After appearing in five films in Marvels Infinity Saga and eight episodes of WandaVision, Wanda Maximoff has finally been given a moniker to match her reality-bending abilities: the Scarlet Witch.
Though weve all likely referred to Wanda as the Scarlet Witch at some point over the last half-decade, Agatha Harkness is somehow the first to ever do it in the MCU. This makes sense in the larger context of the MCU, which has placed little emphasis on Wandas character or the roots of her magical powers. Up until this series, weve had to turn to outside materials to intuit anything about the character. But picking up right where the last episode left off, WandaVision uses its penultimate episode to take Wanda deeper into the world of witchcraft. Like many of the series very literal episode titles, this weeks installment is fittingly called Previously On. In it, Agatha and Wanda revisit some of the most crucial moments of Wandas life before finally unveiling how the Westview Anomaly came to be, while rewriting a proper origin story for the Scarlet Witch in the process.
But the episode also explains Agathas story. Despite appearing young in WandaVision, it turns out that shes oldreally oldlike she is in the comics. The episode begins in Salem, Massachusetts, in 1693, in the midst of the infamous Salem witch trials. But instead of being captured by a horde of angry villagers, Agatha is being tried by a group of fellow witches who are attempting to bring her to justice after finding out that shes been performing dark magic. However, Agathas witchcraft overwhelms the entire coven, as she seems to absorb their energy to de-age all of them. (Meaning: She turns them all into ghoulish corpses, rather than, like, stars of The Irishman.)
Centuries later, Agathas quest for power continues as she tries to understand how Wanda was able to cast a spell strong enough to simultaneously take control of thousands of people and create an entire town of illusions; a display of magic on autopilot. As Agatha holds Billy and Tommy ransom, she takes Wanda on a sad trip through some of the most important moments of Wandas life, as she attempts to solve the mystery of how the Scarlet Witch came to be.
For this weeks recap, were going to switch things up and break down each of those four memories, before checking in on Visions new look heading into next weeks season finale.
The first memory that Wanda and Agatha revisit is from Wandas childhood: the last time she and her brother saw her parents alive. As Agatha quips, the Maximoff residence has a Cold War aesthetic, with echoes of gunfire coming in from the streets of war-torn Sokovia. For the first time, we glimpse Wandas parents, Iryna and Olek, as well as young Wanda, who is still happy and innocent before the first of many tragedies strike. The scene is also a callback to the Maximoff twins backstory, which Pietro explains to Ultron in 2015s Avengers: Age of Ultron:
We were 10 years old. Having dinner, the four of us. When the first shell hits, two floors below, it makes a hole in the floor. Its big. Our parents go in and the whole building starts coming apart. I grab her, roll under the bed, and the second shell hits. But it doesnt go off. It just sits there in the rubble, three feet from our faces. And on the side of the shell is painted one word.
As Pietro retells their tragic call to action, Wanda interjects with that one-word punch line: Stark. The twins add that they were trapped under that bed for two days waiting to be rescued or for Tony Starks missile to explode and kill thembut it never did.
With just a wee bit of clever retconning to smooth away the six-year gap between the scenes, WandaVision replays that Age of Ultron story in full, while also showing how the event is buried deep into Wandas subconscious. Rather than sitting around a dinner table, the Maximoff family is huddled around a television set watching an episode of The Dick Van Dyke Show. It turns out that watching old American sitcoms was a Maximoff family tradition; a fun way to learn English. Wanda has a seemingly encyclopedic knowledge of Dick Van Dyke, but her fathers collection goes way deeper than that. Suddenly, its clear where Wanda was getting her source material for her own sitcom re-creations:
As Wanda, Pietro, and their parents watch the show with glee, the first shell hits. Just as they explained to that genocidal robot Ultron, Wanda and Pietro crawl under the bed just before the second shell hits. But the bomb didnt fail to go off out of sheer dumb luck. As Agatha explains, young Wanda used a probability hex to render it defective. So, what I see here is a baby witch, obsessed with sitcoms, and years of therapy ahead of her, Agatha concludes. Doesnt explain your recent hijinks.
Up until now, Wandas powers had been stated as being manufactured in a lab through the help of the Mind Stone. Largely unimpressed by the revelation of Wandas natural-born abilities, Agatha keeps the show moving along.
Next up: Wanda heads to HYDRA. The HYDRA facility in Sokovia, where we first properly met Wanda and Pietro in Age of Ultron, was alleged to be the place where the siblings acquired their superpowers after Baron Strucker exposed them to the energy from Lokis scepter. Yet, as WandaVision now re-explains, it turns out that the Scepter only enhanced Wandas existing powers.
Agatha and Wanda watch as Past Wanda enters a room that contains the scepter. Over the intercom, the HYDRA scientists direct her to touch the scepter, but before she can even approach it, the Mind Stone frees itself and approaches her. As Wanda reaches out to touch it, the Mind Stone bursts out of its outer blue shell, andshrouded in the stones emanating orange lightWanda sees the Scarlet Witch emerge before her:
Wanda collapses to the ground, but unlike previous subjects who came into contact with the magical gem, she survives. The scientists return her to isolation, where Wanda can later be seen eerily sitting in her cell in silence, using her mind to project an episode of The Brady Bunch onto a TV screen. (Or at least, it seems like shes projecting the show with her mind. If not, HYDRA really has to reconsider how it accommodates their test subjects.)
Little orphan Wanda got up close and personal with an Infinity Stone that amplified what otherwise wouldve died on the vine, Agatha helpfully summarizes.
Following Pietros death in Age of Ultron, Wanda traveled to her new home at the Avengers compound in America. Now, with Agatha still guiding the tour, present-day Wanda finds her past self deep in depression, yet also learning how to love againall while Bryan Cranston acts a fool on Malcolm in the Middle in the background.
Wanda is sitting alone in her room watching TV when Vision enters through the wall to try to console her. Given Wandas initially cold response to Vision, as well as the robots still nascent understanding of human interaction, its clear this scene takes place in the very early stages of their relationship. When Wanda realizes that Vision is only trying to help, she opens up, and explains how she feels like shes drowning in her grief as she mourns her brother. Though he may not know much about sitcoms, Vision strings together all the right words in response. It cant all be sorrow, can it? Vision asks her. Ive always been alone, so I dont feel the lack. Its all Ive ever known. Ive never experienced loss because I have never had a loved one to lose. But what is grief, if not love persevering?
The last bit is a hell of a line and a genuinely touching moment from the ever-noble synthezoid, as Vision (and Cranston) is able to bring a smile to Wandas face againbut it doesnt seem to do much for Agatha. So to recap, Agatha says with a sigh. Parents dead, brother dead, Vision dead. What happened when he wasnt there to pull you back from the darkness, Wanda?
While Wanda cries after reliving the moment when she likely fell in love with Vision, Agatha has no chillwhich we already really knew after she gloated about killing a dogand continues to push Wanda deeper into her memory to unpack how she created Westview. And finally, with enough of a push, Wanda brings us to the day it all went down.
Agatha and Wanda arrive at S.W.O.R.D. headquarters to watch as Past Wanda hopes to reclaim Visions corpse following his death at the hands of Thanos. And though director Hayward had previously shown clips of Wanda storming S.W.O.R.D. headquarters to steal Visions body in the fifth episode, the whole event plays out just a little bit differently than how Hayward had framed it.
After Wanda briefly gets held up in the lobby, Hayward agrees to hear her out as she makes her case for taking Visions body so she can properly bury him. Unsurprisingly, Hayward sees Vision as a multibillion-dollar piece of propertya powerful sentient weaponand refuses. And then, like an absolute dick, he proudly shows Wanda how his team is dismantling Visions body, stripping him for parts like an old car. Using enough force to raise some eyebrows (and some guns), Wanda takes a shortcut into the lab to get a closer look at her lovers desecrated corpse. When she cant feel any trace of Vision left in his lifeless body, however, she simply leaves empty-handed, returning to her car in peace.
But Wandas memory doesnt end there. She drives all the way to Westview, New Jersey, passing by some familiar facessuch as Herb, Phil, and Mrs. Hartwho are carrying out their regular lives in what is a noticeably run-down community. She eventually pulls up to an empty plot of land and pulls out a property deed granted to Wanda Maximoff and Vision. Walking right into the center of where their house wouldve stood, Wanda falls to her knees, and unleashes griefand her powersin full. In a matter of seconds, Wanda builds their home, sends Westview back to the 1950s, re-creates Vision from scratch, and brings us back to where WandaVision all started.
Finally satisfied, Agatha ends the tour of Wandas most personal memories with a classic slow clap. She vanishes into a cloud of her trademark purple smoke, reappearing out on the street rocking some spooky new clothes and with the twins in captivity:
You have no idea how dangerous you are, Agatha tells Wanda. Youre supposed to be a myth. A being capable of spontaneous creation, and here you are, using it to make breakfast for dinner. This is chaos magic, Wanda. And that makes you the Scarlet Witch.
After seeing Wandas life story unfold, Agatha concludes that Wanda is a powerful witch of mythical proportionseven if she doesnt know it. All season long, Agatha had remained under the shadowy (and sassy) guise of Agnes, studying Wandas actions while carefully manipulating her along the way. In the eighth episode, we learn that her motive was to understand how Wanda could unleash such powerful magic so that she too could wield it, but in the end, she finds out that Wandas abilities are only the stuff of legend. (And being ancient herself, Agatha should know.)
After fully realizing her true roots, and watching her children dangled before her, it may be time for the Scarlet Witch to properly introduce herself to Westview.
Hidden within another sneaky mid-credits scene was a moment worthy of being a episode-ending cliff-hanger itself, as S.W.O.R.D. finally launches its secretive Project Cataract. Using energy from Wandas Westview hex as a source of power, director Hayward finishes off the plan he had all along: bringing Vision back to life. Though it appears that he successfully brought his sentient weapon back online, however, the Vision that awakens is by no means the same synthezoid that was worthy of lifting Thors hammer.
The all-white version of Vision has ties to the comic books, most notably in his Vision Quest story arc from the West Coast Avengers in the 1980s. Like in WandaVision, the white Vision is created after his original body is destroyed, dismantled, and pieced back together. But just as his new synthezoid skin is devoid of all color, the resurrected Vision has lost all traces of his humanity.
Looking ahead to next weeks season finale, the stakes are set. The newly dubbed Scarlet Witch is about to throw magical hands with Agatha Harkness in order to save her childrenand potentially herself. The original Vision (or, at least, Wandas re-creation of him) is still flying around somewhere in search of his wife, while a S.W.O.R.D.-manufactured copy is moments away from being sent into Westview to kill Wanda. Darcys still riding around in a funnel cake truck, and Monica, with her recently acquired superpowers, is likely being held captive by Fake Pietro. (Speaking of which, if the internet was able to make a rock rendition of Agatha All Along within 24 hours, I really hope someone out there whips up a photoshop of Guy Fietro in the very near future.)
Come back next week as we find out how it all ends, and how the Scarlet Witch will manage to find herself in the multiverse of madness.
Originally posted here:
WandaVision Recap: How Wanda Became the Scarlet Witch - The Ringer
- Validation and clinical applicability of a deep learning system for retinal disease (Tuesday, 10th August 2021) City, University of London - City,... - June 16th, 2021
- Physical works out the dark side of the mind in an honest way - Metro US - June 16th, 2021
- The Number One Voice Certain To Drive Your Leadership Off The Deep End - Forbes - June 16th, 2021
- Consumer Companies Bail on Non-Core Assets: "Deep is the New Wide" - Mergers & Acquisitions - June 16th, 2021
- Bengio Team Proposes Flow Network-Based Generative Models That Learn a Stochastic Policy From a Sequence of Actions - Synced - June 16th, 2021
- It's more than just skin-deep: Feel and look amazing with Bubble Skincare | Sponsored - Harvard Crimson - June 16th, 2021
- AI in Healthcare Market Drivers, Challenges, Opportunities and Competitive Strategy Over 2021-2031 | Nuance Communications, Inc., DeepMind... - June 16th, 2021
- NVIDIA and the battle for the future of AI chips - Wired.co.uk - June 16th, 2021
- Accelerating Deep Learning on the JVM with Apache Spark and NVIDIA GPUs - InfoQ.com - June 16th, 2021
- AI in Europe: Who's leading the way and where is it heading? - Siliconrepublic.com - June 16th, 2021
- Review: Bo Burnhams Inside is a successful depiction of a lonely mind - Los Angeles Times - June 16th, 2021
- Alma Allens biomorphic sculptures have minds of their own - Wallpaper* - June 16th, 2021
- AI In Healthcare Market Rapid Growth USD 120 Bn by 2028| IBM Corporation, NVIDIA Corporation, Nuance Communications, Microsoft, Intel Corporation,... - June 16th, 2021
- Microsoft & OneFlow Leverage the Efficient Coding Principle to Design Unsupervised DNN Structure-Learning That Outperforms Human-Designed... - June 4th, 2021
- Machine Learning Artificial intelligence Market Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends And Forecast To 2027 | AIBrain, Amazon, Anki,... - June 4th, 2021
- Mind the gap: why training is vital to pursuing transgender inclusion - TrainingZone.co.uk - June 4th, 2021
- Phaidra raises more cash from Mark Cuban and others to build the future of industrial automation - GeekWire - May 24th, 2021
- DeepMind reportedly lost a yearslong bid to win more independence from Google - The Verge - May 24th, 2021
- Aging With Honor and Dignity: An Intuitive Approach for Men - The Good Men Project - May 24th, 2021
- Damien Harris clearly wouldn't mind a trade that lands Julio Jones with Patriots - Patriots Wire - May 24th, 2021
- AI in Healthcare Market Rugged Expansion Foreseen by 2031 | Nuance Communications, Inc., DeepMind Technologies Limited, IBM Corporation The Courier -... - May 24th, 2021
- AI in Healthcare Market in deep Research about Growth & Competitive Analysis by 2021-2031 | Nuance Communications, Inc., DeepMind Technologies... - May 24th, 2021
- Dallas Comedy House Will Reopen With a New Name and Look - Eater Dallas - May 24th, 2021
- 3 Major Benefits of a Long-Term Insurance Carrier Relationship - Senior Housing News - May 24th, 2021
- IoT Cloud Company Tuya Smart Holds Meeting on Fast-tracked Connectivity and Innovation Amid COVID-19 Pandemic - Synced - May 24th, 2021
- DeepMind extends hunt for the worlds best A.I. researchers to Toronto - CNBC - May 10th, 2021
- ECO V2 by Pangeanic: Deep Adaptive Machine Translation Document Translator and Anonymization Solution - PRNewswire - May 10th, 2021
- Matters of the Mind: Compassion fatigue, vicarious trauma and hopelessness - The Indian Express - May 10th, 2021
- Prison education alums work with undergrads on theater piece | Cornell Chronicle - Cornell Chronicle - May 10th, 2021
- AI in Healthcare Market Insights, Deep Analysis of Key Vendor in the Industry 2021-2030 | Nuance Communications, Inc., DeepMind Technologies Limited,... - May 2nd, 2021
- Matisse & Sadko unveil the mind bending progressive tune 'Heal Me' - We Rave You - May 2nd, 2021
- The Deep-Sea Podcast review: The mind-boggling mysteries of the deep - New Scientist - May 1st, 2021
- Three Books: Zena Hitz *05 on a Life of the Mind - Princeton Alumni Weekly - May 1st, 2021
- Flavor 1st has Georgia on its mind | Produce News - TheProduceNews.com - May 1st, 2021
- Young attorney digs deep to make a genuine mark in the profession - Loop News Jamaica - May 1st, 2021
- Figures of Speech: 40 Ways to Improve your Writing - Visual Capitalist - May 1st, 2021
- Tony Bailie's Take on Nature: Bear in mind the simple principles of Leave No Trace - The Irish News - May 1st, 2021
- Food & Wine names 10 best pizza states in America and New York isnt in the top spot - KXAN.com - May 1st, 2021
- Essence Group Announces 'Peace of Mind' Strategy as Top Objective of All Future IoT Products and Services - PRNewswire - April 28th, 2021
- Centring of The Mind - Economic Times - April 28th, 2021
- PLU professors and students dive deep into the psychology of the pandemic - Pacific Lutheran University - April 28th, 2021
- Derby Undercard: Eclipse Winner Whitmore is a fan favorite in deep field of 13 for the Churchill Downs - Past The Wire - April 28th, 2021
- How Luxury Travel Is Leading the Recovery: A Skift Deep Dive - Skift - April 28th, 2021
- 'I recall it with deep despair': North Sea marks five years since Norway helicopter crash - News for the Oil and Gas Sector - Energy Voice - April 28th, 2021
- Single-Use Plastics Found at the Deepest Points of the Ocean - Technology Networks - April 28th, 2021
- Global Ai In Healthcare Market Top 10 Key players in 2021 |DeepMind Technologies Limited, IBM Corporation, Nuance Communications Inc, Microsoft,... - April 28th, 2021
- Has pharma missed the boat? - PharmaTimes - April 28th, 2021
- BlanQuil weighted blankets: Products and brand review - Medical News Today - April 28th, 2021
- A New Book Explores the Connections Between Music, Physics, and Neuroscience - Columbia University - April 28th, 2021
- Global Mindfulness Meditation Apps Market (2020) to Witness Huge Growth by 2026 | Deep Relax, Smiling Mind, Inner Explorer, Inc., Committee for... - April 19th, 2021
- Line of Duty, season 6 episode 5 recap: Davidson is in deep but who fired those cliffhanger shots? - The Telegraph - April 19th, 2021
- Calvin University Selects Noah Toly As Provost - News - Calvin News - April 19th, 2021
- I'm an insomniac who's tried everything from meds to sleep sprays. This meditation app is the only thing that' - Business Insider India - April 19th, 2021
- 'We've had this in mind for some time' - Gosden aims for another Blue Riband win - Racing Post - April 19th, 2021
- What two pieces of unrelated pop culture are forever connected in your mind? - The A.V. Club - April 19th, 2021
- Bringing China-US ties where they need to be - Chinadaily.com.cn - China Daily - April 8th, 2021
- Deep in the heart of the Texas Butterfly Ranch - The Picayune - April 8th, 2021
- Cultivating a Diverse and Inclusive Culture: Recruiting - ATD - ATD - ATD - April 8th, 2021
- The Mavericks Who Brought AI to the World - Review of Genius Makers by Cade Metz - Forbes - April 8th, 2021
- 'I can't unsee them': Rockland woman copes with trauma from Haiti earthquake by writing - Enterprise News - April 8th, 2021
- Q&A: How The Atlantic's Ed Yong navigated a year of deep coronavirus coverage - Poynter - April 8th, 2021
- Healthcare AI Market 2021 Is Rapidly Increasing Worldwide in Near Future | Top Companies Analysis- Apple, GE Healthcare, Google Deepmind Health, IBM... - April 8th, 2021
- Easter is when we go deep into the enduring stories of death and life - The National - April 4th, 2021
- How Open Source is Driving the Future of Data Science - RTInsights - April 4th, 2021
- Space Regime in Deep Distress: Experts The Diplomat - The Diplomat - April 4th, 2021
- Gulf News webinar to focus on fasting with health conditions during Ramadan | Uae - Gulf News - April 4th, 2021
- When it rains, it floods, and you better know what to do - Columbia Daily Herald - April 4th, 2021
- Opera Meets Film: How Opera is Used to Immerse Us Deeper into Anthony's Mind in 'The Father' - OperaWire - April 2nd, 2021
- Dive Deep Into These Mind-Blowing Underwater Photographer of the Year Entries - Yahoo News - April 2nd, 2021
- Sunfield Farm and Waldorf School dig deep to the root of learning - Port Townsend Leader - April 2nd, 2021
- Dear Eonni: A Filipino UAENA respects Lilac singer IU as a lyricist because her songs are 'active and awake' - PINKVILLA - April 2nd, 2021
- AI in Healthcare Market Is Set to Experience Revolutionary Growth by 2030 | Nuance Communications, Inc., DeepMind Technologies Limited KSU | The... - April 2nd, 2021
- Brain Tracking: Unraveling Mysteries of the Human Mind - WGEM - April 2nd, 2021
- On My Mind: The Solution To Gun Violence? More Guns, Apparently - WFAE - April 2nd, 2021
- System on Chips And The Modern Day Motherboards - Analytics India Magazine - April 2nd, 2021
- Artificial Intelligence Drug R&D: Market By New Business Developments, Innovations, And Top Companies Forecast To 2025 | Gatehouse Bio, Google... - April 2nd, 2021
- Artificial intelligence kept expanding through a turbulent year, with some exceptions - ZDNet - March 21st, 2021
- The Book Corner: The Deep by Rivers Solomon, Daveed Diggs, William Hutson, and Jonathan Snipes - University Press - March 21st, 2021
- 12-foot-deep sinkhole 'accidentally' discovered near Williams Arts Center The Lafayette - The Lafayette - March 21st, 2021
- DeepMind is building a team of A.I. researchers in New York - CNBC - March 16th, 2021