Senior citizens testing positive for COVID-19 are seeing new symptoms, warn doctors
For almost 10 days before Mahadeo Deole the former mayor of Mumbai was admitted to the Kokilaben Hospital, he had been feeling lethargic, was sleeping excessively and felt in a dazed state while awake. By July 8, he had slight fever, cough and was a wee bit short of breath. Three days later he got admitted to the hospital where he tested postive for COVID-19.
I did not know what was happening to me. There was no reason for me to fall asleep just like that. I couldnt stay awake. I didnt know it was COVID because for over a week I didnt have any fever or cold. Deole tells Mirror.
Tests revealed that he had pneumonia and had also suffered multiple strokes. When he tested positive for COVID, we realised the virus had caused neurological complications. Even after he came out of the coma he had no recollection where he was and why he had come to the hospital, says Dr Annu Aggarwal, neurologist with Kokilaben Hospital. We have to be very careful with the elderly patients. They may not always develop fever.
At the Kokilaben Hospital, for example, in these five months around 350 COVID patients have been attended to who had developed neurological problems, a majority of them being cases of encephalopathy and multiple strokes.
When the pandemic started, it felt the virus affected only the lungs. But now we know it can affect any organ and that makes the virus a very unpredictable and complicated one, she says.
The United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has identified the following as symptoms of COVID-19 fever or chills, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fatigue. As well as muscle or body aches, headache, new loss of taste or smell, sore throat, congestion or runny nose, nausea or vomiting and diarrhea.
Among the physical conditions that the CDC has shortlisted that require emergency medical attention includes trouble breathing, persistent pain or pressure in the chest, confusion, inability to wake up or stay awake and bluish lips, face, fingers and nails.
The 80-year old Deoles fatigue, sleepiness and confused state of mind all indicated that his physical capabilities were under attack from the virus, but none of these were immediately identified.
Our advise to patients of all the age groups, especially the elderly, is to keep a check on whether there has been any sudden change in their routine for which no reason can be identified. Like falling asleep at odd hours despite a good sleep in the night or being tired throughout the day, says Aggarwal. Anything happening to the body that is unusual should ring alarm bells. We have even treated young people who came with multiple clots.
Now we know the virus can affect any organ and that makes it very unpredictable and complicated
Dr Annu Aggarwal, neurologist Kokilaben Hospital
Staying indoors and wearing the mask properly outdoors are the only two ways that can be suggested till a vaccine is out, says Aggarwal. Most people are careless about the way they are using the mask. Whenever outside they should keep their mouth and nose covered and not leave the mask hanging on the chin. Precaution must be taken not to touch the mask even after stepping indoor. Before removing the mask, one should first wash their hands with soap and water.
The blame for the virus spreading fast through the nasal and throat passage goes to the respiratory and also the digestive tracts, which contains a receptor ACE2 that makes it easier for the virus to attack the cells.
Doctors believe the virus interferes with the coagulation system and makes the blood clot that leads to stroke. What we dont know yet is whether the virus is travelling to the brain after finding a way in through the nasal cavity, says Aggarwal.
Another problem area that the doctors treating Covid-19 patients in Mumbai have identified is the interference of the virus in the hormonal balance. Patients with no history of blood sugar have come for treatment with either a drastic fall or sharp rise in the sugar levels, the cause of which is still unknown.
With businesses and shopping establishments on reopening mode, the doctors feel the elderlies should assess the risks before stepping out of their homes and avoid activities where it isnt possible to keep people at a distance.
SIGNS TO LOOK FOR EMERGENCY ADMISSION IN COVID-19 CASES
See the article here:
It plays with the mind - Bangalore Mirror
- Dear World Travel Groups, Stop the Mind-Boggling Confusion Over Testing and Vaccines Now - Skift - January 25th, 2021
- 2021 technology trend review, part two: AI, knowledge graphs, and the COVID-19 effect - ZDNet - January 25th, 2021
- The Minneapolis Miracle was the best moment in Vikings playoff history - SB Nation - January 25th, 2021
- Poet brings deep sense of connection to virtual Unbound date - Columbia Daily Tribune - January 25th, 2021
- Johnson wants trade deal, but Biden has mind on other things - Chinadaily.com.cn - China Daily - January 25th, 2021
- The Big Bang Theory: 10 Times The Show Tackled Deep Issues - Screen Rant - January 25th, 2021
- Movie Review: A Performer, His Story And Mind-Bending Illusions Make 'In And Of Itself' Essential Viewing - Patch.com - January 25th, 2021
- Tackling tech's big diversity problem starts with education - Wired.co.uk - January 25th, 2021
- Mind Cure Announces Build-Out of Digital Therapeutics, iSTRYM: A Technology Platform for Mental Wellness Optimization & Psychedelic Research -... - January 6th, 2021
- Global Mindfulness Meditation Apps Market 2020-2025 (Impact of Covid-19) | Deep Relax, Smiling Mind, Inner Explorer, Inc., Committee for Children,... - January 6th, 2021
- Mind, Body and Soul: Shedding and growth - Ramona Sentinel - January 6th, 2021
- These Were Our Favorite Tech Stories From Around the Web in 2020 - Singularity Hub - January 6th, 2021
- The best products and tips for getting a better night's sleep - Fast Company - January 6th, 2021
- Dumb and dumber: The future of business AI depends on HI - ZDNet - January 6th, 2021
- AI Engineers Need to Think Beyond Engineering - Harvard Business Review - October 29th, 2020
- Alertness is an evergreen state of mind for the Jewish community - Security Magazine - October 29th, 2020
- M&A Plus Insurance - Please mind the gap: managing the timing considerations of warranty and indemnity insurance - Lexology - October 29th, 2020
- A deep recession should hurt Trump's reelection bid, but this isn't a usual downturn - CNN - October 29th, 2020
- Creators Of WBUR's 'Madness' Series Talk To Host Of CBC's 'Brainwashed' - WBUR - October 29th, 2020
- Latest Update 2020: Machine Learning Artificial intelligence Market by COVID19 Impact Analysis And Top Manufacturers: AIBrain, Amazon, Anki,... - October 29th, 2020
- Global Mindfulness Meditation Apps Market Expected To Reach Highest CAGR By 2026: Deep Relax, Smiling Mind, Inner Explorer, Inc., Committee for... - October 29th, 2020
- These Texas women arent flocking to Trump. They made up their minds weeks ago. - Houston Chronicle - October 29th, 2020
- Series on Mental Illness Present in Society - The Record Newspapers - TheRecordLive.com - October 29th, 2020
- How We Got Trump Voters to Change Their Mind - The Atlantic - October 27th, 2020
- Researchers Look To Animals To Give Reinforcement Learning Systems Common Sense - Unite.AI - October 27th, 2020
- The true dangers of AI are closer than we think - MIT Technology Review - October 27th, 2020
- An Old Dog's Tale: Wild visions fill the mind at election time - Chinook Observer - October 27th, 2020
- Mind the Gap - The Indian Express - October 27th, 2020
- Breaking News - HBO's "Crazy, Not Insane," A Provocative Look at the Minds of Serial Killers, Debuts November 18 - The Futon Critic - October 27th, 2020
- Family Hardship Helps Inspire Student's Sense of Wonder and Appreciation for the Mind and Body. - Bethel University News - October 27th, 2020
- Algorithmic bias - how do we tackle the underlying problem that inhibits the full potential of AI? - Diginomica - October 27th, 2020
- Enlightening New Book 'The New Prophet' Provides Deep Meditative Truths to Awaken the Heart - GlobeNewswire - October 27th, 2020
- The Deep Dark - The Indian Express - October 27th, 2020
- Technological innovations of AI in medical diagnostics - Health Europa - October 27th, 2020
- African Mental Health Summit to emphasize the importance of cultural understanding - MinnPost - October 27th, 2020
- The All-American Mind of a Militia Member - The New Republic - October 13th, 2020
- What Psychedelic Mushrooms Are Teaching Us About Human Consciousness - Discover Magazine - October 13th, 2020
- Words of wisdom: These books put the focus on the body and the mind - The Hindu - October 13th, 2020
- The state of AI in 2020: Biology and healthcare's AI moment, ethics, predictions, and graph neural networks - ZDNet - October 13th, 2020
- Not all self-help books workbut these 8 will actually rewire the way you think, live and do your job - CNBC - October 13th, 2020
- The Boys cast reflect on "mind-blowingly fun" season 2 finale - RadioTimes - October 13th, 2020
- How to Connect With the Co-Workers Youre Missing - The New York Times - October 13th, 2020
- I'm Thinking That I'm Too Stupid to Understand "I'm Thinking of Ending Things" - The Chicago Maroon - October 13th, 2020
- How AI And Blockchain Are Driving The Energy Transition - OilPrice.com - October 8th, 2020
- Things To Keep In Mind When Buying Dietary Supplements Online - Blog - The Island Now - October 8th, 2020
- Defining the Yellow mind The Manila Times - The Manila Times - October 8th, 2020
- Farewell Convolutions ML Community Applauds Anonymous ICLR 2021 Paper That Uses Transformers for Image Recognition at Scale - Synced - October 8th, 2020
- Grid AI, From the Makers of PyTorch Lightning, Emerges From Stealth With $18.6m Series A to Close the Gap Between AI Research and Production -... - October 8th, 2020
- Ask a Therapist: How Not to Drown in the Deluge of the Negativity That Is 2020 - southseattleemerald.com - October 8th, 2020
- Local organizations earn Oregon Arts Commission grant to deliver integral arts education - The Register-Guard - October 8th, 2020
- Do Your Employees Feel Safe Reporting Abuse and Discrimination? - Harvard Business Review - October 8th, 2020
- The State of AI in 2020 and Beyond - CDOTrends - October 8th, 2020
- Good Job, Whale - The Cut - September 24th, 2020
- What the strange case of horse mutilations in France reveals about our state of mind - The Guardian - September 24th, 2020
- Review: The Flaming Lips dig deep with American Head - The Rice Thresher - September 24th, 2020
- FREE Self Development Series: "Curbing Traffic Jam in the Mind" - Patch.com - September 24th, 2020
- Happy Gut, Happy Mind: how the state of your gut affects your mental health - Evening Standard - September 24th, 2020
- How DeepMind Algorithms Helped Improve the Accuracy of Google Maps? - Analytics Insight - September 15th, 2020
- Elon Musk's brain-computer startup is getting ready to blow your mind - ZDNet - September 15th, 2020
- Far from being anti-religious, faith and spirituality run deep in Black Lives Matter - The Conversation US - September 15th, 2020
- Nvidia's Arm takeover sparks concern in the UK, co-founder says it's 'a disaster' - CNBC - September 15th, 2020
- The Guardians GPT-3-written article misleads readers about AI. Heres why. - TechTalks - September 15th, 2020
- What Is Yoga Nidra? Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - September 15th, 2020
- Deep Dive: What would it take to change UNCW's mind? [Free] - Port City Daily - September 14th, 2020
- Eternal Blizzard in the Tired Mind: Kaufman delves ever deeper into the human psyche - The Stanford Daily - September 14th, 2020
- SoftBanks Arm sale hits a snag as UK opposition party warns of risk to jobs and digital sovereignty - CNBC - September 14th, 2020
- Scientific Psi? Neuralink and the smarter brain - Covalence - September 14th, 2020
- How to regulate AI, according to the 1967 Outer Space Treaty - Quartz - September 14th, 2020
- Reporter's notebook/It's time to let the games begin - The Daily Times - September 14th, 2020
- DCPS students receive online instruction from teacher in Greece - The Owensboro Times - September 14th, 2020
- Expand your mind with access to over 1,000 lectures from Tim Ferriss, Malcolm Gladwell, and more - MarketWatch - August 28th, 2020
- Global Machine Learning Artificial intelligence Market 2025 To Expect Maximum Benefit and Growth Potential During this COVID 19 Outbreak: AIBrain,... - August 28th, 2020
- We criticize because we care - Observer Online - August 28th, 2020
- Exercising toward a healthy mind - Johns Hopkins News-Letter - August 28th, 2020
- 78 percent parents don't mind if children have to skip school year due to pandemic: Survey - EdexLive - August 28th, 2020
- TSMC and Graphcore Prepare for AI Acceleration on 3nm - AnandTech - August 28th, 2020
- Frank Njenga: Over 40 years of healing the mind - Business Daily - August 28th, 2020
- Emily Dickinson is the unlikely hero of our time - The Conversation US - August 28th, 2020
- Visiongain publishes Automation in Biopharma Industry 2020-2030 report - PR Newswire UK - August 26th, 2020
- Scoop: The Trump-Navarro mind meld on the FDA - Axios - August 26th, 2020