The COVID-19 pandemic is a prodigious global health crisis and perhaps the greatest challenge the world has seen ever since World War II. It has the potential to create devastating social, economic and political crises that will leave deep scars in the pages of world history. A lot of it can already be seen: Employment issues, recession, economic hit, migrant labour crisis, lack of jobs, no liquidity, cash crunch, breaking of supply chains and many such problems.
With the alarming rise in cases in India, even the youth are now beginning to re-think their future prospects because of the uncertainty that the pandemic has led us to. Times like these lead us to evaluate and introspect on what can be done to protect our loved ones.
Irrespective of age, sex, caste, creed, ethnicity, geographical differences and other factors, individuals are now interested in understanding the law governing the drafting, interpretation and execution of a will. In this background, we shall now attempt to understand the importance and the consequences of writing a will.
Understanding the legal document
A will is a legal declaration of the intention of a testator (the author) with respect to property which she desires to be carried into effect after their death. Every person of sound mind not being a minor is entitled in law to dispose of his property by writing a will.
Codicil, on the other hand, is a written instrument made in relation to a will, explaining, altering or adding to its dispositions, and is deemed and stated to form part of the will.
A will is liable to be revoked or altered by the testator at any time as long as she is competent to dispose of her property by will. A will or any part of a will, the making of which has been caused by fraud or coercion, or by such importunity as takes away the free agency of the testator, is void and cannot be enforced in law.
The Indian Succession Act, 1925 is the codified law applicable and governing the law of succession and in case of any dispute, one has to look at the provisions, the interpretation and the jurisprudential developments under this law.
A will can be written at any time during the lifetime of a person but can be executed only after the death of the testator. A will can be changed a number of times and there is no legal restriction on it. However, it is advisable to not make very frequent changes for several legal reasons. A will can also be withdrawn or cancelled by the testator at any time during their lifetime.
The testator should mandatorily sign or affix his mark to the will. In case of incapability, it can be signed by some other person in his presence and under his directions. This marks the intension to give effect to the writing of the document as a will, which should be attested by two or more witnesses, each of whom should have seen the testator signing the will.
However, suspicion may arise where the signature is doubtful or when the testator is of feeble mind or is overawed by powerful minds interested in getting her property or where the disposition appears to be unnatural, improbable and unfair or where there are other reasons to doubt the testators free will and mind. The nature and quality of proof must commensurate with such essentiality so as to remove any suspicion which a reasonable or prudent man may, in the prevailing circumstances, entertain.
Registration of a will
From a reading of Sections 17 and 18 of the Registration Act, 1908 which mandates registration of legal documents and instruments and provides a conclusive list it can be seen that the registration of a will is not compulsory. However, from a practical perspective, it is strongly advisable to register one to avoid any conflict or future litigation.
Mere non-registration cannot be a reason to doubt the validity or genuineness of a will. However, the doubt as to the validity of a will would be less significant if it is registered and the sub-registrar certifies that it was read over to the executor who, on doing so, has admitted the contents as well.
Once a will is registered, there is no scope for destruction, alteration or tampering with the document. More importantly, there is no stamp duty payable on registration and hence no overhead/hidden costs are involved. Therefore it is advisable that a will is registered.
Validity of a will
While there is no specified format, to avoid litigation and disputes, it is advisable that the will is written in clear, precise terms and the intension of the testator is mentioned with clarity of thought, precision and accuracy. Usage of technical words or terms of art are not only unnecessary but should be discouraged. The language used should be simple, leaving no scope for ambiguity. Doubtfulness, vagueness and ambivalence are all aspects to be completely avoided when drafting a will.
A declaration that it is the first and last written will and that it is devoid of any coercion, fraud and the testator understands the consequences of writing and executing the will are some points which help protect the integrity of the document. Mentioning that the testator has a disposing state of mind and has understood the nature and effect of the dispositions should also be emphasised upon.
All details of the assets/properties should be mentioned clearly to avoid disputes as to their identification and inclusion/exclusion. All details of the beneficiaries should also be mentioned. If the testator intends to appoint an executor who, after the death of the testator, will be responsible to ensure that assets/properties are distributed as per the will, then such intention to appoint an executor and her details thereof should also be clearly mentioned in the will.
The meaning of any clause in a will is to be collected from the entire instrument, and all its parts are to be construed with reference to each other. If the same words occur in different parts of the same will, they should be taken to have been used everywhere in the same sense. Lastly, the intentions of the testator need to be respected and should be given paramount importance when interpreting or executing a will.
It is with a deep heart and an un-willing state of mind that one wishes to talk, inquire and understand about the law of wills and its governance in India. COVID-19 has turned our world upside down. As they famously say, Better late than never. Perhaps it is time for some of us to start thinking on these lines, for the security, safety and protection of our loved ones, which have taken paramount importance in these troubled and dark times.
Ananya Kapoor is an advocate, Delhi high court and specializes in civil, tax and commercial litigation and estate planning. She can be reached at email@example.com
- DeepMind extends hunt for the worlds best A.I. researchers to Toronto - CNBC - May 10th, 2021
- ECO V2 by Pangeanic: Deep Adaptive Machine Translation Document Translator and Anonymization Solution - PRNewswire - May 10th, 2021
- Matters of the Mind: Compassion fatigue, vicarious trauma and hopelessness - The Indian Express - May 10th, 2021
- Prison education alums work with undergrads on theater piece | Cornell Chronicle - Cornell Chronicle - May 10th, 2021
- AI in Healthcare Market Insights, Deep Analysis of Key Vendor in the Industry 2021-2030 | Nuance Communications, Inc., DeepMind Technologies Limited,... - May 2nd, 2021
- Matisse & Sadko unveil the mind bending progressive tune 'Heal Me' - We Rave You - May 2nd, 2021
- The Deep-Sea Podcast review: The mind-boggling mysteries of the deep - New Scientist - May 1st, 2021
- Three Books: Zena Hitz *05 on a Life of the Mind - Princeton Alumni Weekly - May 1st, 2021
- Flavor 1st has Georgia on its mind | Produce News - TheProduceNews.com - May 1st, 2021
- Young attorney digs deep to make a genuine mark in the profession - Loop News Jamaica - May 1st, 2021
- Figures of Speech: 40 Ways to Improve your Writing - Visual Capitalist - May 1st, 2021
- Tony Bailie's Take on Nature: Bear in mind the simple principles of Leave No Trace - The Irish News - May 1st, 2021
- Food & Wine names 10 best pizza states in America and New York isnt in the top spot - KXAN.com - May 1st, 2021
- Essence Group Announces 'Peace of Mind' Strategy as Top Objective of All Future IoT Products and Services - PRNewswire - April 28th, 2021
- Centring of The Mind - Economic Times - April 28th, 2021
- PLU professors and students dive deep into the psychology of the pandemic - Pacific Lutheran University - April 28th, 2021
- Derby Undercard: Eclipse Winner Whitmore is a fan favorite in deep field of 13 for the Churchill Downs - Past The Wire - April 28th, 2021
- How Luxury Travel Is Leading the Recovery: A Skift Deep Dive - Skift - April 28th, 2021
- 'I recall it with deep despair': North Sea marks five years since Norway helicopter crash - News for the Oil and Gas Sector - Energy Voice - April 28th, 2021
- Single-Use Plastics Found at the Deepest Points of the Ocean - Technology Networks - April 28th, 2021
- Global Ai In Healthcare Market Top 10 Key players in 2021 |DeepMind Technologies Limited, IBM Corporation, Nuance Communications Inc, Microsoft,... - April 28th, 2021
- Has pharma missed the boat? - PharmaTimes - April 28th, 2021
- BlanQuil weighted blankets: Products and brand review - Medical News Today - April 28th, 2021
- A New Book Explores the Connections Between Music, Physics, and Neuroscience - Columbia University - April 28th, 2021
- Global Mindfulness Meditation Apps Market (2020) to Witness Huge Growth by 2026 | Deep Relax, Smiling Mind, Inner Explorer, Inc., Committee for... - April 19th, 2021
- Line of Duty, season 6 episode 5 recap: Davidson is in deep but who fired those cliffhanger shots? - The Telegraph - April 19th, 2021
- Calvin University Selects Noah Toly As Provost - News - Calvin News - April 19th, 2021
- I'm an insomniac who's tried everything from meds to sleep sprays. This meditation app is the only thing that' - Business Insider India - April 19th, 2021
- 'We've had this in mind for some time' - Gosden aims for another Blue Riband win - Racing Post - April 19th, 2021
- What two pieces of unrelated pop culture are forever connected in your mind? - The A.V. Club - April 19th, 2021
- Bringing China-US ties where they need to be - Chinadaily.com.cn - China Daily - April 8th, 2021
- Deep in the heart of the Texas Butterfly Ranch - The Picayune - April 8th, 2021
- Cultivating a Diverse and Inclusive Culture: Recruiting - ATD - ATD - ATD - April 8th, 2021
- The Mavericks Who Brought AI to the World - Review of Genius Makers by Cade Metz - Forbes - April 8th, 2021
- 'I can't unsee them': Rockland woman copes with trauma from Haiti earthquake by writing - Enterprise News - April 8th, 2021
- Q&A: How The Atlantic's Ed Yong navigated a year of deep coronavirus coverage - Poynter - April 8th, 2021
- Healthcare AI Market 2021 Is Rapidly Increasing Worldwide in Near Future | Top Companies Analysis- Apple, GE Healthcare, Google Deepmind Health, IBM... - April 8th, 2021
- Easter is when we go deep into the enduring stories of death and life - The National - April 4th, 2021
- How Open Source is Driving the Future of Data Science - RTInsights - April 4th, 2021
- Space Regime in Deep Distress: Experts The Diplomat - The Diplomat - April 4th, 2021
- Gulf News webinar to focus on fasting with health conditions during Ramadan | Uae - Gulf News - April 4th, 2021
- When it rains, it floods, and you better know what to do - Columbia Daily Herald - April 4th, 2021
- Opera Meets Film: How Opera is Used to Immerse Us Deeper into Anthony's Mind in 'The Father' - OperaWire - April 2nd, 2021
- Dive Deep Into These Mind-Blowing Underwater Photographer of the Year Entries - Yahoo News - April 2nd, 2021
- Sunfield Farm and Waldorf School dig deep to the root of learning - Port Townsend Leader - April 2nd, 2021
- Dear Eonni: A Filipino UAENA respects Lilac singer IU as a lyricist because her songs are 'active and awake' - PINKVILLA - April 2nd, 2021
- AI in Healthcare Market Is Set to Experience Revolutionary Growth by 2030 | Nuance Communications, Inc., DeepMind Technologies Limited KSU | The... - April 2nd, 2021
- Brain Tracking: Unraveling Mysteries of the Human Mind - WGEM - April 2nd, 2021
- On My Mind: The Solution To Gun Violence? More Guns, Apparently - WFAE - April 2nd, 2021
- System on Chips And The Modern Day Motherboards - Analytics India Magazine - April 2nd, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence Drug R&D: Market By New Business Developments, Innovations, And Top Companies Forecast To 2025 | Gatehouse Bio, Google... - April 2nd, 2021
- Artificial intelligence kept expanding through a turbulent year, with some exceptions - ZDNet - March 21st, 2021
- The Book Corner: The Deep by Rivers Solomon, Daveed Diggs, William Hutson, and Jonathan Snipes - University Press - March 21st, 2021
- 12-foot-deep sinkhole 'accidentally' discovered near Williams Arts Center The Lafayette - The Lafayette - March 21st, 2021
- DeepMind is building a team of A.I. researchers in New York - CNBC - March 16th, 2021
- AI & Robotics in the Global Defense Industry to Reach $61 Billion by 2027 - Robotics Anticipated to Account for the Largest Share of Expenditure -... - March 16th, 2021
- Your horoscope for the week ahead: Mercury enters reflective Pisces allowing deep insights to flourish - CBC.ca - March 16th, 2021
- The Father (2021) Movie Review | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - March 16th, 2021
- On My Mind: Paying Our Emotional Bills - WFAE - March 16th, 2021
- The Secret Auction that Set Off the Race for AI Supremacy - WIRED - March 16th, 2021
- AI in Healthcare Market Growth Opportunities Witnessed Around the World to Support Expansion by 2030 | DeepMind Technologies Limited, IBM Corporation,... - March 16th, 2021
- Tai Chi vs. Yoga: What To Know About These Mind-Body Practices - Women's Health - March 16th, 2021
- From a Faith Perspective: Daylight Savings Time reminds us the long winter of COVID is almost over - Bucks County Courier Times - March 16th, 2021
- Fire Brings Down The Internet, NFT Mania And More: Weekly Top News - Analytics India Magazine - March 16th, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence Is A Gamechanger In The Battery Boom - OilPrice.com - March 16th, 2021
- Cold shower? The routine of the most productive people when they wake up - Entrepreneur - March 16th, 2021
- AI in Healthcare Market Huge Business Opportunity, Size growth, Top Leaders Acquisition analysis by 2030 | Nuance Communications, Inc., DeepMind... - March 16th, 2021
- Mind your head - Law Society of Ireland Gazette - March 16th, 2021
- Mind Cure Health Appoints Rob Hill To Board Of Directors - The Deep Dive - February 28th, 2021
- Quotes of the quarter: Pipeline executives talk energy transition, deep freeze - S&P Global - February 28th, 2021
- Billie Eilish: The Worlds A Little Blurry review: inside the mind of pops teen pioneer - NME.com - February 28th, 2021
- Why Plug Power Stock Is Deep in the Red Today - Motley Fool - February 28th, 2021
- WandaVision Recap: How Wanda Became the Scarlet Witch - The Ringer - February 28th, 2021
- Deeper Study on Breathing and Five Important Deep Breathing Techniques - Part 1: NJ Reddy, YPV Sadhana - Free Press Journal - February 28th, 2021
- From vision to reality: the rise of Artificial Intelligence in the healthcare sector - Health Europa - February 16th, 2021
- Henry Louis Gates Jr. takes viewers on a deep and joyous journey through history of 'The Black Church' - Worcester Telegram - February 16th, 2021
- Who Are the Covid Investigators? - The Wall Street Journal - February 16th, 2021
- AI in Healthcare Market Growth Strategies And Competition Background Through 2020 To 2030 | Nuance Communications, Inc., DeepMind Technologies... - February 16th, 2021
- Inside the five-year battle food companies have fought to resist stricter labelling norms - Mint - February 16th, 2021
- Mind Cure Sees Warrants Approved For Trading | the deep dive - The Deep Dive - February 16th, 2021