Its that time of year again: Pumpkin spice permeates the air, Thanksgiving flight prices are on the rise, and the annual State of AI report is fresh off the presses.
Spoiler alert: Transformers are in, semiconductors are hot, and AI + structural biology make a great couple.
Quick recap: Every year, Emerging Tech Brew digs into the report, which has been published by UK investors Nathan Benaich and Ian Hogarth since 2018. The authors 2020 predictions netted a ~68% accuracy rate: Nearly six out of eight became a reality, including a new structural-biology breakthrough from DeepMind and Nvidias failure to complete its Arm acquisition.
This year, the report covered top takeaways for research, talent, and politics. Well break down a few of them...
Biology: AI is taking over the structural-biology world, yielding new insights about both cellular machinery and protein shapeswhich could lead to not only drug discovery, but also better understanding of the human body and how diseases work.
Archi-tech-ture: Transformers, a popular architecture used to create models for natural language processing, are now being applied to many other machine learning use cases, like protein structure prediction and computer vision.
Large language models: The powerful and controversial AI tools, which underpin many of the services we use every day, are scaling up and out. And individual countries are looking to create their own dedicated LLMs.
AI talent: Academic organizations dont have enough compute resources to accomplish their projectsbut 88% of top AI faculty have received Big Tech funding, the researchers wrote.
AI safety: Although AI safety is making headlines, fewer than 50 researchers are working on it full-time at the largest AI labs, according to the reportmeaning there are a lot more people whose full-time job it is to build this tech rather than think about potential consequences.
Chips on chips: Semiconductors are hot, hot, hotand the global chip shortage is only increasing demand. Startups in the space are accelerating in a big way, and both countries and corporations are looking to make the semi supply chain more efficient.
Well see you back here next year to see how these sectors of AI move forwardand, of course, which of the reports predictions came true.
- DeepMind's AI helps untangle the mathematics of knots - Nature.com - December 3rd, 2021
- AI proves a dab hand at pure mathematics and protein hallucination - TechCrunch - December 3rd, 2021
- Could Google's DeepMind AI Transform Healthcare? - Motley Fool - December 3rd, 2021
- The Science of Mind Reading - The New Yorker - December 3rd, 2021
- Mom blows TikToks mind with her dishwasher cleaning tips: Excuse me, what? - Yahoo Sports - December 3rd, 2021
- Stress affects more than the mind - University Press - December 3rd, 2021
- 5 Of The Best Deep Frying Pans You Need In Your Kitchen Setup - NDTV - December 3rd, 2021
- Volbeat: Servant Of The Mind - Louder - December 3rd, 2021
- 25 Grounding Techniques That Can Help Instantly Ease Anxiety - POPSUGAR - December 3rd, 2021
- Rooted in Country: Mike and the Moonpies on George Strait Deep Cut 'Rhythm of the Road' - Wide Open Country - December 3rd, 2021
- The Beatles meet 'The Lord of the Rings' in 'Get Back': 'It'll blow your mind,' says director Peter Jackson - theday.com - December 3rd, 2021
- Nunez finds her match with affirmation candles - The Kaplan Herald - December 3rd, 2021
- The big idea: Should we worry about artificial intelligence? - The Guardian - November 29th, 2021
- One of the Worlds Best-Funded Edtech Companies Is Investing In AI Moonshots. Can It Work? - EdSurge - November 29th, 2021
- Lin Wood Goes Off the Deep State Deep End, Accuses Trump Lawyer Sidney Powell and Stop the Steal of Grifting - Yahoo Entertainment - November 29th, 2021
- AI Innovations That Made Headlines In 2021 - Analytics India Magazine - November 29th, 2021
- Its all in the mind: Transforming from cost leaders to thought leaders - Livemint - November 29th, 2021
- This writer couldn't smile due to Bell's palsy. How she found the right therapy and turned inward - KCRW - November 29th, 2021
- Yoga for the mind: 5 poses that can calm the chaos, relieve stress and anxiety, help relax - Times Now - November 29th, 2021
- Her mind is on business - Coeur d'Alene Press - November 29th, 2021
- TikToker Blows Millions Of Minds With Optical Illusions And Tutorial Videos - BroBible - November 29th, 2021
- Passion and break-the-mold spirit on display at The Abbi Agency | NCET Biz Tips - Reno Gazette-Journal - November 29th, 2021
- Home | Petar Velikovi - November 28th, 2021
- The Search for Justification in Clydes and Trouble in Mind - The New Yorker - November 28th, 2021
- Allen Harris | Mind Your Business: Keep your employees through the Great Resignation - Berkshire Eagle - November 28th, 2021
- Kwai, Kuaishou & ETH Zrich Propose PERSIA, a Distributed Training System That Supports Deep Learning-Based Recommenders of up to 100 Trillion... - November 28th, 2021
- Consciousness from Descartes to Ayer: two ideas of the mind and two types of mind - The Irish Times - November 28th, 2021
- Open mind, large heart - Times of India - November 28th, 2021
- Never mind the title. The Sex Lives of College Girls is a guilt-free pleasure - The Sydney Morning Herald - November 28th, 2021
- The Dirt: Digging deep with professor of epidemiology Rod Jackson - Stuff.co.nz - November 28th, 2021
- Ways to help let go of resentment - ABC Life - November 28th, 2021
- How to Deal With Social Anxiety During the Holidays - The New York Times - November 28th, 2021
- How data skills can amplify corporate action to save the planet | Greenbiz - GreenBiz - November 24th, 2021
- When Denver Lost Its Mind Over Youth Crime - The New Republic - November 24th, 2021
- How to deep fry a turkey without burning your house down and more Thanksgiving food tips - Alton Telegraph - November 24th, 2021
- Far East Deep South: Panel discussion on the history and evolution of Afro-Chinese relations in America - SupChina - November 24th, 2021
- Why 2021 Proved To Be A Significant Year For AI-Based Digital Healthcare - Analytics India Magazine - November 24th, 2021
- Brainstream is a mind-tingling new experience by AATOAA - Creative Review - November 24th, 2021
- Simple Ways to be Kind to Yourself - Magazine of Santa Clarita - November 24th, 2021
- Scientists peered into an octopus' brain and were astonished at what they saw - Salon - November 24th, 2021
- It was mind-boggling: Richard Gere on the rescue boat at the heart of Salvini trial - The Guardian - November 24th, 2021
- There Are Actually 7 Types Of AcneHere's How To Treat Each Spot - mindbodygreen.com - November 24th, 2021
- It's Time to Take a Deep Breath. Here's How. - The Wall Street Journal - November 17th, 2021
- New London officials frustrated that environmental funds associated with the State Pier redevelopment won't come to them - WSHU - November 17th, 2021
- Coping with conflict: Kids in Gaza learn deep breathing to ease their trauma : Goats and Soda - NPR - November 17th, 2021
- These Turkey Deep Fryers From Amazon Will Arrive Before Thanksgiving - Mental Floss - November 17th, 2021
- CyCognito Named Tomorrow's Top Growth Company by Qumra Capital during Calcalist's Mind the Tech NY 2021 - PRNewswire - November 17th, 2021
- Body and Mind Expands Branded Products to Ohio - Yahoo Finance - November 15th, 2021
- Government Scientists Recover Hypothesized Crystal From Deep Within Earth - VICE - November 15th, 2021
- Yoga and Consciousness: A Meditation to Access Your Highest Self - Healthline - November 15th, 2021
- Albuquerque artist brings figures to life with a deep look into the Native soul - Albuquerque Journal - November 15th, 2021
- 5 amazing science facts that will blow your mind - India Today - November 15th, 2021
- Avision to debut with first album 'In My Mind' on Maceo Plex's Ellum Audio - The Groove Cartel - November 15th, 2021
- Increase Health and Peace of Mind with Feng Shui and Bach Flowers - Boothbay Register - November 15th, 2021
- How Hanif Abdurraqib Cuts Through the Noise - The New York Times - November 15th, 2021
- Google, DeepMind face lawsuit over data deal with Britain ... - November 11th, 2021
- GARY COSBY JR.: Deep thinking shows the power of a blown mind - Tuscaloosa Magazine - November 11th, 2021
- 12 years after this teen was locked up, the prosecutor who convicted him changed his mind - Los Angeles Times - November 11th, 2021
- I Have to Believe John Sarno's Book Cured My Chronic Pain - The New York Times - November 11th, 2021
- OPINION: Of course, it's true: I read it on the internet - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - November 11th, 2021
- UK AI Strategy: 'Openness' an aim... but what of contracts? - The Register - November 11th, 2021
- Athens commission receives deep dive into county redistricting efforts - Red and Black - November 11th, 2021
- Biggest AI Innovations And Milestones Of 2021 - Analytics India Magazine - November 11th, 2021
- Zen and the Art of Entrepreneurship - Entrepreneur - November 11th, 2021
- Introducing Emma-Jean Thackray, the British nu-jazz prodigy who owes her guitar style to grunge and nu metal - Guitar.com - November 3rd, 2021
- Herd DL Burton heads home with mission in mind - Huntington Herald Dispatch - November 3rd, 2021
- Kaira Jewel Lingo on Trusting the Unknown - Tricycle - Tricycle - November 3rd, 2021
- I Took a Deep Dive Into Zo Kravitz's Outfits, and Now I Need These 8 Basics - Yahoo Lifestyle - November 3rd, 2021
- Goldman Sachs-backed digital bank Starling expects to go public within two years - CNBC - November 3rd, 2021
- Who is Jazmin Bean? A deep dive into the multidiverse mind behind 'Worldwide Torture' - Screen Shot - October 28th, 2021
- Leading with Character: Diversity of the Mind - HS Today - HSToday - October 28th, 2021
- NAMI San Diego and The California School of Professional Psychology Join Forces for 'The Mind Collective' - PRNewswire - October 28th, 2021
- More states are enacting restrictive abortion laws. Maine Planned Parenthood's response is to go deep with voters - Maine Public - October 28th, 2021
- Softmax-free Vision Transformer With Linear Complexity: Achieving a Superior Accuracy/Complexity Trade-off - Synced - October 28th, 2021
- Mindfulness Gifts: The 15 Best Holiday Gifts for Mindfulness - Healthline - October 28th, 2021
- GitHub - deepmind/deepmind-research: This repository ... - October 22nd, 2021
- Why DeepMind Acquired This Robotics Startup - Analytics India Magazine - October 22nd, 2021
- Deeper Is Not Necessarily Better: Princeton U & Intel's 12-Layer Parallel Networks Achieve Performance Competitive With SOTA Deep Networks -... - October 22nd, 2021
- How AI is reinventing what computers are - MIT Technology Review - October 22nd, 2021
- Incorporating This Into Your Daily Routine Can Bolster Your Brain Health & Mood - mindbodygreen.com - October 22nd, 2021