What is a machine learning ?
Essentially, it is a method of teaching computers to make and improve predictions or behaviors based on some data. What is this "data"? Well, that depends entirely on the problem. It could be readings from a robot's sensors as it learns to walk, or the correct output of a program for certain input.
Another way to think about machine learning is that it is "pattern recognition" - the act of teaching a program to react to or recognize patterns.
What does machine learning code do ?
Depends on the type of machine learning you're talking about. Machine learning is a huge field, with hundreds of different algorithms for solving myriad different problems - see Wikipedia for more information; specifically, look under Algorithm Types.
When we say machine learns, does it modify the code of itself or it modifies history (Data Base) which will contain the experience of code for given set of inputs ?
Once again, it depends.
One example of code actually being modified is Genetic Programming, where you essentially evolve a program to complete a task (of course, the program doesn't modify itself - but it does modify another computer program).
Neural networks, on the other hand, modify their parameters automatically in response to prepared stimuli and expected response. This allows them to produce many behaviors (theoretically, they can produce any behavior because they can approximate any function to an arbitrary precision, given enough time).
I should note that your use of the term "database" implies that machine learning algorithms work by "remembering" information, events, or experiences. This is not necessarily (or even often!) the case.
Neural networks, which I already mentioned, only keep the current "state" of the approximation, which is updated as learning occurs. Rather than remembering what happened and how to react to it, neural networks build a sort of "model" of their "world." The model tells them how to react to certain inputs, even if the inputs are something that it has never seen before.
This last ability - the ability to react to inputs that have never been seen before - is one of the core tenets of many machine learning algorithms. Imagine trying to teach a computer driver to navigate highways in traffic. Using your "database" metaphor, you would have to teach the computer exactly what to do in millions of possible situations. An effective machine learning algorithm would (hopefully!) be able to learn similarities between different states and react to them similarly.
The similarities between states can be anything - even things we might think of as "mundane" can really trip up a computer! For example, let's say that the computer driver learned that when a car in front of it slowed down, it had to slow down to. For a human, replacing the car with a motorcycle doesn't change anything - we recognize that the motorcycle is also a vehicle. For a machine learning algorithm, this can actually be surprisingly difficult! A database would have to store information separately about the case where a car is in front and where a motorcycle is in front. A machine learning algorithm, on the other hand, would "learn" from the car example and be able to generalize to the motorcycle example automatically.
Originally posted here:
- How Will Machine Learning Serve the Hotel Industry in 2020 and Beyond? - CIOReview - February 8th, 2020
- Overview of causal inference in machine learning - Ericsson - February 8th, 2020
- LinkShadow to Showcase Machine Learning Based Threat Analytics Technology at RSA Conference 2020 - PRNewswire - February 8th, 2020
- Machine Learning Patentability In 2019: 5 Cases Analyzed And Lessons Learned Part 1 - Mondaq News Alerts - February 8th, 2020
- European Central Bank Partners with Digital Innovation Platform Reply to Offer AI and Machine Learning Coding Marathon - Crowdfund Insider - February 8th, 2020
- New cybersecurity system protects networks with LIDAR, no not that LiDAR - C4ISRNet - February 8th, 2020
- The FCA and Bank of England step into the AI and machine learning debate - Lexology - February 8th, 2020
- Artnome Wants to Predict the Price of a Masterpiece. The Problem? There's Only One. - Built In - February 8th, 2020
- Here's what happens when you apply machine learning to enhance the Lumires' 1896 movie "Arrival of a Train at La Ciotat" - Boing Boing - February 8th, 2020
- BrainChip Showcases Vision and Learning Capabilities of its Akida Neural Processing IP and Device at tinyML Summit 2020 - Yahoo Finance - February 8th, 2020
- VUniverse Named One of Five Finalists for SXSW Innovation Awards: AI & Machine Learning Category - Yahoo Finance - February 8th, 2020
- Global Machine Learning Market to garner returns to garner returns worth USD 20.83 Billion by 2024 - Northwest Trail - February 8th, 2020
- AI Hype: Why the Reality Often Falls Short of Expectations - insideBIGDATA - February 8th, 2020
- AI, machine learning, robots, and marketing tech coming to a store near you - TechRepublic - February 5th, 2020
- REPLY: European Central Bank Explores the Possibilities of Machine Learning With a Coding Marathon Organised by Reply - Business Wire - February 5th, 2020
- The Best 17 AI and Machine Learning TED Talks for Practitioners - Solutions Review - February 5th, 2020
- Top Machine Learning Projects Launched By Google In 2020 (Till Date) - Analytics India Magazine - February 5th, 2020
- VUniverse Named One of Five Finalists for SXSW Innovation Awards: AI & Machine Learning Category - PRNewswire - February 5th, 2020
- Reinforcement Learning (RL) Market Report & Framework, 2020: An Introduction to the Technology - Yahoo Finance - February 5th, 2020
- SwRI, SMU fund SPARKS program to explore collaborative research and apply machine learning to industry problems - TechStartups.com - February 5th, 2020
- How to handle the unexpected in conversational AI - ITProPortal - February 5th, 2020
- In Coronavirus Response, AI is Becoming a Useful Tool in a Global Outbreak - Machine Learning Times - machine learning & data science news - The... - February 2nd, 2020
- The ML Times Is Growing A Letter from the New Editor in Chief - Machine Learning Times - machine learning & data science news - The Predictive... - February 2nd, 2020
- Iguazio Deployed by Payoneer to Prevent Fraud with Real-time Machine Learning - Yahoo Finance - February 2nd, 2020
- Made in India' phone, artificial intelligence, machine learning and all that Budget 2020 has for the technology sector - Gadgets Now - February 2nd, 2020
- Itiviti Partners With AI Innovator Imandra to Integrate Machine Learning Into Client Onboarding and Testing Tools - PRNewswire - February 2nd, 2020
- Introduction To Machine Learning | Machine Learning Basics ... - January 31st, 2020
- Combating the coronavirus with Twitter, data mining, and machine learning - TechRepublic - January 31st, 2020
- Top Machine Learning Services in the Cloud - Datamation - January 31st, 2020
- The impediments to implementing AI and machine learning - Which-50 - January 31st, 2020
- ScoreSense Leverages Machine Learning to Take Its Customer Experience to the Next Level - Yahoo Finance - January 31st, 2020
- Blue Prism Adds Conversational AI, Automated Machine Learning and Integration with Citrix to Its Digital Workforce - AiThority - January 31st, 2020
- 3 books to get started on data science and machine learning - TechTalks - January 31st, 2020
- This Python Package 'Causal ML' Provides a Suite of Uplift Modeling and Causal Inference with Machine Learning - MarkTechPost - January 31st, 2020
- Want To Be AI-First? You Need To Be Data-First. - Forbes - January 31st, 2020
- Data Transparency and Curation Vital to Success of Healthcare AI - HealthLeaders Media - January 31st, 2020
- Patenting Considerations for Artificial Intelligence in Biotech and Synthetic Biology - Part 2: Key Issues in Patent Subject Matter Eligibility -... - January 31st, 2020
- The Role of AI and Machine Learning in Cybersecurity - Analytics Insight - January 30th, 2020
- Why Unsupervised Machine Learning is the Future of Cybersecurity - TechNative - January 30th, 2020
- JP Morgan expands dive into machine learning with new London research centre - The TRADE News - January 30th, 2020
- Google shows off far-flung A.I. research projects as calls for regulation mount - CNBC - January 30th, 2020
- This tech firm used AI & machine learning to predict Coronavirus outbreak; warned people about danger zones - Economic Times - January 30th, 2020
- UoB uses machine learning and drone technology in wildlife conservation - Education Technology - January 30th, 2020
- Blue Prism Adds Conversational AI, Automated Machine Learning and Integration with Citrix to its Digital Workforce - what's up - January 30th, 2020
- AI Is Coming to a Grocery Store Near You - Built In - January 30th, 2020
- Machine Learning Could Aid Diagnosis of Barrett's Esophagus, Avoid Invasive Testing - Medical Bag - January 30th, 2020
- OReilly and Formulatedby Unveil the Smart Cities & Mobility Ecosystems Conference - Yahoo Finance - January 30th, 2020
- An Open Source Alternative to AWS SageMaker - Datanami - January 30th, 2020
- Jenkins Creator Launches Startup To Speed Software Testing with Machine Learning -- ADTmag - ADT Magazine - January 30th, 2020
- How Machine Learning Will Lead to Better Maps - Popular Mechanics - January 30th, 2020
- What is Machine Learning? | Types of Machine Learning ... - January 23rd, 2020
- Red Hat Survey Shows Hybrid Cloud, AI and Machine Learning are the Focus of Enterprises - Computer Business Review - January 23rd, 2020
- Vectorspace AI Datasets are Now Available to Power Machine Learning (ML) and Artificial Intelligence (AI) Systems in Collaboration with Elastic -... - January 23rd, 2020
- Learning that Targets Millennial and Generation Z - HR Exchange Network - January 23rd, 2020
- Uncover the Possibilities of AI and Machine Learning With This Bundle - Interesting Engineering - January 22nd, 2020
- Five Reasons to Go to Machine Learning Week 2020 - Machine Learning Times - machine learning & data science news - The Predictive Analytics Times - January 22nd, 2020
- Adventures With Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning - Toolbox - January 22nd, 2020
- Looking at the most significant benefits of machine learning for software testing - The Burn-In - January 22nd, 2020
- Leveraging AI and Machine Learning to Advance Interoperability in Healthcare - - HIT Consultant - January 22nd, 2020
- Educate Yourself on Machine Learning at this Las Vegas Event - Small Business Trends - January 22nd, 2020
- Seton Hall Announces New Courses in Text Mining and Machine Learning - Seton Hall University News & Events - January 22nd, 2020
- New Contest: Train All The Things - Hackaday - January 22nd, 2020
- AFTAs 2019: Best New Technology Introduced Over the Last 12 MonthsAI, Machine Learning and AnalyticsActiveViam - www.waterstechnology.com - January 22nd, 2020
- AI-System Flags the Under-Vaccinated in Israel - PrecisionVaccinations - January 22nd, 2020
- New Program Supports Machine Learning in the Chemical Sciences and Engineering - Newswise - January 13th, 2020
- The Problem with Hiring Algorithms - Machine Learning Times - machine learning & data science news - The Predictive Analytics Times - January 13th, 2020
- Informed decisions through machine learning will keep it afloat & going - Sea News - January 13th, 2020
- Forget Machine Learning, Constraint Solvers are What the Enterprise Needs - - RTInsights - January 13th, 2020
- Finally, a good use for AI: Machine-learning tool guesstimates how well your code will run on a CPU core - The Register - January 13th, 2020
- Cloud as the enabler of AI's competitive advantage - Finextra - January 13th, 2020
- Dell's Latitude 9510 shakes up corporate laptops with 5G, machine learning, and thin bezels - PCWorld - January 13th, 2020
- Here's why digital marketing is as lucrative a career as data science and machine learning - Business Insider India - January 13th, 2020
- CMSWire's Top 10 AI and Machine Learning Articles of 2019 - CMSWire - December 25th, 2019
- Machine Learning in 2019 Was About Balancing Privacy and Progress - ITPro Today - December 25th, 2019
- Machine Learning | Blog | Microsoft Azure - December 23rd, 2019
- AI and machine learning products - Cloud AI | Google Cloud - December 23rd, 2019
- Kubernetes and containers are the perfect fit for machine learning - JAXenter - December 23rd, 2019
- TinyML as a Service and machine learning at the edge - Ericsson - December 23rd, 2019
- Another free web course to gain machine-learning skills (thanks, Finland), NIST probes 'racist' face-recog and more - The Register - December 23rd, 2019
- Machine Learning Answers: If BlackBerry Stock Drops 10% A Week, Whats The Chance Itll Recoup Its Losses In A Month? - Forbes - December 23rd, 2019