything Amazon has."
"That means were much cheaper than anything Amazon has. Much safer, much easier to use," he added.
And Oracle's on-prem solutions are readily available, compared to all its competitors who "are trying to create these outposts," he said, seeming alluding to the AWS Outposts service that the cloud giant just started rolling out.
To provide the infrastructure on which it will scale those services, Oracle is building out facilities hosting its Gen2 cloud at a rapid clip. The company will have achieved a notable competitive milestone within one year, Ellison promised.
By the end of 2020, "I'll be able to say we have more Gen2 datacenters in more countries than Amazon has datacenters period."
While Oracle beat FactSet analyst expectations by one cent in posting 90 cents earnings-per-share in non-GAAP metrics, it fell short on revenue predictions.
That led the stock to fall after-hours from a Thursday close of $56.47 to $55.05 at the time of this publication.
Catz started the earnings call by thanking everyone who expressed condolences when Hurd died.
"They mean a lot to us," said the Oracle CEO.
When asked about finding another co-CEO, she deferred to Ellison, who quickly shot down the idea.
Ellison noted that people thought it was odd when the company first decided to go with two CEOs in 2014 after he stepped down from the position. Now they think it's odd to just have one.
But the decision to split the top job a few years ago was the result of an usually good working relationship between Hurd and Catz.
Oracle will continue to expand its management team, Ellison said, "but one of the strategies is to not hire a second CEO.
The search for another leader will be put on hold until "both Safra and I retire," he said, "which is not any time soon."
- Two new higher education institutions select OnBase hosted in the Hyland Cloud - PRNewswire - February 27th, 2020
- Cloud Hosting Service Market Types and Applications Outlook, Industry Drivers, Ongoing Trends, Future Demand, Challenges, Top Companies & Forecast... - February 27th, 2020
- Alibaba to give out free cloud to help businesses affected by Coronavirus - Data Economy - February 27th, 2020
- Arizona Health Information Exchange Launches NextGen Healthcare Health Data Hub to Improve the Physician Experience and Enhance Patient Care - Yahoo... - February 27th, 2020
- Financial organisations leading the way for hybrid cloud, Nutanix finds - DataCentreNews Europe - February 27th, 2020
- LINX Cardiff Becomes LINX Wales as Regional Internet Exchange Welcome NGD to the Network - RealWire - February 27th, 2020
- ServerCentral Turing Group and Digital Realty Expand Partnership for Hybrid Cloud Solutions - HostReview.com - February 27th, 2020
- How CPAs Can Have a Stronger IT Infrastructure - Accountingweb.com - February 22nd, 2020
- Cohere Cyber Secure announces Fully Integrated "Cyber-Managed Security as a Service" Targeting High-Demand Enterprises in Healthcare and... - February 22nd, 2020
- Software Asset Management Market 2020 Analysis, End Users, Business Growth, Top Key Players and Forecast to 2025 - News Times - February 22nd, 2020
- Cloud Hosting Service Market Insights with Statistics and Growth Prediction 2020 to 2026 - Instant Tech News - February 21st, 2020
- Will VMware's New Fees Trigger Rush to the Cloud? - Toolbox - February 21st, 2020
- Infoblox Core DDI and Cloud Platform appliance products are now certified as Nutanix Ready - Help Net Security - February 21st, 2020
- HMRC chief gives thumbs up to five-year cloud migration programme - PublicTechnology - February 21st, 2020
- How can government manage the growing digital market choice? - The Mandarin - February 21st, 2020
- The long read: 20 years in ITS - Highways Magazine - February 21st, 2020
- ResellerClub Turns 14, Celebrates With Big Birthday Bash Sale on Web Hosting and Servers - Yahoo Finance - February 18th, 2020
- Will Gaia-X deliver the independent cloud network Europe needs? - Techerati - February 18th, 2020
- 6 reasons why the cloud is great for your business - Techaeris - February 18th, 2020
- When Robotic Process Automation (RPA) bots break: 3 things to know - The Enterprisers Project - February 18th, 2020
- Right Networks Partners with Fintainium to Streamline Cloud-Based Accounting Services - JSA - February 18th, 2020
- STG Announces Partnership with Infosys Finacle to Bring Powerful Cloud Native Banking Platform to US Community Banks - PR Web - February 18th, 2020
- The Best Cloud Web Hosting Services for 2020 | PCMag - February 17th, 2020
- Mahomes Tech Interview Why Has This Web Hosting Company Become A Leader - Instant Tech News - February 17th, 2020
- Data Center Outsourcing and Hybrid Infrastructure Managed Services Market To Wi - News by aeresearch - February 17th, 2020
- Business Process as a Service Market Is Thriving Worldwide with CA technologies, Dell, International Business Machines - Nyse Nasdaq Live - February 17th, 2020
- Take care of ERP data security when moving to the cloud - TechTarget - February 17th, 2020
- Dish gets its day in the sun, becomes No. 4 US wireless carrier - FierceWireless - February 17th, 2020
- Three-year-old partner Solution Tech buys thirty-year-old partner Modern Computer System - CRN Australia - February 17th, 2020
- Cloud Hosting Service Providers Market investigated in the latest research - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - February 13th, 2020
- Mastering the complexity of multi-cloud in 2020 - Intelligent CIO ME - February 13th, 2020
- Weather Source uses Snowflake to keep ahead of extreme weather - ComputerWeekly.com - February 13th, 2020
- Video Hosting Software Market Investigation Highlights Growth Trends in the Coming Years: Wistia, Vimeo, BombBomb - Nyse Nasdaq Live - February 13th, 2020
- Innovative Report on Cloud-based Database Market with Competitive Analysis, New Business Developments and Top Companies: Amazon Web Services, Google,... - February 13th, 2020
- One.com buys its second Nordics web hosting firm in months - Data Economy - February 13th, 2020
- alwaysAI now open to meet growing demand from computer vision developers - PR Web - February 13th, 2020
- Matic nodes now available for deployment on the Ankr cloud - CryptoNinjas - February 10th, 2020
- The National Archives is looking for some more cloud - FedScoop - February 10th, 2020
- UKCloud survey reveals why public sector organisations are turning to multi-cloud - Intelligent CIO Africa - February 10th, 2020
- Build your own cloud infrastructure with Nextcloud and Collabora - IT PRO - February 10th, 2020
- Web hosting firms to take down unsavoury content without court orders - Law Society of Ireland Gazette - February 10th, 2020
- The Top 7 Google Cloud Books You Need to Read in 2020 - Solutions Review - February 8th, 2020
- Teresa Carlson, AWS Worldwide Public Sector VP, Named to 2020 Wash100 for Cloud Innovation, Business Expansion and New Educational Platforms -... - February 8th, 2020
- 7 online courses that will help you improve your technical skills - Ladders - February 8th, 2020
- Cloud Technology Solutions CEO on keeping pace with Google Clouds growth - NS Tech - February 8th, 2020
- Anurag Goel on Cloud Native Platforms, Developer Experience, and Scaling Kubernetes - InfoQ.com - February 8th, 2020
- Goodbye Google: Is it possible to live online without Google? - Stuff Magazines - February 8th, 2020
- 5 Companies That Came To Win This Week - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - February 8th, 2020
- Azubuike named Kareem Abdul-Jabaar Center of the Year Award finalist - Salina Post - February 8th, 2020
- WIPL enters into partnership with Plesk to offer fully integrated cloud hosting services in India - Web Hosting | Cloud Computing | Datacenter |... - February 6th, 2020
- What Type of Server Provides the Highest ROI? - Techiexpert.com - TechiExpert.com - February 6th, 2020
- Health Care Cloud and Hosting Market likely to touch new heights by end of fore - News by aeresearch - February 6th, 2020
- Health Care Cloud And Hosting Market 2020 Industry Trends, Opportunities and Forecast to 2026 - Instant Tech News - February 6th, 2020
- The 20 Coolest Cloud Infrastructure Companies Of The 2020 Cloud 100 - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - February 6th, 2020
- Five benefits of colocation: Why it should be part of your hybrid cloud strategy - Intelligent CIO ME - February 6th, 2020
- What Are the Benefits of Using Cloud Hosting Over Traditional One? - India West - January 30th, 2020
- IT Solutions & Services Provider Technologent Partners with Armor to Bring Cloud Security and Compliance Solutions to its Customers - Yahoo... - January 30th, 2020
- Hotel Operations in The Cloud: What Are Your Options? - Hospitality Net - January 30th, 2020
- Five New Domain Extensions Coming from XYZ in 2020 - Web Hosting | Cloud Computing | Datacenter | Domain News - Daily Host News - January 30th, 2020
- Hit Rail awarded hosting and operation of ProRail Common Interface - Global Railway Review - January 30th, 2020
- 4 contact center trends that drive customer experience - TechTarget - January 30th, 2020
- Improving Information Security with ISO 27001 - IDM.net.au - January 30th, 2020
- The 3 fundamentals of hybrid cloud architecture management - TechTarget - January 30th, 2020
- Data Protection Day: Why protection is better than a cure - Verdict - January 30th, 2020
- 2020 vision: edtech in 2020 with Ashley Cartwright - Education Technology - January 30th, 2020
- Cybersecurity in 2020: The rise of the CISO - MIT Technology Review - January 30th, 2020
- 'Financing the Future' with Barry Gross, Partner at BCLP Law - Finvest Summit Special - Data Economy - January 30th, 2020
- Ways In Which Cloud Hosting Affects SEO Services And Results - HostReview.com - January 13th, 2020
- Home Office reinforces commitment to AWS with 100m cloud hosting deal - ComputerWeekly.com - January 13th, 2020
- WSL 2: Where is it, and where is it going? - TechRepublic - January 13th, 2020
- The biggest govtech deals of the week (13/01/20) - NS Tech - January 13th, 2020
- Lost in Migration? Attributing carbon when outsourcing to cloud - Data Economy - January 13th, 2020
- UKCloud announces new discounts to help organisations thrive and build an increasingly independent national capability - RealWire - January 13th, 2020
- How Cloud Computing is Driving the Industrial Revolution 4.0 - Elets - January 13th, 2020
- Informatica expands its leadership team and appoints Amit Walia as CEO - Data Economy - January 8th, 2020
- Enhancing Hyperscale Cloud Growth at the infra // STRUCTURE Summit - Yahoo Finance - January 8th, 2020
- Green House Data Adds Digital Transformation Expert Victor Tingler to Executive Team to Lead Enterprise Consulting Services - Yahoo Finance - January 8th, 2020
- Five Things To Do in St. Cloud, Jan. 13-17 - SC Times - January 8th, 2020
- FASB cloud computing cost standard to soon take effect - Compliance Week - January 3rd, 2020
- Amazon, Google, Microsoft: Who had the best year in cloud in 2019? - The Register - January 3rd, 2020