NOT a few times, there have been comments on my columns castigating me for referring to the the Yellows or Dilawans, saying that this is an unfair labeling of those who dont agree with my views.
To be honest, I think the term is fitting to this political group, Yellow being a synonym for cowardice (yellow-bellied), duplicity (yellow unions), or the worst kind of media (Yellow tabloids). Even its translation Dilawan rolls in the tongue as a term for the hateful as much as kawatan.
However, I use the term with some precision, as shorthand for a set of beliefs now held by, well, going by the recent Pulse Asia survey, 3 percent of Filipinos. (That is, the percent that mistrusts President Duterte, the nemesis of the Yellows, with 5 percent disapproving of his performance.)
Cory enthralled by Sison, who isnt really Red. PHOTO FROM INTERNET COMMONS
The Yellow tag is as convenient, I think, as labels such as Democrat (with a capital D), or liberal democrat, or Marxist although one has to provide specific, strong arguments why such persons views on a particular issue are wrong. The labels simply help in explaining why they have such particular views.
For example, if I label somebody as a Marxist in the course of discussing his view of higher tax rates for the rich, it is helpful to explain that he is of the view that the State must find a way of channeling capitalist profits (surplus value) into funds to uplift the conditions of the rest of the population, mainly workers.
DistinctiveThe Yellow mind is unique but distinctive that it deserves an anatomy. I consider Yellow a person who embraces at least two of the following ideas, and the more of these he believes in, the deeper is his yellowness.
1. The Marcos era was a totally dark period of our history, with nothing good whatsoever in it. He was simply a dictator who relished one-man rule, nothing more. His record on human rights and kleptocracy is the worst of any Philippine president ever.
2. Cory Aquino was a saint of democracy who with Gods (or the Virgin Marys) help rescued the country from dictatorship and ushered in a democratic regime.
3. Her son Benigno Aquino 3rd was as upright as she, and his administration was one of the best in Philippine history.
4. Dutertes is an authoritarian regime, nearly a fascist one. He is the political reincarnation of Marcos, and his administration is a bad one, even the worst.
Try using this schema in judging the politics of mainstream newspapers. The Philippine Daily Inquirer and Rappler are deep Yellow, while the Philippine Star appears to me as embracing only No. 2 in the above list in recent years. The Manila Bulletin (because of its silence) and this newspaper arent, although one or two columnists seem to embrace No. 1 and No. 4.
CartoonistOur editorial page cartoonist, Im starting to believe, is Yellow. US medias default framework is Yellow, mainly because they really dont bother to do research on what they think is the most unimportant country in Asia.
Ateneo de Manila University, De La Salle University and, of course, the University of the Philippines purportedly our most advanced academic institutions are deep Yellow, or at least their leadership are. This is such a tragedy, as they have the intellectual and research tools to determine that the Yellow beliefs are false, the usual product of a situation in which the ruling elite has control of media.
I dont think theres a similar situation in other countries academic world, a testament to their universities intellectual rigor. Harvard, Yale, and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology arent labeled as Democratic or Republican, nor Oxford and Cambridge as Conservative or Labor.
China-haters Albert del Rosario and Antonio Carpio are undoubtedly Yellow. Only a president as reckless, stupid, or malleable as Aquino 3rd would have allowed the Philippines to be used by the US to file a suit against the American rival for hegemony.
Carpio in his long e-book or in any of his many speeches couldnt even get himself to point out that we are in the Spratlys because of Marcos who annexed that huge territory in the South China Sea as part of the Philippines, called the Kalayaan Island Group.
ChinaTheir project of demonizing China through the arbitration suit is a Yellow project. Enough of it.
I dont include the following false beliefs as elements of the Yellow ideology, although Yellows usually subscribe to the following beliefs:
a) The US has been and will be our big brother, while China is the new Evil Empire, plotting to dominate Asia.
b) The Communist Party, the New Peoples Army and its fronts are fighting against the masses exploitation by the ruling elites. Paradoxically though, most Yellows are worshipers of capitalism, as if it has been and always been the Supreme Deity.
c) Defending human rights is the most important duty of the State, more important than liberating the masses from poverty, and ensuring their security and well-being.
What is strange is that the oligarch-backed Yellow thinking is also that of the Communist Party, using my schema described above. Or maybe not so strange: the Yellow martyr Benigno Aquino, Jr. coddled Communist Party founder Jose Ma. Sison. His widow Cory freed him without even a formal pardon of his conviction for murder and subversion by a court, even if it was a military court had not been challenged for its legitimacy.
I have started to believe that Sisons Marxism is only for show: His ideology is really, and in practice, the Yellow framework. That Marcos was a bloody fascist dictator is an overarching dogma in Sisons mind, especially if it was during martial law when the communists reached its peak of political and military strength. He was even quick to ignore the US plot to isolate China in Asia by going on an anti-Chinese tack after the Aquino regime filed the case against China.
The NPA is nothing but an armed Yellow force.
The Yellow mind has gone deep into our national psyche, as it was disseminated intensely and widely by Presidents Cory, Ramos and Aquino 3rd, and employing such powerful media as the two biggest newspapers PDI and Star and of course ABS-CBN Corp. as well as the three universities.
We would have been stuck with that false thinking if not for Duterte, who has now practically erased it from the masses minds, going by the recent Pulse Asia poll, that is.
See the original post:
Defining the Yellow mind The Manila Times - The Manila Times
- Mind Cure Announces Build-Out of Digital Therapeutics, iSTRYM: A Technology Platform for Mental Wellness Optimization & Psychedelic Research -... - January 6th, 2021
- Global Mindfulness Meditation Apps Market 2020-2025 (Impact of Covid-19) | Deep Relax, Smiling Mind, Inner Explorer, Inc., Committee for Children,... - January 6th, 2021
- Mind, Body and Soul: Shedding and growth - Ramona Sentinel - January 6th, 2021
- These Were Our Favorite Tech Stories From Around the Web in 2020 - Singularity Hub - January 6th, 2021
- The best products and tips for getting a better night's sleep - Fast Company - January 6th, 2021
- Dumb and dumber: The future of business AI depends on HI - ZDNet - January 6th, 2021
- AI Engineers Need to Think Beyond Engineering - Harvard Business Review - October 29th, 2020
- Alertness is an evergreen state of mind for the Jewish community - Security Magazine - October 29th, 2020
- M&A Plus Insurance - Please mind the gap: managing the timing considerations of warranty and indemnity insurance - Lexology - October 29th, 2020
- A deep recession should hurt Trump's reelection bid, but this isn't a usual downturn - CNN - October 29th, 2020
- Creators Of WBUR's 'Madness' Series Talk To Host Of CBC's 'Brainwashed' - WBUR - October 29th, 2020
- Latest Update 2020: Machine Learning Artificial intelligence Market by COVID19 Impact Analysis And Top Manufacturers: AIBrain, Amazon, Anki,... - October 29th, 2020
- Global Mindfulness Meditation Apps Market Expected To Reach Highest CAGR By 2026: Deep Relax, Smiling Mind, Inner Explorer, Inc., Committee for... - October 29th, 2020
- These Texas women arent flocking to Trump. They made up their minds weeks ago. - Houston Chronicle - October 29th, 2020
- Series on Mental Illness Present in Society - The Record Newspapers - TheRecordLive.com - October 29th, 2020
- How We Got Trump Voters to Change Their Mind - The Atlantic - October 27th, 2020
- Researchers Look To Animals To Give Reinforcement Learning Systems Common Sense - Unite.AI - October 27th, 2020
- The true dangers of AI are closer than we think - MIT Technology Review - October 27th, 2020
- An Old Dog's Tale: Wild visions fill the mind at election time - Chinook Observer - October 27th, 2020
- Mind the Gap - The Indian Express - October 27th, 2020
- Breaking News - HBO's "Crazy, Not Insane," A Provocative Look at the Minds of Serial Killers, Debuts November 18 - The Futon Critic - October 27th, 2020
- Family Hardship Helps Inspire Student's Sense of Wonder and Appreciation for the Mind and Body. - Bethel University News - October 27th, 2020
- Algorithmic bias - how do we tackle the underlying problem that inhibits the full potential of AI? - Diginomica - October 27th, 2020
- Enlightening New Book 'The New Prophet' Provides Deep Meditative Truths to Awaken the Heart - GlobeNewswire - October 27th, 2020
- The Deep Dark - The Indian Express - October 27th, 2020
- Technological innovations of AI in medical diagnostics - Health Europa - October 27th, 2020
- African Mental Health Summit to emphasize the importance of cultural understanding - MinnPost - October 27th, 2020
- The All-American Mind of a Militia Member - The New Republic - October 13th, 2020
- What Psychedelic Mushrooms Are Teaching Us About Human Consciousness - Discover Magazine - October 13th, 2020
- Words of wisdom: These books put the focus on the body and the mind - The Hindu - October 13th, 2020
- The state of AI in 2020: Biology and healthcare's AI moment, ethics, predictions, and graph neural networks - ZDNet - October 13th, 2020
- Not all self-help books workbut these 8 will actually rewire the way you think, live and do your job - CNBC - October 13th, 2020
- The Boys cast reflect on "mind-blowingly fun" season 2 finale - RadioTimes - October 13th, 2020
- How to Connect With the Co-Workers Youre Missing - The New York Times - October 13th, 2020
- I'm Thinking That I'm Too Stupid to Understand "I'm Thinking of Ending Things" - The Chicago Maroon - October 13th, 2020
- How AI And Blockchain Are Driving The Energy Transition - OilPrice.com - October 8th, 2020
- Things To Keep In Mind When Buying Dietary Supplements Online - Blog - The Island Now - October 8th, 2020
- Farewell Convolutions ML Community Applauds Anonymous ICLR 2021 Paper That Uses Transformers for Image Recognition at Scale - Synced - October 8th, 2020
- Grid AI, From the Makers of PyTorch Lightning, Emerges From Stealth With $18.6m Series A to Close the Gap Between AI Research and Production -... - October 8th, 2020
- Ask a Therapist: How Not to Drown in the Deluge of the Negativity That Is 2020 - southseattleemerald.com - October 8th, 2020
- Local organizations earn Oregon Arts Commission grant to deliver integral arts education - The Register-Guard - October 8th, 2020
- Do Your Employees Feel Safe Reporting Abuse and Discrimination? - Harvard Business Review - October 8th, 2020
- The State of AI in 2020 and Beyond - CDOTrends - October 8th, 2020
- Good Job, Whale - The Cut - September 24th, 2020
- What the strange case of horse mutilations in France reveals about our state of mind - The Guardian - September 24th, 2020
- Review: The Flaming Lips dig deep with American Head - The Rice Thresher - September 24th, 2020
- FREE Self Development Series: "Curbing Traffic Jam in the Mind" - Patch.com - September 24th, 2020
- Happy Gut, Happy Mind: how the state of your gut affects your mental health - Evening Standard - September 24th, 2020
- How DeepMind Algorithms Helped Improve the Accuracy of Google Maps? - Analytics Insight - September 15th, 2020
- Elon Musk's brain-computer startup is getting ready to blow your mind - ZDNet - September 15th, 2020
- Far from being anti-religious, faith and spirituality run deep in Black Lives Matter - The Conversation US - September 15th, 2020
- Nvidia's Arm takeover sparks concern in the UK, co-founder says it's 'a disaster' - CNBC - September 15th, 2020
- The Guardians GPT-3-written article misleads readers about AI. Heres why. - TechTalks - September 15th, 2020
- What Is Yoga Nidra? Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - September 15th, 2020
- Deep Dive: What would it take to change UNCW's mind? [Free] - Port City Daily - September 14th, 2020
- Eternal Blizzard in the Tired Mind: Kaufman delves ever deeper into the human psyche - The Stanford Daily - September 14th, 2020
- SoftBanks Arm sale hits a snag as UK opposition party warns of risk to jobs and digital sovereignty - CNBC - September 14th, 2020
- Scientific Psi? Neuralink and the smarter brain - Covalence - September 14th, 2020
- How to regulate AI, according to the 1967 Outer Space Treaty - Quartz - September 14th, 2020
- Reporter's notebook/It's time to let the games begin - The Daily Times - September 14th, 2020
- DCPS students receive online instruction from teacher in Greece - The Owensboro Times - September 14th, 2020
- Expand your mind with access to over 1,000 lectures from Tim Ferriss, Malcolm Gladwell, and more - MarketWatch - August 28th, 2020
- Global Machine Learning Artificial intelligence Market 2025 To Expect Maximum Benefit and Growth Potential During this COVID 19 Outbreak: AIBrain,... - August 28th, 2020
- It plays with the mind - Bangalore Mirror - August 28th, 2020
- We criticize because we care - Observer Online - August 28th, 2020
- Exercising toward a healthy mind - Johns Hopkins News-Letter - August 28th, 2020
- 78 percent parents don't mind if children have to skip school year due to pandemic: Survey - EdexLive - August 28th, 2020
- TSMC and Graphcore Prepare for AI Acceleration on 3nm - AnandTech - August 28th, 2020
- Frank Njenga: Over 40 years of healing the mind - Business Daily - August 28th, 2020
- Emily Dickinson is the unlikely hero of our time - The Conversation US - August 28th, 2020
- Visiongain publishes Automation in Biopharma Industry 2020-2030 report - PR Newswire UK - August 26th, 2020
- Scoop: The Trump-Navarro mind meld on the FDA - Axios - August 26th, 2020
- Emily Dickinson is the unlikely hero of our time - Huron Daily Tribune - August 26th, 2020
- 5 ways to ease pain using the mind-body connection - Harvard Health Blog - Harvard Health - August 26th, 2020
- COVID-19: Heal Your Diseases and Illness with Your Subconscious Mind - CEOWORLD magazine - August 26th, 2020
- London's 'Tech City' may never be the same again after the coronavirus - CNBC - August 26th, 2020
- Environmental Sustainability And AI - Forbes - August 26th, 2020
- BetMGM Has Crazy 100-1 Odds On The Yankees or Nats To Go Deep Tonight - Crossing Broad - July 25th, 2020
- Chest-Deep' Wildflowers Are Blooming in Reds Meadow - NBC Southern California - July 25th, 2020
- The Man-Eater part 3 - Lake County Record-Bee - July 25th, 2020