Consumer sector players are increasingly eager to part with assets seen as non-core in a market that rewards specialization, says Kearney partner Bahige El-Rayes. Deep is the new wide, El-Rayes says. It used to be about diversified products, now its about consistency, agility. In many cases consumer [companies] realized they dont need everything they have.
That realization is widely felt. Three quarters of sector executives at the top 20 consumer companies surveyed by global strategy and management consulting firm Kearney said that they could carry out a major divestiture. The rationale? Strategic restructuring to strengthen balance sheets and enable growth.
The novelty in the survey data, released today, is in the type of growth corporates seek on the back of disposals. Rather than deploying capital in megadeals that fundamentally reorient strategy, executives tell Kearney that they want to pursue small, discrete acquisitions that give them exposure to a market without weighing in as a potential drag on the balance sheet should markets shift.
The word is defined optionality, El-Rayes explains. Companies are increasingly like venture capitalists; they need to be more agile and less certain in terms of trends and capability.
To capture upside to an emerging technology, for instance, executives are now thinking, There are a ton of technologies. I want to be positioned but dont want a billion dollar investment. I want a footprint but not too much where Ill be exposed in a few years.
Grocery shoppers are clamoring for personalized nutrition and shopping options that improve gut health, but how companies position themselves for a possibly transient shift in preferences is less clear.
Health and food are coming together, and its not certain if its a fad or not, El-Rayes frames the scenario. Is that something that consumer packaged goods companies have a role to play in, or are they the big evil? Who is the culprit for the processed sugar? Where are the growth opportunities? Should packaged goods companies double down on that?
Rather than seeking a transformational merger of equals, corporates could play the possible outcomes by acquiring a small health food company. The parent can drive reverse integration such that the values and positioning of the fresh-focused target permeate the wholeco, driving organizational change without the price tag and legacy assets of a larger deal.
Mondelezs 2019 acquisition of a majority stake in Perfect Snack owner Perfect Brands is a zeitgeist transaction: the maker of Oreos and Cadbury eggs acquired organic, non-GMO clean snacks in the deal. Meanwhile, Cargill invested $75 million in textured vegetable protein maker Puris to bring its total investment to $100 million the same year.
This preference for option value is evident in trending valuations. Deal multiples for small and midsize deals are increasing relative to large deals, which have cumulatively fallen 34 percent since 2018. When asked what sized targets they plan to acquire, approximately 60 percent of respondents pointed to $500 million targets and below.
While divestitures are top of mind in consumer sector boardrooms across the globe, so are the depths of redeployment. Kearney, working with Dealogic data, projects consumer M&A to rebound off 2020 lows should first quarter transaction rates continue apace.
El-Rayes is co-author of the report Forged in Crisis, Poised to Innovate, and leads the UK and Ireland consumer practice of Kearney.
- AI use cases are expanding and evolving in healthcare - Tech Wire Asia - August 1st, 2021
- DeepMind releases massive database of 3D protein structures - STAT - STAT - July 25th, 2021
- DeepMinds AI uncovers structure of 98.5 per cent of human proteins - News Nation USA - July 25th, 2021
- Good Morning, News: $600000 Settlement for 2017 PPB Killing, Deep Pockets Try Influencing MultCo DA, and Everything is GREAT at the Olympics! - The... - July 25th, 2021
- DeepMind open-sources AlphaFold 2 for protein structure predictions - VentureBeat - July 21st, 2021
- DeepMind's AlphaFold 2 reveal: Convolutions are out, attention is in - ZDNet - July 21st, 2021
- AI in Healthcare Market Growing Trade Among Emerging Economies Opening New Opportunities (2021-2031) | Nuance Communications, Inc., DeepMind... - July 21st, 2021
- Self-driving data centres: Managing the transition from human-to-AI workload management - IT Brief Australia - July 21st, 2021
- The scene is set | Royal St George's | The 149th Open - The Open - July 14th, 2021
- Tech Companies Leading the Cognitive Computing Race in 2021 - Analytics Insight - July 14th, 2021
- Science fiction: From hero's tales to deep thoughts - The Daily Advance - July 14th, 2021
- ADOT urges drivers to be prepared for monsoon weather dangers | Arizona Emergency information Network - az.gov - July 14th, 2021
- Taking the long view, taking control - Cape Cod Times - July 14th, 2021
- The ultimate reading list if you love to delve into the mind - Livemint - July 14th, 2021
- Midland Theatre executive director Anderson to retire Sept. 1 - The Newark Advocate - July 14th, 2021
- The Future of Deep Learning | - Analytics Insight - July 10th, 2021
- The movie you should watch this weekend: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, the heart wants what it wants - The Indian Express - July 10th, 2021
- From the Extension: Keep health and safety in mind when firing up the grill - Daily Commercial - July 10th, 2021
- Follow your fever dreams with Nashville Hot Hot Dogs - The Takeout - July 10th, 2021
- Former Bureaucrats, Civil Society Express Deep Anguish On Violations and Breakdown of Governance in UP - The Citizen - July 10th, 2021
- The 36 questions that lead to love (but with your co-founder) - TechCrunch - July 10th, 2021
- Googles Supermodel: DeepMind Perceiver is a step on the road to an AI machine that could process anything... - ZDNet - July 8th, 2021
- At the ICA Watershed, artist Firelei Bez draws history from the deep - The Boston Globe - July 8th, 2021
- The Streaming Age Has Turned Poland Into a Deep-Pocketed Production Paradise - Hollywood Reporter - July 8th, 2021
- What Toxic Positivity Actually Is (& Why You Should Avoid It) - mindbodygreen.com - July 8th, 2021
- UCF Lake Nona Scientific Heart Is The First Sanatorium In Central Florida To Be offering Incisionless Mind Surgical treatment As An Complex Remedy For... - July 8th, 2021
- Young Cho's goals are even bigger than deep space; His team is working on astronaut nutrition that translates to earth - Westside Seattle - July 8th, 2021
- Two books to make you think differently about the ocean and the beach - Christian Science Monitor - July 8th, 2021
- Jimmy McGovern: Even the psychopaths are a deep, horrible part of me - Sydney Morning Herald - July 8th, 2021
- 'I took a deep breath and got on with it' - Jorginho on his ice-cold winning penalty and Italy's belief | Official Site | Chelsea Football Club -... - July 8th, 2021
- Tour de France: Geraint Thomas to ride on through pain with Olympics in mind - The Guardian - July 8th, 2021
- Poetry Amid Parkinsons - The Wall Street Journal - July 8th, 2021
- Quinlan-Hammond Hall of Honor Taking Shape on USM Campus - Southern Miss Now - July 8th, 2021
- Lynn Hershman Leeson: The Artist Is Prescient - The New York Times - July 8th, 2021
- The Great Artist: A film that explores the brilliance of a suffering mind - The Indian Express - July 8th, 2021
- 10 UK retreats to re-energise mind, body and soul - The Guardian - June 27th, 2021
- Keep safety in mind when cooling off in the Willamette River - KGW.com - June 27th, 2021
- Matters of the Mind: Recruiting the body mind and soul for relief from emotional tumult - The Indian Express - June 27th, 2021
- 'You weep and then you try to determine how to help': Families, worshippers cling to hope after Florida condo building collapse - USA TODAY - June 27th, 2021
- Danielle Lao Gets Back to Wimbledon, and Makes the Most of It - The New York Times - June 27th, 2021
- Bernie Rabik: Is Age Only a Number? - The Times - June 27th, 2021
- New sales platform brand In Mind Cloud to rapidly digitalize the manufacturing sector - PRNewswire - June 25th, 2021
- Ophthalmology: A pioneer in the field of artificial intelligence - Ophthalmology Times - June 25th, 2021
- A Deep Dive into the Scoring Metrics of the NTIA's Broadband Infrastructure Program - Benton Foundation - June 25th, 2021
- Don't mind the gap: 'Innovation cohesion' is new route to bridge east-west divide - Science Business - June 25th, 2021
- A menu for the mind: Angelus reading recommendations 2021 - Angelus News - June 25th, 2021
- Finding Relaxation: Your 5-Minute Read - Healthline - June 25th, 2021
- DeepMind wants to use its AI to cure neglected diseases - Wired.co.uk - June 23rd, 2021
- Shame in Medical Training, and Owning Our Stories - Medscape - June 23rd, 2021
- Are toxins flushed out of the brain during sleep? - Harvard Health - June 23rd, 2021
- Thinking Differently: The Most Important Thing You Need to do to Advance Your Company - insideARM.com - June 23rd, 2021
- Vegan pop-up Don't Be Chick'n launches a Bay Area food truck - The Oaklandside - June 23rd, 2021
- Boosting inspection performance with AI and deep learning - Packaging Europe - June 22nd, 2021
- Time for a Casual Deep Dive on Karl From The Bachelorette - Yahoo Lifestyle - June 22nd, 2021
- AI in Healthcare Market 2021 Best Workable Strategy That Will Help to Boost your industry Growth Till 2031 | DeepMind Technologies Limited, IBM... - June 22nd, 2021
- International Yoga Day 2021: The Benefits Of Deep Breathing And Meditation For Diabetics - NDTV - June 22nd, 2021
- International Yoga Day: Does yoga really help heal your body and mind? - Gulf News - June 22nd, 2021
- Public Lands Preserve More Than What's on the Surface - Sierra Magazine - June 22nd, 2021
- Does alcohol have a place in a healthy lifestyle? - Walla Walla Union-Bulletin - June 22nd, 2021
- Dannals, Fisher, and Kyung Receive 2021 Tuck Teaching Excellence Awards - Tuck School - June 22nd, 2021
- Emergency and survival items you need to put in your pack - Part 2 - goHUNT.com - June 19th, 2021
- Studying content moderation, disinformation, and deep fakes. Astroturfing, bias, and rumor control. - The CyberWire - June 19th, 2021
- From The Deep Sea, A Chance To Learn, Preserve on the Gulf Coast - Mississippi Free Press - June 19th, 2021
- India Inc can delve deep within and construct its own reality: Deepak Chopra to ETILC members - Economic Times - June 19th, 2021
- Investors say Eindhoven poised to become Netherlands No. 2 tech hub - TechCrunch - June 19th, 2021
- What should you read in the summer of 2021? Here are the best books. - Berkeleyside - June 19th, 2021
- Inside the elite UK tech event attended by the rich and famous - CNBC - June 19th, 2021
- Inside the fight to reclaim AI from Big Techs control - MIT Technology Review - June 19th, 2021
- International Yoga Day: 6 tips for de-stressing the overthinker in you - wknd. - June 19th, 2021
- Validation and clinical applicability of a deep learning system for retinal disease (Tuesday, 10th August 2021) City, University of London - City,... - June 16th, 2021
- Physical works out the dark side of the mind in an honest way - Metro US - June 16th, 2021
- The Number One Voice Certain To Drive Your Leadership Off The Deep End - Forbes - June 16th, 2021
- Bengio Team Proposes Flow Network-Based Generative Models That Learn a Stochastic Policy From a Sequence of Actions - Synced - June 16th, 2021
- It's more than just skin-deep: Feel and look amazing with Bubble Skincare | Sponsored - Harvard Crimson - June 16th, 2021
- AI in Healthcare Market Drivers, Challenges, Opportunities and Competitive Strategy Over 2021-2031 | Nuance Communications, Inc., DeepMind... - June 16th, 2021
- NVIDIA and the battle for the future of AI chips - Wired.co.uk - June 16th, 2021
- Accelerating Deep Learning on the JVM with Apache Spark and NVIDIA GPUs - InfoQ.com - June 16th, 2021
- AI in Europe: Who's leading the way and where is it heading? - Siliconrepublic.com - June 16th, 2021
- Review: Bo Burnhams Inside is a successful depiction of a lonely mind - Los Angeles Times - June 16th, 2021
- Alma Allens biomorphic sculptures have minds of their own - Wallpaper* - June 16th, 2021