This is a moving story of human relationships, of ties of love that can bind and nurture, andsometimes, push away or stifle our dearest ones. The mightyBrahmaputra river flows by in the backdrop, nurturing the regions culture and people. This life-giving river can also bring floods and sorrow. Its duality is hinted at in beautifully-worded passages.
It is the 1980s and the state is in chaos ever since the All Assam Students Union took on the government on the issue of Bangladeshis being allowed not just to stay, but to vote.
The protests have the support of the public whodesire to fulfil what theboys had started; to make the government do its duty by expelling the illegal immigrants rather than arm them with voting and citizenship rights.
With this backdrop, the book tells the story of Rukmini who doesnt have an easy relationship with her parents, Usha and Tarun. In this charged political scenario,Rukminifalls in love with the wrong man.
A man who was not of her religion, let alone her caste, nor of her race, not from any region remotely near hers, and a man whose skin was dark... Usha predictably refuses to bless her daughter on her wedding day, whileher father and brother quietly support Rukminis marriage to Alex.
Rukmini leaves with him to her marital home in distant Bangalore. She remains a traitor to her mother for marrying an alien Malayalee.
Marriage to Alex and being in love changes Rukminis perceptions. But, the good times dont last and they part ways without acrimony.
The story turns to their daughter Loya, now 25, and with a mind of her own.
Without informing her mother, because she knows Rukmini will not give prior consent, Loya goes to Assam to pursue researchon the behaviour of wild elephants.
A deep urge drives Loya to break away from Rukmini and her post-divorce life and reconnect with the grandfather she has never known. Deliciously complex currents of love, longing, resentment, suspicion and forgiveness play out as Loya enters Taruns home unannounced.
Granddaughter and grandfather stalk each other like a pair of hungry lions, each with deep wounds needing healing. Usha has gone, leaving her legacy of coldness to Rukmini behind. Loya is moved to find every trace of Rukmini meticulously cleared from her parental home, as though she never existed. As she delves into this part of her mothers life, Loya forms a deeper understanding of Rukmini and of others who matter to her.
As the hostilities wane and glimmers of peace, love and forgiveness show, events take a tragic turn. Bombs blast and panicking crowds create havoc.
The mighty river welcomes its own into its fold. It takes away life, yet nurtures new shoots as life goes on. Rukmini returns home to her beloved river bank, to loss, sorrow, reconciliation, and perhaps, hope.
This is a story well told in a clear, confident voice. A worthwhile read, which leaves its impact long after the last page.
See original here:
Love that stifles... - Deccan Herald
- Validation and clinical applicability of a deep learning system for retinal disease (Tuesday, 10th August 2021) City, University of London - City,... - June 16th, 2021
- Physical works out the dark side of the mind in an honest way - Metro US - June 16th, 2021
- The Number One Voice Certain To Drive Your Leadership Off The Deep End - Forbes - June 16th, 2021
- Consumer Companies Bail on Non-Core Assets: "Deep is the New Wide" - Mergers & Acquisitions - June 16th, 2021
- Bengio Team Proposes Flow Network-Based Generative Models That Learn a Stochastic Policy From a Sequence of Actions - Synced - June 16th, 2021
- It's more than just skin-deep: Feel and look amazing with Bubble Skincare | Sponsored - Harvard Crimson - June 16th, 2021
- AI in Healthcare Market Drivers, Challenges, Opportunities and Competitive Strategy Over 2021-2031 | Nuance Communications, Inc., DeepMind... - June 16th, 2021
- NVIDIA and the battle for the future of AI chips - Wired.co.uk - June 16th, 2021
- Accelerating Deep Learning on the JVM with Apache Spark and NVIDIA GPUs - InfoQ.com - June 16th, 2021
- AI in Europe: Who's leading the way and where is it heading? - Siliconrepublic.com - June 16th, 2021
- Review: Bo Burnhams Inside is a successful depiction of a lonely mind - Los Angeles Times - June 16th, 2021
- Alma Allens biomorphic sculptures have minds of their own - Wallpaper* - June 16th, 2021
- AI In Healthcare Market Rapid Growth USD 120 Bn by 2028| IBM Corporation, NVIDIA Corporation, Nuance Communications, Microsoft, Intel Corporation,... - June 16th, 2021
- Microsoft & OneFlow Leverage the Efficient Coding Principle to Design Unsupervised DNN Structure-Learning That Outperforms Human-Designed... - June 4th, 2021
- Machine Learning Artificial intelligence Market Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends And Forecast To 2027 | AIBrain, Amazon, Anki,... - June 4th, 2021
- Mind the gap: why training is vital to pursuing transgender inclusion - TrainingZone.co.uk - June 4th, 2021
- Phaidra raises more cash from Mark Cuban and others to build the future of industrial automation - GeekWire - May 24th, 2021
- DeepMind reportedly lost a yearslong bid to win more independence from Google - The Verge - May 24th, 2021
- Aging With Honor and Dignity: An Intuitive Approach for Men - The Good Men Project - May 24th, 2021
- Damien Harris clearly wouldn't mind a trade that lands Julio Jones with Patriots - Patriots Wire - May 24th, 2021
- AI in Healthcare Market Rugged Expansion Foreseen by 2031 | Nuance Communications, Inc., DeepMind Technologies Limited, IBM Corporation The Courier -... - May 24th, 2021
- AI in Healthcare Market in deep Research about Growth & Competitive Analysis by 2021-2031 | Nuance Communications, Inc., DeepMind Technologies... - May 24th, 2021
- Dallas Comedy House Will Reopen With a New Name and Look - Eater Dallas - May 24th, 2021
- 3 Major Benefits of a Long-Term Insurance Carrier Relationship - Senior Housing News - May 24th, 2021
- IoT Cloud Company Tuya Smart Holds Meeting on Fast-tracked Connectivity and Innovation Amid COVID-19 Pandemic - Synced - May 24th, 2021
- DeepMind extends hunt for the worlds best A.I. researchers to Toronto - CNBC - May 10th, 2021
- ECO V2 by Pangeanic: Deep Adaptive Machine Translation Document Translator and Anonymization Solution - PRNewswire - May 10th, 2021
- Matters of the Mind: Compassion fatigue, vicarious trauma and hopelessness - The Indian Express - May 10th, 2021
- Prison education alums work with undergrads on theater piece | Cornell Chronicle - Cornell Chronicle - May 10th, 2021
- AI in Healthcare Market Insights, Deep Analysis of Key Vendor in the Industry 2021-2030 | Nuance Communications, Inc., DeepMind Technologies Limited,... - May 2nd, 2021
- Matisse & Sadko unveil the mind bending progressive tune 'Heal Me' - We Rave You - May 2nd, 2021
- The Deep-Sea Podcast review: The mind-boggling mysteries of the deep - New Scientist - May 1st, 2021
- Three Books: Zena Hitz *05 on a Life of the Mind - Princeton Alumni Weekly - May 1st, 2021
- Flavor 1st has Georgia on its mind | Produce News - TheProduceNews.com - May 1st, 2021
- Young attorney digs deep to make a genuine mark in the profession - Loop News Jamaica - May 1st, 2021
- Figures of Speech: 40 Ways to Improve your Writing - Visual Capitalist - May 1st, 2021
- Tony Bailie's Take on Nature: Bear in mind the simple principles of Leave No Trace - The Irish News - May 1st, 2021
- Food & Wine names 10 best pizza states in America and New York isnt in the top spot - KXAN.com - May 1st, 2021
- Essence Group Announces 'Peace of Mind' Strategy as Top Objective of All Future IoT Products and Services - PRNewswire - April 28th, 2021
- Centring of The Mind - Economic Times - April 28th, 2021
- PLU professors and students dive deep into the psychology of the pandemic - Pacific Lutheran University - April 28th, 2021
- Derby Undercard: Eclipse Winner Whitmore is a fan favorite in deep field of 13 for the Churchill Downs - Past The Wire - April 28th, 2021
- How Luxury Travel Is Leading the Recovery: A Skift Deep Dive - Skift - April 28th, 2021
- 'I recall it with deep despair': North Sea marks five years since Norway helicopter crash - News for the Oil and Gas Sector - Energy Voice - April 28th, 2021
- Single-Use Plastics Found at the Deepest Points of the Ocean - Technology Networks - April 28th, 2021
- Global Ai In Healthcare Market Top 10 Key players in 2021 |DeepMind Technologies Limited, IBM Corporation, Nuance Communications Inc, Microsoft,... - April 28th, 2021
- Has pharma missed the boat? - PharmaTimes - April 28th, 2021
- BlanQuil weighted blankets: Products and brand review - Medical News Today - April 28th, 2021
- A New Book Explores the Connections Between Music, Physics, and Neuroscience - Columbia University - April 28th, 2021
- Global Mindfulness Meditation Apps Market (2020) to Witness Huge Growth by 2026 | Deep Relax, Smiling Mind, Inner Explorer, Inc., Committee for... - April 19th, 2021
- Line of Duty, season 6 episode 5 recap: Davidson is in deep but who fired those cliffhanger shots? - The Telegraph - April 19th, 2021
- Calvin University Selects Noah Toly As Provost - News - Calvin News - April 19th, 2021
- I'm an insomniac who's tried everything from meds to sleep sprays. This meditation app is the only thing that' - Business Insider India - April 19th, 2021
- 'We've had this in mind for some time' - Gosden aims for another Blue Riband win - Racing Post - April 19th, 2021
- What two pieces of unrelated pop culture are forever connected in your mind? - The A.V. Club - April 19th, 2021
- Bringing China-US ties where they need to be - Chinadaily.com.cn - China Daily - April 8th, 2021
- Deep in the heart of the Texas Butterfly Ranch - The Picayune - April 8th, 2021
- Cultivating a Diverse and Inclusive Culture: Recruiting - ATD - ATD - ATD - April 8th, 2021
- The Mavericks Who Brought AI to the World - Review of Genius Makers by Cade Metz - Forbes - April 8th, 2021
- 'I can't unsee them': Rockland woman copes with trauma from Haiti earthquake by writing - Enterprise News - April 8th, 2021
- Q&A: How The Atlantic's Ed Yong navigated a year of deep coronavirus coverage - Poynter - April 8th, 2021
- Healthcare AI Market 2021 Is Rapidly Increasing Worldwide in Near Future | Top Companies Analysis- Apple, GE Healthcare, Google Deepmind Health, IBM... - April 8th, 2021
- Easter is when we go deep into the enduring stories of death and life - The National - April 4th, 2021
- How Open Source is Driving the Future of Data Science - RTInsights - April 4th, 2021
- Space Regime in Deep Distress: Experts The Diplomat - The Diplomat - April 4th, 2021
- Gulf News webinar to focus on fasting with health conditions during Ramadan | Uae - Gulf News - April 4th, 2021
- When it rains, it floods, and you better know what to do - Columbia Daily Herald - April 4th, 2021
- Opera Meets Film: How Opera is Used to Immerse Us Deeper into Anthony's Mind in 'The Father' - OperaWire - April 2nd, 2021
- Dive Deep Into These Mind-Blowing Underwater Photographer of the Year Entries - Yahoo News - April 2nd, 2021
- Sunfield Farm and Waldorf School dig deep to the root of learning - Port Townsend Leader - April 2nd, 2021
- Dear Eonni: A Filipino UAENA respects Lilac singer IU as a lyricist because her songs are 'active and awake' - PINKVILLA - April 2nd, 2021
- AI in Healthcare Market Is Set to Experience Revolutionary Growth by 2030 | Nuance Communications, Inc., DeepMind Technologies Limited KSU | The... - April 2nd, 2021
- Brain Tracking: Unraveling Mysteries of the Human Mind - WGEM - April 2nd, 2021
- On My Mind: The Solution To Gun Violence? More Guns, Apparently - WFAE - April 2nd, 2021
- System on Chips And The Modern Day Motherboards - Analytics India Magazine - April 2nd, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence Drug R&D: Market By New Business Developments, Innovations, And Top Companies Forecast To 2025 | Gatehouse Bio, Google... - April 2nd, 2021
- Artificial intelligence kept expanding through a turbulent year, with some exceptions - ZDNet - March 21st, 2021
- The Book Corner: The Deep by Rivers Solomon, Daveed Diggs, William Hutson, and Jonathan Snipes - University Press - March 21st, 2021
- 12-foot-deep sinkhole 'accidentally' discovered near Williams Arts Center The Lafayette - The Lafayette - March 21st, 2021
- DeepMind is building a team of A.I. researchers in New York - CNBC - March 16th, 2021