Yetunde Odunsi is a Nollywood actress who features in both Yoruba and English movies such as Benefactor, Blood for love, Alaamu, Agidi Okon, and several more. In this Interview, she talks about her journey in the movie industry, roles she played, and her vision for the future. Excerpts:
Weekend Magazine: How did your journey into the movie industry begin?
Yetunde Odunsi: I have always loved watching people act on screen. Despite the fact that I was a shy person who couldnt sing or dance, I had a deep conviction that acting was my talent. Im a single mother and my daughter inspired my acting career. Once, I decided that I wanted to make a name for my beloved daughter and that could only be achieved when my own name becomes popular.
My cousin, Rotimi Salami, brought me into the movie industry where I trained under Wale Ilebiyi and Damola Olatunji brought me to limelight when I featured in his movies.
Dear our valued reader, we would like to hear your view about a membership club that we plan to launch. Kindly help us fill this survey.
My first time on set was in Aja, Lagos State. I went to see aunty Orwell Ademola who was the director of the movie. I did just one scene and everyone was amazed. At 2am in the morning, she drove me all the way from Aja to Iyana paja so I could get close to my home.
WM: Did you have your familys support when you delved into acting?
Odunsi: My father said he had heard so many negative reports about female actors and so he was not in total support. My mother was not against it because I had a cousin in the industry who is doing well. The crux of the family situation was that I am a grown-up and I wasnt going to feed or demand from them. All I needed was their blessings.
WM: What role challenged you the most?
Odunsi: I have featured in English movies like Benefactor, Blood for Love, 24hours, and those in Yoruba such as Semilore, Oko Mi Omo Mi, Alaamu, and many others. The latest titled Cryptic is going to be released soon. So far, I would say every role I played was challenging because I try to portray someone else and do it as though it were real. For instance, I consider the role of a doctor complex at times because of the professional terminologies involved while conversing.
WM: What keeps you inspired?
Odunsi: I had wanted to give up so many times. But even when I feel tired and need some time to rest, I cannot rest all because of my daughter. She is the main reason I remain strong. I want her to be able to stand boldly anywhere in this world and be proud of me. She inspires me.
WM: What role do you look forward to playing?
Odunsi: I want a daring role that requires me to be an aggressive person that nags, shouts and is wicked. I would also like to do the role of a mentally ill person. I really want to see how this madness will look like.
WM: Once, in an accident scene, you acted dead. What ran through your mind at that time?
Odunsi: This question is deep. Sincerely; in that pool of blood on set; I was earnestly praying that after that, it would not be my last job. That I would not die in reality. A striking thought came to me that one day, despite everything I run after in this life, I will lie lifeless and everything will be vanity. This struck me hard and I thought about my daughter and what she would think of me when I am gone. So, that fateful day, I prayed to God almighty that may this not be the end of me.
The rest is here:
What came to mind when I acted dead - Daily Trust
- Yes, Mr Cummings, energy efficiency is boring if you have a one inch deep mind - The Fifth Estate - July 7th, 2020
- Breaking News - Documentary "Stockton on My Mind" Debuts July 28 on HBO - The Futon Critic - July 7th, 2020
- The Importance and the Consequences of Writing a Will - The Wire - July 7th, 2020
- Deep cultural shifts required: open letter from 500 legal women calls for reform of way judges are appointed and disciplined - UNSW Newsroom - July 7th, 2020
- Married to the Military: Dont neglect your mental health - The Fayetteville Observer - July 7th, 2020
- Suddenly, The Investment Market Comes Out Of The Deep Freeze - Bisnow - July 7th, 2020
- In Conversation: Thandie Newton - Vulture - July 7th, 2020
- Backstory: Emergency by Any Other Name Cuts as Deep - The Wire - July 4th, 2020
- FAMILY MATTERS: Open eyes and mind to teen's ascent to adulthood - Eagle-Tribune - July 4th, 2020
- Experts see 'deep trouble' for Trump overcoming plummet in the polls - Missoula Current - July 4th, 2020
- Love that stifles... - Deccan Herald - July 4th, 2020
- The long road back from COVID-19 - The Boston Globe - July 4th, 2020
- The Ripple: Healing Divisive Minds and Grieving Hearts - Aledo Times Record - July 2nd, 2020
- Deep sea coral garden found in the unlikeliest of places - Metro.co.uk - July 2nd, 2020
- Georgia on my mind - The Parliament Magazine - July 2nd, 2020
- COVID-19 and Teletherapy May Be Changing How Much You Know About Your Therapist - Michigan Medicine - July 2nd, 2020
- A conversation about racism opened my eyes The Foothills Focus - Foothills Focus - July 2nd, 2020
- Eric and Wendy Schmidt back Cambridge University effort to equip researchers with A.I. skills - CNBC - June 29th, 2020
- Change Our Mind: it is your civic duty to buy performance estates - Top Gear - June 29th, 2020
- Research: Artificial neural networks are more similar to the brain than we thought - TNW - June 29th, 2020
- Moving forward by turning to the past: Oregon Historical Quarterly takes a deep dive into Oregons white supremacist roots - KGW.com - June 29th, 2020
- Trump's scorched-earth handling of environment extends to oceans too - Las Vegas Sun - June 29th, 2020
- Is that really everything you have to give? | Yon - Tallahassee Democrat - June 29th, 2020
- Why Facebook chose to open its first European A.I. lab in Paris and not London - CNBC - June 23rd, 2020
- Decoding the link between Artificial Neural Networks and Deep Learning Algorithms - Analytics Insight - June 23rd, 2020
- Deftones' 'White Pony': 10 Things We Learned From Chino Moreno - Revolver Magazine - June 23rd, 2020
- Stranger Things: David Harbour compares Hopper to Gandalf the White - lcbcradio.com - June 23rd, 2020
- #9 Ways How Meditation Can Strengthen Our Mind, Body, and Soul - Entrepreneur - June 23rd, 2020
- Which Type of Yoga Should You Try? - United News of Bangladesh - June 23rd, 2020
- If You Want to Change, Start from the Ground Up - SFGate - June 23rd, 2020
- The Ripple: Equality and Balance is an Inside Job - Newton Press Mentor - June 20th, 2020
- Matters of the mind: Impact of lockdown and Covid-19 on marriages - The Indian Express - June 20th, 2020
- Something to Muench on: In a word, priceless! - The Cross Timbers Gazette - June 20th, 2020
- The race to develop AI chips heats up as Graphcore says it's shipped 'tens of thousands' - CNBC - June 9th, 2020
- Stay Home, Watch Horror: 5 Deep Space Horror Movies to Stream This Week - Bloody Disgusting - June 9th, 2020
- COVID-19 Pandemic Spurs Strong Demand for Cloud AI in Warehousing, Healthcare and Conversational AI - Olean Times Herald - June 9th, 2020
- Thanks To Renewables And Machine Learning, Google Now Forecasts The Wind - Forbes - June 2nd, 2020
- New York's state of mind: Part II -- Former TH reporter shares account of COVID-19 in Big Apple - telegraphherald.com - June 2nd, 2020
- Dalai Lama and UW expert share message of hope, determination, and education of the mind - University of Wisconsin-Madison - June 2nd, 2020
- The top ten Scottish bands ever (from the mind of Alan Partridge) Aidan Smith - The Scotsman - June 2nd, 2020
- 5 natural ways to boost your mental health during stressful times - wreg.com - June 2nd, 2020
- DeepMind's AI Can Predict the Progression of AMD Eye Condition - Analytics Insight - May 25th, 2020
- New AI from DeepMind and Google can detect a common cause of blindness - The Next Web - May 25th, 2020
- Best Deep Sleep Music To Calm Your Mind at Night - SheKnows - May 25th, 2020
- Crash mastered and all-time high in mind - Tradimo - May 25th, 2020
- 'This is my deep breath': New Jersey pro surfer returns to the water in Ventnor for the first time since coronavirus closed the beach - Press of... - May 25th, 2020
- Google wants to give 'superpowers' to clinicians. Today it's helping them find hotel rooms - FierceHealthcare - May 25th, 2020
- This free AI chatbot helps businesses fight COVID-19 misinformation - The Next Web - May 25th, 2020
- Orange Grove resident helps to heal your mind through sound - Rosebank Killarney Gazette - May 25th, 2020
- AI collaboration develops an 'early warning system' for AMD - AOP - May 25th, 2020
- Mind-Blowing Deep Cosmos Discovery: The Oldest Disk Galaxy From The Earliest Days Of The Universe - Dual Dove - May 25th, 2020
- Facebook's head of AI says Elon Musk 'has no idea what he is talking about' - Business Insider India - May 15th, 2020
- Elon Musk has a complex relationship with the A.I. community - CNBC - May 15th, 2020
- Mind the Digital Gap - World Coal - May 15th, 2020
- New "Mind the Gap" resource from IADSA focuses on threat to eye health from blue light - Nutritional Outlook - May 15th, 2020
- Lockdown really frees the mind to delve deep into thoughts of future - The National - May 15th, 2020
- 'Spring Rain' Is a Superb Graphic Memoir of the Vagaries of Mind and Memory - PopMatters - May 15th, 2020
- Henry Ford III is rising to top of dynasty in deep trouble - San Antonio Express-News - May 15th, 2020
- 6 Nutrition Tips to Help You Sleep Better and Run Faster - runnersworld.com - May 15th, 2020
- Plan2Explore adapts to exploration tasks without fine-tuning - VentureBeat - May 15th, 2020
- The Well Gardened Mind by Sue Stuart-Smith review unwinding with nature - The Guardian - May 6th, 2020
- Can the Modern Mind Find Peace Without Delusion? - On the elusiveness of gratitude and confidence in our times - Chabad.org - May 6th, 2020
- World Asthma Day 2020: Things asthma patients must keep in mind - The Indian Express - May 6th, 2020
- Deep-rooted canola holds on in the dry - Farm Weekly - May 6th, 2020
- Exploring the life and legacy of Selena, 25 years later - KHOU.com - May 6th, 2020
- Machine Learning Artificial intelligence Market 2020, Thrives the Growth at Impressive CAGR Over Forecast Period 2027 COVID-19 Impact on Global... - May 2nd, 2020
- Googles AI can adjust voice emotion, pitch, and speed with 30 minutes of data - VentureBeat - May 2nd, 2020
- The Original Pawleys Island Introduces the Comfort Collection Deep Seating Swing just in time for Mother's Day - PRNewswire - April 22nd, 2020
- 'Take Deep Breaths, Make Your Bed' Therapists Offer Tips for Maintaining Mental Health During the Coronavirus - Evanston RoundTable - April 22nd, 2020
- Putting AI to work against COVID-19 - PHG Foundation - April 22nd, 2020
- ''Like Free-Riding In Deep Snow - Inside The Mind Of A Red Bull Wingsuit Flyer - The Sportsman - April 12th, 2020
- How to meditate if you have never tried before - WHAS11.com - April 12th, 2020
- Apple, Google have teamed up to build system-level COVID-19 contact tracing, interoperable APIs for iOS, Android - MobiHealthNews - April 12th, 2020
- AUDIOBOOKS: Words, books and politics | - theberkshireedge.com - April 12th, 2020
- West Virginia peak now expected today, but Marsh says that doesn't mean back to normal right away - WV MetroNews - West Virginia MetroNews - April 12th, 2020
- DeepMinds AI models transition of glass from a liquid to a solid - VentureBeat - April 9th, 2020
- AI and the coronavirus fight: How artificial intelligence is taking on COVID-19 - ZDNet - April 9th, 2020
- Step away from the news and breathe - Waukon Standard - April 9th, 2020
- Companies are bracing for the toughest phase in business continuity: Karan Bajwa - Livemint - April 9th, 2020
- Applying Artificial Intelligence in the Fight Against The Coronavirus - HIT Consultant - April 1st, 2020