We are living through hard times a COVID-19 surge after a brief letup, a deeply divided nation and spreading wildfires in the west.
With summer coming to a close, schools are finally opening for in-person classes. But as COVID infections increase in our state, were fearful of what may happen as schools open. We are living with a high degree of uncertainty, unpredictability and anxiety.
And then, we struggle with the more ordinary challenges of every day, from the minor to the major and everything in-between.
Last week, my 18-month-old grandson decided that he doesnt want to take a nap or go to sleep without having his back rubbed until he nods off. His parents are at their wits end. My older brother learned that he has coronary artery disease. My 80-year-old friend may have a breast cancer reoccurrence. And my friend Sam learned that his job may be disappearing.
Our minds and bodies react to these challenges. Imagine throwing a rock into a small pond on a windless, sunny day. When the water is still, the pond reflects everything around it the sky, the trees and the flowers.
When the rock hits the surface, theres a big splash and sound. Waves quickly spread out across the pond, bouncing against the shores. Now the rough water is opaque. Depending on the size of the rock and the body of water, these ripples can last a long time.
Our minds are like this small pond, registering the magnitude of the stressor. Our bodies, responding to the disturbance in our mind, cause ripples in our muscles, heart and our breath. These physical and mental waves disrupt our inner peace.
And now imagine throwing the same stone into the Puget Sound. There is still a splash where the rock hits the water. But then the shock is absorbed by the vast breadth and depth of this large body of water, and is only registered for a brief moment before it returns to its previous state.
In our lives, both big and small rocks are thrown into our ponds every day. Sometimes they are small, like pebbles, and represent minor frustrations and disappointments. Other times, like in my brothers situation, they are large and make a big splash with rolling waves.
It is helpful to cultivate a big mind that can absorb these stresses and strains in our lives without causing undue waves that upset our bodies and our minds.
Notice how your mind and body reacts to the rocks that are thrown into your pond. What happens to your muscles, your heart, your breath? What thoughts fly through your mind? Where does your mind go when you experience frustration, disappointment, fear or anger? Do you find yourself at the bottom of a rabbit hole of negative thinking? Or are you able to let your thoughts and feelings go? This self-awareness can help you find ways to settle your mind.
Establish a practice which helps you nurture a big mind. This is a little different than applying first aid when your mind is disturbed, like taking a walk, exercise, listening to music, prayer or deep breathing all very useful antidotes to daily distress. But its also important to establish practices that cultivate a big mind, one that can more easily absorb the stresses and strains of life as it unfolds. This ultimately prevents the waves from spreading. Meditation, yoga, tai chi, mindfulness exercises, martial arts, prayer and breathing practices can slowly but surely help you find greater inner peace.
We cant control what happens to us, but we can learn how to keep our peace.
Paul Schoenfeld is a clinical psychologist at The Everett Clinic. His Family Talk blog can be found at http://www.everettclinic.com/health-wellness-library.html.
Go here to see the original:
How to cultivate a 'big mind' to deal with everyday stresses | HeraldNet.com - The Daily Herald
- GitHub - deepmind/deepmind-research: This repository ... - October 22nd, 2021
- Why DeepMind Acquired This Robotics Startup - Analytics India Magazine - October 22nd, 2021
- Deeper Is Not Necessarily Better: Princeton U & Intel's 12-Layer Parallel Networks Achieve Performance Competitive With SOTA Deep Networks -... - October 22nd, 2021
- How AI is reinventing what computers are - MIT Technology Review - October 22nd, 2021
- Incorporating This Into Your Daily Routine Can Bolster Your Brain Health & Mood - mindbodygreen.com - October 22nd, 2021
- The Ideal Color To Surround Yourself With Right Now, According To Astrologers - mindbodygreen.com - October 22nd, 2021
- A.I. Predicts the Shapes of Molecules to Come - The New ... - October 20th, 2021
- These weird virtual creatures evolve their bodies to solve problems - MIT Technology Review - October 20th, 2021
- As Great Resignation Draws On, Smaller Teams and Larger Workloads, Concerns Over Retention Top of Mind for Leaders - Business Wire - October 20th, 2021
- Global Mindfulness Meditation Apps Market 2021 Industry Insights and Major Players are Deep Relax, Smiling Mind, Inner Explorer, Inc. Radford... - October 15th, 2021
- Google Proposes ARDMs: Efficient Autoregressive Models That Learn to Generate in any Order - Synced - October 15th, 2021
- Here's what's big for AI this year, according to the annual State of AI report - Morning Brew - October 15th, 2021
- Google DeepMind AI: Heres how it can bring a revolution in weather forecasting - Yahoo Singapore News - October 12th, 2021
- Now AI Tells You If It Will Pour In The Next Two Hours - Analytics India Magazine - October 12th, 2021
- Global Blockchain Technology in Healthcare Market (2021 to 2026) - Featuring Accenture, Capgemini and DeepMind Health Among Others -... - October 12th, 2021
- 10 Most Popular Google AI Projects that Everyone Should Know - Analytics Insight - October 12th, 2021
- How this company is using data-driven drug discovery to fight disease - The Globe and Mail - October 12th, 2021
- DeepMind tells Google it has no idea how to make AI less toxic - The Next Web - September 23rd, 2021
- There are some important things to keep in mind for first time home buyers - KTBS - September 23rd, 2021
- Easy exploring: The best things to do in Deep Cove | Curated - Daily Hive - September 23rd, 2021
- The Secrets of The Worlds Greatest Freediver - GQ Magazine - September 23rd, 2021
- How to find peace of mind during the COVID-19 pandemic's delta surge | Opinion - Tennessean - September 23rd, 2021
- WONDERFUL THINGS: Perfect peace in a troubled world from Jesus - Destin Log - September 23rd, 2021
- The Best Social Media Reactions and Memes at the 2021 Met Gala - Yahoo Lifestyle - September 15th, 2021
- Researchers lay the groundwork for an AI hive mind - The Next Web - September 15th, 2021
- Infinite Memory Transformer: Attending to Arbitrarily Long Contexts Without Increasing Computation Burden - Synced - September 15th, 2021
- It takes a village: how Asics got a small town to lace up and raise money for Mind UK - The Drum - September 15th, 2021
- EY study deep dives into financial protection gap - Insurance Business - September 15th, 2021
- Peptone: Putting molecular physics at the heart of UK's next billion-pound pharma company - Yahoo Money - September 15th, 2021
- Vigil episode four recap Silva and the crew are in deep water - The Guardian - September 13th, 2021
- THE BOOK NOOK: Deep behind the scenes of 9/11 - Niagara Gazette - September 13th, 2021
- How 7 years of dirt is deep cleaned from mattresses - Insider - September 13th, 2021
- A therapy called rhythm that creates impact on the body and the mind - Onmanorama - September 13th, 2021
- Bidens abortion clash with the Catholic Church - POLITICO - September 13th, 2021
- God's mysterious riches, wisdom, and knowledge - Leawood - Church of the Resurrection - September 13th, 2021
- Google pulls the plug on DeepMind-developed health app Streams - Business Insider - September 1st, 2021
- Where the mind is without fear - The Times of India Blog - September 1st, 2021
- Global Cognitive Computing in Retail Market, By Component, By Technology, By Deployment, By Application, By Region, Competition Forecast &... - September 1st, 2021
- U.S. households and small businesses have stockpiled a mind-blowing record cash pile of almost $17 trillion - MarketWatch - August 26th, 2021
- What would it be like to be a conscious AI? We might never know. - MIT Technology Review - August 26th, 2021
- Google Health Disbanded; Staff Sent To Other Divisions - Silicon UK - August 26th, 2021
- Zen and the art of fly-fishing in Sweden a photo essay - The Guardian - August 26th, 2021
- 7 Ways to Stop Racing Thoughts at Night and Get to Sleep - Livestrong - August 26th, 2021
- Possumhaw: Out of sight, out of mind - The Dispatch - The Commercial Dispatch - August 24th, 2021
- UK aims to boost solar by predicting cloud movements with A.I. - CNBC - August 24th, 2021
- This Special Nature Writing Ritual Will Connect You To Your Divine Feminine - mindbodygreen.com - August 24th, 2021
- Shipwrecked: A Shocking Tale of Love, Loss, and Survival in the Deep Blue Sea - Boston magazine - August 24th, 2021
- AllDay notes after deeper reading of the prospectus - Philstar.com - August 24th, 2021
- UCSD & Microsoft Improve Image Recognition With Extremely Low FLOPs - Synced - August 24th, 2021
- Are These the Hidden Deepfakes in the Anthony Bourdain Movie? - WIRED - August 24th, 2021
- Scientists report new findings on the role that fish play in balancing coral, algae on reefs - ASU Now - August 24th, 2021
- Accurate prediction of protein structures and interactions using a three-track neural network - Science Magazine - August 22nd, 2021
- The Wonders That Live at the Very Bottom of the Sea - The New York Times - August 22nd, 2021
- Tamo J is 'digging up deep-rooted issues' in therapy - Jamaica Gleaner - August 22nd, 2021
- How to use 'progressive muscle relaxation' to calms stress and ease anxiety - GLAMOUR UK - August 22nd, 2021
- Review: 'Sister Sorry' plunges deep into a shadowy abyss of the psyche. But are its characters worth caring about? - Berkshire Eagle - August 22nd, 2021
- Always on your mind - The New Indian Express - August 22nd, 2021
- This Former Pastor Is Changing Evangelicals' Minds on COVID Vaccines Mother Jones - Mother Jones - August 22nd, 2021
- How DeepMind's John Jumper unlocked the 3D secret to proteins - Fast Company - August 14th, 2021
- How to avoid falling asleep during meditation - The Indian Express - August 14th, 2021
- A New Review of Dozens of Studies Found These Are the 8 Most Effective Ways to Stop Worrying and Calm Your Mind - Inc. - August 14th, 2021
- Four Policies that Government Can Pursue to Advance Trustworthy AI - uschamber.com - August 14th, 2021
- England vs India 2nd Test, Day 3 as it happened: Roots marathon ton guides hosts to 27-run lead - Scroll.in - August 14th, 2021
- Deshbhakti Curriculum to be implemented in Delhi Govt schools. Here is what it will cover - Mint - August 14th, 2021
- Trouble at Google's DeepMind and tech workers not going back to the office - Business Insider - August 8th, 2021
- Embodied AI, superintelligence and the master algorithm - TechCrunch - August 8th, 2021
- Alserkal is serving up isolation tanks and other mind altering activities this month - Time Out Dubai - August 8th, 2021
- Tshola had a generous heart and mind - IOL - August 8th, 2021
- Keeping the faith: Remembering gratitude can help us extend love to others, transform world - The Columbus Dispatch - August 8th, 2021
- AI use cases are expanding and evolving in healthcare - Tech Wire Asia - August 1st, 2021
- DeepMind releases massive database of 3D protein structures - STAT - STAT - July 25th, 2021
- DeepMinds AI uncovers structure of 98.5 per cent of human proteins - News Nation USA - July 25th, 2021
- Good Morning, News: $600000 Settlement for 2017 PPB Killing, Deep Pockets Try Influencing MultCo DA, and Everything is GREAT at the Olympics! - The... - July 25th, 2021
- DeepMind open-sources AlphaFold 2 for protein structure predictions - VentureBeat - July 21st, 2021
- DeepMind's AlphaFold 2 reveal: Convolutions are out, attention is in - ZDNet - July 21st, 2021
- AI in Healthcare Market Growing Trade Among Emerging Economies Opening New Opportunities (2021-2031) | Nuance Communications, Inc., DeepMind... - July 21st, 2021
- Self-driving data centres: Managing the transition from human-to-AI workload management - IT Brief Australia - July 21st, 2021
- The scene is set | Royal St George's | The 149th Open - The Open - July 14th, 2021
- Tech Companies Leading the Cognitive Computing Race in 2021 - Analytics Insight - July 14th, 2021
- Science fiction: From hero's tales to deep thoughts - The Daily Advance - July 14th, 2021