JAXenter: Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions. First of all, can you tell us more about wasmCloud? What are its use cases?
Liam Randall and Stuart Harris: wasmcloud is a higher level abstraction for the cloud that uses WebAssembly to run everywhere securely. Virtual machines abstract away from specific hardware, containers abstract away from a Linux environment, and wasmCloud abstracts away from the specific capabilities you use to build an application. wasmCloud continues the trend of increasing abstractions for building and deploying software in the cloud. Kubernetes lets an organization run their containers in any cloud environment, and wasmCloud lets a developer run their business logic on any capabilities, in any cloud or edge environment.
JAXenter: Whats new in the 0.50 release?
Liam Randall and Stuart Harris: The 0.50 release of wasmCloud incorporates major customer community-driven improvements around the scale of use, developer experience, and support for deploying and executing actors in the browser.
wasmCloud 0.50 incorporates major customer community-driven improvements, including a stronger, faster, more scalable foundation using proven Elixir/OTP technologies; further enhancements to wasmClouds boiler-plate free developer experience; and introduces support for deploying and executing actors in the browser. Establishing support for over 3 billion Google Chrome, Apple Safari, and Mozilla Firefox browsers as a deployment target for wasmClouds portable actors brings the project closer to delivering a universal computing substrate where actors can be deployed anywhere, including at the far edge in IoT devices too small for Linux or K3s.
SEE ALSO: What Pitfalls To Avoid In Digital Product Development
JAXenter: What is the Hybrid Elixir/Rust Foundation? What does this add to wasmCloud?
Liam Randall and Stuart Harris: wasmClouds adoption on Elixir / OTP on the backend was driven requirement to operate wasmCloud at a scale of hundreds of thousands or millions of interconnected wasmCloud hosts. As early adopters of wasmCloud have started to look at larger scale deployments our community evaluated a variety of approaches Elixir/OTP has a proven track record in hyper-scale apps like Discord and WhatsApp. This best of breed approach brings a mature and resilient backend to wasmCloud.
JAXenter: What are the benefits of using WebAssembly?
Liam Randall and Stuart Harris: WebAssembly is the most portable executable format weve ever had binaries can run on any machine architecture because it models a conceptual stack-based virtual machine with linear memory. This portability is crucial for enabling workloads to run on any host, in any cloud or edge location. Because WASM is simple and un-opinionated, many of todays languages can treat it as a compile target, making it ideal for modern cloud native distributed applications. Additionally, its deny-by-default security model makes it a great choice for server-side scenarios, not just for the browser!
JAXenter: Can you tell us anything about the future of wasmCloud? Whats on the roadmap for the future?
Liam Randall and Stuart Harris: wasmCloud is continuing to grow by leaps in bounds both in capabilities, use case, and in diversity of customers. On our technical roadmap, in October we will release full integration with Kubernetes in the combination of our Lattice Controller and a Kubernetes Operator. We will also continue to build out support for additional capability providers for the commonly used cloud components such as a variety of database adapters. In the medium term, we will add support for more advanced use cases, such as distributed machine learning and a more automated developer experience.
SEE ALSO: Why you should consider WebAssembly in your next frontend project
JAXenter: Besides wasmCloud, what are some of your favorite open source projects?
Liam Randall and Stuart Harris: The entire wasmCloud team and project is built with best-of-breed open source projects, including Nats, Elixir/OTP and the Smithy project from AWS. Nats, from Synadia, has emerged as the internets dialtone and in wasmCloud we use this to seamlessly connect wasmCloud hosts at the application layer. Elixir/OTP has over the last 20 years become the default way to scale to millions of processes and we adopted it on our backend in order to offer that incredible approach to our community. And while Smithy is a new project, it has been used successfully within AWS to model and design hundreds of APIs.
From a consumers perspective, according to Red Badger: As a consultancy that helps large organizations with their digital product transformation, we have many clients who need a true multi-cloud platform possibly better expressed as location transparency for their workloads. For many years, the cloud has been seen as the destination, but wasmCloud allows us to rethink the cloud as just a stop on the way, a utility on top of which we can build a homogenous surface for hosting truly portable workloads. Our clients can finally contribute resources from many clouds, on-premise data centers, near and far edge even browser tabs to a single, potentially global, platform that is secure, whilst being totally agnostic of underlying network topology. Not only does this give us flexibility, and way more reliability, but it dramatically simplifies the dark art of building modern distributed applications, allowing us to concentrate on what really matters generating value for our clients.
Read more news about wasmCloud releases:
Cosmonic Announces 0.50 Release of wasmCloud Building a Stronger Foundation for Universally Portable, Secure-by-Default Distributed Applications
wasmCloud Joins Cloud Native Computing Foundation as Sandbox Project
Read the original post:
"wasmCloud allows us to rethink the cloud as just a stop on the way" - JAXenter
- Rebranded Ransomware Group Sabbath Hitting Hospitals and Schools - JD Supra - December 3rd, 2021
- This 10TB cloud storage is cheaper than buying a Starbucks but it ends today - TechRadar - December 3rd, 2021
- Crypto Promoter Charged With Scamming Investors Out of Millions | Chief Investment Officer - Chief Investment Officer - December 3rd, 2021
- Coevolve announces important new hires and expansion in the European market - EnterpriseTalk - December 3rd, 2021
- Top trends in tech transformation - Lexology - December 3rd, 2021
- Verint Announces Strong Third Quarter Results, Raises Guidance and Three-Year Targets - marketscreener.com - December 3rd, 2021
- Network monitoring makes the cloud Connection | Daily News - IBC365 - December 2nd, 2021
- Let's Talk About IT Ep. 23 The Transformation of the DOD in the Cloud - FedScoop - December 2nd, 2021
- Key features of the newly launched Virto Commerce Cloud - AppleMagazine - December 2nd, 2021
- Cloudbazaar 2021 Brings Together Internet Leaders To Discuss The Future Of E-commerce - Yahoo Finance - December 2nd, 2021
- gotomyerp Co-founder And CEO, Robert Eppele, Has Been Named One of the 10 Best Inspiring Leaders of the Year 2021 by CIO Bulletin - PR Web - December 2nd, 2021
- Brighton and Hove News Brighton tech business wins national award - Brighton and Hove News - December 2nd, 2021
- Qatar among the biggest adopters of cloud in region - The Peninsula - December 2nd, 2021
- Lost SEO traffic in 2021? Here are 3 potential reasons why (and how to recover your rankings heading into 2022) - Search Engine Land - December 2nd, 2021
- $3.98 for 10TB online is what the best Cyber Monday cloud storage costs and it's exclusive to TechRadar - TechRadar - December 2nd, 2021
- Explore cloud-native vs. cloud-based vs. cloud-enabled apps - TechTarget - November 28th, 2021
- Clevelands vision for Blockland has stalled. Could Northeast Ohio still be a hub for blockchain? - cleveland.com - November 28th, 2021
- gotomyerp Has Been Listed As One Of The Top 50 Best Companies Of 2021 By The CEO Views - Longview News-Journal - November 28th, 2021
- Lumberjacks honor McPhail with jersey retirement - and 15th-straight win - St. Cloud Times - November 28th, 2021
- Accenture to Drive Organon's ERP Transformation with SAP on AWS - Inside SAP Magazine - November 28th, 2021
- FlashDrive Automates The Process Of Hosting Apps for Businesses in A Revolutionary Way - Yahoo Finance - November 24th, 2021
- The cloud complexity storm & changing organizational dynamics of IT Highlights from VotE: Cloud, Hosting & Managed Services - S&P Global - November 24th, 2021
- Adobe : How to send documents and information with enhanced security - marketscreener.com - November 24th, 2021
- Axtria to Lead Several Events on the Future of Digital Transformation, Product Design, and Product Leadership Opportunities for Women at NASSCOM... - November 24th, 2021
- HEALTHCARE TRIANGLE, INC. Management's discussion and analysis of financial condition and results of operations. (form 10-Q) - marketscreener.com - November 24th, 2021
- Great Tips For Web Optimization That Can Also Help In Mobile Application Development - WhaTech - WhaTech - November 24th, 2021
- Udacity to host international STEM Forward with Women conference featuring industry leaders from Microsoft, Saudi Telecom, HSBC, Sky, KPMG & more... - November 24th, 2021
- How to Preserve and Share Grandma's Recipes - WIRED - November 24th, 2021
- Google Cloud partially fixes load balancer SNAFU that hit Discord, Spotify, others today - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- TI will splash out up to $30B on wafer fabs - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- Intel audio drivers give Windows 11 the blues and Microsoft Installer borked following security update - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- Ubuntu desktop team teases 'proof of concept' systemd on Windows Subsystem for Linux - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- Netlify acquires OneGraph: One API to rule them all? - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- Boffins find way to use a standard smartphone to find hidden spy cams - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- Thousands of Firefox users accidentally commit login cookies on GitHub - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- America, when you're done hitting us with the ban hammer, see these on-prem Zoom vulns, says Positive - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- VMware pulls vSphere update that only made things worse - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- Everything but the catch: '90s pop act or a successful mission for Rocket Lab? - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- Ready, player anyone? China's gaming ban left cloud providers looking for someone to play with - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- Riverbed Technologies files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection following pandemic 'headwinds' - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- AWS adds Linux app streaming alongside Windows to 'greatly lower' cost - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- Korea gives Google and Apple another kick for requiring their own payment systems - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- Citrix initiates 'Restructuring Program' jobs and facilities to go - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- MediaTek's flagship 5G chip for top-of-the-line Android smartphones is coming right up - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- Is mass cloud adoption going to last forever, or is it just a phase? - ITProPortal - November 20th, 2021
- 'We are not people to Mark Zuckerberg, we are the product' rages Ohio's Attorney General in Facebook lawsuit - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- The Rust Foundation gets ready to Rumbul (we're sure new CEO has never, ever heard that joke before) - The Register - November 20th, 2021
- Sage Sessions X3 kicks off in Orlando with focus on empowering customers and partners to thrive - Yahoo Finance - November 15th, 2021
- Telenor taps Google Clouds AI and analytics expertise to target a bigger slice of the digital transformation market - TelecomTV - November 15th, 2021
- New Apprenticeship Hosting Webinar As Part of National Apprenticeship Week To Help Address Tech Talent Gap - Yahoo Finance - November 15th, 2021
- Cybersecurity and OWASP in an Increasingly Digital World - tripwire.com - November 15th, 2021
- Successful CEO Guru Releases New Spin on Business Leadership and Audios of His Entrepreneur How-To Guide and Savvy Disruptive Tech Prediction Books -... - November 15th, 2021
- Domopalooza Returns to Salt Lake City Focusing on Future of Business and Data - Business Wire - November 15th, 2021
- During this pre-Black Friday sale, get an additional 15% off domain names and lifetime web hosting deals - ZDNet - November 8th, 2021
- Valeo Networks Acquires On Time Tech, Further Accelerating National Growth Strategy - PRNewswire - November 8th, 2021
- Huobi is migrating its spot trading business from Seychelles to Gibraltar - The Block Crypto - November 8th, 2021
- Outlook on the Cloud Hosting Service Market to 2026 by Application, End-user and Geography - Northwest Diamond Notes - November 8th, 2021
- Overview of the Different Types of Web Hosting - E/The Environmental Magazine - November 8th, 2021
- Microsoft bags major win over Amazon in cloud battle - TechRadar - November 8th, 2021
- 6 web hosting and domain deals on sale - Mashable - November 8th, 2021
- Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting Market to Witness Rapid Growth by 2028 | Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft, Tata Communications The Host - The Host - November 8th, 2021
- QuestDB snares $12M Series A with hosted version coming soon - TechCrunch - November 8th, 2021
- Using Open-Source Intelligence for Mergers and Acquisitions - Security Intelligence - November 8th, 2021
- Huawei might have to sell its server division following US sanctions - TechRadar - November 8th, 2021
- Bitdeer Group Showcases Diversity With New Filecoin Mining Option Press release Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - November 8th, 2021
- Forget Windows 11 hardware requirements, Windows 365 is here to save the day - TechRadar - November 8th, 2021
- Teledata and Sudlows win New Design/Build Data Centre Project of the Year at Prestigious DCS Awards - Business Manchester - November 8th, 2021
- Linda Visnick: Observing the Business World with an Innovative Eye - Analytics Insight - November 8th, 2021
- Southeast Asia Web Hosting Services Market 2021 Size Strong Revenue and Competitive Outlook : Amazon Web Services, AT & T, Google, GoDaddy,... - November 8th, 2021
- Cloud computing in the public sector: a distant dream or the near future? - ComputerWeekly.com - November 1st, 2021
- NSA, CISA Weigh in on Shared Responsibility for Cloud Security in the 5G Era - Nextgov - November 1st, 2021
- Why should organizations look towards the power of hybrid cloud? - ITProPortal - November 1st, 2021
- How To Choose The Best Website Hosting Platform 2021? Film Daily - Film Daily - November 1st, 2021
- Firstsource Selects NICE WFM Cloud to Unlock the Power of Digital Transformation - Business Wire - November 1st, 2021
- Bare Metal Cloud Service Market Overview and Forecast Report 2021-2026 | Amazon Web Services, Bigstep, Dell Technologies, IBM, CenturyLink, Oracle,... - November 1st, 2021
- The Rise of BGP Hijacking and Why You Need a Response Plan Immediately - Entrepreneur - November 1st, 2021
- Debunking SASE myths: How it has helped productivity - TechRadar - November 1st, 2021
- COVIDSafe total cost was AU$9.2 million to October 4 with AU$2.8 million on hosting - ZDNet - November 1st, 2021
- IT Infrastructure Services Market Is Booming Worldwide | HCL, IBM, Verizon Communications Inc., Accenture, HPE and more The Host - The Host - November 1st, 2021
- Russian cyber spies target CSPs and resellers to abuse delegated access - Reseller News - November 1st, 2021