LONDON The U.K. is planning to use artificial intelligence software to try to better predict when cloud movements will affect solar power generation.
National Grid Electricity System Operator, or ESO, which moves electricity around the country, has signed a deal with non-profit Open Climate Fix to create an AI-powered tracking system that matches cloud movements with the exact locations of solar panels.
The grid operator said that the software, which is set to be used in the national control room, could help it to forecast cloud movements in minutes and hours instead of days.
Open Climate Fix's "nowcasting" technology has the potential to improve solar forecasting accuracy by up to 50%, a spokesperson for National Grid ESO told CNBC.
The project, which commenced in August, is set to last 18 months and it is being funded by U.K. energy regulator Ofgem with 500,000 ($683,100).
Natonal Grid ESO is responsible for maintaining the balance of supply and demand for the U.K. electricity grid down to the second.
This is challenging with fossil fuels and nuclear power, but the unpredictable nature of solar and wind makes the task even more complex.
To help address the issue, London-headquartered Open Climate Fix says it has trained a machine-learning model to read satellite images and understand how and where clouds are moving in relation to solar panels on the ground.
"Accurate forecasts for weather-dependent generation like solar and wind are vital for us in operating a low carbon electricity system," said Carolina Tortora, head of innovation strategy and digital transformation at National Grid ESO, in a statement last week.
"The more confidence we have in our forecasts, the less we'll have to cover for uncertainty by keeping traditional, more controllable fossil fuel plants ticking over," she added.
Co-founded by former DeepMind employee Jack Kelly in 2018, Open Climate Fix was backed by Google's philanthropic arm, Google.org, with 500,000 in April.
At one point, DeepMind wanted to use its own AI technology to optimize National Grid. However, last March, it emerged that talks had broken down between DeepMind and National Grid.
While DeepMind denies it has shifted its focus from climate change to other areas of science, several key climate change researchers that were part of the company's energy unit have left the company over the last two years, and it has made few climate change-related announcements.
View original post here:
UK aims to boost solar by predicting cloud movements with A.I. - CNBC
- GitHub - deepmind/deepmind-research: This repository ... - October 22nd, 2021
- Why DeepMind Acquired This Robotics Startup - Analytics India Magazine - October 22nd, 2021
- Deeper Is Not Necessarily Better: Princeton U & Intel's 12-Layer Parallel Networks Achieve Performance Competitive With SOTA Deep Networks -... - October 22nd, 2021
- How AI is reinventing what computers are - MIT Technology Review - October 22nd, 2021
- Incorporating This Into Your Daily Routine Can Bolster Your Brain Health & Mood - mindbodygreen.com - October 22nd, 2021
- The Ideal Color To Surround Yourself With Right Now, According To Astrologers - mindbodygreen.com - October 22nd, 2021
- A.I. Predicts the Shapes of Molecules to Come - The New ... - October 20th, 2021
- These weird virtual creatures evolve their bodies to solve problems - MIT Technology Review - October 20th, 2021
- As Great Resignation Draws On, Smaller Teams and Larger Workloads, Concerns Over Retention Top of Mind for Leaders - Business Wire - October 20th, 2021
- Global Mindfulness Meditation Apps Market 2021 Industry Insights and Major Players are Deep Relax, Smiling Mind, Inner Explorer, Inc. Radford... - October 15th, 2021
- Google Proposes ARDMs: Efficient Autoregressive Models That Learn to Generate in any Order - Synced - October 15th, 2021
- Here's what's big for AI this year, according to the annual State of AI report - Morning Brew - October 15th, 2021
- Google DeepMind AI: Heres how it can bring a revolution in weather forecasting - Yahoo Singapore News - October 12th, 2021
- Now AI Tells You If It Will Pour In The Next Two Hours - Analytics India Magazine - October 12th, 2021
- Global Blockchain Technology in Healthcare Market (2021 to 2026) - Featuring Accenture, Capgemini and DeepMind Health Among Others -... - October 12th, 2021
- 10 Most Popular Google AI Projects that Everyone Should Know - Analytics Insight - October 12th, 2021
- How this company is using data-driven drug discovery to fight disease - The Globe and Mail - October 12th, 2021
- DeepMind tells Google it has no idea how to make AI less toxic - The Next Web - September 23rd, 2021
- There are some important things to keep in mind for first time home buyers - KTBS - September 23rd, 2021
- Easy exploring: The best things to do in Deep Cove | Curated - Daily Hive - September 23rd, 2021
- The Secrets of The Worlds Greatest Freediver - GQ Magazine - September 23rd, 2021
- How to find peace of mind during the COVID-19 pandemic's delta surge | Opinion - Tennessean - September 23rd, 2021
- WONDERFUL THINGS: Perfect peace in a troubled world from Jesus - Destin Log - September 23rd, 2021
- The Best Social Media Reactions and Memes at the 2021 Met Gala - Yahoo Lifestyle - September 15th, 2021
- Researchers lay the groundwork for an AI hive mind - The Next Web - September 15th, 2021
- Infinite Memory Transformer: Attending to Arbitrarily Long Contexts Without Increasing Computation Burden - Synced - September 15th, 2021
- It takes a village: how Asics got a small town to lace up and raise money for Mind UK - The Drum - September 15th, 2021
- EY study deep dives into financial protection gap - Insurance Business - September 15th, 2021
- Peptone: Putting molecular physics at the heart of UK's next billion-pound pharma company - Yahoo Money - September 15th, 2021
- Vigil episode four recap Silva and the crew are in deep water - The Guardian - September 13th, 2021
- How to cultivate a 'big mind' to deal with everyday stresses | HeraldNet.com - The Daily Herald - September 13th, 2021
- THE BOOK NOOK: Deep behind the scenes of 9/11 - Niagara Gazette - September 13th, 2021
- How 7 years of dirt is deep cleaned from mattresses - Insider - September 13th, 2021
- A therapy called rhythm that creates impact on the body and the mind - Onmanorama - September 13th, 2021
- Bidens abortion clash with the Catholic Church - POLITICO - September 13th, 2021
- God's mysterious riches, wisdom, and knowledge - Leawood - Church of the Resurrection - September 13th, 2021
- Google pulls the plug on DeepMind-developed health app Streams - Business Insider - September 1st, 2021
- Where the mind is without fear - The Times of India Blog - September 1st, 2021
- Global Cognitive Computing in Retail Market, By Component, By Technology, By Deployment, By Application, By Region, Competition Forecast &... - September 1st, 2021
- U.S. households and small businesses have stockpiled a mind-blowing record cash pile of almost $17 trillion - MarketWatch - August 26th, 2021
- What would it be like to be a conscious AI? We might never know. - MIT Technology Review - August 26th, 2021
- Google Health Disbanded; Staff Sent To Other Divisions - Silicon UK - August 26th, 2021
- Zen and the art of fly-fishing in Sweden a photo essay - The Guardian - August 26th, 2021
- 7 Ways to Stop Racing Thoughts at Night and Get to Sleep - Livestrong - August 26th, 2021
- Possumhaw: Out of sight, out of mind - The Dispatch - The Commercial Dispatch - August 24th, 2021
- This Special Nature Writing Ritual Will Connect You To Your Divine Feminine - mindbodygreen.com - August 24th, 2021
- Shipwrecked: A Shocking Tale of Love, Loss, and Survival in the Deep Blue Sea - Boston magazine - August 24th, 2021
- AllDay notes after deeper reading of the prospectus - Philstar.com - August 24th, 2021
- UCSD & Microsoft Improve Image Recognition With Extremely Low FLOPs - Synced - August 24th, 2021
- Are These the Hidden Deepfakes in the Anthony Bourdain Movie? - WIRED - August 24th, 2021
- Scientists report new findings on the role that fish play in balancing coral, algae on reefs - ASU Now - August 24th, 2021
- Accurate prediction of protein structures and interactions using a three-track neural network - Science Magazine - August 22nd, 2021
- The Wonders That Live at the Very Bottom of the Sea - The New York Times - August 22nd, 2021
- Tamo J is 'digging up deep-rooted issues' in therapy - Jamaica Gleaner - August 22nd, 2021
- How to use 'progressive muscle relaxation' to calms stress and ease anxiety - GLAMOUR UK - August 22nd, 2021
- Review: 'Sister Sorry' plunges deep into a shadowy abyss of the psyche. But are its characters worth caring about? - Berkshire Eagle - August 22nd, 2021
- Always on your mind - The New Indian Express - August 22nd, 2021
- This Former Pastor Is Changing Evangelicals' Minds on COVID Vaccines Mother Jones - Mother Jones - August 22nd, 2021
- How DeepMind's John Jumper unlocked the 3D secret to proteins - Fast Company - August 14th, 2021
- How to avoid falling asleep during meditation - The Indian Express - August 14th, 2021
- A New Review of Dozens of Studies Found These Are the 8 Most Effective Ways to Stop Worrying and Calm Your Mind - Inc. - August 14th, 2021
- Four Policies that Government Can Pursue to Advance Trustworthy AI - uschamber.com - August 14th, 2021
- England vs India 2nd Test, Day 3 as it happened: Roots marathon ton guides hosts to 27-run lead - Scroll.in - August 14th, 2021
- Deshbhakti Curriculum to be implemented in Delhi Govt schools. Here is what it will cover - Mint - August 14th, 2021
- Trouble at Google's DeepMind and tech workers not going back to the office - Business Insider - August 8th, 2021
- Embodied AI, superintelligence and the master algorithm - TechCrunch - August 8th, 2021
- Alserkal is serving up isolation tanks and other mind altering activities this month - Time Out Dubai - August 8th, 2021
- Tshola had a generous heart and mind - IOL - August 8th, 2021
- Keeping the faith: Remembering gratitude can help us extend love to others, transform world - The Columbus Dispatch - August 8th, 2021
- AI use cases are expanding and evolving in healthcare - Tech Wire Asia - August 1st, 2021
- DeepMind releases massive database of 3D protein structures - STAT - STAT - July 25th, 2021
- DeepMinds AI uncovers structure of 98.5 per cent of human proteins - News Nation USA - July 25th, 2021
- Good Morning, News: $600000 Settlement for 2017 PPB Killing, Deep Pockets Try Influencing MultCo DA, and Everything is GREAT at the Olympics! - The... - July 25th, 2021
- DeepMind open-sources AlphaFold 2 for protein structure predictions - VentureBeat - July 21st, 2021
- DeepMind's AlphaFold 2 reveal: Convolutions are out, attention is in - ZDNet - July 21st, 2021
- AI in Healthcare Market Growing Trade Among Emerging Economies Opening New Opportunities (2021-2031) | Nuance Communications, Inc., DeepMind... - July 21st, 2021
- Self-driving data centres: Managing the transition from human-to-AI workload management - IT Brief Australia - July 21st, 2021
- The scene is set | Royal St George's | The 149th Open - The Open - July 14th, 2021
- Tech Companies Leading the Cognitive Computing Race in 2021 - Analytics Insight - July 14th, 2021
- Science fiction: From hero's tales to deep thoughts - The Daily Advance - July 14th, 2021