A monarch butterfly lays eggs on an orange butterfly weed, a native plant common to Central Texas. Although it is sometimes called orange milkweed, it does not produce a milky sap like milkweed. iStock image
The Texas Butterfly Ranch is more a state of mind than a place, although it is a location, both online and on the ground in Central Texas. No, there is no mailing address, at least not for snail mail, and you cannot drive up to a building or walk through an office door. To find it online, visit texasbutterflyranch.com.
To find the physical location, step outside anywhere around the Highland Lakes, San Antonio, and Austin in the spring or fall and look for the millions of butterflies migrating through the so-called Texas Funnel. Thats the Butterfly Ranch: the Central Texas Hill Country.
Central Texas serves as a funnel to several migration flyways that come in from the north. When the butterflies are heading south in the fall, they come from across the United States and Canada, heading for the heart of Texas on their way to Mexico. In the spring, they head back the same way.
Monarchs are the only butterfly to make a two-way migration, which is the norm for birds. They are able to overwinter as larvae, pupae, or even adults. They use environmental clues to know when its time to pack up and leave.
It can take up to five generations of butterflies to make the entire 3,000-mile trip when the insects are flying north for summer. The trip south in the fall is a different story.
The monarchs that head south to Mexico for the winter are known as a super generation. They can fly up to 50 miles a day, catching free rides on thermal air currents a mile above the Earths surface. These insects live eight times longer up to eight months than the generation that flew south before them. They can also travel 10 times farther.
The super generation store fat in their caterpillar and butterfly stages, waiting until spring to lay up to 700 eggs.
Both migrations are timed to optimal conditions so that milkweed is in season along the way on which to feed and lay eggs. Milkweed serves as a nursery for monarchs. They lay their eggs on the leaves, which the larvae then eat when they hatch.
The spring migration begins in Mexico with the super generation laying the eggs for Generation 1. When the first generation takes flight, it heads for Central Texas, which is the first stop on the trip north. This is where Generation 1 typically lays its own eggs and Generation 2 is born to continue the trip north.
Each year, the Texas Butterfly Ranch celebrates the bi-annual migration with a butterfly festival, which happens any and everywhere and supports conservation efforts to help stop the declining butterfly population. The virtual events are usually held in the fall.
The festival includes online shopping opportunities for native plants loved by butterflies and virtual workshops in tracking and identifying pollinators in your own environment.
The Texas Butterfly Ranch is located at texasbutterflyranch.com and in the hearts, minds, and backyards of nature lovers deep in the heart of Texas.
Find more articles like this in 101 News
Deep in the heart of the Texas Butterfly Ranch - The Picayune
- Validation and clinical applicability of a deep learning system for retinal disease (Tuesday, 10th August 2021) City, University of London - City,... - June 16th, 2021
- Physical works out the dark side of the mind in an honest way - Metro US - June 16th, 2021
- The Number One Voice Certain To Drive Your Leadership Off The Deep End - Forbes - June 16th, 2021
- Consumer Companies Bail on Non-Core Assets: "Deep is the New Wide" - Mergers & Acquisitions - June 16th, 2021
- Bengio Team Proposes Flow Network-Based Generative Models That Learn a Stochastic Policy From a Sequence of Actions - Synced - June 16th, 2021
- It's more than just skin-deep: Feel and look amazing with Bubble Skincare | Sponsored - Harvard Crimson - June 16th, 2021
- AI in Healthcare Market Drivers, Challenges, Opportunities and Competitive Strategy Over 2021-2031 | Nuance Communications, Inc., DeepMind... - June 16th, 2021
- NVIDIA and the battle for the future of AI chips - Wired.co.uk - June 16th, 2021
- Accelerating Deep Learning on the JVM with Apache Spark and NVIDIA GPUs - InfoQ.com - June 16th, 2021
- AI in Europe: Who's leading the way and where is it heading? - Siliconrepublic.com - June 16th, 2021
- Review: Bo Burnhams Inside is a successful depiction of a lonely mind - Los Angeles Times - June 16th, 2021
- Alma Allens biomorphic sculptures have minds of their own - Wallpaper* - June 16th, 2021
- AI In Healthcare Market Rapid Growth USD 120 Bn by 2028| IBM Corporation, NVIDIA Corporation, Nuance Communications, Microsoft, Intel Corporation,... - June 16th, 2021
- Microsoft & OneFlow Leverage the Efficient Coding Principle to Design Unsupervised DNN Structure-Learning That Outperforms Human-Designed... - June 4th, 2021
- Machine Learning Artificial intelligence Market Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends And Forecast To 2027 | AIBrain, Amazon, Anki,... - June 4th, 2021
- Mind the gap: why training is vital to pursuing transgender inclusion - TrainingZone.co.uk - June 4th, 2021
- Phaidra raises more cash from Mark Cuban and others to build the future of industrial automation - GeekWire - May 24th, 2021
- DeepMind reportedly lost a yearslong bid to win more independence from Google - The Verge - May 24th, 2021
- Aging With Honor and Dignity: An Intuitive Approach for Men - The Good Men Project - May 24th, 2021
- Damien Harris clearly wouldn't mind a trade that lands Julio Jones with Patriots - Patriots Wire - May 24th, 2021
- AI in Healthcare Market Rugged Expansion Foreseen by 2031 | Nuance Communications, Inc., DeepMind Technologies Limited, IBM Corporation The Courier -... - May 24th, 2021
- AI in Healthcare Market in deep Research about Growth & Competitive Analysis by 2021-2031 | Nuance Communications, Inc., DeepMind Technologies... - May 24th, 2021
- Dallas Comedy House Will Reopen With a New Name and Look - Eater Dallas - May 24th, 2021
- 3 Major Benefits of a Long-Term Insurance Carrier Relationship - Senior Housing News - May 24th, 2021
- IoT Cloud Company Tuya Smart Holds Meeting on Fast-tracked Connectivity and Innovation Amid COVID-19 Pandemic - Synced - May 24th, 2021
- DeepMind extends hunt for the worlds best A.I. researchers to Toronto - CNBC - May 10th, 2021
- ECO V2 by Pangeanic: Deep Adaptive Machine Translation Document Translator and Anonymization Solution - PRNewswire - May 10th, 2021
- Matters of the Mind: Compassion fatigue, vicarious trauma and hopelessness - The Indian Express - May 10th, 2021
- Prison education alums work with undergrads on theater piece | Cornell Chronicle - Cornell Chronicle - May 10th, 2021
- AI in Healthcare Market Insights, Deep Analysis of Key Vendor in the Industry 2021-2030 | Nuance Communications, Inc., DeepMind Technologies Limited,... - May 2nd, 2021
- Matisse & Sadko unveil the mind bending progressive tune 'Heal Me' - We Rave You - May 2nd, 2021
- The Deep-Sea Podcast review: The mind-boggling mysteries of the deep - New Scientist - May 1st, 2021
- Three Books: Zena Hitz *05 on a Life of the Mind - Princeton Alumni Weekly - May 1st, 2021
- Flavor 1st has Georgia on its mind | Produce News - TheProduceNews.com - May 1st, 2021
- Young attorney digs deep to make a genuine mark in the profession - Loop News Jamaica - May 1st, 2021
- Figures of Speech: 40 Ways to Improve your Writing - Visual Capitalist - May 1st, 2021
- Tony Bailie's Take on Nature: Bear in mind the simple principles of Leave No Trace - The Irish News - May 1st, 2021
- Food & Wine names 10 best pizza states in America and New York isnt in the top spot - KXAN.com - May 1st, 2021
- Essence Group Announces 'Peace of Mind' Strategy as Top Objective of All Future IoT Products and Services - PRNewswire - April 28th, 2021
- Centring of The Mind - Economic Times - April 28th, 2021
- PLU professors and students dive deep into the psychology of the pandemic - Pacific Lutheran University - April 28th, 2021
- Derby Undercard: Eclipse Winner Whitmore is a fan favorite in deep field of 13 for the Churchill Downs - Past The Wire - April 28th, 2021
- How Luxury Travel Is Leading the Recovery: A Skift Deep Dive - Skift - April 28th, 2021
- 'I recall it with deep despair': North Sea marks five years since Norway helicopter crash - News for the Oil and Gas Sector - Energy Voice - April 28th, 2021
- Single-Use Plastics Found at the Deepest Points of the Ocean - Technology Networks - April 28th, 2021
- Global Ai In Healthcare Market Top 10 Key players in 2021 |DeepMind Technologies Limited, IBM Corporation, Nuance Communications Inc, Microsoft,... - April 28th, 2021
- Has pharma missed the boat? - PharmaTimes - April 28th, 2021
- BlanQuil weighted blankets: Products and brand review - Medical News Today - April 28th, 2021
- A New Book Explores the Connections Between Music, Physics, and Neuroscience - Columbia University - April 28th, 2021
- Global Mindfulness Meditation Apps Market (2020) to Witness Huge Growth by 2026 | Deep Relax, Smiling Mind, Inner Explorer, Inc., Committee for... - April 19th, 2021
- Line of Duty, season 6 episode 5 recap: Davidson is in deep but who fired those cliffhanger shots? - The Telegraph - April 19th, 2021
- Calvin University Selects Noah Toly As Provost - News - Calvin News - April 19th, 2021
- I'm an insomniac who's tried everything from meds to sleep sprays. This meditation app is the only thing that' - Business Insider India - April 19th, 2021
- 'We've had this in mind for some time' - Gosden aims for another Blue Riband win - Racing Post - April 19th, 2021
- What two pieces of unrelated pop culture are forever connected in your mind? - The A.V. Club - April 19th, 2021
- Bringing China-US ties where they need to be - Chinadaily.com.cn - China Daily - April 8th, 2021
- Cultivating a Diverse and Inclusive Culture: Recruiting - ATD - ATD - ATD - April 8th, 2021
- The Mavericks Who Brought AI to the World - Review of Genius Makers by Cade Metz - Forbes - April 8th, 2021
- 'I can't unsee them': Rockland woman copes with trauma from Haiti earthquake by writing - Enterprise News - April 8th, 2021
- Q&A: How The Atlantic's Ed Yong navigated a year of deep coronavirus coverage - Poynter - April 8th, 2021
- Healthcare AI Market 2021 Is Rapidly Increasing Worldwide in Near Future | Top Companies Analysis- Apple, GE Healthcare, Google Deepmind Health, IBM... - April 8th, 2021
- Easter is when we go deep into the enduring stories of death and life - The National - April 4th, 2021
- How Open Source is Driving the Future of Data Science - RTInsights - April 4th, 2021
- Space Regime in Deep Distress: Experts The Diplomat - The Diplomat - April 4th, 2021
- Gulf News webinar to focus on fasting with health conditions during Ramadan | Uae - Gulf News - April 4th, 2021
- When it rains, it floods, and you better know what to do - Columbia Daily Herald - April 4th, 2021
- Opera Meets Film: How Opera is Used to Immerse Us Deeper into Anthony's Mind in 'The Father' - OperaWire - April 2nd, 2021
- Dive Deep Into These Mind-Blowing Underwater Photographer of the Year Entries - Yahoo News - April 2nd, 2021
- Sunfield Farm and Waldorf School dig deep to the root of learning - Port Townsend Leader - April 2nd, 2021
- Dear Eonni: A Filipino UAENA respects Lilac singer IU as a lyricist because her songs are 'active and awake' - PINKVILLA - April 2nd, 2021
- AI in Healthcare Market Is Set to Experience Revolutionary Growth by 2030 | Nuance Communications, Inc., DeepMind Technologies Limited KSU | The... - April 2nd, 2021
- Brain Tracking: Unraveling Mysteries of the Human Mind - WGEM - April 2nd, 2021
- On My Mind: The Solution To Gun Violence? More Guns, Apparently - WFAE - April 2nd, 2021
- System on Chips And The Modern Day Motherboards - Analytics India Magazine - April 2nd, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence Drug R&D: Market By New Business Developments, Innovations, And Top Companies Forecast To 2025 | Gatehouse Bio, Google... - April 2nd, 2021
- Artificial intelligence kept expanding through a turbulent year, with some exceptions - ZDNet - March 21st, 2021
- The Book Corner: The Deep by Rivers Solomon, Daveed Diggs, William Hutson, and Jonathan Snipes - University Press - March 21st, 2021
- 12-foot-deep sinkhole 'accidentally' discovered near Williams Arts Center The Lafayette - The Lafayette - March 21st, 2021
- DeepMind is building a team of A.I. researchers in New York - CNBC - March 16th, 2021
- AI & Robotics in the Global Defense Industry to Reach $61 Billion by 2027 - Robotics Anticipated to Account for the Largest Share of Expenditure -... - March 16th, 2021