Suggesting readings to patients is a well-known tool utilized in psychotherapy to help an individual gain understanding, insight, empathy and move towards self-growth.
Mint asked three psychotherapists to share recommended reading for those who are interested in knowing more about psychology; interestingly, they recommended not just the best of non-fiction writing from the field but works of fiction as well, including the Harry Potter books! Put these on the to-read list if youre curious about the life of the mind.
DR NOUFAL HAMEED, Clinical Psychologist, IIM Kozhikode
Many of my clients report existential issues, and the book Mans Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl is one that I have suggested very often. A couple of times, I have suggested the Harry Potter novels ! In fact, compared to many books that claim to be therapeutic, I find the Harry Potter books really useful and therapeutic. A few other top picks:
Social Psychology by Robert Baron: Provides immense insight into the functioning of the human mind, and a book I think must be taught in higher education, irrespective of the field of study.
Mans Search For Meaning by Viktor Frankl: The author, an Austrian neurologist and psychotherapist, writes a memoir of his experiences in Nazi concentration camps as he builds his own deeper understanding of psychotherapy.
Radical Compassion by Tara Brach: This book talks in-depth about the RAIN meditation technique (Recognize, Allow, Investigate, Nurture) and how it can help one deal with feelings of loss, overwhelm, self-aversion and painful relationships.
The Courage to Be Disliked by Ichiro Kishimi and Fumitake Koga: The authors look at how self-acceptance, freeing oneself from the past, doubts and others expectations can help us carve the path towards the future on our own terms.
Flow by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi: The book talks about optimal experience, a state of consciousness where people typically experience deep enjoyment, creativity, and a total involvement with life. Mihaly talks about how this state can be unlocked and controlled to discover true happiness and unlock our potential.
DIVYA SRIVASTAVA, Counselling Psychologist and Founder of Silver Lining Wellness Centre, Mumbai
When I was in class 10, I read Tell Me Your Dreams by Sidney Sheldon. While it was a murder mystery, the book motivated me to study psychology, for it was in this book that I first grasped the extent to which trauma can impact an individual and learnt about dissociative identity disorder. So, I definitely believe that books can help spread mental health awareness, and this includes novels as well. Here are some books that are a must-read if you are interested in human psychology:
Loves Executioner And Other Tales of Psychotherapy by Irvin Yalom: Yalom provides a wonderful insight into the relationship between the therapist and the client as the latter shares their stories and therapists balance their all-too-human responses and sensibilities as a therapist.
The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides: A psychological thriller that through its fast-paced plot subtly portrays the impact of childhood trauma and insecure attachment patterns on relationships and the ways in which we process and filter information about ourselves, others, and the world.
Britt-Marie Was Here by Fredrik Backman: Simply for readers to understand that we never know whats going on in a persons internal world, and why we should not make snap judgments just because someone seems peculiar and different. Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman is another popular novel that illustrates these themes beautifully.
The Body Keeps The Score: Brain, Mind and Body In The Healing of Trauma by Bessel van der Kolk: The author compassionately talks about trauma, how it can shape every aspect of our psychology as well as physiology (the mind-body connection that Western medicine does not talk about adequately), and how it is important to combine talk therapies with other strategies like Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) to break trauma cycles. (Trigger warning: Includes themes of trauma, abuse and violence).
DR NIVEDITA CHALLIL, Founder, ARTH Counselling Center, Mumbai
Media influences society and society influences the media. Books can be entertaining, informative, and when they are well-written and engaging, the stories some books contain have the power to elicit empathy and make people more aware of new worlds and new ideas, mental health being one of them. These well-written books do create that window of understanding:
In Love With The World: A Monks Journey Through The Bardos Of Living And Dying by Helen Tworkov and Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche: This book highlights the near-death experience of a monk and how that life-changing experience helps him gain wisdom. It talks about the death of both the ego and the body.
Maybe You Should Talk To Someone by Laurie Gottlieb: This is a unique book as it provides insight into the mind of a therapist who is a patient herself and is in therapy. Laurie Gottlieb has her own trauma that hasnt healed yet and the book has accounts of her own counselling sessions interspersed with anecdotes and insights from sessions with her clients as well.
When Things Fall Apart by Pema Chdrn: This book is a classic, especially for the times we are in. Chdrn talks about how spiritual practices linked to Buddhism can help one achieve personal growth even in the most difficult times in our lives. She throws light on how we can embrace pain, and at the same time, cultivate wisdom, courage and compassion.
Daring Greatly by Bren Brown: Thought-leader Bren Brown offers a refreshing perspective to vulnerability in this book by reminding us that vulnerability is not a weakness and can be used to fuel courage.
Beyond Religion by His Holiness, The Dalai Lama: This book is a timeless manual for living, and offers a roadmap for dealing with disruptive emotions.
Read the original:
The ultimate reading list if you love to delve into the mind - Livemint
- GitHub - deepmind/deepmind-research: This repository ... - October 22nd, 2021
- Why DeepMind Acquired This Robotics Startup - Analytics India Magazine - October 22nd, 2021
- Deeper Is Not Necessarily Better: Princeton U & Intel's 12-Layer Parallel Networks Achieve Performance Competitive With SOTA Deep Networks -... - October 22nd, 2021
- How AI is reinventing what computers are - MIT Technology Review - October 22nd, 2021
- Incorporating This Into Your Daily Routine Can Bolster Your Brain Health & Mood - mindbodygreen.com - October 22nd, 2021
- The Ideal Color To Surround Yourself With Right Now, According To Astrologers - mindbodygreen.com - October 22nd, 2021
- A.I. Predicts the Shapes of Molecules to Come - The New ... - October 20th, 2021
- These weird virtual creatures evolve their bodies to solve problems - MIT Technology Review - October 20th, 2021
- As Great Resignation Draws On, Smaller Teams and Larger Workloads, Concerns Over Retention Top of Mind for Leaders - Business Wire - October 20th, 2021
- Global Mindfulness Meditation Apps Market 2021 Industry Insights and Major Players are Deep Relax, Smiling Mind, Inner Explorer, Inc. Radford... - October 15th, 2021
- Google Proposes ARDMs: Efficient Autoregressive Models That Learn to Generate in any Order - Synced - October 15th, 2021
- Here's what's big for AI this year, according to the annual State of AI report - Morning Brew - October 15th, 2021
- Google DeepMind AI: Heres how it can bring a revolution in weather forecasting - Yahoo Singapore News - October 12th, 2021
- Now AI Tells You If It Will Pour In The Next Two Hours - Analytics India Magazine - October 12th, 2021
- Global Blockchain Technology in Healthcare Market (2021 to 2026) - Featuring Accenture, Capgemini and DeepMind Health Among Others -... - October 12th, 2021
- 10 Most Popular Google AI Projects that Everyone Should Know - Analytics Insight - October 12th, 2021
- How this company is using data-driven drug discovery to fight disease - The Globe and Mail - October 12th, 2021
- DeepMind tells Google it has no idea how to make AI less toxic - The Next Web - September 23rd, 2021
- There are some important things to keep in mind for first time home buyers - KTBS - September 23rd, 2021
- Easy exploring: The best things to do in Deep Cove | Curated - Daily Hive - September 23rd, 2021
- The Secrets of The Worlds Greatest Freediver - GQ Magazine - September 23rd, 2021
- How to find peace of mind during the COVID-19 pandemic's delta surge | Opinion - Tennessean - September 23rd, 2021
- WONDERFUL THINGS: Perfect peace in a troubled world from Jesus - Destin Log - September 23rd, 2021
- The Best Social Media Reactions and Memes at the 2021 Met Gala - Yahoo Lifestyle - September 15th, 2021
- Researchers lay the groundwork for an AI hive mind - The Next Web - September 15th, 2021
- Infinite Memory Transformer: Attending to Arbitrarily Long Contexts Without Increasing Computation Burden - Synced - September 15th, 2021
- It takes a village: how Asics got a small town to lace up and raise money for Mind UK - The Drum - September 15th, 2021
- EY study deep dives into financial protection gap - Insurance Business - September 15th, 2021
- Peptone: Putting molecular physics at the heart of UK's next billion-pound pharma company - Yahoo Money - September 15th, 2021
- Vigil episode four recap Silva and the crew are in deep water - The Guardian - September 13th, 2021
- How to cultivate a 'big mind' to deal with everyday stresses | HeraldNet.com - The Daily Herald - September 13th, 2021
- THE BOOK NOOK: Deep behind the scenes of 9/11 - Niagara Gazette - September 13th, 2021
- How 7 years of dirt is deep cleaned from mattresses - Insider - September 13th, 2021
- A therapy called rhythm that creates impact on the body and the mind - Onmanorama - September 13th, 2021
- Bidens abortion clash with the Catholic Church - POLITICO - September 13th, 2021
- God's mysterious riches, wisdom, and knowledge - Leawood - Church of the Resurrection - September 13th, 2021
- Google pulls the plug on DeepMind-developed health app Streams - Business Insider - September 1st, 2021
- Where the mind is without fear - The Times of India Blog - September 1st, 2021
- Global Cognitive Computing in Retail Market, By Component, By Technology, By Deployment, By Application, By Region, Competition Forecast &... - September 1st, 2021
- U.S. households and small businesses have stockpiled a mind-blowing record cash pile of almost $17 trillion - MarketWatch - August 26th, 2021
- What would it be like to be a conscious AI? We might never know. - MIT Technology Review - August 26th, 2021
- Google Health Disbanded; Staff Sent To Other Divisions - Silicon UK - August 26th, 2021
- Zen and the art of fly-fishing in Sweden a photo essay - The Guardian - August 26th, 2021
- 7 Ways to Stop Racing Thoughts at Night and Get to Sleep - Livestrong - August 26th, 2021
- Possumhaw: Out of sight, out of mind - The Dispatch - The Commercial Dispatch - August 24th, 2021
- UK aims to boost solar by predicting cloud movements with A.I. - CNBC - August 24th, 2021
- This Special Nature Writing Ritual Will Connect You To Your Divine Feminine - mindbodygreen.com - August 24th, 2021
- Shipwrecked: A Shocking Tale of Love, Loss, and Survival in the Deep Blue Sea - Boston magazine - August 24th, 2021
- AllDay notes after deeper reading of the prospectus - Philstar.com - August 24th, 2021
- UCSD & Microsoft Improve Image Recognition With Extremely Low FLOPs - Synced - August 24th, 2021
- Are These the Hidden Deepfakes in the Anthony Bourdain Movie? - WIRED - August 24th, 2021
- Scientists report new findings on the role that fish play in balancing coral, algae on reefs - ASU Now - August 24th, 2021
- Accurate prediction of protein structures and interactions using a three-track neural network - Science Magazine - August 22nd, 2021
- The Wonders That Live at the Very Bottom of the Sea - The New York Times - August 22nd, 2021
- Tamo J is 'digging up deep-rooted issues' in therapy - Jamaica Gleaner - August 22nd, 2021
- How to use 'progressive muscle relaxation' to calms stress and ease anxiety - GLAMOUR UK - August 22nd, 2021
- Review: 'Sister Sorry' plunges deep into a shadowy abyss of the psyche. But are its characters worth caring about? - Berkshire Eagle - August 22nd, 2021
- Always on your mind - The New Indian Express - August 22nd, 2021
- This Former Pastor Is Changing Evangelicals' Minds on COVID Vaccines Mother Jones - Mother Jones - August 22nd, 2021
- How DeepMind's John Jumper unlocked the 3D secret to proteins - Fast Company - August 14th, 2021
- How to avoid falling asleep during meditation - The Indian Express - August 14th, 2021
- A New Review of Dozens of Studies Found These Are the 8 Most Effective Ways to Stop Worrying and Calm Your Mind - Inc. - August 14th, 2021
- Four Policies that Government Can Pursue to Advance Trustworthy AI - uschamber.com - August 14th, 2021
- England vs India 2nd Test, Day 3 as it happened: Roots marathon ton guides hosts to 27-run lead - Scroll.in - August 14th, 2021
- Deshbhakti Curriculum to be implemented in Delhi Govt schools. Here is what it will cover - Mint - August 14th, 2021
- Trouble at Google's DeepMind and tech workers not going back to the office - Business Insider - August 8th, 2021
- Embodied AI, superintelligence and the master algorithm - TechCrunch - August 8th, 2021
- Alserkal is serving up isolation tanks and other mind altering activities this month - Time Out Dubai - August 8th, 2021
- Tshola had a generous heart and mind - IOL - August 8th, 2021
- Keeping the faith: Remembering gratitude can help us extend love to others, transform world - The Columbus Dispatch - August 8th, 2021
- AI use cases are expanding and evolving in healthcare - Tech Wire Asia - August 1st, 2021
- DeepMind releases massive database of 3D protein structures - STAT - STAT - July 25th, 2021
- DeepMinds AI uncovers structure of 98.5 per cent of human proteins - News Nation USA - July 25th, 2021
- Good Morning, News: $600000 Settlement for 2017 PPB Killing, Deep Pockets Try Influencing MultCo DA, and Everything is GREAT at the Olympics! - The... - July 25th, 2021
- DeepMind open-sources AlphaFold 2 for protein structure predictions - VentureBeat - July 21st, 2021
- DeepMind's AlphaFold 2 reveal: Convolutions are out, attention is in - ZDNet - July 21st, 2021
- AI in Healthcare Market Growing Trade Among Emerging Economies Opening New Opportunities (2021-2031) | Nuance Communications, Inc., DeepMind... - July 21st, 2021
- Self-driving data centres: Managing the transition from human-to-AI workload management - IT Brief Australia - July 21st, 2021
- The scene is set | Royal St George's | The 149th Open - The Open - July 14th, 2021
- Tech Companies Leading the Cognitive Computing Race in 2021 - Analytics Insight - July 14th, 2021