Senior citizens testing positive for COVID-19 are seeing new symptoms, warn doctors
For almost 10 days before Mahadeo Deole the former mayor of Mumbai was admitted to the Kokilaben Hospital, he had been feeling lethargic, was sleeping excessively and felt in a dazed state while awake. By July 8, he had slight fever, cough and was a wee bit short of breath. Three days later he got admitted to the hospital where he tested postive for COVID-19.
I did not know what was happening to me. There was no reason for me to fall asleep just like that. I couldnt stay awake. I didnt know it was COVID because for over a week I didnt have any fever or cold. Deole tells Mirror.
Tests revealed that he had pneumonia and had also suffered multiple strokes. When he tested positive for COVID, we realised the virus had caused neurological complications. Even after he came out of the coma he had no recollection where he was and why he had come to the hospital, says Dr Annu Aggarwal, neurologist with Kokilaben Hospital. We have to be very careful with the elderly patients. They may not always develop fever.
At the Kokilaben Hospital, for example, in these five months around 350 COVID patients have been attended to who had developed neurological problems, a majority of them being cases of encephalopathy and multiple strokes.
When the pandemic started, it felt the virus affected only the lungs. But now we know it can affect any organ and that makes the virus a very unpredictable and complicated one, she says.
The United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has identified the following as symptoms of COVID-19 fever or chills, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fatigue. As well as muscle or body aches, headache, new loss of taste or smell, sore throat, congestion or runny nose, nausea or vomiting and diarrhea.
Among the physical conditions that the CDC has shortlisted that require emergency medical attention includes trouble breathing, persistent pain or pressure in the chest, confusion, inability to wake up or stay awake and bluish lips, face, fingers and nails.
The 80-year old Deoles fatigue, sleepiness and confused state of mind all indicated that his physical capabilities were under attack from the virus, but none of these were immediately identified.
Our advise to patients of all the age groups, especially the elderly, is to keep a check on whether there has been any sudden change in their routine for which no reason can be identified. Like falling asleep at odd hours despite a good sleep in the night or being tired throughout the day, says Aggarwal. Anything happening to the body that is unusual should ring alarm bells. We have even treated young people who came with multiple clots.
Now we know the virus can affect any organ and that makes it very unpredictable and complicated
Dr Annu Aggarwal, neurologist Kokilaben Hospital
Staying indoors and wearing the mask properly outdoors are the only two ways that can be suggested till a vaccine is out, says Aggarwal. Most people are careless about the way they are using the mask. Whenever outside they should keep their mouth and nose covered and not leave the mask hanging on the chin. Precaution must be taken not to touch the mask even after stepping indoor. Before removing the mask, one should first wash their hands with soap and water.
The blame for the virus spreading fast through the nasal and throat passage goes to the respiratory and also the digestive tracts, which contains a receptor ACE2 that makes it easier for the virus to attack the cells.
Doctors believe the virus interferes with the coagulation system and makes the blood clot that leads to stroke. What we dont know yet is whether the virus is travelling to the brain after finding a way in through the nasal cavity, says Aggarwal.
Another problem area that the doctors treating Covid-19 patients in Mumbai have identified is the interference of the virus in the hormonal balance. Patients with no history of blood sugar have come for treatment with either a drastic fall or sharp rise in the sugar levels, the cause of which is still unknown.
With businesses and shopping establishments on reopening mode, the doctors feel the elderlies should assess the risks before stepping out of their homes and avoid activities where it isnt possible to keep people at a distance.
SIGNS TO LOOK FOR EMERGENCY ADMISSION IN COVID-19 CASES
See the article here:
It plays with the mind - Bangalore Mirror
- Good Job, Whale - The Cut - September 24th, 2020
- What the strange case of horse mutilations in France reveals about our state of mind - The Guardian - September 24th, 2020
- Review: The Flaming Lips dig deep with American Head - The Rice Thresher - September 24th, 2020
- FREE Self Development Series: "Curbing Traffic Jam in the Mind" - Patch.com - September 24th, 2020
- Happy Gut, Happy Mind: how the state of your gut affects your mental health - Evening Standard - September 24th, 2020
- How DeepMind Algorithms Helped Improve the Accuracy of Google Maps? - Analytics Insight - September 15th, 2020
- Elon Musk's brain-computer startup is getting ready to blow your mind - ZDNet - September 15th, 2020
- Far from being anti-religious, faith and spirituality run deep in Black Lives Matter - The Conversation US - September 15th, 2020
- Nvidia's Arm takeover sparks concern in the UK, co-founder says it's 'a disaster' - CNBC - September 15th, 2020
- The Guardians GPT-3-written article misleads readers about AI. Heres why. - TechTalks - September 15th, 2020
- What Is Yoga Nidra? Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - September 15th, 2020
- Deep Dive: What would it take to change UNCW's mind? [Free] - Port City Daily - September 14th, 2020
- Eternal Blizzard in the Tired Mind: Kaufman delves ever deeper into the human psyche - The Stanford Daily - September 14th, 2020
- SoftBanks Arm sale hits a snag as UK opposition party warns of risk to jobs and digital sovereignty - CNBC - September 14th, 2020
- Scientific Psi? Neuralink and the smarter brain - Covalence - September 14th, 2020
- How to regulate AI, according to the 1967 Outer Space Treaty - Quartz - September 14th, 2020
- Reporter's notebook/It's time to let the games begin - The Daily Times - September 14th, 2020
- DCPS students receive online instruction from teacher in Greece - The Owensboro Times - September 14th, 2020
- Expand your mind with access to over 1,000 lectures from Tim Ferriss, Malcolm Gladwell, and more - MarketWatch - August 28th, 2020
- Global Machine Learning Artificial intelligence Market 2025 To Expect Maximum Benefit and Growth Potential During this COVID 19 Outbreak: AIBrain,... - August 28th, 2020
- We criticize because we care - Observer Online - August 28th, 2020
- Exercising toward a healthy mind - Johns Hopkins News-Letter - August 28th, 2020
- 78 percent parents don't mind if children have to skip school year due to pandemic: Survey - EdexLive - August 28th, 2020
- TSMC and Graphcore Prepare for AI Acceleration on 3nm - AnandTech - August 28th, 2020
- Frank Njenga: Over 40 years of healing the mind - Business Daily - August 28th, 2020
- Emily Dickinson is the unlikely hero of our time - The Conversation US - August 28th, 2020
- Visiongain publishes Automation in Biopharma Industry 2020-2030 report - PR Newswire UK - August 26th, 2020
- Scoop: The Trump-Navarro mind meld on the FDA - Axios - August 26th, 2020
- Emily Dickinson is the unlikely hero of our time - Huron Daily Tribune - August 26th, 2020
- 5 ways to ease pain using the mind-body connection - Harvard Health Blog - Harvard Health - August 26th, 2020
- COVID-19: Heal Your Diseases and Illness with Your Subconscious Mind - CEOWORLD magazine - August 26th, 2020
- London's 'Tech City' may never be the same again after the coronavirus - CNBC - August 26th, 2020
- Environmental Sustainability And AI - Forbes - August 26th, 2020
- BetMGM Has Crazy 100-1 Odds On The Yankees or Nats To Go Deep Tonight - Crossing Broad - July 25th, 2020
- Chest-Deep' Wildflowers Are Blooming in Reds Meadow - NBC Southern California - July 25th, 2020
- The Man-Eater part 3 - Lake County Record-Bee - July 25th, 2020
- SPIRIT MATTERS: Breathing through the day - LaSalle News Tribune - July 25th, 2020
- Coping with COVID: These stunning Instagram artworks dive deep into the mind - Cond Nast Traveller India - July 8th, 2020
- COVID-19 Update: Global Mindfulness Meditation Apps Market is Expected to Grow at a Healthy CAGR with top players Deep Relax, Smiling Mind, Inner... - July 8th, 2020
- Pralaya Yoga's Adult Nap Time Could Be the Lullaby You're Needing in 2020 - Houstonia Magazine - July 8th, 2020
- Mindfulness Meditation Apps Market (impact of COVID-19) To See Massive Growth By 2026| Committee for Children, Insights Network, Inc., Smiling Mind,... - July 8th, 2020
- 'McMindfulness,' and why deep breathing isn't always the answer - Dailyuw - July 8th, 2020
- Deep cultural shifts required: open letter from 500 legal women calls for reform of way judges are appointed and disciplined - Women's Agenda - July 8th, 2020
- Mental Health and Coping Tips - Wexner Medical Center - The Ohio State University - July 8th, 2020
- Yes, Mr Cummings, energy efficiency is boring if you have a one inch deep mind - The Fifth Estate - July 7th, 2020
- Breaking News - Documentary "Stockton on My Mind" Debuts July 28 on HBO - The Futon Critic - July 7th, 2020
- The Importance and the Consequences of Writing a Will - The Wire - July 7th, 2020
- Deep cultural shifts required: open letter from 500 legal women calls for reform of way judges are appointed and disciplined - UNSW Newsroom - July 7th, 2020
- Married to the Military: Dont neglect your mental health - The Fayetteville Observer - July 7th, 2020
- Suddenly, The Investment Market Comes Out Of The Deep Freeze - Bisnow - July 7th, 2020
- In Conversation: Thandie Newton - Vulture - July 7th, 2020
- Backstory: Emergency by Any Other Name Cuts as Deep - The Wire - July 4th, 2020
- FAMILY MATTERS: Open eyes and mind to teen's ascent to adulthood - Eagle-Tribune - July 4th, 2020
- Experts see 'deep trouble' for Trump overcoming plummet in the polls - Missoula Current - July 4th, 2020
- Love that stifles... - Deccan Herald - July 4th, 2020
- The long road back from COVID-19 - The Boston Globe - July 4th, 2020
- The Ripple: Healing Divisive Minds and Grieving Hearts - Aledo Times Record - July 2nd, 2020
- Deep sea coral garden found in the unlikeliest of places - Metro.co.uk - July 2nd, 2020
- Georgia on my mind - The Parliament Magazine - July 2nd, 2020
- COVID-19 and Teletherapy May Be Changing How Much You Know About Your Therapist - Michigan Medicine - July 2nd, 2020
- A conversation about racism opened my eyes The Foothills Focus - Foothills Focus - July 2nd, 2020
- Eric and Wendy Schmidt back Cambridge University effort to equip researchers with A.I. skills - CNBC - June 29th, 2020
- Change Our Mind: it is your civic duty to buy performance estates - Top Gear - June 29th, 2020
- Research: Artificial neural networks are more similar to the brain than we thought - TNW - June 29th, 2020
- Moving forward by turning to the past: Oregon Historical Quarterly takes a deep dive into Oregons white supremacist roots - KGW.com - June 29th, 2020
- Trump's scorched-earth handling of environment extends to oceans too - Las Vegas Sun - June 29th, 2020
- Is that really everything you have to give? | Yon - Tallahassee Democrat - June 29th, 2020
- Why Facebook chose to open its first European A.I. lab in Paris and not London - CNBC - June 23rd, 2020
- Decoding the link between Artificial Neural Networks and Deep Learning Algorithms - Analytics Insight - June 23rd, 2020
- Deftones' 'White Pony': 10 Things We Learned From Chino Moreno - Revolver Magazine - June 23rd, 2020
- Stranger Things: David Harbour compares Hopper to Gandalf the White - lcbcradio.com - June 23rd, 2020
- #9 Ways How Meditation Can Strengthen Our Mind, Body, and Soul - Entrepreneur - June 23rd, 2020
- Which Type of Yoga Should You Try? - United News of Bangladesh - June 23rd, 2020
- If You Want to Change, Start from the Ground Up - SFGate - June 23rd, 2020
- The Ripple: Equality and Balance is an Inside Job - Newton Press Mentor - June 20th, 2020
- Matters of the mind: Impact of lockdown and Covid-19 on marriages - The Indian Express - June 20th, 2020
- Something to Muench on: In a word, priceless! - The Cross Timbers Gazette - June 20th, 2020
- What came to mind when I acted dead - Daily Trust - June 20th, 2020
- The race to develop AI chips heats up as Graphcore says it's shipped 'tens of thousands' - CNBC - June 9th, 2020
- Stay Home, Watch Horror: 5 Deep Space Horror Movies to Stream This Week - Bloody Disgusting - June 9th, 2020