Decoding the link between Artificial Neural Networks and Deep Learning Algorithms
The idea of creating intelligent systems has always fascinated data science professionals. The advent of computers and technology uplifts the notion that an algorithm that can learn from itself and adapt to changing model inputs. The art of self-learning algorithms helping data science with valuable information is an uncharted territory that AI-powered neural networks would like to explore more, courtesy the growing interest of professionals and technology experts alike.
To understand the complexities of Artificial Neural Networks (ANNs) lets first decode how our brain learns and relearns from different experiences. The human brain is made up of interconnected networks, these are called neurons. These neurons are responsible for processing different pieces of information. Lets understand through the concept of a hierarchy pyramid. Our brain is composed of different levels, and each level is responsible for decoding and understanding information from the surroundings.
As information passes on through layers from different levels arranged hierarchically, each layer of neurons understand, process, gather knowledgeable insight, and pass this information to the next layer in the hierarchy. Thus, ensuring the information which reaches on the pinnacle of the pyramid is intelligently accurate and without any bias.
Lets understand the Artificial Neural Network through food!
For example, when you get a whiff of something delicious cooking, for instance, a loaf of banana bread with chocolate chips baking your brain may process the information as I smell banana bread and chocolate chips, (thats your data input) I love banana bread with chocolate chips! (thought) Ill eat a lot of banana bread with chocolate chips (decision making) Oh, but they add to calories, I promised to go on a diet (memory) But, one slice wont hurt? (reasoning) I will have one slice for sure! (final course of action).
Now back to technology!
Likewise, ANNs seek to simulate information passing through layers of networks or interconnected brain cells, to let them learn and make decisions in a realistically human like manner. This is the layered approach to process information that ANNs strive to simulate. The human brain is complex and replicating it is a tough task, however, in its simplest form, an ANN can comprise of three layers of neurons-
1. The input layer (for data input)
2. The hidden layer (information processing layer)
3. The output layer (decision-making step).
A lot happens in the hidden layer, often called as the black box of ANN decision making point. The black box can add up to multiple hidden layers for the flow of information from one layer to another, just like what happens inside the human brain.
Deep learning seeks to understand what exactly happens within those hidden layers of the ANN. Representing the very cutting edge of Artificial Intelligence (AI), an algorithm trains itself to process and learn from data that is injected into the model in the input layer.
How is that possible? Thanks to the hidden layer of ANNs which is also called a deep neural network (DNNs), or in simple words deep learning. It is a self-teaching algorithm that filters information through multiple hidden layers same as a human mind does. Here are some interesting concepts and viewpoints of deep learning-
Goodfellow, Bengio and Courville explained that while shallow neural networks are trained to handle complex problems, deep learning networks add to accuracy as more neuron layers are added in the information hierarchy.
These additional layers can yield maximum accuracy till the 9th or 10th layer, after which a decline is observed in their predictive power.
At present, most ANNs and implementations deploy a maximum of 3-10 deep network neuron layers.
To make DNNs learn increasingly complex algorithms for accurate prediction, classification, several features run behind the black box, adding more layers to the hidden layer is one of them. More layers and more neurons do represent complex models with greater accuracy, but at the same time, data science experts must compute the cost and time aspect in model building.
The tech world is looking forward to achieve the perfect balance blending time, cost, model building and accuracy in predictions with deep neural networks, to solve the complex classification and prediction tasks in a jiffy.
Share This ArticleDo the sharing thingy
About AuthorMore info about author
Kamalika Some is an NCFM level 1 certified professional with previous professional stints at Axis Bank and ICICI Bank. An MBA (Finance) and PGP Analytics by Education, Kamalika is passionate to write about Analytics driving technological change.
- Yes, Mr Cummings, energy efficiency is boring if you have a one inch deep mind - The Fifth Estate - July 7th, 2020
- Breaking News - Documentary "Stockton on My Mind" Debuts July 28 on HBO - The Futon Critic - July 7th, 2020
- The Importance and the Consequences of Writing a Will - The Wire - July 7th, 2020
- Deep cultural shifts required: open letter from 500 legal women calls for reform of way judges are appointed and disciplined - UNSW Newsroom - July 7th, 2020
- Married to the Military: Dont neglect your mental health - The Fayetteville Observer - July 7th, 2020
- Suddenly, The Investment Market Comes Out Of The Deep Freeze - Bisnow - July 7th, 2020
- In Conversation: Thandie Newton - Vulture - July 7th, 2020
- Backstory: Emergency by Any Other Name Cuts as Deep - The Wire - July 4th, 2020
- FAMILY MATTERS: Open eyes and mind to teen's ascent to adulthood - Eagle-Tribune - July 4th, 2020
- Experts see 'deep trouble' for Trump overcoming plummet in the polls - Missoula Current - July 4th, 2020
- Love that stifles... - Deccan Herald - July 4th, 2020
- The long road back from COVID-19 - The Boston Globe - July 4th, 2020
- The Ripple: Healing Divisive Minds and Grieving Hearts - Aledo Times Record - July 2nd, 2020
- Deep sea coral garden found in the unlikeliest of places - Metro.co.uk - July 2nd, 2020
- Georgia on my mind - The Parliament Magazine - July 2nd, 2020
- COVID-19 and Teletherapy May Be Changing How Much You Know About Your Therapist - Michigan Medicine - July 2nd, 2020
- A conversation about racism opened my eyes The Foothills Focus - Foothills Focus - July 2nd, 2020
- Eric and Wendy Schmidt back Cambridge University effort to equip researchers with A.I. skills - CNBC - June 29th, 2020
- Change Our Mind: it is your civic duty to buy performance estates - Top Gear - June 29th, 2020
- Research: Artificial neural networks are more similar to the brain than we thought - TNW - June 29th, 2020
- Moving forward by turning to the past: Oregon Historical Quarterly takes a deep dive into Oregons white supremacist roots - KGW.com - June 29th, 2020
- Trump's scorched-earth handling of environment extends to oceans too - Las Vegas Sun - June 29th, 2020
- Is that really everything you have to give? | Yon - Tallahassee Democrat - June 29th, 2020
- Why Facebook chose to open its first European A.I. lab in Paris and not London - CNBC - June 23rd, 2020
- Deftones' 'White Pony': 10 Things We Learned From Chino Moreno - Revolver Magazine - June 23rd, 2020
- Stranger Things: David Harbour compares Hopper to Gandalf the White - lcbcradio.com - June 23rd, 2020
- #9 Ways How Meditation Can Strengthen Our Mind, Body, and Soul - Entrepreneur - June 23rd, 2020
- Which Type of Yoga Should You Try? - United News of Bangladesh - June 23rd, 2020
- If You Want to Change, Start from the Ground Up - SFGate - June 23rd, 2020
- The Ripple: Equality and Balance is an Inside Job - Newton Press Mentor - June 20th, 2020
- Matters of the mind: Impact of lockdown and Covid-19 on marriages - The Indian Express - June 20th, 2020
- Something to Muench on: In a word, priceless! - The Cross Timbers Gazette - June 20th, 2020
- What came to mind when I acted dead - Daily Trust - June 20th, 2020
- The race to develop AI chips heats up as Graphcore says it's shipped 'tens of thousands' - CNBC - June 9th, 2020
- Stay Home, Watch Horror: 5 Deep Space Horror Movies to Stream This Week - Bloody Disgusting - June 9th, 2020
- COVID-19 Pandemic Spurs Strong Demand for Cloud AI in Warehousing, Healthcare and Conversational AI - Olean Times Herald - June 9th, 2020
- Thanks To Renewables And Machine Learning, Google Now Forecasts The Wind - Forbes - June 2nd, 2020
- New York's state of mind: Part II -- Former TH reporter shares account of COVID-19 in Big Apple - telegraphherald.com - June 2nd, 2020
- Dalai Lama and UW expert share message of hope, determination, and education of the mind - University of Wisconsin-Madison - June 2nd, 2020
- The top ten Scottish bands ever (from the mind of Alan Partridge) Aidan Smith - The Scotsman - June 2nd, 2020
- 5 natural ways to boost your mental health during stressful times - wreg.com - June 2nd, 2020
- DeepMind's AI Can Predict the Progression of AMD Eye Condition - Analytics Insight - May 25th, 2020
- New AI from DeepMind and Google can detect a common cause of blindness - The Next Web - May 25th, 2020
- Best Deep Sleep Music To Calm Your Mind at Night - SheKnows - May 25th, 2020
- Crash mastered and all-time high in mind - Tradimo - May 25th, 2020
- 'This is my deep breath': New Jersey pro surfer returns to the water in Ventnor for the first time since coronavirus closed the beach - Press of... - May 25th, 2020
- Google wants to give 'superpowers' to clinicians. Today it's helping them find hotel rooms - FierceHealthcare - May 25th, 2020
- This free AI chatbot helps businesses fight COVID-19 misinformation - The Next Web - May 25th, 2020
- Orange Grove resident helps to heal your mind through sound - Rosebank Killarney Gazette - May 25th, 2020
- AI collaboration develops an 'early warning system' for AMD - AOP - May 25th, 2020
- Mind-Blowing Deep Cosmos Discovery: The Oldest Disk Galaxy From The Earliest Days Of The Universe - Dual Dove - May 25th, 2020
- Facebook's head of AI says Elon Musk 'has no idea what he is talking about' - Business Insider India - May 15th, 2020
- Elon Musk has a complex relationship with the A.I. community - CNBC - May 15th, 2020
- Mind the Digital Gap - World Coal - May 15th, 2020
- New "Mind the Gap" resource from IADSA focuses on threat to eye health from blue light - Nutritional Outlook - May 15th, 2020
- Lockdown really frees the mind to delve deep into thoughts of future - The National - May 15th, 2020
- 'Spring Rain' Is a Superb Graphic Memoir of the Vagaries of Mind and Memory - PopMatters - May 15th, 2020
- Henry Ford III is rising to top of dynasty in deep trouble - San Antonio Express-News - May 15th, 2020
- 6 Nutrition Tips to Help You Sleep Better and Run Faster - runnersworld.com - May 15th, 2020
- Plan2Explore adapts to exploration tasks without fine-tuning - VentureBeat - May 15th, 2020
- The Well Gardened Mind by Sue Stuart-Smith review unwinding with nature - The Guardian - May 6th, 2020
- Can the Modern Mind Find Peace Without Delusion? - On the elusiveness of gratitude and confidence in our times - Chabad.org - May 6th, 2020
- World Asthma Day 2020: Things asthma patients must keep in mind - The Indian Express - May 6th, 2020
- Deep-rooted canola holds on in the dry - Farm Weekly - May 6th, 2020
- Exploring the life and legacy of Selena, 25 years later - KHOU.com - May 6th, 2020
- Machine Learning Artificial intelligence Market 2020, Thrives the Growth at Impressive CAGR Over Forecast Period 2027 COVID-19 Impact on Global... - May 2nd, 2020
- Googles AI can adjust voice emotion, pitch, and speed with 30 minutes of data - VentureBeat - May 2nd, 2020
- The Original Pawleys Island Introduces the Comfort Collection Deep Seating Swing just in time for Mother's Day - PRNewswire - April 22nd, 2020
- 'Take Deep Breaths, Make Your Bed' Therapists Offer Tips for Maintaining Mental Health During the Coronavirus - Evanston RoundTable - April 22nd, 2020
- Putting AI to work against COVID-19 - PHG Foundation - April 22nd, 2020
- ''Like Free-Riding In Deep Snow - Inside The Mind Of A Red Bull Wingsuit Flyer - The Sportsman - April 12th, 2020
- How to meditate if you have never tried before - WHAS11.com - April 12th, 2020
- Apple, Google have teamed up to build system-level COVID-19 contact tracing, interoperable APIs for iOS, Android - MobiHealthNews - April 12th, 2020
- AUDIOBOOKS: Words, books and politics | - theberkshireedge.com - April 12th, 2020
- West Virginia peak now expected today, but Marsh says that doesn't mean back to normal right away - WV MetroNews - West Virginia MetroNews - April 12th, 2020
- DeepMinds AI models transition of glass from a liquid to a solid - VentureBeat - April 9th, 2020
- AI and the coronavirus fight: How artificial intelligence is taking on COVID-19 - ZDNet - April 9th, 2020
- Step away from the news and breathe - Waukon Standard - April 9th, 2020
- Companies are bracing for the toughest phase in business continuity: Karan Bajwa - Livemint - April 9th, 2020
- Applying Artificial Intelligence in the Fight Against The Coronavirus - HIT Consultant - April 1st, 2020