At the recently concluded NVIDIA GTC 2021 fall event, CEO Jensen Huang spoke extensively about the companys efforts and innovation in the digital health care sector. While healthcare has always been an important and exciting field for AI and digital tech-based innovation, the pandemic has shone a better light on it.
In this article, we discuss some important innovations and announcements from big tech companies in 2021.
Huang, in his keynote speech at the GTC 2021 event, said that business models would undergo revolution and Medical Device Software-as-a-Service solutions will replace medical instrument sales. He added, The industry needs a software-defined imaging platform to build this future on, just as the auto industry needed a software-defined AV platform. Today were announcing NVIDIA Clara Holoscan, a software, programmable, imaging platform.
The newly introduced Clara Holoscan is an AI computing platform for medical devices. It combines hardware systems for low-latency sensor and network connectivity, libraries for data processing and AI with core microservices. It can run streaming, imaging and other applications. The platform has been designed to speed up key workflow phases high-speed I/O, image processing, data processing, physics processing, and rendering. These applications can be deployed fully in instruments, in the hospital data centre, or hybrid.
Over the years, NVIDIA has made major inroads in the healthcare industry. For instance, in April this year, the company collaborated with AstraZeneca and the University of Florida for drug discovery and patient care AI research projects. In addition, in 2018, NVIDIA had launched an AI-based virtual medical imaging platform called Clara.
Googles parent company, Alphabet, recently launched Isomorphic Labs. This company, dedicated to drug discovery, will be headed by DeepMind founder and CEO Demis Hassabis. The companys launch comes on the heels of the AlphaFold 2 release. Touted as a major breakthrough in biology and medical research, AlphaFold from DeepMind solved the 50-year-old grand challenge of protein folding by predicting its 3D structure accurately right up to atom-level from its amino acid sequence.
Hassabi wrote in the launch blog that this was the right time to dedicate focus and resources to biological and medical research, something that Isomorphic Labs endeavours to do. Isomorphic Labs is a commercial venture that reimagines the drug discovery process from the AI-first perspective to model and understand fundamental mechanisms of life.
In July, Alphabet-owned research lab DeepMind made the AlphaFold 2.0 source code public. DeepMind hopes to offer easy access and better research opportunities in areas such as drug discovery.
The protein folding problem has been a major challenge among the research community. DeepMind first began working on it in 2016. It took about two years to release AlphaFold 1.0. While it was novel, it was good enough for carrying out any groundbreaking research. In 2020, the research lab released AlphaFold 2.0. It is an upgraded version composed of a subnetworks system integrated into a single differentiable model based on pattern recognition.
A few months later, DeepMind introduced AlphaFold Multimeter, a model to predict the structure of multi-chain protein complexes. It increases the accuracy of predicted multimeric interfaces and maintains high intra-chain accuracy.
Over the years, Microsoft has invested heavily in digital healthcare, and 2021 was no different. In one of the years biggest deals, Microsoft acquired Nuance, an AI platform for speech recognition at a staggering $16 billion. It is the second-largest deal in Microsofts history. Nuances tech powers Apples virtual assistant Siri and makes software for other healthcare and automotive sectors. Nuances major clinical speech recognition products include Dragon Ambient eXperience, Dragon Medical One, and PowerScribe One. All these SaaS offerings are built on Microsoft Azure.
Another major development in Microsofts digital health push came with its collaboration with AXA. The two companies have joined hands to build a digital healthcare platform that is open to all. This new platform will be built on the technology portfolio in Microsoft Cloud for Healthcare to derive patient insights without compromising patient privacy.
I am a journalist with a postgraduate degree in computer network engineering. When not reading or writing, one can find me doodling away to my hearts content.
- The Hard Way: Taking a trip through the wonderful mind of Callum Schorr - The Leaf-Chronicle - January 22nd, 2022
- They walked for hours in the frozen prairie darkness, and four didn't make it - National Post - January 22nd, 2022
- The latest iteration of Dr. Google - Axios - January 22nd, 2022
- Last voyage of the Kitty Hawk: Aircraft carrier with deep ties to San Diego heads to scrapyard - The San Diego Union-Tribune - January 22nd, 2022
- Meta's 'data2vec' is a step toward One Neural Network to Rule Them All - ZDNet - January 22nd, 2022
- 5 things to keep in mind when remodeling your home in Arizona - AZ Big Media - January 22nd, 2022
- How Anxiety Can Benefit Us - The New York Times - January 22nd, 2022
- The mechanics of memory are a mystery of the mind - Telegraph.co.uk - January 22nd, 2022
- Terrorists also victims, let them speak out: What late Zen Master Thich Nhat Hanh said in 2005 - ThePrint - January 22nd, 2022
- COLUMN: Finding food for your mind and heart - Cape Cod Times - January 22nd, 2022
- Peacemakers Butterrflies may be revealed by some weird DC comics - Polygon - January 16th, 2022
- Pioneering neurosurgeon explored the mind's mysteries and left behind secrets - The Globe and Mail - January 16th, 2022
- Bill Kirby: January brings the challenge of crossing the international dateline - The Augusta Chronicle - January 16th, 2022
- Bernard Tomic reveals Novak Djokovic comment that stuck into his mind - Tennis World USA - January 16th, 2022
- Valentino Khan Shares Heartwarming Story of Bob Saget's Reaction to "Deep Down Low" - EDM.com - January 16th, 2022
- Move your body for a healthy mind: Health experts weigh in on winter activity - WKOW - January 16th, 2022
- Nobel Laureates to discuss the future of science at Vietnams VinFuture Award Week - Yahoo Finance - January 16th, 2022
- Alibaba ponders its crystal ball to spy coming advances in AI and silicon photonics - The Register - January 16th, 2022
- How A.I. is set to evolve in 2022 - CNBC - January 10th, 2022
- This AI Software Nearly Predicted Omicrons Tricky Structure - WIRED - January 10th, 2022
- Are we witnessing the dawn of post-theory science? - The Guardian - January 10th, 2022
- QAD Partners with MothersonSumi INfotech & Designs Limited (MIND) to Sell and Deliver Services - Business Wire - January 10th, 2022
- The Enformer vs the Basenji - The AI Algorithms for gene expression predictions - Analytics India Magazine - January 10th, 2022
- Gal Gadot officially regrets the cursed Imagine video - i-D - January 10th, 2022
- LaChanze on Alice Childresss "Trouble in Mind" - The New York Times - January 10th, 2022
- I testified to help the prosecution send Louise Woodward to jail for murder but I changed my mind, says... - The Sun - January 10th, 2022
- Live Whole Health #105: Paced breathing - VAntage Point - VAntage Point Blog - January 10th, 2022
- How to Be a Fox: Secrets from the Baylands - Bay Nature - January 10th, 2022
- Rep. Perlmutter says he won't seek reelection in November | TheHill - The Hill - January 10th, 2022
- The New Houston - Think Realty - January 2nd, 2022
- 2022 Will Be The Most Loving Year In A Decade, Numerology Predicts - mindbodygreen.com - January 2nd, 2022
- Tom McCarthy's 'The Making of Incarnation' is a mind-bending international caper - theday.com - January 2nd, 2022
- Mastering mindfulness: Expert tips to attain peace of mind - The New Indian Express - January 2nd, 2022
- The time of year we're reminded to look deeply - Kitsap Sun - January 2nd, 2022
- Brian Cox's mind-blowing explanation of NASA's 'time machine' at depths of universe - Daily Express - January 2nd, 2022
- Our strongest weapon is ourselves, our army, our work and our mind, President Sarkissian says in New Year address Public Radio of Armenia - Public... - January 2nd, 2022
- Kinsler column: This weekend all roads lead to a bottle of Tums - Lancaster Eagle Gazette - January 2nd, 2022
- John Dorfman: Why I own only 2 of the Sacred Seven stocks - TribLIVE - December 29th, 2021
- Voices of 2021: The year that boggled our collective minds - The Times of Israel - December 29th, 2021
- Deep Conditioners You Should Have In Stock For Winter - The List - December 29th, 2021
- Council Post: Reflecting On The Cost Of Our Dream To Build General AI - Analytics India Magazine - December 29th, 2021
- Signs Your Visceral Fat is Making You Sick Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - December 29th, 2021
- 5 Tools to Cope With Anxiety When Therapy Isnt an Option - The Cut - December 29th, 2021
- DeepMind Releases Weather Forecasting AI Deep Generative Models of Rainfall - InfoQ.com - December 22nd, 2021
- 'Deep canvassing' has helped support gay and trans rights. What about abortion? : Shots - Health News - NPR - December 22nd, 2021
- Video: Dive Into 'The Deep' with Mark Matthews & His Custom Painted Shark Bike - Pinkbike.com - December 22nd, 2021
- At six, I realised the truth about Santa. How deep did the lies go? - The Guardian - December 22nd, 2021
- 2021 was the year of monster AI models - MIT Technology Review - December 22nd, 2021
- 2022 technology trend review, part two: AI and graphs - ZDNet - December 22nd, 2021
- Good Morning, Illini Nation: Deep dive on the AP Top 25 - Champaign/Urbana News-Gazette - December 22nd, 2021
- Deep Learning Market Growth, Size, Competitive Situation 2021, Trend Analysis, Product Scope, Industry, Factors, Share Estimation, Demand and Supply... - December 22nd, 2021
- When thinking of baby Jesus, remember the role Joseph played - Gaston Gazette - December 22nd, 2021
- In search of adventure, I headed to Switzerland to hike a glacier and paraglide never mind my lifelong fear of heights - Toronto Star - December 22nd, 2021
- DeepMind Cracks 'Knot' Conjecture That Bedeviled ... - December 8th, 2021
- Meadows said the 'only thing on my mind' was RBG's vacant seat when she died: book - Business Insider - December 8th, 2021
- DeepMinds AI lights path to faster drug development - December 8th, 2021
- The Best Science and Tech Breakthroughs of 2021 - Nerdist - December 8th, 2021
- Funding news: Cyrus lands $18M and buys startup developing COVID-19 therapeutic; Spare Labs snags $18M for mobility software - GeekWire - December 8th, 2021
- UC Berkeley's Sergey Levine Says Combining Self-Supervised and Offline RL Could Enable Algorithms That Understand the World Through Actions - Synced - December 8th, 2021
- Intel's Lesson for Alphabet The Information - The Information - December 8th, 2021
- Suspicion of the pharma industry runs deep - SWI swissinfo.ch - swissinfo.ch - December 8th, 2021
- Heres Exactly How Deep Breathing Can Improve Digestion, According to an RD - Well+Good - December 8th, 2021
- Greg Tate was the GOAT of Black cultural writing we could all learn from his genius - TheGrio - December 8th, 2021
- DeepMind's AI helps untangle the mathematics of knots - Nature.com - December 3rd, 2021
- AI proves a dab hand at pure mathematics and protein hallucination - TechCrunch - December 3rd, 2021
- Could Google's DeepMind AI Transform Healthcare? - Motley Fool - December 3rd, 2021
- The Science of Mind Reading - The New Yorker - December 3rd, 2021
- Mom blows TikToks mind with her dishwasher cleaning tips: Excuse me, what? - Yahoo Sports - December 3rd, 2021
- Stress affects more than the mind - University Press - December 3rd, 2021
- 5 Of The Best Deep Frying Pans You Need In Your Kitchen Setup - NDTV - December 3rd, 2021
- Volbeat: Servant Of The Mind - Louder - December 3rd, 2021
- 25 Grounding Techniques That Can Help Instantly Ease Anxiety - POPSUGAR - December 3rd, 2021
- Rooted in Country: Mike and the Moonpies on George Strait Deep Cut 'Rhythm of the Road' - Wide Open Country - December 3rd, 2021
- The Beatles meet 'The Lord of the Rings' in 'Get Back': 'It'll blow your mind,' says director Peter Jackson - theday.com - December 3rd, 2021
- Nunez finds her match with affirmation candles - The Kaplan Herald - December 3rd, 2021
- The big idea: Should we worry about artificial intelligence? - The Guardian - November 29th, 2021
- One of the Worlds Best-Funded Edtech Companies Is Investing In AI Moonshots. Can It Work? - EdSurge - November 29th, 2021
- Lin Wood Goes Off the Deep State Deep End, Accuses Trump Lawyer Sidney Powell and Stop the Steal of Grifting - Yahoo Entertainment - November 29th, 2021
- AI Innovations That Made Headlines In 2021 - Analytics India Magazine - November 29th, 2021
- Its all in the mind: Transforming from cost leaders to thought leaders - Livemint - November 29th, 2021